Denver Area Riding

Nellie12
Edited Date/Time 5/18/2017 3:29am
I going up to Denver for 7-10 days and wondering if anyone has recommendations on where to ride. What's open and when? Also, if anyone rides Rampart Range and doesn't mind me tagging along, I would appreciate it.
|
Cygnus
10/18/2016 11:14am
Imi, Lakewood, Watkins, berthoud, miliken all run practices just have to call before you haul. If you want to stop on the way up I'm between pueblo and Colorado Springs. Springs also has Aztec. No shortage of good tracks around here
tcallahan707
10/18/2016 11:35am
Cygnus wrote:
Imi, Lakewood, Watkins, berthoud, miliken all run practices just have to call before you haul. If you want to stop on the way up I'm between...
Imi, Lakewood, Watkins, berthoud, miliken all run practices just have to call before you haul. If you want to stop on the way up I'm between pueblo and Colorado Springs. Springs also has Aztec. No shortage of good tracks around here
No shortage of tracks*

Good is relative haha
10/18/2016 11:55am
They're good tracks, lots of maintenance and prep go into them and we have tons of selections because we're around a high population area... Go live in bfe somewhere and you'll realize how good you have it
10/18/2016 12:10pm
The Berthoud Moto Park should be cool to check out. They just had Dirt Wurx come in and redesign the track.

The Shop

Nellie12
10/18/2016 12:58pm
Thanks! Ok, another question. I'm 55, single, retired and will probably move up in January. I'm going to look for apts (preferably newer construction) in south Denver (along the 470) and also north Westminster to Boulder area. Any reason you would pick one over the other? Any other areas you would recommend? I know...not moto. Sorry. Smile
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
10/18/2016 1:09pm
Sorry man but Colorado is full and not taking any new residents.That is unless you can make 5 Californians leave.
Nellie12
10/18/2016 1:26pm
lostboy819 wrote:
Sorry man but Colorado is full and not taking any new residents.That is unless you can make 5 Californians leave.
Haha!! Uhhh....same problem here! Probably should build a wall.
twizzler
10/18/2016 3:34pm
TripleFive wrote:
The Berthoud Moto Park should be cool to check out. They just had Dirt Wurx come in and redesign the track.
Is the old Berthoud Valley Dirt Riders track closed due to a housing development of some sorts??
Or has it been turned into the Berthoud Moto Park? Or is the Moto Park something altogether different. You still ride or race Charlie? You used to be one fun to watch up and coming local CO racer!
DA498
10/18/2016 3:54pm
twizzler wrote:
Is the old Berthoud Valley Dirt Riders track closed due to a housing development of some sorts?? Or has it been turned into the Berthoud Moto...
Is the old Berthoud Valley Dirt Riders track closed due to a housing development of some sorts??
Or has it been turned into the Berthoud Moto Park? Or is the Moto Park something altogether different. You still ride or race Charlie? You used to be one fun to watch up and coming local CO racer!
same site, new track and management.
MarkF
10/18/2016 5:40pm
TripleFive wrote:
We went to the Chris Morgan memorial event there last weekend. The place is unrecognizable as far as the track goes. It is incredible. Unfortunately the wind was blowing hard the entire time which made the track very dry and dusty. We had a great time anyway. They have big plans for the future as well.

Nellie, If you are interested in the Colorado Springs area, let me know. I may be able to help you out.

tcallahan707
10/18/2016 7:59pm
They're good tracks, lots of maintenance and prep go into them and we have tons of selections because we're around a high population area... Go live...
They're good tracks, lots of maintenance and prep go into them and we have tons of selections because we're around a high population area... Go live in bfe somewhere and you'll realize how good you have it
They do a good job with what they are working with for the most part, but that doesn't make them good. The dirt sucks, the layouts are pretty bland, and the sun and wind make for a small window to ride between mud and hard pack conditions. I agree, we have many selections, and I think that is fantastic and not common for most. But I grew up in BFE in the midwest and I know how much better the tracks are overall. They are farther apart though which is a tradeoff.

One thing I wish CO tracks would do is figure out different days so every day of the week, there is the go to place that is fresh and has a good turnout so it gets multiple lines and rough instead of the goat trail everyone follows around.
Nellie12
10/19/2016 6:59am
Are there any sand tracks anywhere in Colorado?

Cyg...thanks

MarkF....thank you. I will if I decide to come through.

tc...given all that....where do you ride, most often?

disbanded....?? Dylan??
TheGetFresh
Fantasy
2551st
10/19/2016 12:20pm
Nellie12 wrote:
Are there any sand tracks anywhere in Colorado? Cyg...thanks MarkF....thank you. I will if I decide to come through. tc...given all that....where do you ride, most...

Cyg...thanks

disbanded....?? Dylan??
Brush MX. Maybe two hours out of denver metro? Little less i think.

http://www.brushmx.com/
Forty
10/19/2016 12:27pm
Does Trinidad still have a track? I use to race that way back in the day, it was always a fun track.
Jack_Mehoff
Fantasy
55th
10/19/2016 12:58pm
Nellie12 wrote:
Are there any sand tracks anywhere in Colorado? Cyg...thanks MarkF....thank you. I will if I decide to come through. tc...given all that....where do you ride, most...

