Damn these new bikes are good.

JW381
Edited Date/Time 7/12/2015 6:52pm
Was having bike problems at the track yesterday so a buddy let me hop on his Hooskie 450. I've ridden a few 450s on a track and I'm always blown away by how good they are. Makes me confident that I'll be riding until I'm old and grey, because they're just that easy to get around on. I still prefer the excitement of a 250 2 banger, but that Husky didn't care what gear I was in, didn't care if I went inside or outside, just wanted to be ridden.

The only kicker was the price tag that accompanied the bike when he bought it. You get what you pay for tho.
|
Tumblin
7/12/2015 11:10am
I'll agree these new bikes are easy to get around a track on. If you have the skill and can remain healthy it's easy to see why there are so many guys over 40 still competing. Definitely one nice positive in our current sport.
moore433
7/12/2015 11:36am
I'll be 50 in January and my dad rides a Husky 450.... it keeps him in shape, that's for sure...
bd
7/12/2015 12:34pm
I'm a two stroke junkie. That said, hard to compete with a four stroke. These bikes are ready to rock.
Graybeard
Fantasy
2310th
7/12/2015 12:51pm
moore433 wrote:
I'll be 50 in January and my dad rides a Husky 450.... it keeps him in shape, that's for sure...
Moore433--hope to see you in the Over 50 class my friend!! Spent yesterday at Underground getting used to my new (to me) 2013 CRF450, I usually kick around on an 04 CR250R. I tell you, today my upper body is sore as heck, the extra weight and pull of the 450 is a blessing and a curse! I can definitely ride the 250 harder longer, but in an all-out one-two lap dash, I can turn it quicker on the 450, no doubt. But I still prefer the 250, just for the fun factor. And as for the price tag, no need to buy a brand new ride, you can get great 2 year old bike for less than half the new sticker tag, sometimes even new "leftover" models.

The Shop

mjskier
7/12/2015 2:21pm
bd wrote:
I'm a two stroke junkie. That said, hard to compete with a four stroke. These bikes are ready to rock.
You can do what I do: Ride a 4 stroke at the track and use old premix in the lawn mower. Best of both world: Easy riding around, and the smell brings all the good memories back while mowing the lawn...
IceMan446
7/12/2015 2:40pm
I know they are easy to ride when the slow guys roll the corners, get lined up for the jumps and roll it on and clear everything.

No technique or corner speed necessary.
JBernard_401
7/12/2015 2:47pm
IceMan446 wrote:
I know they are easy to ride when the slow guys roll the corners, get lined up for the jumps and roll it on and clear...
I know they are easy to ride when the slow guys roll the corners, get lined up for the jumps and roll it on and clear everything.

yep. every one i've ever ridden....boooooring.
fun to not have to use the clutch, doesnt matter what gear its in, no hit, ect. for about 45min. then it got real old. like of like riding a bumper car.
burn1986
Fantasy
3303rd
7/12/2015 3:11pm
mjskier wrote:
You can do what I do: Ride a 4 stroke at the track and use old premix in the lawn mower. Best of both world: Easy...
You can do what I do: Ride a 4 stroke at the track and use old premix in the lawn mower. Best of both world: Easy riding around, and the smell brings all the good memories back while mowing the lawn...
That's pretty funny
JW381
7/12/2015 3:23pm Edited Date/Time 7/12/2015 3:24pm
IceMan446 wrote:
I know they are easy to ride when the slow guys roll the corners, get lined up for the jumps and roll it on and clear...

Hence the reason I said I prefer a 250 premix burner. Just commenting on how good the bikes are, nothing else.

