Dear AMA RE: passing on yellow

The Rock
Edited Date/Time 4/8/2016 6:33pm
Please change the rule to no longer allow passing on a yellow. If you think about how dumb...I mean impractical is a caution flag where the riders are still allowed to battle for position? If I had just crashed on a SX track I would prefer my competitors to be holding their position while I remount and/or get out of harms way.

Do you agree or disagree? MXA's Monday web recap touched upon this subject and mentioned the need for a rule change. While I don't agree with MXA on combining the East West series (I'm oppose the notion strongly) I am on the same page with MXA on changing the present illogical yellow flag policy.
|
cslacker
4/6/2016 10:25am Edited Date/Time 4/6/2016 10:25am
I have to agree with you here. How can you "ride cautiously" when you are at risk of being passed if you do so?
Motofinne
4/6/2016 10:38am
I agree. The rule is crazy. In probably every other motorsport the yellow flag means that no passing is allowed.

Passing when the yellow flag is out should not be allowed.
huck
4/6/2016 10:42am
The yellow flag could mean there is a downed rider at the end of a 100 yard section. If it's a dangerous situation, they use the red flag. There is rarely a time when no yellow flag is being waved...imagine how boring it would be it there was no passing....
Graybeard
Fantasy
2206th
4/6/2016 10:46am
Rock, this is how I know I am officially OLD. When in God's name did it become legal to pass under the yellow flag? And who was the Einstein that decided passing under the yellow was OK? I don't know of any other sport that allows passing under the yellow, and at every local race rider's meeting I attend, the directive is to hold your position, be cautious, and DO NOT PASS when the yellow flag is out! Go back to the yellow flag actually being the yellow flag, then the Red Cross flag will actually mean something! Now Red and White is the new Yellow! Preach On Brother!

The Shop

RPM68
4/6/2016 10:47am
I think the rules are good now, the yellow flag represents a rider is down but not hurt. Red Cross Flag should be tires on the ground(ish) with no passing when a rider is injured. God forbid if a rider is severely injured and cant be moved quickly, Red Flag and stop the race.

I like y'alls points but respectively disagree.
Trav138
4/6/2016 11:05am
I like the safety aspect of this idea, my only concern is their are main events where the yellow flag is constantly out. For every stall, tip over, tuff block on track, crashes, the list is huge on when the yellow is used and you will have races where guys are holding position under yellow more than they are racing. When the races are over as fast as they are, a race with a lot of yellow could be ugly from fan perspective. Then, will their be repercussions from this, such as making tracks easier or less technical to try and cut down on the needs to use the yellow flag, I think it could hurt more than help in some cases.
Maybe introduce more subtle changes such as: proper flagging positions, more lights and additional flaggers when needed, also flagging training, seminar etc. create a team of flaggers who are paid and are part of track crew week to week. One thing I am strongly in favor of is guys in the mains who are rolling around not keeping a race pace or trying to keep pace should be black flagged. This happens more than it should, sometimes early in the race and is a danger to everyone out there.
I think it could work, but maybe make the mains 25 and 20 laps or timed mains + 2 laps or something
IWreckALot
4/6/2016 11:06am
I just have to ask, how many incidents in the last few seasons were caused or worsened by someone trying to pass on a yellow flag? I don't recall any off hand, but is this REALLY a problem, or are we just trying to add more lines to the rule book?
Fat Fingers
4/6/2016 11:16am
I have never seen a main event where a yellow flag is constantly out.
Stickers
4/6/2016 11:19am
The flagger's responsibility would increase even more. How many times do we see flags waving for no one or someone that's down way up the track. At local tracks (where there is no jump or pass) I see flags waving on a face only to roll the jump then see a rider down way up the track. I see the point but disagree this is the fix.
The Rock
4/6/2016 11:34am Edited Date/Time 4/6/2016 11:48am
IWreckALot wrote:
I just have to ask, how many incidents in the last few seasons were caused or worsened by someone trying to pass on a yellow flag...
I just have to ask, how many incidents in the last few seasons were caused or worsened by someone trying to pass on a yellow flag? I don't recall any off hand, but is this REALLY a problem, or are we just trying to add more lines to the rule book?
I just have to ask does it make ANY sense to you to have different yellow flag procedures for AMA Amateur and Professional racing? Given you don't have to be that smart to race motorcycles (with myself being a prime example) I like keeping things simple.

