Dallas coverage an insult to the sport

Edited Date/Time 1/26/2012 11:49am
Imagine my surprise when I sat down to watch my favorite sporting event (Supercross) to find it wasn't being showed, but instead I got a few "highlights" of heat 1, then sat and watched several minutes of James Stewart ordering mass amounts of cinn-a-stix at the Taco Bell drive thru (really Bubba, you eat that crap?)
Then it looked like some good racing in heat 2- only we didn't get to see that either. But got a nice tease for more Bubba drive thru action. This is a travesty and an insult to every moto fan. I don't give a crap what verbal hyjinx Bubba has for the Taco Bell worker who had no idea who he was. "See this camera-- CBS." I was embarassed.

I know Feld supposedly sells this as an informercial to CBS, or whatever.
Here's a message to the powers that be:
We live and breathe this sport just about every day of our lives. We follow the riders, points, and results. We obsess over a Twitter feed and live timing and scoring because we love this sport and we want to know what happened.
Quit jacking around and show the freaking race. Stop turning our sport into a damn infomercial.
|
MX4EVR
4/4/2011 6:54am
Its a reality show now, not a race. how sad
I want my heat races back!
4/4/2011 6:56am
Well, there was that one time I tuned into a football playoff game, and instead of showing the first quarter they had a feature on Brett Favre going to his local Hooters and chatting up the waitresses.
(Except that would never happen because it is treated like a sport and not a circus event.)
SMITH201
4/4/2011 7:00am
I dread the CBS coverage days. It just gets worse and worse. Before you know it there will just be rider interviews/profiles and then only highlights of the Main Dizzy

The Shop

Huge_Bulge
4/4/2011 7:04am
I thought it was pretty funny that the Taco Bell guy looked at james like he was a total douchebag and could careless about his "tradition".
jbomx363
4/4/2011 7:06am
Speed didn't do much better. 1 heat race and highlights of the other.

Motofans are a minority in this great TV package that is/was supposed to propel the sport to greatness. Angry
4/4/2011 7:08am
I agree.

Do they really think someone flipping thru the channels is gonna see Bubba gettin dissed by a Taco Bell worker and say "this looks exciting."? Or how about if the flipped the channel and saw bar to bar action? Which one are they more likely to tune into?
4/4/2011 7:15am
I don't know what they were going for with the Taco Bell thing- it wasn't funny, it wasn't hip, it wasn't interesting in any way.
OldTiddler
4/4/2011 7:22am
Have a look at TV ratings. The fact that "Jersey Shore" tops cable programming should tell you something.

Producers know that the inane is popular, especially among MX crowd, who show up in droves with neck tats and Mulisha gear.

I enjoyed the racing coverage.
pie8man
4/4/2011 7:28am
Save the reality style human interest stories for filler during the LIVE broadcasts. I liked the quick interviews with the title contenders but then it just went downhill. We want to see bikes on the track!!
pie8man
4/4/2011 7:30am
Why can't we see Windhams opening ceremony transfer every week?
wardy
4/4/2011 7:32am
I only get to see this and hear about it in here. They broadcast stupidcross at noon around here, and well it's 70 and nice out, why would i sit inside and waste that time watching it.

I know tivo blah blah blah.

But better yet we rode all day and came home to wash bikes and fall into bed tired as hell.

First thing i seen to remind me there was a race was Guy's crash sequence photos on FB. pretty cool by the way, (the photos not the crash).

no one cares who really rides about inside racing when it's nice outside. drop that series to about 12 races and be done with it in march.

then go outside longer for the purists. Smile
4/4/2011 7:32am
The hardcore race fan is in the minority, no matter how much you chIro about it on a message board. What is Feld supposed to do? Force CBS to show more racing?
txmxer
4/4/2011 7:34am
it was an episode of Bubba's World.
JLong
4/4/2011 7:35am
30 minute James infomercial of nothing. If this sport only has one hero it's F'ed. The SPEED piece on Wharton was good PR. What about the rest of the guys? Nothing interesting?
reded
4/4/2011 7:36am
If they wanna show that Taco Bell type crap then have a 30min pre-race gig like NASCAR and the NFL have. Personally, I just wanna see the racing and I'm pretty sure that most of the people who get off on Jersey Shore could give a shit about Supercross.
pie8man
4/4/2011 7:52am
I think it is sad that we see riders carted off on a mule and we get no coverage. Someone hire an intern and get these stories aired during the broadcast. TIcker across screen, teleprompted to Emig or Sheheen, whispered to Bates... Something!!!
crusher773
4/4/2011 7:58am
Yeah how about we put all the focus on the guy that got arrested last week and run promotion for him. I knew they were either going to be all over that deal or they wouldn't say 1 word because he is their golden boy so I guess we know how it went. How about a story on the guys that don't make MX look bad like Trey, Short, KDub, Dungey, Villopoto, Reed, Tedesco, Wey, Byrne basically everyone else in the class we are sick and tired of having James Stewart shoved in our faces all the time.
Ashleymx
4/4/2011 8:08am
I agree it was worse than usual. Uno if they just brought the darn webcast iback it wouldn't matter so much. Weedge and Holley didn't miss a thing!
VoR
4/4/2011 8:08am
I felt bad for James, sure he gets a 7 minute commercial for Mtn Dew and Taco Bell (that has to make RedBull happy Blink )

