Dean Ferris Interview

7/4/2014 12:47pm Edited Date/Time 7/6/2014 6:37am
Good interview.. In for the next 4 gp's and last 3 nationals!

http://www.mxgp.com/news/digging-deep-dean-ferris
|
Olson
7/4/2014 1:06pm
Good to hear, weird though he saying racing in Europe is his dream. I thought when he jumped ship the dream was to race in the US. He can't say the Dixon bike was not good enough. The 2013 Dixon YZF250 was one of the strongest bikes in MX2. Will be interesting to compare his results in the GPs and AMA. See where it takes him.
Bearuno
7/4/2014 2:11pm
Olson wrote:
Good to hear, weird though he saying racing in Europe is his dream. I thought when he jumped ship the dream was to race in the...
Good to hear, weird though he saying racing in Europe is his dream. I thought when he jumped ship the dream was to race in the US. He can't say the Dixon bike was not good enough. The 2013 Dixon YZF250 was one of the strongest bikes in MX2. Will be interesting to compare his results in the GPs and AMA. See where it takes him.
You take the best deal you can get, Olson.

I'm pretty sure he'd "aged out" of MX2 - a dreadful rule - and was looking for the best deal he could get. There's only so many factory rides in MXGP, and, when if you don't have one, and you get a call from Roger / KTM USA to race for them, well, I think it's a no brainer.

Dean had gone to the GPs on his own bat / out of his own pocket - he showed a preference for Motocross early on.

He got hurt, and rapidly dumped, ironically, by ICE One, and had to get a ride in MX2. Luckily for him, it worked out very well , leading to the KTM deal.

I'm sure the mention of 3 weeks before the US Nationals starting as being the time of his injury is wrong, as it was stated in the article. I think it was three weeks before his 'coast' re-started. He'd actually done very well in SX - qualifying for each final, I think, and regularly in the top 10? Not bad for never having done SX at such a high level. But, perhaps he discovered it wasn't really to his liking - fair enough, it's not Motocross, it's a very different branch of the sport..

His employment with what is, essentially, the same company, and the injury to others, that has left the Huskatoom team largely not being represented out there, has provided him with another, great opportunity. I hope it works out for him, and he can avoid injury. It seems the "Husky " Team, and the HRC Team, are vying for the 'most often out of it' honours, this year.

Who knows, with a bit of luck, he might just do well in the GPs he runs, And the US Nationals he runs. Then, have KTM / Husky, wondering who gets him. That would be a classic - and then it really would indicate whether or not he had much enthusiasm for SX - the main game in the US.

I wish him well - he's a great young bloke. I'd love to see him and Todd in the same team next year, but, I'd say that's wishfull thinking.
Derpin' DJ
Fantasy
2779th
7/4/2014 2:15pm
I wish he didn't drop the Dixon 450 deal. Would have been a great bike
Bearuno
7/4/2014 3:00pm
Derpin' DJ wrote:
Derpin'DJ - anyone that runs Danger 5s 'Boss' as his Avatar, - well, I'm just not sure if you're cool or crazy.

The Shop

7/4/2014 3:29pm
Derpin' DJ wrote:
Not sure, Goncalves results havent been good on it and hes a good rider.. Hope dean gets a good mxgp ride for next year.
warrnum
7/4/2014 4:20pm
I a huge Dean fan but I have to agree with Olson, a odd interview. Dean bought out of a good ride to race in the U.S, things didnt go to plan and Roger has no place for him next year without a real chance to prove himself. The bike he jumped off would have been more than capable of proving his worth on the G.P circuit if that was where he wanted to be.
mccread
7/6/2014 3:54am
Good for Dean to come back to MXGP, it's where he belongs. Hopefully he will do well in these four GPs top ten yesterday was a good start.

With so many riders moving up plus possibly RV coming too, that doesn't leave many rides left for some very good riders.
shredder22
7/6/2014 4:05am Edited Date/Time 7/6/2014 4:06am
Olson wrote:
Good to hear, weird though he saying racing in Europe is his dream. I thought when he jumped ship the dream was to race in the...
Bearuno wrote:
You take the best deal you can get, Olson. I'm pretty sure he'd "aged out" of MX2 - a dreadful rule - and was looking for...
You take the best deal you can get, Olson.

I'm pretty sure he'd "aged out" of MX2 - a dreadful rule - and was looking for the best deal he could get. There's only so many factory rides in MXGP, and, when if you don't have one, and you get a call from Roger / KTM USA to race for them, well, I think it's a no brainer.

Dean had gone to the GPs on his own bat / out of his own pocket - he showed a preference for Motocross early on.

He got hurt, and rapidly dumped, ironically, by ICE One, and had to get a ride in MX2. Luckily for him, it worked out very well , leading to the KTM deal.

I'm sure the mention of 3 weeks before the US Nationals starting as being the time of his injury is wrong, as it was stated in the article. I think it was three weeks before his 'coast' re-started. He'd actually done very well in SX - qualifying for each final, I think, and regularly in the top 10? Not bad for never having done SX at such a high level. But, perhaps he discovered it wasn't really to his liking - fair enough, it's not Motocross, it's a very different branch of the sport..