Don't instill in up and coming racers they can't pass on yellow but turn pro you can pass on a yellow. NASCAR changed their policy over safety concerns a few years ago that had previously allowed drivers to race to the finish line then begin their yellow.

Huck great point since the yellow flags fly pretty much all the time in both main events and we certainly don't want to limit passing.

Trav138-You bring up a touchy subject but I agree with you. If backmarkers are circulating doing the jumps then let them get track experience but if they start rolling the jumps and/or their lap times drop off significantly then by all means black flag them. There's a race going on and if you are rolling the jumps you aren't racing IMO
Prntscrn
4/6/2016 11:38am Edited Date/Time 4/6/2016 11:39am
I don't know how it works over there. Is it a still yellow you're allowed to pass and wavin you're not? As long as the flagger know what he or she is doing and the riders are not total rookies in my experienced that has worked really well. I know in the nationals and supercross there is some wort of light and not still/wavin, I was more thinking about amateur level
cwtoyota
4/6/2016 12:31pm
Stickers wrote:
The flagger's responsibility would increase even more. How many times do we see flags waving for no one or someone that's down way up the track...
The flagger's responsibility would increase even more. How many times do we see flags waving for no one or someone that's down way up the track. At local tracks (where there is no jump or pass) I see flags waving on a face only to roll the jump then see a rider down way up the track. I see the point but disagree this is the fix.
Spot on in my opinion.
Berm
Fantasy
136th
4/6/2016 12:39pm
I disagree. Yellow flag should not require no-passing for supercross. While it works in amateur races, I don't think it should be the case for pros.
The Rock
4/6/2016 12:41pm Edited Date/Time 4/6/2016 12:44pm
First off I am not thinking about having my Adam's apple shaved nor have I startred any estrogen treatments. I have however had a change of position after a conversation with an official I respect just now.

I now understand why the rules are different in amateur and pros. Pros are much more adept at handling curveballs on the track so a yellow for a tuff block on the track is a head up not a signal to stop racing. It is still a conundrum because the reality is the racers won't back off for fear of being passed. This is above my pay grade and I will let people smarter than me figure this one out or keep it the same.

The ONLY thing I am sure of is I am glad I don't have to make these decisions......but about those timed mains...can we agree it is past time to have a 15 minute 250 main and a 20 minute 450 main? We could stop talking about short lap times and get back to important topics....like upper body protection. :-)
Mit12
4/6/2016 12:42pm
The problem with the AMA is inconsistencies with penalties. They seem to pull penalties out of nowhere! They have always done this no matter who is / has been in charge. I think that the AMA needs to have one team representative from each team preferably a team manager to help with in forcing rules and issuing penalties.
zookrider62!
Fantasy
583rd
4/6/2016 12:51pm
Prntscrn wrote:
I don't know how it works over there. Is it a still yellow you're allowed to pass and wavin you're not? As long as the flagger...
I don't know how it works over there. Is it a still yellow you're allowed to pass and wavin you're not? As long as the flagger know what he or she is doing and the riders are not total rookies in my experienced that has worked really well. I know in the nationals and supercross there is some wort of light and not still/wavin, I was more thinking about amateur level
That is how it is at most local races ive been to.
Waving no pass
Stationary pass

At amatuer arenacross races ive done, yellow means pass with caution, so im not sure how it would be viewed that amateur racing is different from pros (while racing under the same management)
4/6/2016 1:09pm
The Rock wrote:
Please change the rule to no longer allow passing on a yellow. If you think about how dumb...I mean impractical is a caution flag where the...
Please change the rule to no longer allow passing on a yellow. If you think about how dumb...I mean impractical is a caution flag where the riders are still allowed to battle for position? If I had just crashed on a SX track I would prefer my competitors to be holding their position while I remount and/or get out of harms way.

