DV goes rogue

kongols
3/2/2015 12:15pm Edited Date/Time 3/4/2015 9:35am
|
huck
3/2/2015 12:20pm

I don't see Qatar as a 'European track', nor the typical 'GP track'. It was more of a glorified night track.
CR250Rider
3/2/2015 12:34pm Edited Date/Time 3/2/2015 12:34pm
That about sum it up.
I think DV is right on
kongols
3/2/2015 12:34pm
huck wrote:

I don't see Qatar as a 'European track', nor the typical 'GP track'. It was more of a glorified night track.
But it`s prepped and built by euros.
Here in Latvia you had to hand the key`s to Youthstream a week before the race and all of prep after that was done by YS crew.
Seamorbutts
3/2/2015 12:34pm Edited Date/Time 3/2/2015 12:37pm
I believe DV is 100% correct, I remember when Chad Reed rode RV's bike. He said that he didn't know how RV even rode that thing with the front being so high and the back so low. RV should Balance it out, soften it up, and tame it down. In my opinion, its the small chop thats different. That stuff hardens from the qualifying the day before.

The Shop

Uncle Tony
3/2/2015 12:45pm
That was a pretty good read
jamma10
3/2/2015 12:48pm
From the photos it might actually be a good idea if RV stuck to his US settings for Thailand and Argentina.

But when they reach Europe he will have the rock hard, gravelly surface of Arco di Trento to set up for first, before the loamy, choppy sand of Valkenswaard the following week. Then it's back to hardpack at Talevera in Spain, followed by Matterly Basin, a track which I think he will feel most at home.
MT MX
3/2/2015 12:49pm
He made some good points, especially the last one. What I don't understand though..........wasn't Tyla supposed to be doing all this testing for Ryan while Ryan was rehabbing?
nytsmaC
3/2/2015 12:55pm
Good read, he's not afraid to tell it like it is. He knows what he's talking about.

But I wonder if the euro tracks require such a different bike setup how did Team USA manage to dominate the MXdN for so many years in a row?
Grieby54
3/2/2015 12:58pm
nytsmaC wrote:
Good read, he's not afraid to tell it like it is. He knows what he's talking about. But I wonder if the euro tracks require such...
Good read, he's not afraid to tell it like it is. He knows what he's talking about.

But I wonder if the euro tracks require such a different bike setup how did Team USA manage to dominate the MXdN for so many years in a row?
Bingo.

I keep hearing the excuse of the bike not being right and it being a new series, blah blah blah. RV has done exceptionally well at the MXdNs on foreign soil. Why are any of these races any different?
kongols
3/2/2015 12:59pm Edited Date/Time 3/2/2015 1:01pm
nytsmaC wrote:
Good read, he's not afraid to tell it like it is. He knows what he's talking about. But I wonder if the euro tracks require such...

Lets look back last five years and see how many moto`s has USA won. They have best team. Nobody has a chance if you have three good riders. Well, maybe Belgium. And don`t give me Millvile. It doesn`t count.
You can even go back to 2008.
jamma10
3/2/2015 1:04pm Edited Date/Time 3/2/2015 1:14pm
nytsmaC wrote:

Grieby54 wrote:
Bingo. I keep hearing the excuse of the bike not being right and it being a new series, blah blah blah. RV has done exceptionally well...
Bingo.

I keep hearing the excuse of the bike not being right and it being a new series, blah blah blah. RV has done exceptionally well at the MXdNs on foreign soil. Why are any of these races any different?
Matterly Basin is basically as close to an AMA style track as the GP series gets. I've always thought it was similar to Highpoint or Hangtown.

Donington was a manmade track built primarily for the '07 GP and used as a last minute replacement for the '08 MXdN. It did get pretty rough but the dirt, mixed with a lot of woodchip, was quite forgiving.

Saint Jean d'Angely doesn't get particularly rough. It's hard pack and doesn't really rut up that badly. Quite a few of the top MXGP riders were absent that year too.
RY4N37
3/2/2015 1:05pm
So, I got flamed for suggesting that he would be better off testing in Europe instead of America, flamed again for saying that it would benefit him to do some warm up races, and got told time and time again that I had no idea what I was talking about. Turns out I wasn't far off the mark after all
IWreckALot
3/2/2015 1:06pm
MT MX wrote:
He made some good points, especially the last one. What I don't understand though..........wasn't Tyla supposed to be doing all this testing for Ryan while Ryan...
He made some good points, especially the last one. What I don't understand though..........wasn't Tyla supposed to be doing all this testing for Ryan while Ryan was rehabbing?
In the case of RV, I don't understand that concept. If RV's preferred setup is so far off from everyone else's setup, how would Tyla input be relevant to RV's setup?
TriRacer27
Fantasy
42nd
3/2/2015 1:07pm
Sometimes I really miss the days when US motocross tracks weren't just different layouts of the same track. I wish we had some legitimate sand tracks along with some true hard packed choppy stuff. It would make us better riders overall.