Cyg...thanks

disbanded....?? Dylan??
There is one out in Keenesburg, but I have never been. Brush's soil is sandy for Colorado, but it is far from an actual sand track. Our tracks can be prepped well, but get out there when they open because most, save for milliken and lakewood, turn into blue groove in a couple hours, which then gets watered and is slick as balls. Milliken has some good organic stuff in the ground in so it holds moisture longer, and on weekends lakewood waters constantly throughout the day, sometimes too much to where it gets pretty muddy. If you go to Rampart, stay away from the trail near the Sprucewood bar and main parking lot. You get a bunch of drunk idiots there, the farther in you go the better.
tcallahan707
10/19/2016 1:35pm
Nellie12 wrote:

Cyg...thanks

disbanded....?? Dylan??
I ride at Thunder Valley most of the time due to proximity and it being a more fun track personally for me. Keenesburg is a sand track but it is basically a backyard track that goes untouched for most of the year and you sign a waiver and pay on the honor system. It likely would be dry as balls this time of year but it's a great place to get some riding in during the winter.

Thunder is open and prepped on Wed, Fri, Sat, and Sun and not prepped Thursday. It is closed Mon and Tues. Milliken is open and prepped Sunday and Wednesday afternoons. Aztec is open and prepped on Sat and Sun but I do not know their schedule during the week. IMI (Erie) is open everyday I believe and I do not know their prep schedule. I also do not know anything about the new Berthoud Moto Park as it just opened to the public last Sunday. Watkins is always a good idea to call ahead of time. It seems like they are more at the mercy of when equipment is working and sort of a "feeling out demand" type of schedule.
10/19/2016 1:47pm
TripleFive wrote:
twizzler wrote:
Is the old Berthoud Valley Dirt Riders track closed due to a housing development of some sorts?? Or has it been turned into the Berthoud Moto...
As DA498 said, same track and location, new owner/management.

I really appreciate the compliment! I still ride, but haven't raced in years. I'd like to get back to it eventually, but these new bikes are way too fast!
Nellie12
10/19/2016 2:12pm
Awesome...thanks for all the info. Driving up tomorrow to look for a place and do a little riding...mx and mtb.
Presley155
10/19/2016 3:22pm
Nellie12 wrote:
Thanks! Ok, another question. I'm 55, single, retired and will probably move up in January. I'm going to look for apts (preferably newer construction) in south...
Thanks! Ok, another question. I'm 55, single, retired and will probably move up in January. I'm going to look for apts (preferably newer construction) in south Denver (along the 470) and also north Westminster to Boulder area. Any reason you would pick one over the other? Any other areas you would recommend? I know...not moto. Sorry. Smile
Nellie, shoot me a PM and I'll give you my direct contact info. I'm a Realtor here in Denver and live on the south side of town just off 470. I can give you some areas and apartments to check out. I can also give you the skinny on all the tracks.
twizzler
10/19/2016 3:24pm
TripleFive wrote:
twizzler wrote:
TripleFive wrote:
As DA498 said, same track and location, new owner/management. I really appreciate the compliment! I still ride, but haven't raced in years. I'd like to get...
As DA498 said, same track and location, new owner/management.

I really appreciate the compliment! I still ride, but haven't raced in years. I'd like to get back to it eventually, but these new bikes are way too fast!
I had heard that Berthoud was closing due to housing creeping in. Didn't surprise me since Denver metro has grown so much since I left there in 2006. But glad to hear Berthoud is still open and hopefully new Mgmt can make that place great. I used to mostly ride at the old Berthoud and always liked that hard pack track. IMI (Erie) was always baked and dusty hard pack, layout was ok. Milliken Two Rivers was my fave. Lakewood was fun but always got flats there due to nails, screws in the trucked in dirt since it was Denver's street sweepings LOL. Trying to move back to Colorado, but apparently just like when I was there I hated Californians, now I am one, and it seems no company wants to hire a Californian.
Jack_Mehoff
Fantasy
55th
10/19/2016 4:56pm
Nellie12 wrote:
Awesome...thanks for all the info. Driving up tomorrow to look for a place and do a little riding...mx and mtb.
There is a bunch of awesome mtb stuff around the golden area as well. I'd recommend checking out Apex trail on an even day(some parts are uphill only on odd days) and the hogback trail, which runs on top of ridge thunder valley is built on. Can't really go wrong with any of the Jeffco trails though.
cortez.cr
5/17/2017 11:52am
This is a very old post. I would like to join and revive it.

I'm planning to relocate to Denver area from Houston TX some time in June\July.

One of the main reasons is MX and MTB riding in the beautiful rockies.

Looking forward to meet new riding buddies over there.

Cheers!
disbanded
Fantasy
1734th
5/17/2017 12:14pm
Not too much longer before I'm back to this. I love you, Colorado!

Presley155
5/17/2017 1:06pm
@cortez.cr Hit me up when you get here. Lots of good moto, trail riding, and mountain biking to be had out here. The motorcycle scene is great here. Lots of good people.
Lucky13FIST
5/17/2017 3:18pm
Cygnus wrote:
Imi, Lakewood, Watkins, berthoud, miliken all run practices just have to call before you haul. If you want to stop on the way up I'm between...
No shortage of tracks*

Good is relative haha
+1
cortez.cr
5/18/2017 3:29am
I have many years as MTB rider and have ridden mostly bike parks WinterPark, Keystone, Granby, Valmont.
I don't have any experience with trail riding.

The MX bug bit me and now I am very passionate about it too.
Looks like the MX scene in Colorado is very healthy with the RMXA and SRAC

Is one more important, difficult, easier than the other?

Thanks
motoxxx599
Fantasy
985th
5/18/2017 5:09am
TripleFive, I spent several hours this week trying to beat your MadSkills time without success. Have to step my game up this week.

Post a reply to: Denver Area Riding

The Latest