Dear Cycle City Promotions (Albany AX reference)

pitbike502
Edited Date/Time 1/25/2012 6:49pm
I'm going to pull my "mini parent card" for what I would call totally unacceptable organization. My son & I have just left Albany AX, where during the day we had a good time, everything seemed well organized & the website boasted new & improved changes for the event.

In the beginning of the day, the "50's" all together had 3rd practice, and the 3 "50" classes held early heats starting at moto 3 & no later than 10th moto for the last one. Fantastic.

Wht myself, my fellow 50 parent friends & more than likely the rest of the parental group didn't catch was a schedule change that put the 50 class main events at moto 20. The night show began at 7:30 pm.

We filed in for staging at 9pm. NINE AT NIGHT FOR 4-6 50'S. Every major class had already raced, ams, experts, etc. They then proceed to take intermission right before the 50s!! These 4, 5, 6 yr olds are left outside in the 20 degrNY weather for a fucking clown to throw t shirts?!

My son got to his gate, tired & weary of a long day, at 9:45pm. Todd Hammond, promoter, organizer, owner, head honcho is by the gate so I felt the need to express my disappointment. I started very nice & stated that my son & I had a great day, but I felt the extreme time position these young kids were expected to compete in was highly unsafe & unacceptable. His exact answer was"the 50's are not exciting & entertaining, they were permitted early heats but he had a business to run & they were not condusive".

I just about came unglued. I admittedly swore "this is bullshit, my son should be fast asleep, not tired & on a start gate trying to earn a shitty piece of plastic ". His response was "if I have a problem, call him tomorrow ".

Yeah fuxkin right. I impolitely stated "my sons safety is more important at ten pm than losing 50 people in the crowd ".

I feel that I've never bitched about anything or whined, I'm pretty mellow. Todd, you certainly pissed in my cheerios, and I can assure you my families Cycle City Promotions career ended tonight. You can kiss my ass,and never see my support again. I can additionaly assure you the rest of the 50 parents were equally unimpressed.
|
Racerx930
11/19/2011 9:59pm
I just about didn't type anything as I hate to get involved in drama posts, But! In my book Cycle City Promotions is the most well ran Arenacross company I have ever seen, and I've seen them all. He pretty much got the AMA Arenacross series to abandon our region all together.
APLMAN99
11/19/2011 10:01pm
pitbike502 wrote:
I'm going to pull my "mini parent card" for what I would call totally unacceptable organization. My son & I have just left Albany AX, where...
I'm going to pull my "mini parent card" for what I would call totally unacceptable organization. My son & I have just left Albany AX, where during the day we had a good time, everything seemed well organized & the website boasted new & improved changes for the event.

In the beginning of the day, the "50's" all together had 3rd practice, and the 3 "50" classes held early heats starting at moto 3 & no later than 10th moto for the last one. Fantastic.

Wht myself, my fellow 50 parent friends & more than likely the rest of the parental group didn't catch was a schedule change that put the 50 class main events at moto 20. The night show began at 7:30 pm.

We filed in for staging at 9pm. NINE AT NIGHT FOR 4-6 50'S. Every major class had already raced, ams, experts, etc. They then proceed to take intermission right before the 50s!! These 4, 5, 6 yr olds are left outside in the 20 degrNY weather for a fucking clown to throw t shirts?!

My son got to his gate, tired & weary of a long day, at 9:45pm. Todd Hammond, promoter, organizer, owner, head honcho is by the gate so I felt the need to express my disappointment. I started very nice & stated that my son & I had a great day, but I felt the extreme time position these young kids were expected to compete in was highly unsafe & unacceptable. His exact answer was"the 50's are not exciting & entertaining, they were permitted early heats but he had a business to run & they were not condusive".

I just about came unglued. I admittedly swore "this is bullshit, my son should be fast asleep, not tired & on a start gate trying to earn a shitty piece of plastic ". His response was "if I have a problem, call him tomorrow ".

Yeah fuxkin right. I impolitely stated "my sons safety is more important at ten pm than losing 50 people in the crowd ".

I feel that I've never bitched about anything or whined, I'm pretty mellow. Todd, you certainly pissed in my cheerios, and I can assure you my families Cycle City Promotions career ended tonight. You can kiss my ass,and never see my support again. I can additionaly assure you the rest of the 50 parents were equally unimpressed.
So just to be clear, your son's safety was too important for him to race that late, but you had him race anyway?

The Shop

pitbike502
11/19/2011 10:22pm
APLMAN99 wrote:
So just to be clear, your son's safety was too important for him to race that late, but you had him race anyway?
I was whole heartedly against him racing at that point. But driving for 3 hours, and trying to tell a 5 yr old that bleeds moto that he can't ride (especially after what it cost), wasn't really a good end to our day. There are numerous factors to safety that lie on myself, my son, the track & the promoter ,& I never fully blamed him or his company. I was inclined to speak my peace for further events so proper changes could be made. Him telling me he's not concerned about their safety was what set me off.