Instead, if the track isn't perfectly prepped and groomed everyone complains.
nytsmaC
3/2/2015 1:08pm
RY4N37 wrote:
So, I got flamed for suggesting that he would be better off testing in Europe instead of America, flamed again for saying that it would benefit...
So, I got flamed for suggesting that he would be better off testing in Europe instead of America, flamed again for saying that it would benefit him to do some warm up races, and got told time and time again that I had no idea what I was talking about. Turns out I wasn't far off the mark after all
If DV had your delivery/demeanor/lack of credibility he wouldn't be well received either.
crusty_xx
Fantasy
207th
3/2/2015 1:09pm
nytsmaC wrote:

that's what I thought too and I thought he was gonna go out and have zero problems adapting to the tracks because he never seemed to struggle at mxdn races, no matter if 250 or 450.
But I've seen Dungey live in Teutschenthal and his bike was acting weird as well. I cant see stuff like that as good as DV and I'm sure it wasnt as bad as RVs bike last weekend but it didnt act as good as his competitors from what I saw (Tomac and Barcias Hondas looked better).

We will see how Thailand goes (new track, no team will have a perfectly worked out setup for that track) and then he has 2 full weeks off, they will get things figured out then pretty sure.
AC didnt go 1-1, he's only 13 points ahead now. It's gonna be good!
RY4N37
3/2/2015 1:13pm
RY4N37 wrote:
So, I got flamed for suggesting that he would be better off testing in Europe instead of America, flamed again for saying that it would benefit...
nytsmaC wrote:
If DV had your delivery/demeanor/lack of credibility he wouldn't be well received either.
Probably. But I didn't put it as bluntly as DV has. Admittedly I have nowhere near the credibility he has. But that doesn't mean I don't know anything
mxmasta
Fantasy
651st
3/2/2015 1:19pm
RY4N37 wrote:
nytsmaC wrote:
RY4N37 wrote:
Probably. But I didn't put it as bluntly as DV has. Admittedly I have nowhere near the credibility he has. But that doesn't mean I don't...
Probably. But I didn't put it as bluntly as DV has. Admittedly I have nowhere near the credibility he has. But that doesn't mean I don't know anything
If you didn't win any Major championships just never ever critisize anything a American does or doesn't on an american forum, even if it holds some truth. You will be labeled a USA hater and get flamed to death. Wink
bd
3/2/2015 1:19pm
Enjoy reading DV's insight. I consider Motocross and Supercross two different sports. Could MXGP and USMX be that different? Blown away by it.

I believe in 2003 or 2004 the AMA Racing started grooming tracks. RC called MX highways and he lost a tad of his advantage. Wonder if DC and crew have really put our riders at a disadvantage via MXDN and MXGP due to USMX track prep.
mjskier
3/2/2015 1:24pm
I believe DV is 100% correct, I remember when Chad Reed rode RV's bike. He said that he didn't know how RV even rode that thing...
I believe DV is 100% correct, I remember when Chad Reed rode RV's bike. He said that he didn't know how RV even rode that thing with the front being so high and the back so low. RV should Balance it out, soften it up, and tame it down. In my opinion, its the small chop thats different. That stuff hardens from the qualifying the day before.
DV doesn't like RV's or JS7's setup.
But at the end of the day, how many titles do the 2 of them have? I would think they have a pretty good idea how they like a bike to behave.

bd
3/2/2015 1:28pm
I believe DV is 100% correct, I remember when Chad Reed rode RV's bike. He said that he didn't know how RV even rode that thing...
mjskier wrote:
DV doesn't like RV's or JS7's setup. But at the end of the day, how many titles do the 2 of them have? I would think...
DV doesn't like RV's or JS7's setup.
But at the end of the day, how many titles do the 2 of them have? I would think they have a pretty good idea how they like a bike to behave.

