Danny " Magoo " Chandler... It was all for the fans.

Clutchy
Edited Date/Time 5/7/2012 1:25pm
Hard to believe its been two years ago today....... October 5, 1959 – May 4, 2010

Danny " Magoo " Chandler was one of the very few guys that raced a dirt bike that was bigger then the race going on around him. From the very beginning he had a connection with the fans. And Danny had fans from the time he could sling a leg over a bike. Whatever that X factor was, Danny had it. Down to earth goofy ass hillbilly. He was a legend before he ever rode a national. How many guys can you say that about in an era of NO internet, cable tv, Nothing but Cycle news, MXA and Dirt Bike Magazine. It was word of mouth, all you had to do was see him ride once. He was almost a mythical creature to those that hadn't seen him ride.

In an era where all the top guys had nicknames and personalities to go along with them. Magoo was among the greats and wasn't afraid to rub elbows with the very best the world had to offer. And he accomplished that without winning championships. I'm not sure there's ever been or ever will be anything quite like him again.

If you were lucky enough to witness one of those days where it all just worked for him, Maybe one of those days at Plymouth, Est, Mcgills or even Dixon, Hell it could of been anywhere. Then you'll know what I'm talking about. There were days he did things on a dirt bike you didn't even know was possible and that no one else would even think of let alone try. And when it worked he was untouchable. I guarantee there were days it wouldn't of mattered if Decoster or mikola were there. They'd been running for second.

And when it didn't work........ well that's a whole other story. Danny could crash in ways that you didn't even know was possible. Rag doll doesn't even begin to explain it. The kind of stuff that would make Evil Kneivel cringe.

It was all for the fans, plain and simple, that's all it was about.... From the very beginning to the very end, He had the same sheepish grin. Making you happy made him happier.

So in closing I will say I hope you had the opportunity to at least once, cross your arms up on the side of a motocross track in front of the biggest jump around and turn a watch " Dazzling Danny Magoo Chandler " uncork the monster......!! Danny gave me a lifetime of memories all of which put a smile on my face and make me a kid again.

God speed

I Love you and I'll see you again.......
|
MCfan4life
5/5/2012 12:03am
Nicely said Clutchy.

I was just thinking of Magoo the other day when I did the thread on Sharky and knew it was around the same time.

R.I.P Magoo
corsair
5/5/2012 1:21am
Wow, that was a nice tribute Clutchy. You took me right back to another time and another place. Thank you for that.
newmann
5/5/2012 4:51am
Whatever became of the custom Sprinter van project that Lackey was heading up? It was pretty much finished when Danny passed away wasn't it?
mooch
Fantasy
431st
5/5/2012 5:49am
Several times I had the pleasure of seeing Magoo annihilate the competition at small night track called "Little Oakie" which was down by Fresno. Super nice down to earth guy who always put on a great show!

The Shop

Hut
5/5/2012 6:00am
Well said
BobbyM
5/5/2012 6:39am
Great post for a damn good man and quite possibly one of the fastest and without a doubt the bravest mxer that's ever lived.

Can you imagine if danny in his younger years took training and his future in mx a little more seriously? Wow...the record books would look much different today i suspect. Danny magoo chandler....the legend lives on.
Tumblin
5/5/2012 7:58am
Any pic you post of Danny you'll find all eyes on him. Even riders staging were rubber-necking to not miss a moment...
Clutchy
5/5/2012 8:25am
BobbyM wrote:
Great post for a damn good man and quite possibly one of the fastest and without a doubt the bravest mxer that's ever lived. Can you...
Great post for a damn good man and quite possibly one of the fastest and without a doubt the bravest mxer that's ever lived.

Can you imagine if danny in his younger years took training and his future in mx a little more seriously? Wow...the record books would look much different today i suspect. Danny magoo chandler....the legend lives on.
Well said Bob... Heck, you put Danny on one of those early water cooled OW yammies that Bob had and I can't even imagine. At that point if he trained hard it would of stop being fair...

