Dear DC and RacerX:

MxKing809
Fantasy
315th
Edited Date/Time 5/14/2016 4:53pm
I don't purchase magazines anymore. Let's lead off with that. I used to get RacerX and Transworld as a young man (despite my mom's objections to some posters) and they were a highlight of receiving mail in my childhood. As I grew older, and the Internet turned into the animal it is today, I grew away from print. Maybe it was because 99% of the info could now be had on Twitter, Facebook, and forums. Maybe it was because in today's 'I want it now society', I was too impatient to wait by the proverbial mailbox like I did as a child. Or maybe it was the 42% of pages in a mag (any of them) that contain ads, which I understand is a means to an end.

I haven't yet purchased your newest magazine, but it's on my radar for tomorrow morning's coffee. It's not because it has the same bike tests we've seen hashed out for 10 years, or the witty banter between knuckleheads and the editor, it's actually about something you guys don't typically do. The extra long Austin Stroupe article.

We can get gossip, spy photos, bike tests, etc. at any site or twitter feed our heart desires, but no one puts in the effort for really in depth articles like the Stroupe one appears to be.

I'm a nobody washed up B rider that spends too much time on Vital, who for the first time in about 5 years will be buying a magazine. Thank you for going outside what your typical format is, and documenting a story that had eluded everyone for a while. If this turns into a quarterly feature I will gladly buy a subscription for the 4 big features a year.

I look forward to reading it tomorrow, and I hope you choose to tackle more uncomfortable and elusive topics in the future.

- Grant
|
dirtnapper
5/13/2016 6:22pm
The Stroupe article aside, there is a LOT to look forward to in RacerX magazine.

I buy it every month, and I still love the Pit Pass, the Noise, the Buzz, the DMXS section, even Two Tribes is sometimes a fun read. Pretty much everything except Pings awful ego and column. It nice to actually flip through a paper mag on coffee break or on the toilet.

I am on your side re TransWorld though........I haven't bought one in about 3 years and likley will never again.
5/13/2016 6:25pm
dirtnapper wrote:
The Stroupe article aside, there is a LOT to look forward to in RacerX magazine. I buy it every month, and I still love the Pit...
The Stroupe article aside, there is a LOT to look forward to in RacerX magazine.

I buy it every month, and I still love the Pit Pass, the Noise, the Buzz, the DMXS section, even Two Tribes is sometimes a fun read. Pretty much everything except Pings awful ego and column. It nice to actually flip through a paper mag on coffee break or on the toilet.

I am on your side re TransWorld though........I haven't bought one in about 3 years and likley will never again.
You mean Ad-world Motocross?
colintrax
Fantasy
2342nd
5/13/2016 6:25pm
I get MXA but I'll be buying this issue of racerx for the Stroupe article.

Can yall talk to Jlaw next??
Jimmy_Sloan
5/13/2016 6:33pm
MxKing809 wrote:
I don't purchase magazines anymore. Let's lead off with that. I used to get RacerX and Transworld as a young man (despite my mom's objections to...
I don't purchase magazines anymore. Let's lead off with that. I used to get RacerX and Transworld as a young man (despite my mom's objections to some posters) and they were a highlight of receiving mail in my childhood. As I grew older, and the Internet turned into the animal it is today, I grew away from print. Maybe it was because 99% of the info could now be had on Twitter, Facebook, and forums. Maybe it was because in today's 'I want it now society', I was too impatient to wait by the proverbial mailbox like I did as a child. Or maybe it was the 42% of pages in a mag (any of them) that contain ads, which I understand is a means to an end.

I haven't yet purchased your newest magazine, but it's on my radar for tomorrow morning's coffee. It's not because it has the same bike tests we've seen hashed out for 10 years, or the witty banter between knuckleheads and the editor, it's actually about something you guys don't typically do. The extra long Austin Stroupe article.

We can get gossip, spy photos, bike tests, etc. at any site or twitter feed our heart desires, but no one puts in the effort for really in depth articles like the Stroupe one appears to be.

I'm a nobody washed up B rider that spends too much time on Vital, who for the first time in about 5 years will be buying a magazine. Thank you for going outside what your typical format is, and documenting a story that had eluded everyone for a while. If this turns into a quarterly feature I will gladly buy a subscription for the 4 big features a year.

I look forward to reading it tomorrow, and I hope you choose to tackle more uncomfortable and elusive topics in the future.

- Grant
Great post, and I agree, I'll be buying a copy.