I do not see RV searching for radical change (panic) - but I do see adjustment by round 2
mxmasta
Fantasy
651st
3/2/2015 1:33pm
bd wrote:
I do not see RV searching for radical change (panic) - but I do see adjustment by round 2
It will be really interesting what exactly RV will change in the upcoming races, and if we fans get to know what it is.

Can he really change his bike completely like DV is suggesting and be comfortable from the get go? I mean he is used to his settings since, well, forever. Can he adapt to the GP settings so quickly? I really hope so!!
slipdog
3/2/2015 1:34pm
nytsmaC wrote:

We evolved ahead of the Euros in the '80's because of the proliferation of SX. When they finally stopped banning double jumps and began build technical tracks they started to catch up in the '90's.

By y2k, the Euros were catching up to our fast paced sprinting and learning to whip and scrub, all the while we made SX more and more important. The SX series got longer and we did less and less motocross, while they perfected their motocross technique and raced all year. It should be no surprise to any one that they have caught up to us, just like all the new kids can whip and scrub just like Bubba.

Evolution never stops, get busy living or get busy dying!
philG
3/2/2015 1:36pm
Its funny that when i said most of that , i was told i was talking bollocks.... 'RV knows what he is doing' ...

At the Nations, the track doesnt get as hammered as a GP.. and as has been said before , the fact that the US has such a huge advantage with rider numbers always helps... US riders always come to the nations as 3 factory riders.. in 2011 at St Jean, the third Belgian rider was a postman... Italy doesnt have a strong MX 2 rider, the dutch have Herlings and DeReuver, but struggle for a third rider, the Germans had Roczen Nagl and Schiffer who wasnt even a GP rider , and they won... its just about who is fit , and who gets starts and is lucky.. you could say that luck ran out for the US the last 3 years, but i just think other people didnt have bad luck, Germany were worthy winners in Lommel, Belgium at Teuchenthal, and the French in Latvia.. its the same every year, anyone can win , but they can just as easy not win.

You also have the fact that not all the fast riders are in the same race, and a few more good riders just dont get picked , and the age rule for MX2 always fucked people over where they had to leave 3 good riders on the sidelines and pick a kid instead.. i think at St Jean , Tommy Searle was aged out of the MX2 nations spot because he was too old , even though he finished runner up to Herlings.... i will go as far as saying that if that rule still stood , (i think it was under 20 one year) i dont think a euro team would ever won again, simply because having young guys on factory bikes at that age is limited.

The whole MXGP field has 3 factory KTM's 3 Huskies, 2 Honda,s 2 Yamaha's, 2 Kawasaki's , and 2 (usually but 3 this year) suzuki's , and that is to go round the whole of europe.

The tracks are just prepped differently, and they all have different dirt, and the bumps just come out with more kickers than rollers... is noticable that Dungey was blamed for poor set up in Teuschental by Decoster, and the bike looked just like DV said about RV, low in the the rear , and kicked out at the front.

That said , Ernee in France this year is a bit wierd, quite narrow , and a lot of man made stuff, its a typical French track , but i dont see it being an issue .. it will be a great race as always.
peelout
3/2/2015 1:39pm
RY4N37 wrote:
while i thought you were an idiot at the time, i have been eating crow for a few days now.

i will concede and say that he indeed should have done a couple pre-season test races... he looked out of sorts from the gate-drop... weird indeed.

also, that track was a fucking turd, and i don't even want to see anyone try to compare that steaming pile to the Utah National track. props to those euro's for hauling that much ass on such a shit-hole track
Sandberm
3/2/2015 1:40pm
TriRacer27 wrote:
Sometimes I really miss the days when US motocross tracks weren't just different layouts of the same track. I wish we had some legitimate sand tracks...
Sometimes I really miss the days when US motocross tracks weren't just different layouts of the same track. I wish we had some legitimate sand tracks along with some true hard packed choppy stuff. It would make us better riders overall.

Instead, if the track isn't perfectly prepped and groomed everyone complains.
Yep, I agree 100%. Washougal is as close as we get to hardpack and we dont even have Southwick, so Millville is our pretend sand track.
gt80rider
3/2/2015 1:52pm Edited Date/Time 3/2/2015 1:52pm
Yet again great stuff from Le Cobra.
rosebud441
3/2/2015 1:55pm
Well, i just learned a few things about bike setup... Thanks DV!!

YZ125H1
3/2/2015 2:00pm Edited Date/Time 3/2/2015 2:03pm
Was it not too long ago that "the man" was telling RC4 that he needed to change his bike setup from the unorthodox one he was running?

Post a reply to: DV goes rogue

The Latest