That was the beauty of being Magoo though, He didn't have to win all the races or championship to be Magoo, Thats not what made him so special........ It was just being himself. Just like you old man.. Thanks to Him, You, Shu and the rest of the guys I had one KICK ASS childhood of Moto... Love ya Bob
tmphotoart
Fantasy
1233rd
5/5/2012 9:07am
Magoo was a true racer and put 110% effort in any race he entered. He wouldn't sit out a race just because of a bike he didn't like . . .

God Speed Magoo.

Race On . . .
RexBackman
5/5/2012 9:50am
A little kid with a milk stand to get on his red framed CZ 250 @ 10th St Bridge track in Marysville.

The memory is strong...

He was one great man at a wonderful time in America's motocross history.
jeffro503
5/5/2012 9:57am
Great tribute Chris! Danny was / is a legend. You were one lucky dude to know him.
pacman00
5/5/2012 9:57am
always was and always will be my favorite rider ever.
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4254th
5/5/2012 10:08am
Threw this up in Rup's thread. One of those funny little bit of serendipity that shows up in shots unintentionally from time to time.

450 Start at the Hangtown race in 2010 just after Magoo died.

MX-Files
5/5/2012 10:12am
newmann wrote:
Whatever became of the custom Sprinter van project that Lackey was heading up? It was pretty much finished when Danny passed away wasn't it?
Newmann (and others)

The van wasn't finished at the time of Danny's passing so the family sold the van to Chris at Motion Pro and directed the rest of the money to Wings for Life in Danny's name. Below are some photos I snapped at Anaheim 1 of this year...Pretty cool of the MP guys...

Best,

Todd

ocscottie
5/5/2012 10:25am
Well said Chris...man...i thought about him all day yesterday. They truly broke the mold when Danny was created and he touched so many peoples lives, just as much after his accident as before, just an amazing human being...hard to even put into words my friend....

Spent a couple hours ripping my room apart looking for this, i knew i still had it put away somewhere, wish it was in better shape....these were the shirts they made for him after his accident.

gsxrcr28
Fantasy
2364th
5/5/2012 11:01am
Bad dude, with some amazing talent.

RIP Magoo
bmxcurator
5/5/2012 2:25pm
Every time I see a rider these days pull off the track on an otherwise ridable bike...I ALWAYS remember this pic of Magoo
JustMX
5/5/2012 5:59pm
This is destined to be the thread that everybody agrees because it would be impossible to argue with anything posted.
JRMX59
5/5/2012 10:49pm
Danny won the first race I was ever in, the 100cc big wheel class at Helvetia like 40-41 yrs ago. He was on a Steens and had to run with us in the "big wheel" class against the Hodaka Super rats, Kawasaki Green Streaks and Yamaha AT1s, I guess to make it harder for him. Well he won that race lapping me in the process and at the end he peeled off this super long wicked ass wheelie, had on these green Bates leathers, that just burned into my 12 yr old brain and made me wanna race even more. Then seeing him at Plymouth and other races later on as Pro, wow, that guy was so cool, always seemed to be having more fun doing it than anyone else , you could tell he just really dug it.
ocscottie
5/5/2012 11:07pm
Was hoping for it to be mentioned on the SX broadcast tonight...but i kinda figured that was asking a little too much from the SX circus.

I was impressed with the UFC on FOX tonight open up with a condolences to Beastie Boys MCD.
wildbill
5/6/2012 12:06am
this shot of Danny in a 1976 issue of MXA magazine got me hooked.

Said something like "wildest rider to hit the national circuit."

Clutchy
5/6/2012 9:06am
jeffro503 wrote:
Great tribute Chris! Danny was / is a legend. You were one lucky dude to know him.
Thanks Jeff............ I was lucky and blessed To be a kid during the hay day of the sport. Which is how I think most feel that got to enjoy and participate during that time. Its a very different landscape now a days.
TooOldToPlay
5/6/2012 9:25am Edited Date/Time 5/6/2012 9:32am

Couple of shots I took at Millville, MN

Post a reply to: Danny " Magoo " Chandler... It was all for the fans.

The Latest