Deterring Bike Theft _ From your Vehicle

Hallzilla
9/21/2016 2:43pm
Well after yet another friend had his bike stolen out of the back of his truck mid day outside an eatery. It got me thinking about what can be done about this. Yes it was stolen in broad daylight outside of a restaurant.

I started doing a search and found this ..... They lock to both the truck and bike, with a cable inserted into the strap so they cannot be quickly cut.

Pricey ... But I think it's worth it of you want to grab a bite to eat after a day of moto without the worries of wondering if your bike will still be there when you finsih. Here in CA most of the tracks butt up to shit hole communities.

http://www.lockstraps.com/

|
Jmicmoto13
9/21/2016 3:32pm
I like it. I always run a cable lock through the rear wheel and around the shock at all times, even when in my garage. A rotor lock and always keeping it in gear are the only other things I do to try and deter a dumb, rushed criminal.
Josh422
9/21/2016 3:34pm
Big ol' fat cable to lock up. I drive an F-150 that had anchors at the bottom of the bed when I bought it. May have been factory, I believe. Also the tailgate locks. Between those two items I'd try and steal a different bike.
9/21/2016 3:35pm
I run a New Yorker Kryptonite setup through the frame and to the vehicle. It goes onto the entire hitch mechanism that's welded to the vehicle, and my receiver is locked in place too.
Falcon
Fantasy
765th
9/21/2016 3:41pm
Big, stupid Rottweiler that sits in the bed and drools. He just looks at you if you stand there but then goes, "ooomph" under his breath if you try to reach for something. Not even a woof, just a "Are you sure you wanna try that, punk?"

The Shop

Pollock580
Fantasy
1108th
9/21/2016 3:44pm
Has anyone ever fitted a GPS tracker to their bike? Like a small one you could hide in the airbox or under the seat? I know it wouldn't prevent the bike being stolen so much but would have to help with recovery?
r.sal923
9/21/2016 3:47pm

Buy a van , tint windows, chain bike to inside of van, and use this on van ^^^^^^^
9/21/2016 3:53pm
I lock my bike everywhere and always...in the shop..back of my truck..even sitting out in my own yard as evidence by the pics in SHOW YOUR CRF450'S Thread I started... A guy asked me was it a bad neighborhood....Not really... I just keep my shit locked at all times...I take no chances..
Josh422
9/21/2016 3:57pm
I lock my bike everywhere and always...in the shop..back of my truck..even sitting out in my own yard as evidence by the pics in SHOW YOUR...
I lock my bike everywhere and always...in the shop..back of my truck..even sitting out in my own yard as evidence by the pics in SHOW YOUR CRF450'S Thread I started... A guy asked me was it a bad neighborhood....Not really... I just keep my shit locked at all times...I take no chances..
I get shit from people about cable locks or wanting to be able to see my truck and bike out the window if we stop to eat. I have never had a bike stolen but it seems stupid not to worry about it.
Hallzilla
9/21/2016 4:09pm
Falcon wrote:
Big, stupid Rottweiler that sits in the bed and drools. He just looks at you if you stand there but then goes, "ooomph" under his breath...
Big, stupid Rottweiler that sits in the bed and drools. He just looks at you if you stand there but then goes, "ooomph" under his breath if you try to reach for something. Not even a woof, just a "Are you sure you wanna try that, punk?"
I like !
Hallzilla
9/21/2016 4:12pm
Pollock580 wrote:
Has anyone ever fitted a GPS tracker to their bike? Like a small one you could hide in the airbox or under the seat? I know...
Has anyone ever fitted a GPS tracker to their bike? Like a small one you could hide in the airbox or under the seat? I know it wouldn't prevent the bike being stolen so much but would have to help with recovery?
That's a good idea on the recovery. I think there is a company that does that for bicycles. Could probably use the same technology. Maybe i saw it on "Shark Tank" ?
9/21/2016 4:15pm
I lock my bike everywhere and always...in the shop..back of my truck..even sitting out in my own yard as evidence by the pics in SHOW YOUR...
Josh422 wrote:
I get shit from people about cable locks or wanting to be able to see my truck and bike out the window if we stop to...
I get shit from people about cable locks or wanting to be able to see my truck and bike out the window if we stop to eat. I have never had a bike stolen but it seems stupid not to worry about it.
Man I know exactly what you mean...I'm the same...at restaurants...gas stations..wherever...the bike has to stay in my view at all times when out in public...I won't even go in Wall Mart unless someone stays with the bike...Nope...My bikes not getting ripped off if I can help it at all.
305FC250
9/21/2016 4:27pm
Wouldn't stop anywhere with my bike in the truck unless I can keep eyes on it the whole time or leave someone in the truck to keep an eye on it while I do whatever it is I stopped to do. Also lock the rear wheel of the bike and lock the bike to the truck. And god forbid despite all that I catch someone trying to take it (because I have eyes on it at all times) they're going to have a bad time. I know it's just a material item but I work too hard for my stuff for people to think they can just take it. I need to invest in some sort of alarm system but not sure what to get.
9/21/2016 4:31pm
I run a cable lock through the rear tiedown hook around my back wheel. Is it full proof. No it just keeps the honest ones honest.
cdm806
Fantasy
1557th
9/21/2016 4:47pm
On the rare occasion that my truck is parked with my bike in the back of it, and I'm at a restaurant, I will be seated with a view of my truck, or I'll find another place to eat. If, while I'm eating, I see someone trying to steal my bike, I'll shoot the motherfucker from my seat, through the window of the restaurant. IDGAF. Try to take my shit and die.
MR. X
9/21/2016 5:10pm
Put blue plastic on it.
TbonesPop
Fantasy
360th
9/21/2016 6:35pm
1) Buy insurance, especially for protection against theft
2) Lock your stuff up with a heavy duty lock/cable- bike, ramps, etc., and lock your tailgate
3) Put your gear inside the front of the truck - don't let anyone be tempted to take the other goodies you paid damn near the same amount of money you put into your bike (do the math and you'll be amazed at how much $$ you have in gear).
4) Back into parking spots that don't have any parking spots behind you
5) Carry a firearm
6) Don't stop to eat in shitty neighborhoods