The Shop

kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
5/13/2016 7:22pm
Well thought out post.
Ryno23
Fantasy
891st
5/13/2016 7:23pm Edited Date/Time 5/13/2016 7:25pm
Agreed king. not that I am vicariously looking into Stroupe's life but I hope there is some info in this story that can help a fellow friend of mine sitting in a situation like this with pain killers. He had some really bad injuries in his life and now he doesn't seem to function at all without oxys or vicodin. He has spiraled into a hobbit lifestyle and became a complete A-hole. Always in pain, always looking for another prescription, asking friends if they will give him some, ect. He's about to lose his house, his truck, already lost his wife, his job I'm not sure about but life for him is not the same. I don't know how to get him to seek help. He won't admit he has any problem other than he is in constant pain and needs drugs. Sad turn of events in his life for sure. Dude was like a brother to me and now he will barely speak to me.
mxracer32
5/13/2016 7:28pm
I agree completely and i too, will be picking up a copy solely based on the stroupe article.
langhammx
Fantasy
455th
5/13/2016 9:47pm
Ryno23 wrote:
Agreed king. not that I am vicariously looking into Stroupe's life but I hope there is some info in this story that can help a fellow...
Agreed king. not that I am vicariously looking into Stroupe's life but I hope there is some info in this story that can help a fellow friend of mine sitting in a situation like this with pain killers. He had some really bad injuries in his life and now he doesn't seem to function at all without oxys or vicodin. He has spiraled into a hobbit lifestyle and became a complete A-hole. Always in pain, always looking for another prescription, asking friends if they will give him some, ect. He's about to lose his house, his truck, already lost his wife, his job I'm not sure about but life for him is not the same. I don't know how to get him to seek help. He won't admit he has any problem other than he is in constant pain and needs drugs. Sad turn of events in his life for sure. Dude was like a brother to me and now he will barely speak to me.
Sorry to hear... I have family members that are going thru the same shit. So sad, but they have to want to change. I just can't comprehend what makes them addicts.
shanes
5/13/2016 10:00pm
same boat really i used to love getting the latest mag turn up , i was at airport the other week passing time i picked up mx mag and started flicking through it , when i looked at the price and had already seen most of the stuff on the internet anyway i thought why bother , sitting down latter i seen i could buy on line version of the same mag 12 month subscription for only 2-3 more than that single mag , but i cant really come at reading them on the iPad .

all this new tech is great in some ways but on the other hand it has ruined a lot of other things
willie838
5/13/2016 11:19pm
i think i'll always have a racerx subscription.

I don't want the digital one, i prefert he print one.

a year at whatever it is is seriously a bargain to me, i've had a subscription since just before they went to the traditional magazine size over the OG newspaper size setup. It's one of the best values in the motocross industry to be honest.
5/14/2016 6:35am
willie838 wrote:
i think i'll always have a racerx subscription. I don't want the digital one, i prefert he print one. a year at whatever it is is...

a year at whatever it is is seriously a bargain to me, i've had a subscription since just before they went to the traditional magazine size over the OG newspaper size setup. It's one of the best values in the motocross industry to be honest.
I'm not trying to argue your point, but I did want to say that every year when I reup my subscription to MXA, Rocky Mountain sends me a $25 gift card.

I'm not sure how that works out for either business, but I sure do dig it.
jmx411
5/14/2016 7:02am
Most anticipated magazine in my recent memory for me. Great post, and great thinking from DC
newmann
5/14/2016 7:47am
I'll have to check out the article to see what makes it any better than any other Racer X article. Seems like many of you haven't read much Racer X. That said, my interests in mags comes and goes as I get too busy with other interests. I probably haven't read Racer X in a year but I have every one of them tucked away for good future reading material. Did I mention I have them ALL tucked away?

newmann
5/14/2016 7:49am Edited Date/Time 5/14/2016 7:52am
By the way, "What's Eating Jeff Emig?" Might be one of those in depth articles you guys missed out on in the past...

braaap
Fantasy
2172nd
5/14/2016 8:35am
I too have every Racer X issue plus some of the old newspaper editions. They have always produced great in depth personality stories you won't find anywhere else.
MxKing809
Fantasy
315th
5/14/2016 8:58am
newmann wrote:
I'll have to check out the article to see what makes it any better than any other Racer X article. Seems like many of you haven't...
I'll have to check out the article to see what makes it any better than any other Racer X article. Seems like many of you haven't read much Racer X. That said, my interests in mags comes and goes as I get too busy with other interests. I probably haven't read Racer X in a year but I have every one of them tucked away for good future reading material. Did I mention I have them ALL tucked away?

I haven't read RacerX in a few years, and I know all the big mags run in depth stories that span 3-pages.

This one appears to be quite a bit longer, and more elesive than other. The author said it was out of the norm for the mag, and at 4000 words in length over double the size of the typical feature.
newmann
5/14/2016 9:34am
newmann wrote:
I'll have to check out the article to see what makes it any better than any other Racer X article. Seems like many of you haven't...

