DV's take on James' setup at Atlanta

Faceaz
3/2/2011 9:23pm
IMO Stewart on the Suzuki would be an incredible combination. Suzuki's have the steepest head angle, stiff front & soft rear - it would still turn best of all of them. Ever since DeCoster & RC got together @ Suzuki, it looks to be the best bike out there. RC, Alessi, Reed all looked @ their best on it.
dlowe102
3/3/2011 7:24am
Maybe his wrist doesnt like it when his forks bottom so he is running it that way even more so
TriRacer27
Fantasy
44th
3/3/2011 7:29am
He was no better on the Kawi than on the Yamaha until he listened to RC and softened it up a bit.
Highsider
3/3/2011 7:44am
DV knows the current Yamaha.
I think he bought his own '10, correct? I 'll bet DV can scoot around fairly quick.

The Shop

devonb
3/3/2011 9:06am
Faceaz wrote:
IMO Stewart on the Suzuki would be an incredible combination. Suzuki's have the steepest head angle, stiff front & soft rear - it would still turn...
IMO Stewart on the Suzuki would be an incredible combination. Suzuki's have the steepest head angle, stiff front & soft rear - it would still turn best of all of them. Ever since DeCoster & RC got together @ Suzuki, it looks to be the best bike out there. RC, Alessi, Reed all looked @ their best on it.
I think the same thing.
ZC35
3/3/2011 10:06am
by no means am i as fast as stewart or any of those top guys but i have been on yamaha's for 5 years now and race A class and have found the best setup to be one that rides high in the stroke and has a lot of movement. It has to be stiff when you need it but if it is too stiff in the first third of the stroke then it deflects off bumps and makes it miserable to ride and causes both front and back to loose traction. stewarts suspension is the reason why he was launching that quad at A2 but it is also the reason why he makes so many mistakes.
Hank_Thrill
3/3/2011 10:15am
ZC35 wrote:
by no means am i as fast as stewart or any of those top guys but i have been on yamaha's for 5 years now and...
by no means am i as fast as stewart or any of those top guys but i have been on yamaha's for 5 years now and race A class and have found the best setup to be one that rides high in the stroke and has a lot of movement. It has to be stiff when you need it but if it is too stiff in the first third of the stroke then it deflects off bumps and makes it miserable to ride and causes both front and back to loose traction. stewarts suspension is the reason why he was launching that quad at A2 but it is also the reason why he makes so many mistakes.
About the quad, I was thinking the exact same thing! That quad had a very small and steep take off. If his front end was soft, it would have absorbed the face of the jump more, rather than aligning his bike with the same trajectory of the take off. His rear end seems very soft also. I guess to keep the back end low and the front end up higher, like what you are saying.
3/4/2011 12:40pm
SkidSteer wrote:
He needs to unlock his hips.......And STAT
Wow where ya been man, thankgod you came along to coach one of the fastest rider's in the world!! Tongue

yaya I know thats the all the rage...your just echoing Rhino, and it maybe is if you teach it to a 10 year old...but if you thing Bubba or any long time pro can change his technique, stat....no chance.

As for his set-up, what can you do? It not only helps him blow by people in the whoops like they are standing still, but it also helps him do those quad quad sections, in addition, his sick sick scrubs, softer forks would compress too much and he wouldn't stay as low. I would bet Canard runs a simalar set-up, he scrubs are so low, but he has corner issues on occasion

So...what can you do? take away all that, his advantage that he has had for his whole career, so he doesn't look so freakn squirly! He reminds me of another cat who was balls to the wall and buckwild, RC!!

I think its the standard set up for "lunatics"...the stoopid fast guys like RC, James, RV, and what apprears to be Canard as well., who all have corner issues this year!

maybe James could compriise 5% or so...only he knows, he is going so FAST that if his forks dipped even a bit too much he may find himself cart wheeling...it seems to me James holds the throttle wide open and rides above the track.

Anywoo...last thought, the biggest help/change James could make is get himself on a Zook or Honda that actually corners. If he actualy does own the team? he should look into it.

And by the way, remember the "pink" race, A-2?...we got too witness some of the greatest SX riing EVER! The Precision, absurd Speed and still smooth as silk, was EPIC!

Just some or lot of thoughts, I mean James has a ridculous win % if he doesn't crash, and its a Lot of wins...so he is extreme...extremely fast, and that requires an extreme set-up!
JMHO!

Post a reply to: DV's take on James' setup at Atlanta

The Latest