99.99% of the time, no worries
KTM831
9/21/2016 6:42pm
I remember once I had to stop at my college dorm in Milwaukee before leaving for a race weekend. I was worried that my bike would be stolen and I didn't have a lock...but I had some basic tools. I put the bike in 4th gear and took the shifter and kick starter off. Figured that if they got it out they couldn't start it or push it away. Not bulletproof but it made me feel a little better the short while I was away from my pickup
imoto34
Fantasy
3151st
9/21/2016 6:49pm
A small enclosed trailer with a ladder rack works also. Can toss your bike gear and tools in the night before. Good to go!
731chopper
Fantasy
390th
9/21/2016 7:16pm
I like to leave a letter on the cross bar and fuel tank describing in great detail what I plan on doing to them after they steal the bike when I inevitably find them because of the GPS locator I have implanted inside of the frame. I feel like a spent .45 casing taped to the letter along with it signed in blood are nice touches.
RPM68
9/21/2016 8:23pm Edited Date/Time 9/21/2016 8:24pm
Unfortunately even us gun toating southerners deal with theft. Best thing to do is get the $15/month insurance and claim her if stolen. Otherwise shoot to kill if caught in the act on your property.
BAMX
9/21/2016 8:39pm
Pollock580 wrote:
Has anyone ever fitted a GPS tracker to their bike? Like a small one you could hide in the airbox or under the seat? I know...
Hallzilla wrote:
That's a good idea on the recovery. I think there is a company that does that for bicycles. Could probably use the same technology. Maybe i...
That's a good idea on the recovery. I think there is a company that does that for bicycles. Could probably use the same technology. Maybe i saw it on "Shark Tank" ?
I do not have one but the specs seem like it would work well for a moto bike.

http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=128
KBOLTZ
9/21/2016 9:01pm
Hallzilla wrote:
Well after yet another friend had his bike stolen out of the back of his truck mid day outside an eatery. It got me thinking about...
Well after yet another friend had his bike stolen out of the back of his truck mid day outside an eatery. It got me thinking about what can be done about this. Yes it was stolen in broad daylight outside of a restaurant.

I started doing a search and found this ..... They lock to both the truck and bike, with a cable inserted into the strap so they cannot be quickly cut.

Pricey ... But I think it's worth it of you want to grab a bite to eat after a day of moto without the worries of wondering if your bike will still be there when you finsih. Here in CA most of the tracks butt up to shit hole communities.

http://www.lockstraps.com/

Last Saturday me and a buddy are chatting at our local track and a young 10-12 year old kid walks up to us and was passing out flyers for lockstraps. I asked if his dad him out there making the rounds and he politely said "yea he's got me out here doing the hard stuff" we laughed and I asked him to show me the straps and he did a great job explaining them to me and I like that he was taking the initiative and not being afraid to go "truck to truck". The straps have an internal metal braid and I think they're a great idea and will keep away a thief looking to make an easy grab. Good kid, good family, good product... no brainer.
chump6784
9/21/2016 10:07pm
My bikes are always transported on an open bike trailer. I run a cable lock through the frame near the footpegs and around the chassis of the trailer.
We don't have the crime here that some of you guys have but short of having an angle grinder or unhooking my trailer from my vehicle and towing it away they're not getting my bikes
rongi#401
9/21/2016 11:36pm
rongi#401 wrote:
[img]https://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_11813.jpg[/img]
i put the senser in my garage, and the alarm by my bed.
you can also put the senser in your truck bed pointed at your bike. and the alarm in your hotel room. it works up to 300 feet or something, and its REALLY loud.
9/22/2016 6:10am
I have a thick chain I run around the frame and to one of the hooks on the bed of my track. And my tailgate locks.
Tim507
9/22/2016 6:52am
At the rear tire and the front tire in the floor is factory installed rings. I've taken to using a long chain wrapped around both tires and locked to the floor rings. You have to work to get at the locks to lock and unlock them and the bike will hardly move at all when chained. I also put up a sun shield in the front window and the rest of the glass is tinted.

TXDirt
9/22/2016 7:06am Edited Date/Time 9/22/2016 7:08am
Use a lock like this in your disc brake. They will have to destroy the bike before they could ever get this lock off. Google it and you will find it's pretty much the #1 rated lock in the world. A thief will not have the tools or time to fuck with this lock.

It's not cheap.

Sargent & Greenleaf 951C

A bit cheaper option.

Sargent & Greenleaf (S&G) 833
Kryan5
9/22/2016 7:09am Edited Date/Time 9/22/2016 7:10am
I usually take the back wheel off and hide it. Not a full deterrent, but stealing a bike while having to lift the back and roll on the front might make you think twice.
9/22/2016 7:22am Edited Date/Time 9/22/2016 8:17am
Some Home owners insurance will cover a disassembled bike

Buy a white van. Leave the fucker stock, tint the Windows. Put the window cages up inside. Don't put huge black wheels On it. No stickers. Or put a hazardous human waste decal on it. Nobody wants that shit.

Hide in plain sight.

Cable lock the bikes to both sides of the van. Place motion sensor in back when travelling or leaving outside a motel. If motion sensor goes off call cops and tell them this guy has a gun and you're really scared.

Post a reply to: Deterring Bike Theft _ From your Vehicle

The Latest