MxKing809 wrote:
I haven't read RacerX in a few years, and I know all the big mags run in depth stories that span 3-pages. This one appears to...
I haven't read RacerX in a few years, and I know all the big mags run in depth stories that span 3-pages.

This one appears to be quite a bit longer, and more elesive than other. The author said it was out of the norm for the mag, and at 4000 words in length over double the size of the typical feature.
and at 4000 words in length

Cox ? Interviewing himself with a few snippets from Stroupe?
dboivin
5/14/2016 9:47am
newmann wrote:

MxKing809 wrote:
I haven't read RacerX in a few years, and I know all the big mags run in depth stories that span 3-pages. This one appears to...

newmann wrote:
and at 4000 words in length

Cox ? Interviewing himself with a few snippets from Stroupe?
lol this made me chuckle. I thought the same thing.
jeffro503
5/14/2016 9:47am
Ryno23 wrote:
Agreed king. not that I am vicariously looking into Stroupe's life but I hope there is some info in this story that can help a fellow...
langhammx wrote:
Sorry to hear... I have family members that are going thru the same shit. So sad, but they have to want to change. I just can't...
Sorry to hear... I have family members that are going thru the same shit. So sad, but they have to want to change. I just can't comprehend what makes them addicts.
I have been in the exact same position as you guys , as I watched one of my very best friends ( basically a brother ) spiral down hill until it finally took his life. I tried to help him time and time again , along with a lot of other friends and family members of his....and it basically requires them to hit rock bottom , hopefully survive and then make a comeback to a normal life. It really , really sucks watching a person go through it , and there is basically nothing a person can do to help....unless the addicted person wants help. I feel for both you guys.
jeffro503
5/14/2016 9:51am
On the magazines.....did some of you guys keep all your old mags? I did , and have them stuffed up in the attic. Stopped buying them in and around 05' - 06' I think , except for a few random ones. I have Dirtbike , MXA , RacerX and a few other all dating back to 1979. Probably around 300 - 400 magazines. Kind of cool going back through some of them every now and then.
MxKing809
Fantasy
315th
5/14/2016 11:13am
jeffro503 wrote:
On the magazines.....did some of you guys keep all your old mags? I did , and have them stuffed up in the attic. Stopped buying them...
On the magazines.....did some of you guys keep all your old mags? I did , and have them stuffed up in the attic. Stopped buying them in and around 05' - 06' I think , except for a few random ones. I have Dirtbike , MXA , RacerX and a few other all dating back to 1979. Probably around 300 - 400 magazines. Kind of cool going back through some of them every now and then.
I did, and when I moved out of my parents my mom wanted to throw them all away. I cut every cover off with the anticipation that one day I'll glue them all to a wall in my man cave. BEST WALL PAPER EVER!
kkawboy14
5/14/2016 11:54am
WHAT? Somebody in moto finally acted like a journalist?
bents
Fantasy
710th
5/14/2016 12:07pm
jeffro503 wrote:
On the magazines.....did some of you guys keep all your old mags? I did , and have them stuffed up in the attic. Stopped buying them...
MxKing809 wrote:
I did, and when I moved out of my parents my mom wanted to throw them all away. I cut every cover off with the anticipation...
I did, and when I moved out of my parents my mom wanted to throw them all away. I cut every cover off with the anticipation that one day I'll glue them all to a wall in my man cave. BEST WALL PAPER EVER!
King,

My mom wanted me to throw all of them out too when I moved out, and like a total knucklehead, I did. Starting around 1973 till about 1983, had pretty much every mag that was printed. I thought it was totally wrong but I did it anyway. The only thing I ever did where I regretted listening to my mom. She was, however, pretty right on everything else.
moto0852
5/14/2016 4:17pm
willie838 wrote:
i think i'll always have a racerx subscription. I don't want the digital one, i prefert he print one. a year at whatever it is is...

I'm not trying to argue your point, but I did want to say that every year when I reup my subscription to MXA, Rocky Mountain sends...
I'm not trying to argue your point, but I did want to say that every year when I reup my subscription to MXA, Rocky Mountain sends me a $25 gift card.

I'm not sure how that works out for either business, but I sure do dig it.
It is kinda nice that Dirt bike and MXA actually pay you to subscribe!
Flip109
5/14/2016 4:53pm
Think I'll buy this one and maybe subscribe. Think I quit subscribing back in 05. I miss actually flipping through a mag. Used to chomp at the bits for the next one to come in the mail.

Post a reply to: Dear DC and RacerX:

The Latest