His employment with what is, essentially, the same company, and the injury to others, that has left the Huskatoom team largely not being represented out there, has provided him with another, great opportunity. I hope it works out for him, and he can avoid injury. It seems the "Husky " Team, and the HRC Team, are vying for the 'most often out of it' honours, this year.

Who knows, with a bit of luck, he might just do well in the GPs he runs, And the US Nationals he runs. Then, have KTM / Husky, wondering who gets him. That would be a classic - and then it really would indicate whether or not he had much enthusiasm for SX - the main game in the US.

I wish him well - he's a great young bloke. I'd love to see him and Todd in the same team next year, but, I'd say that's wishfull thinking.
"He'd actually done very well in SX" I don't know if I'd say that. He himself mentioned him not doing as well as he expected in SX was the main reason for him going back to Europe. If Dean himself admits he didn't do very well in SX, I think I'll take his word for it.

It sounds like he prefers MX over SX and that he wants to stay in Europe and race MXGP. I think he is very talented and he probably could have gotten better at SX if he stayed over here for a few more years, but it looks like he's going back to Europe and I wish him the best. Hopefully he impresses some GP teams over the next few rounds and he is able to score himself a good ride for next year.

p.s. this shows what an animal Kenny is to come over here and kick ass in both SX and MX. Him and Tomac are gonna be battling for top dog once RV is gone for good.
jamma10
7/6/2014 4:32am
Olson wrote:
I thought the interview contradicted what he'd said previously too, but then I looked up an old interview from a year ago and it seemed as though his longterm plan had always been to race GPs, with America being an option he might like to explore a few years down the line.

But then KTM made an offer that he felt he couldn't refuse and obviously all his thoughts turned to America.
Bearuno
7/6/2014 5:07am
"He'd actually done very well in SX" - seriously, I'd say qualifying for, I think every main at the races he attended (I could be wrong on that), and doing consistent top 10s is pretty bloody good.

I just don't get the way so many rave about the importance / high level of US SX, yet write people off unless they are winning. Look at the crap endlessly written about, say, Dungey. People will put shit on him, and others, who are not winning everything, yet, they are doing something the average - well, the far far above average Pro. could ever do. I guess, "if you aint winning, you ain't shit".

As I said, I don't get that mentality from 'fans'. Especially ones that are (or should be) more informed / interested in the sport, that the average, non riding 'fan'.

That Dean would be disappointed in his results - yes, high level riders Should be less than completely satisfied with anything less than winning. But, of course, most will not be winning all the time, or, perhaps, ever.

As for someone saying he walked away from a winning bike - well no, he didn't.

He no longer was able to race that amazing Bike It / Cosworth Yamaha, as he'd aged out. Luongos' rule, stopped him from progressing further with the 250 class, in the GPs. A piss poor rule if there ever was one. 250s , of any type, are not tiddlers. And there sure as hell was no guarrantee Bike It's 450 was going to be anything special. The carbed 250 Cosworth Yamaha was developed to the absolute extreme - going to a 450, was another project again, to be combined with their efforts with the new 250.

Dean took a great opportunity that was offered to him - he honourably paid out his contract, and Steve Dixon honourably didn't stop Dean from going.

Roger has no place for him on the Team? I've read / heard nothing like that, but, it may well be the case. But the GPs, and the 3 (?) Nationals he has on his schedule, may just change things for him. If he does well in the 3 US nationals, he may have the opportunity to stay. He may like SX, or he may have come to the conclusion it's a circus, that is not for him. I hope he gets what best suites him.

Dean got 10th in the qualifier in Sweden, after running in 5th, then having a moment. I hope he does well in the actual motos - the first is on shortly. But, it's a hell of a hard ask, jumping in amongst the MXGP series. I wish him luck, and that the 'injury monster' that has pursued him for a few seasons now, can be left behind. He's being interviewd right now by Amy Dargan

Kenny doing well in the US - yes, yes indeed he is.

He's been there for a few years now, and, above and beyond that, had raced all over the World, and in the US (as a junior) many, many times in his childhood. He's been preparing for racing in the US, with a desire to do so, for most of his young life. Two blokes, with such vastly different life and racing backgrounds - Dean Ferris and Ken Roczen - you'd be hard pressed to find. Without a doubt, baring injury, KR could dominate US racing for many years. Tomac - 'bred for racing', is the most apt description of him, with his dad's background, and the life he's led. He's the product of a far nicer / more effective version of TA's 'life project' for his sons, Mike and Jeff.
crusty_xx
Fantasy
207th
7/6/2014 5:12am
Will be interesting to see how he does at the last 3 nationals in August.
I'd say he's somewhere between P4-P7 (1 further back with herlings at Unadilla Cool ) but its hard to tell
mccread
7/6/2014 6:16am
Dean 14th in the first moto in Sweden.
Bearuno
7/6/2014 6:37am
No - 13th!

Nathan Watson, his fellow 'fill in' teammate, was 14th.

*First Rule Of Racing - beat your Teammate!

He got a pretty good start, but got a bit sketchy - Let's see how he settles in .

Post a reply to: Dean Ferris Interview

The Latest