And yes, the event was executed precisely, and efficiently, I will say good job. But his attitude blows, & is out of line.

Chris, btw, saw a fella decked out in full oneal photo graphics on a honda, thought it was you but I think his name was Mike?
pitbike502
11/19/2011 10:27pm
MX Culture wrote:
who won the Pro mains?
I forgot his name, but 13 on a ktm won 450, matt babbitt 2nd, mitch dougherty 3rd. Didn't get to see 250s.
dboivin
11/19/2011 10:28pm
the big key here is.......

you didn't have to race and he can run it the way he wants. no reason to get pissed at him, make a suggestion of changes you would like to see...but in all reality, its his show and you chose to race it. shit happens. to me this came off as a mini rant.

FYI i've raced at 3am at the silverdome many many times just to see and feel a supercross track in my young days. i don't feel for ya. you know what you signed up for.
pitbike502
11/19/2011 10:35pm
You're right, we didn't HAVE to race, but there is a line between common sense & monetary gain. I did try to offer my opinion for future changes, and it was with no grudge at first. I obviously knew he couldn't turn back time. Please read & understand what I wrote before interpreting otherwise. And yes, this is a mini parent rant. If that's how he feels his program will be towards that clientele, than I felt I needed to share my experience.
dboivin
11/19/2011 10:45pm
not tryin to come off as a dick...so my apologies if i seem blunt.

bottom line is its tough running a show like that. theres so much shit goin on and timing that has to happen...that stuff like your highlighting really becomes minor. I know to you its major...but in the whole picture of things...its minor. the best solution to the problem woulda been to run the race and then send an email or call him the next day to suggest a solution to your concerns...then its done.

i've been in his shoes. there is nothing worse than getting chewed by a mini-dad for something similar to this...he was very correct in saying call him tomorrow as he has a lot on his mind that he has to worry about.
Wolfman
11/19/2011 10:55pm
Last time I checked Todd's wife was hot, but I myself figure him to be a queer. He is just another asshole out to make a buck.
JustMX
11/20/2011 6:10am
I would suggest that it would be more productive to do as the man suggested and call him after the event.

It would certainly make more sense than complaining to him on the way to the line in the middle of an event.

Even if he admited that he made a mistake what could he do to remedy it, ride around the track backwards realy fast to turn back time?

I would also suggest making a note to contact him before the event next year as a reminder to address it prior to the event.
11/20/2011 9:01am
Better night then what we had there just heading up to watch two blocks from there me and my friend (im 17 he's 16) get in a head on collision with a drunk driver that not only hit us but a hit and run crazy night!!
Sherwood
11/20/2011 9:28am Edited Date/Time 11/20/2011 9:32am
C.C promotions has always been very professional and ran well in my opinion. If 10 was to late/ dangerous for your son to race you should've stepped up and told him no. Not blaim someone else.

What we deltt with when I raced as far as promoters goes at arenacross racing would make you count your blessings. I pray I never need to see Randal Williams run the gate/event ever again. Cut em boyssss!!!
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
11/20/2011 10:27am Edited Date/Time 11/20/2011 10:57am
pitbike502 wrote:
I was whole heartedly against him racing at that point. But driving for 3 hours, and trying to tell a 5 yr old that bleeds moto...
I was whole heartedly against him racing at that point. But driving for 3 hours, and trying to tell a 5 yr old that bleeds moto that he can't ride (especially after what it cost), wasn't really a good end to our day. There are numerous factors to safety that lie on myself, my son, the track & the promoter ,& I never fully blamed him or his company. I was inclined to speak my peace for further events so proper changes could be made. Him telling me he's not concerned about their safety was what set me off.

And yes, the event was executed precisely, and efficiently, I will say good job. But his attitude blows, & is out of line.

Chris, btw, saw a fella decked out in full oneal photo graphics on a honda, thought it was you but I think his name was Mike?
His exact answer was"the 50's are not exciting & entertaining, they were permitted early heats but he had a business to run & they were not condusive".

So where does he say he is not concerned about their safety? Even in YOUR quote of his exact words it said nothing about his not being concerned about safety, that is a assumption on your part because he didn't see things your way. The bottom line is if it was not safe than YOU should not have let him race and you are the ONE who dosen't care about YOUR sons safety. Take some personal responsibilty because the problem was you and not the program.

