Death at Elsinore during KTM Demo Day

Bauer
Edited Date/Time 10/5/2015 1:20am
Heard there was a bad crash on Friday at Lake Elsinore MX during a KTM Demo Day. Details are sketchy, but something about a helmet coming off and a rider passing away at the track. This fucking sport is definitely not getting safer. So sad.
|
Crush
10/3/2015 5:05am
Urrgggh... That's awful. Prayers for anyone involved, so sad.
10/3/2015 6:51am
Saw a mention of this on Facebook.. Fucking awful. May his family and friends find comfort soon.
Motodork
10/3/2015 7:38am
Wow, this is horrible news. KTM has had this happen twice in the last 10 years at a so cal track, they need to revamp their system for demo rides or don't have them. I have been dealing with KTM directly for years and every time I speak to someone I wonder how they got a job because they seem very sharp or motivated (except Roger). And he isn't doing the demo rides.
wreckitrandy
10/3/2015 7:44am
Motodork wrote:
Wow, this is horrible news. KTM has had this happen twice in the last 10 years at a so cal track, they need to revamp their...
Wow, this is horrible news. KTM has had this happen twice in the last 10 years at a so cal track, they need to revamp their system for demo rides or don't have them. I have been dealing with KTM directly for years and every time I speak to someone I wonder how they got a job because they seem very sharp or motivated (except Roger). And he isn't doing the demo rides.
So, it's KTM's fault? Moto'dork' seems rather generous.

The Shop

mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
10/3/2015 8:55am
If the guys helmet came off than chances are it was the riders fault or could have been a freak accident. That has nothing to do with KTM. It's sad to hear and I pray for his family and friends. I only know of threw ways your helmet comes off.... It's either not strapped at all, strapped very loose to where the strap would slide over your chin, or a helmet that was too big and not strapped properly.

To say that KTM needs to revamp the ride days or not have them at all because of this is way out there. That's no different than saying that all the manufactures should just stop making and selling bikes because there have multiple deaths on each brand. Maybe they should have someone check the riders safety gear before they leave the rig to go ride but that's the only thing KTM or any of the manufactures should change about their ride days.
Motodork
10/3/2015 9:20am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
If the guys helmet came off than chances are it was the riders fault or could have been a freak accident. That has nothing to do...
If the guys helmet came off than chances are it was the riders fault or could have been a freak accident. That has nothing to do with KTM. It's sad to hear and I pray for his family and friends. I only know of threw ways your helmet comes off.... It's either not strapped at all, strapped very loose to where the strap would slide over your chin, or a helmet that was too big and not strapped properly.

To say that KTM needs to revamp the ride days or not have them at all because of this is way out there. That's no different than saying that all the manufactures should just stop making and selling bikes because there have multiple deaths on each brand. Maybe they should have someone check the riders safety gear before they leave the rig to go ride but that's the only thing KTM or any of the manufactures should change about their ride days.
It has to do with know the riding level of the rider. Most dealerships won't let a rider test ride because they aren't sure of the riders skill level even though most of their website's will say demo rides available. Even on Spyder ride days the rider is required to show rider skill in a very small confined area before allowed to ride on an open road. It is called probing the customer, it is a common practice in the motorcycle industry that they have failed at. What have you rode in the past? Where have you rode? How long have you been riding? All questions that should be addressed before putting a guy willing to ride without his strap on on a 450 on a Motocross track.
MxKing809
Fantasy
334th
10/3/2015 9:37am Edited Date/Time 10/3/2015 9:38am
Or it was a accident and that accident caused his helmet to malfunction and come off.....

This pisses me off, just had an injury at work and everyone had to speculate what the guy did that caused the injury...... you guys ever just have an accident happen?

Good god, the poor guy is deceased and you're speculating about his ability and whether his safety gear was on right...... for fucks sake.