Do you agree or disagree? MXA's Monday web recap touched upon this subject and mentioned the need for a rule change. While I don't agree with MXA on combining the East West series (I'm oppose the notion strongly) I am on the same page with MXA on changing the present illogical yellow flag policy.
I don't disagree, and maybe this should be a separate topic. Thought about starting one, as I didn't see it brought up, but the current state of flagging in general needs a attention. This year it seems to be a little more on the forefront with the Anderson, then Dungey, and the debate on Stewart and what responsibilities lappers have with the blue flag.

AMA/Feld whoever is preparing these guys seem to be dropping the ball... I don't want to beat up the sport or powers that be. BUT did anyone else see the red flag incident? Finish line has red flag, guy goes down over the finish line coming up short. So as a caution flagger at the finish line pulls out the GREEN flag... Uh. He then proceeds to have the red flag up, AND the green flag. How in the hell are the riders supposed to know whats going on? I get that he didn't have a yellow flag and someone eventually ran over to give him one, but that's kind of my point, how unprepared... why wouldn't there be a yellow flag there for him to grab? How dangerous could that have been coming out of the corner looking up to see the green flag pinning it, and then noticing the red flag late and landing on anyone of the riders that are checking up on the backside of the finish line...
IWreckALot
4/6/2016 1:24pm
The Rock wrote:
IWRECKALOT this is an old issue plus I resent the "adding more lines to the rulebook" comment but I will get over it :-) Stephane Roncada...
IWRECKALOT this is an old issue plus I resent the "adding more lines to the rulebook" comment but I will get over it :-)

Stephane Roncada in 2009 said what I am saying SEVEN years later

http://m.vitalmx.com/forums/MotoRelated,20/Passing-under-Yellow,373851
Fair enough. I'm just bustin your chops man. I know you like to discuss all things safety. I probably throw caution into the wind more than I should so we can balance each other out. Ha. I just dislike more rules in general. If there is a problem, I agree with correcting it, but creating rules based on hypotheticals can get out of hand real quick. I also disagree with the way penalties are assessed and therefore hate more rules.

Take for example, the Dungey penalty two races ago. I don't think the red cross flag should have been out. The officials refuse to use judgement in leveraging penalties, and in that case, nothing was gained or lost by what Dungey did. So I disagree with any penalty. If you could tell that Dungey looked at the flag before committing, then went ahead and hucked the jump, then I could see that it was a intentional violation of the rule, but from Dungey's reaction, you could tell he didn't see the flag until he was committed.
randyvaldez1
4/6/2016 2:04pm
ama officials wnat the flaggers to warn riders that there a rider/object on the course ,those riders are still jocking for position(racing) just giving them heads up.
BobbyM
4/6/2016 2:29pm
The Rock wrote:
Please change the rule to no longer allow passing on a yellow. If you think about how dumb...I mean impractical is a caution flag where the...

I think they should immediately drive a yellow stake into the ground to reflect danger ahead.
Trav138
4/6/2016 3:00pm
I have never seen a main event where a yellow flag is constantly out.
Well maybe not constantly but simultaneously yes, at various spots throughout the race, I've been to SX races where it was one yellow flag after another around the track, for various reasons. May not happen to often, but I've seen races like that and the tv broadcast didn't show much of it outside top ten.
mauidex
4/6/2016 3:50pm
BobbyM wrote:
I think they should immediately drive a yellow stake into the ground to reflect danger ahead.
THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! TongueTongueTongueTongueTongueTongueTongueTongueTongueTongueTongueTongue
The Rock
4/6/2016 6:51pm
The Rock wrote:

BobbyM wrote:
Vital MX post of 2016

Post a reply to: Dear AMA RE: passing on yellow

The Latest