I actually find my corner speed goes up, or at least stays the same, due to the tractable power of a 450. Makes it easy to be smooth and have a nice flow. To each their own.
jtiger12
7/12/2015 3:26pm
When you turkeys start getting older and have a multitude of injuries, you'll start gravitating over to the thumpers and 500s like us older guys. I love a 250 2 stroke, but it freaking kills my elbow and shoulders
7/12/2015 3:30pm
JW381 wrote:
Hence the reason I said I prefer a 250 premix burner. Just commenting on how good the bikes are, nothing else. I actually find my corner...
Hence the reason I said I prefer a 250 premix burner. Just commenting on how good the bikes are, nothing else.

I actually find my corner speed goes up, or at least stays the same, due to the tractable power of a 450. Makes it easy to be smooth and have a nice flow. To each their own.
Yeah, understood that from the get-go. Cool report, JW. I ride a smoker, but I love them all. It is good to hear about the 4ts. I had one when I first started back (2012), but switched back to what I know how to repair in my garage, but I understand the rush to the 4t.
jeffro503
7/12/2015 3:41pm
jtiger12 wrote:
When you turkeys start getting older and have a multitude of injuries, you'll start gravitating over to the thumpers and 500s like us older guys. I...
When you turkeys start getting older and have a multitude of injuries, you'll start gravitating over to the thumpers and 500s like us older guys. I love a 250 2 stroke, but it freaking kills my elbow and shoulders
Well I guess you could say I'm just the opposite. Smile

I raced the 2 strokes for many , many years up until 2002 when I jumped on my first 450. Been riding them ever since. I bought an RM250 way back in Sept and couldn't ride it much because I needed the suspension done badly. A month ago I finally got it done , and my Kawi 450 has been sitting there ever since.

3 things here....

1.) I find myself being able to get a lot more seat time on my 250 2 stroke than I could my 450. I'm usually putting in 7+ good hard rides on a practice day with my 250 2 stroke. The 450 , I very rarely ever got past 5 and my moto's were shorter. I was usually really spent after those 5 rides.

2.) I've come to the conclusion that all that extra weight and power of the 450 is what made me tire quicker. The first 8-10 mins , awesome fun for sure having that much power , but for longer moto's ( I speak for myself here ) the 450 would get sketchy for me , riding tired with some arm pump. The 250 doesn't seem to want to kill me when I get a little tired.

3.) Honestly it boiled down to me not being on 2 strokes for almost 15yrs , and then when I finally got to ride my RM , it was just really cool feeling. Brought back a lot of memories and certain skills that I needed to ride them. I'm re-learning all those right now and I suck on my 250 , but God damn I'm having fun re-learning it all again.

On a side note though , I love the 4 strokes too! I will sooner or later get myself a new 250F , but I haven't made up my mind on which one to get yet. Still waiting to get some reports on what these new 16's will be like first. I think I'm pretty much done with the 450's , or at least until I come to a point where I may take it a little more serious and actually get into good riding shape. I don't have time in my life to do that right now , so both the 4 and 2 stroke 250's are what I need to be on.
OR Racer46
Fantasy
876th
7/12/2015 4:07pm
Jeffro have you tried A new KTM 350 ? They like to be riden like a 2 stroke yet have the convenice of a 4 stroke. I sure am happy with mine .
pilotdude
7/12/2015 4:31pm Edited Date/Time 7/12/2015 4:31pm
I bought a low hour 2013 CRF 450 because I test rode one last fall and could immediately go faster on it then I could on my 06 CRF 450 that I had written for 7 years.
IceMan446
7/12/2015 4:33pm
JW381 wrote:
Hence the reason I said I prefer a 250 premix burner. Just commenting on how good the bikes are, nothing else. I actually find my corner...

Sorry didn't mean to sound like I was talking crap.

I just notice how much more the guys just roll it on and jump everything where as on a two stroke the setup starts two corners before.
JW381
7/12/2015 4:50pm
JW381 wrote:

IceMan446 wrote:
Sorry didn't mean to sound like I was talking crap. I just notice how much more the guys just roll it on and jump everything where...
Sorry didn't mean to sound like I was talking crap.