RIP Matt.
wreckitrandy
10/3/2015 10:09am
I hate that the guy died. I'm sure everyone involved, KTM, the track it happened at, are all upset about it. But, there's this thing called 'personal responsibility'. If you get on a bike, it could be the last bit of fun you have in this world. People like 'dork' are part of the problem. It's somebody else's fault I got hurt. Bunch of girls I declare.
rohleder644
10/3/2015 10:29am
There has got to be a better place for you guys to bicker. Show some respect.

God speed matt
Hut
10/3/2015 10:35am
Sorry to hear this. Thoughts and prayers for his family and friends. Rest in peace.
hillbilly
10/3/2015 10:37am
Got to watch your helmet buckles,sweat corrosive to the rivet heads,seen them pop off before,just a FYI.
10/3/2015 10:54am
Rip moto brother... Shits getting harder to justify all the time... Deaths occuring far too often! New bike prices.... Age... Was just out today with my wee boy on his ttr. He wants a Ktm 50 now but I am starting to regret getting him into the sport as I don't think I could suffer him hurting himself.
10/3/2015 11:41am Edited Date/Time 10/3/2015 11:45am
Motodork wrote:
Wow, this is horrible news. KTM has had this happen twice in the last 10 years at a so cal track, they need to revamp their...
Revamp ? They just won't have it. They'll cut it.

At some point a sense of accountability had to be taken by the riders. Your helmet flying off your head is absolutely positively no reason to go after Ktm for providing demo bikes for us to test out. I feel bad for the guy, and hope it was just a freak accident. Losing his life, I never know what to say. It's terrible. Hope his family the least amount of duress possible. It's m So important to inspect helmets. I know I'm going to be looking at mine more closely now Everytime I ride. That's scary.
Underdog999
10/3/2015 11:41am
I was on the track testing a bike and came up on him a bit after he crashed. Very sad. I feel for his family and his friends.

KTM did a phenomal job putting on the demo day. They were spot on all day long. It was a great event. They had it on the vet track, not the main. They shut down right after this tragic thing happened. Very respectful.
10/3/2015 2:27pm Edited Date/Time 10/3/2015 2:29pm
Motodork wrote:
It has to do with know the riding level of the rider. Most dealerships won't let a rider test ride because they aren't sure of the...
It has to do with know the riding level of the rider. Most dealerships won't let a rider test ride because they aren't sure of the riders skill level even though most of their website's will say demo rides available. Even on Spyder ride days the rider is required to show rider skill in a very small confined area before allowed to ride on an open road. It is called probing the customer, it is a common practice in the motorcycle industry that they have failed at. What have you rode in the past? Where have you rode? How long have you been riding? All questions that should be addressed before putting a guy willing to ride without his strap on on a 450 on a Motocross track.
Does a dealer ask the same questions when one comes in to buy a 450? Nope, zip, nada, nothing. Just like i can go out and buy a new s1000rr without any questions asked. But suddenly, on a demo day, the dealer should worry about the safety of the rider? The examples you give are about protecting the demo vehicles, not the rider.

No need to push your agenda or wicked idea's on behalf of this poor guy, either.
SLAPAHO
Fantasy
609th
10/3/2015 3:51pm
He was an experienced rider. Out of the few people that i know who were there, none of them said anything about his helmet coming off. Not sure where that came from.....RIP Matt
KTMShane699
10/3/2015 4:14pm
Does a dealer ask the same questions when one comes in to buy a 450? Nope, zip, nada, nothing. Just like i can go out and...
Does a dealer ask the same questions when one comes in to buy a 450? Nope, zip, nada, nothing. Just like i can go out and buy a new s1000rr without any questions asked. But suddenly, on a demo day, the dealer should worry about the safety of the rider? The examples you give are about protecting the demo vehicles, not the rider.

No need to push your agenda or wicked idea's on behalf of this poor guy, either.
There are two different things going on there. When someone comes in to purchase a bike, after the deal is done it becomes theirs and their responsibility to use it safely.

At a demo day, they are riding bikes provided by a manufacturer on a track supplied by the manufacturer. The responsibility of safety does fall largely on the manufacturer supplying the event.