Then he yearns for the approval of a drive thru monkey trying to impress him with his copilot, a CBS camera.
mxdancer
4/4/2011 8:28am
crusher773 wrote:
Yeah how about we put all the focus on the guy that got arrested last week and run promotion for him. I knew they were either...
Yeah how about we put all the focus on the guy that got arrested last week and run promotion for him. I knew they were either going to be all over that deal or they wouldn't say 1 word because he is their golden boy so I guess we know how it went. How about a story on the guys that don't make MX look bad like Trey, Short, KDub, Dungey, Villopoto, Reed, Tedesco, Wey, Byrne basically everyone else in the class we are sick and tired of having James Stewart shoved in our faces all the time.
Obviously, I was plenty upset about the CBS coverage as well and I couldn't agree more, but I don't think you get it...when a rider (not mentioning any names) can no longer bring the crowd to their feet by winning races, they do what ever it takes to get exposure other ways (sort of the class clown mentality). James said it himself in one interview when he said he'll do whatever it takes to get fans to the stadium. Feld loves it. So, right now, they are promoting it BIG TIME. Unfortunately, these antics usually end up costing the rider one way or another and the promoter goes home with a bigger bank account.
Ryno784
4/4/2011 8:50am
I'm not usually one to complain too much about the coverage, but I was saying the same thing during this weeks races on CBS. Poor choice to cover Stewart after his recent run in, they could have changed that on the spot and followed someone else.

As for the coverage, it was pathetic. No heats, no LCQ (with Windham in it!) and just plain too much fluff for me. DON'T LET IT TURN INTO A CIRCUS....please.
toroP
4/4/2011 8:53am Edited Date/Time 4/4/2011 11:33am
Listen up recruits!
Feld does not care about you. Feld does not think about you.
You are a small group that will tune in no matter what. The show is not for you. You are a non-entity.
Feld does not care about racing. Feld does not think about racing.
Racing is an excuse for crashes, controversy and boobs.
They are not selling to you. You are a non-entity.

If you don't like these truths, use the message boards to organize a boycott of the CBS broadcasts.
rocrac
4/4/2011 8:56am
For the reasons stated above I tape the races and only watch the actual racing. Last night it took about 15-20 minutes to watch the whole damn thing.
4/4/2011 9:03am
toroP wrote:
Listen up recruits! Feld does not care about you. Feld does not think about you. You are a small group that will tune in no matter...
Listen up recruits!
You are a small group that will tune in no matter what. The show is not for you. You are a non-entity.

If you don't like these truths, use the message boards to organize a boycott of the CBS broadcasts.
To me, showing the event is basic. It's not like we're splitting hairs and asking for a lot.
It's dirt bike racing. Show the dirt bikes racing.
Showing Bubba jacking with a drive thru employee is not going to "grow the sport." I don't know which non-moto Nitwit at Feld has that idea. It's an insult to our intelligence to show Bubba clowning around instead of the racing, not to mention idiotic.
Snowboarding is full of colorful personalities. Guess what? When they show these events they show people competing.
Is showing Bubba munching down on Cinn-a-Stix some advanced marketing technique? It's totally absurd.
toroP
4/4/2011 9:07am
toroP wrote:
Listen up recruits! Feld does not care about you. Feld does not think about you. You are a small group that will tune in no matter...
Listen up recruits!

To me, showing the event is basic. It's not like we're splitting hairs and asking for a lot. It's dirt bike racing. Show the dirt bikes...
To me, showing the event is basic. It's not like we're splitting hairs and asking for a lot.
It's dirt bike racing. Show the dirt bikes racing.
Showing Bubba jacking with a drive thru employee is not going to "grow the sport." I don't know which non-moto Nitwit at Feld has that idea. It's an insult to our intelligence to show Bubba clowning around instead of the racing, not to mention idiotic.
Snowboarding is full of colorful personalities. Guess what? When they show these events they show people competing.
Is showing Bubba munching down on Cinn-a-Stix some advanced marketing technique? It's totally absurd.
To you it is absurd. Feld does not care what you think.

Unless you become a large group that refuses to watch their event.
peelout
4/4/2011 9:11am
worst broadcast of the year, no doubt about it, for sure, absolutely.

not only that but i'm tired of the sport fluffing stewart's balls. fucking get over it, there are 19 more interesting stories on the line and racing for position.
TerryK
4/4/2011 9:12am
While I normally defend the TV coverage because I understand the need for human interest stories, advertising, interviews ect, I regretfully have to agree this time. That was total shite.
Huge_Bulge
4/4/2011 9:18am
The coverage was total shit, I hope they learn from that mistake. The heats were some of the best racing, they should have showed them instead of more on the guy in 5th in the points chase. On another note, they need to bring supercross to Denver, I will probably travel to one more just to take my kids, a Cali round for sure so we dont get ripped off on the already demeaning opening ceremonies. At least have the freakin lasers & fire works in the dark. And what is the point of an announcer? I couldn't make out a damn thing being said. Attendance seemed pretty damn strong. I think Invesco field would easily sell 50k tickets. Shed the weak rounds and bring it to Denver in late April. Chances for a nice night of racing strong, perhaps a mudder here or there but who who cares?
toroP
4/4/2011 9:18am
peelout wrote:
worst broadcast of the year, no doubt about it, for sure, absolutely. not only that but i'm tired of the sport fluffing stewart's balls. fucking get...
worst broadcast of the year, no doubt about it, for sure, absolutely.

not only that but i'm tired of the sport fluffing stewart's balls. fucking get over it, there are 19 more interesting stories on the line and racing for position.
Feld does not care what you think. You will watch anyway.

Post a reply to: Dallas coverage an insult to the sport

The Latest