I just notice how much more the guys just roll it on and jump everything where as on a two stroke the setup starts two corners before.
For sure brotha I hear ya. I'm sure it's easy to fall into that mindset when you ride a 450 all the time.

I was still impressed and optimistic about riding for the rest of my days.
Tumblin
7/12/2015 4:59pm
JW381 wrote:

That's the major difference there, you don't shift so you pull through those long rutted corners and off that jump face in the same gear. Easy as pie, some claim boring and I'd agree, although I love play riding and practicing my smoker these smooth foopers are an excellent insurance assurance. That is if you don't go all ET or RV with them.
Live long and prosper my friend.
TeamGreen
7/12/2015 5:22pm
I'm still laughing over the "no skill or technique needed" implications. Wow, that's jus' funny.

I ride a 450 & a 350...thumpers.
I ride a 250 & a 500...smokers.
Guess what? They ALL require their own skill set.

I'm Manny.
I'm 52.
I ride.
I race.
Been doin it for 40 years (riding).
Been racing since 1980.
I'm pretty sure that the absolutely insane speeds that the 450s allow us to go...well...on a track like Glen Helen...it would seem to me that those skills that some of you seem to think aren't needed...well...

You're wrong.

As for Suoercross?

Thumpers have changed things a bit; but, let's not go getting carried away with goofy-assed keyboard-warrior statements.

I'm jus' sayin'...
The Rock
7/12/2015 6:47pm
bd wrote:
I would rather be revving a two stroke than lugging a four stroke around a MX track in 3rd gear.
The Rock
7/12/2015 6:52pm
jeffro503 wrote:
Well I guess you could say I'm just the opposite. :) I raced the 2 strokes for many , many years up until 2002 when I...
Well I guess you could say I'm just the opposite. Smile

I raced the 2 strokes for many , many years up until 2002 when I jumped on my first 450. Been riding them ever since. I bought an RM250 way back in Sept and couldn't ride it much because I needed the suspension done badly. A month ago I finally got it done , and my Kawi 450 has been sitting there ever since.

3 things here....

1.) I find myself being able to get a lot more seat time on my 250 2 stroke than I could my 450. I'm usually putting in 7+ good hard rides on a practice day with my 250 2 stroke. The 450 , I very rarely ever got past 5 and my moto's were shorter. I was usually really spent after those 5 rides.

2.) I've come to the conclusion that all that extra weight and power of the 450 is what made me tire quicker. The first 8-10 mins , awesome fun for sure having that much power , but for longer moto's ( I speak for myself here ) the 450 would get sketchy for me , riding tired with some arm pump. The 250 doesn't seem to want to kill me when I get a little tired.

3.) Honestly it boiled down to me not being on 2 strokes for almost 15yrs , and then when I finally got to ride my RM , it was just really cool feeling. Brought back a lot of memories and certain skills that I needed to ride them. I'm re-learning all those right now and I suck on my 250 , but God damn I'm having fun re-learning it all again.

On a side note though , I love the 4 strokes too! I will sooner or later get myself a new 250F , but I haven't made up my mind on which one to get yet. Still waiting to get some reports on what these new 16's will be like first. I think I'm pretty much done with the 450's , or at least until I come to a point where I may take it a little more serious and actually get into good riding shape. I don't have time in my life to do that right now , so both the 4 and 2 stroke 250's are what I need to be on.
I feel you on point number 2. I had a good run for 2.5 years before I left CA getting to race a bunch of different bikes thanks to MXA at REM. Had an absolute blast but my biggest surprise was the two times I raced 300cc two strokes.

Could not believe the weight difference which translated into ore flickability with less effort. My take away is four strokes especially those with e start are best for all around riding including woods and desert but for MX I'm a two stroke fan all the way. Part of the fun of MX is finding traction....I had a lot of practice over the years racing open bikes looking for traction.

Post a reply to: Damn these new bikes are good.

The Latest