If you want to say it was inconvenient than say it was inconvenient but don't throw out the safety bullshit to try to make your point.
pitbike502
11/20/2011 12:53pm
lostboy819 wrote:
His exact answer was"the 50's are not exciting & entertaining, they were permitted early heats but he had a business to run & they were not...
His exact answer was"the 50's are not exciting & entertaining, they were permitted early heats but he had a business to run & they were not condusive".

So where does he say he is not concerned about their safety? Even in YOUR quote of his exact words it said nothing about his not being concerned about safety, that is a assumption on your part because he didn't see things your way. The bottom line is if it was not safe than YOU should not have let him race and you are the ONE who dosen't care about YOUR sons safety. Take some personal responsibilty because the problem was you and not the program.

If you want to say it was inconvenient than say it was inconvenient but don't throw out the safety bullshit to try to make your point.
I obviously am not going to say word for word what our conversation was, but his concern for safety for them wasn't high imo. I understand that I permitted my son to ride at that time of night, I did not blame him for my decision to either let my son race or not. I never started conversation that he could somehow change the night & fix things. I spoke about future events. It was my intention to not go through it again at a future event. Where did I say I came over looking to start crap with him & unleash mini parent hell? Never said I did. After we exchanged several words the conversation turned.
I said I told him we had a good time, we did have a good time. His program was run well, everything happened on time with little to no delay. I said that.
And like I already said, again, I became angry after suggesting that at future events the 4-6 yr olds weren't ran at ten pm, when he informed me that it was not a concern of his that it was not a good, safe, idea to run 4-6 yr old children at ten pm, I became angry. That's careless and callous.
pitbike502
11/20/2011 1:04pm
JustMX wrote:
I would suggest that it would be more productive to do as the man suggested and call him after the event. It would certainly make more...
I would suggest that it would be more productive to do as the man suggested and call him after the event.

It would certainly make more sense than complaining to him on the way to the line in the middle of an event.

Even if he admited that he made a mistake what could he do to remedy it, ride around the track backwards realy fast to turn back time?

I would also suggest making a note to contact him before the event next year as a reminder to address it prior to the event.
I honestly just wanted to say what I thought about the situation. I didn't want to call and seem like a wanted a refund or a hat to heal my pain. His race was going to be run in one minute and just wanted to pack and go home, not drag it out and hold my tongue.
In addition, I didn't expect him tp turn back time, give my son an extra lap, or a free head start.. I would like to have participated in his future events, we had a good time, I just didn't want him to be riding that late again.
BD49
11/20/2011 1:47pm
APLMAN99 wrote:
and for "a shitty piece of plastic ".

Can't fault the promoter for making a business decision. We ran a night series here for a few years and usually wouldn't even start the second moto until well after 10:00.

Even before my son raced I always enjoyed watching the 50 classes and I credit the KJSC for me getting him a dirtbike at 5.

There isn't a chance in hell that I would ever take him to a race anywhere where we would be subjected to 20 degree weather. I'm to cold blooded as it is and couldn't stand that.
Sherwood
11/20/2011 3:05pm
If you think a 3 hour drives long this sport might not be for you.
pitbike502
11/20/2011 3:32pm
BD49 wrote:
and for "a shitty piece of plastic ". Can't fault the promoter for making a business decision. We ran a night series here for a few...
and for "a shitty piece of plastic ".

Can't fault the promoter for making a business decision. We ran a night series here for a few years and usually wouldn't even start the second moto until well after 10:00.

Even before my son raced I always enjoyed watching the 50 classes and I credit the KJSC for me getting him a dirtbike at 5.

There isn't a chance in hell that I would ever take him to a race anywhere where we would be subjected to 20 degree weather. I'm to cold blooded as it is and couldn't stand that.
I was obviously steaming, yeah a trophy means a lot to little guys, and I really am not faulting him for running a business. If anyone hasn't noticed, we did have a good time. I'm just bent outta shape the attitude he took on the 50's, and really guys? You reaaally think its good to run 4-6 yr olds at ten pm? Not the best idea. Yes my kid ran, but if you haven't had your youngster lined up in the stadium to ride an Indoor track, then you really don't understand (not being a dick).

And did I complain about driving? A 3 hour drive is still a 3 hour drive...

We did have fun. Not knocking that. And yeah, its cold, but its NY. Coulda been knee deep snow! If anyone responds, please read this correctly, I am not bashing the event, don't want to hang the dude. The only thing I wanted to happen was just a change for the class in the future.
DANIELINS
11/20/2011 4:20pm
boy after reading these asinine responses to a legitimite gripe i can see why peolple are saying this board is going down hill, hate to say it but a lot of you guys are just idiots..pitbike502 don't give these clowns anymore ammo , most of these asshats sit at their computer and wait for someone to attack...

Post a reply to: Dear Cycle City Promotions (Albany AX reference)

The Latest