The two examples you provided don't compare in terms of liability.

Shane
10/3/2015 5:06pm Edited Date/Time 10/3/2015 5:10pm
There are two different things going on there. When someone comes in to purchase a bike, after the deal is done it becomes theirs and their...
There are two different things going on there. When someone comes in to purchase a bike, after the deal is done it becomes theirs and their responsibility to use it safely.

At a demo day, they are riding bikes provided by a manufacturer on a track supplied by the manufacturer. The responsibility of safety does fall largely on the manufacturer supplying the event.

The two examples you provided don't compare in terms of liability.

Shane
That's because the discussion is not about liability. But about the idea KTM (or any other dealer) that shouldn't be doing these demo days because people might hurt themselfs. That idea is kinda moronic because people might hurt themselfs on any other day as well, on those same bikes, same tracks, delivered by the same OEM's. If we pull this line trough then track owners should start doing tests before letting people ride on their track.
wreckitrandy
10/3/2015 5:43pm
I'm sorry Motodork. I shouldn't have taken my bad day out on you. I apologize to the family and friends of the deceased. I'm sorry for your loss.
h&m_cycle
10/3/2015 5:59pm
Very Sad, rest in peace Dude...

photo of him is from another forum...

seth505
Fantasy
1271st
10/3/2015 7:19pm
Motodork wrote:
wtf are you going on about.

RIP fellow rider
FIREfish148
10/3/2015 8:06pm
RIP Matt

Does anyone know what class Matt rode? It said Matt was a really experienced rider.
Motoxdoc
10/3/2015 10:55pm
Sounds like a combination of things....but with one being the track layout. Don't get me wrong, I love busting big triples and teton jumps once in a while.....but an extra inherent danger comes with it, that isn't there with tracks like REM. Sad story...my condolences go out to his family and loved ones.
1stSSPZ
10/4/2015 5:35am
Motoxdoc wrote:
Sounds like a combination of things....but with one being the track layout. Don't get me wrong, I love busting big triples and teton jumps once in...
Sounds like a combination of things....but with one being the track layout. Don't get me wrong, I love busting big triples and teton jumps once in a while.....but an extra inherent danger comes with it, that isn't there with tracks like REM. Sad story...my condolences go out to his family and loved ones.
I was hoping someone would look at it from this angle...many of the tracks I see look as if they are trying to prep someone for the X-games.
Oldnslo
10/4/2015 5:35am
Very sad news. Prays to the family and God speed to the fallen rider. Some of the comments posted show so little yo absolutely No class what's so ever.

kTM doesn't need to revamp anything , you on the other hand should go see a doctor about having that Plexiautomy you do desperately need.
PTECH
10/4/2015 8:45am
Tragic news indeed but to think KTM has anything to do with this is absurd. If they did it on a pro level supercross track and let any Joe go huck some triples on a 450 FE, that's one thing.
gharmon
10/4/2015 9:06am
Oldnslo wrote:
Very sad news. Prays to the family and God speed to the fallen rider. Some of the comments posted show so little yo absolutely No class...
Very sad news. Prays to the family and God speed to the fallen rider. Some of the comments posted show so little yo absolutely No class what's so ever.

kTM doesn't need to revamp anything , you on the other hand should go see a doctor about having that Plexiautomy you do desperately need.
Ok, I'm in the health care industry and had to go look up that word. First off, you spelled it wrong, even for something that's definition is in the urban dictionary, it has to be spelled correctly. LOL
h&m_cycle
10/4/2015 9:16am
RIP Matt

Does anyone know what class Matt rode? It said Matt was a really experienced rider.
I looked him up, don't look like he raced much... At least not with the AMA...

Shit happens, he looks like a safe smooth rider having fun... Someone with the same name posted this on utube
with a gopro...
RIP...
https://youtu.be/0FTErPD9V2k

Post a reply to: Death at Elsinore during KTM Demo Day

The Latest