DV On Riding Technique

bd
Edited Date/Time 6/16/2015 6:40pm
Enjoy listening to DV analyze pro riding technique. He gave AC50 a tip and criticized Barcia’s technique --- revving his 450F. He stated he needed to ride a gear higher and his bike’s chassis would act radically different. When riding with a motocross coach, he pushed me to shift a gear higher entering the whoops (I would almost hear a bog out of the turn - YZ 125). My speed and control in the whoops improved dramatically -- bike's was not contracted. The best way for a beginner to test this ---find a downhill and keep it in second (watch your bike tighten up). Next, shift to third or fourth watch your chassis track better.

Listen here around 01:30:00 for Barcia analysis.

http://pulpmxshow.com/sites/pulpmxshow.com/files/podcasts/150608_pulpmx…

PulpMX.... maybe a DV riding tips weekly or monthly post on http://pulpmx.com/

Love learning and studying the latest technique.
|
Osaka627
6/15/2015 4:56pm
There's two edges to that sword.

JS KR both ride their bikes in the meat of the power and use the bottom end while short shifting. In return the the suspension of the doesn't suck up into the shock giving you more travel and grip.

JB does the exact opposite, and it's how I order to ride myself. Doing it on a 450F is not the correct way to ride one. JB has been riding this way his entire life so it will be a radical change if he does. When you ride the bike a gear low like he does... In his mind he has more control. Why? Because the shock is sucked half way into the swing farm and the bike is revved out on the top end. It won't go any faster and the shock isn't going to do anything that's not predictable. He also is so high in the RPM range his wheel is essentially spinning on top of the dirt allowing him to turn the motorcycle with simple suggestions such as twisting his hip, head, or leaning. People who ride like this... Usually make for awesome 125/250F riders but struggle on the 450F
FIREfish148
6/15/2015 5:13pm
Didn't dv say it's completely ok to ride with your elbows down? Blink
bd
6/15/2015 5:17pm
Yes. He said that. He is speaking of exiting a corner and hammering the throttle not keeping your elbows down through the whole track. If I am wrong DV, please correct me.

brimx153
6/15/2015 5:24pm
RV has his whole career . worked for him

The Shop

Crush
6/15/2015 5:57pm
brimx153 wrote:
RC too!
MotoMo165
6/15/2015 5:59pm
DV's tips are awesome and I love hearing him critique riders. I don't think this is the 1st time someone has mentioned shifting to a higher gear for better suspension and control on the show. I believe DV said elbows being down is okay. That was more of a 80's thing.. He also said tomac is the exception of that. He used Dungey as an example from A1. His levers were too low causing his elbows to be too high not allowing him to corner to the best of his ability.

I agree, a weekly tip from DV would be awesome haha
machine
6/15/2015 6:02pm
What's cool is AC listened to him about dragging his front brake through the corners and he said he was right. Shows a lot of character by AC, for not taking offense to what he as saying to him. His delivery could use a little polishing though..lol
6/15/2015 7:42pm
MotoMo165 wrote:
DV's tips are awesome and I love hearing him critique riders. I don't think this is the 1st time someone has mentioned shifting to a higher...
DV's tips are awesome and I love hearing him critique riders. I don't think this is the 1st time someone has mentioned shifting to a higher gear for better suspension and control on the show. I believe DV said elbows being down is okay. That was more of a 80's thing.. He also said tomac is the exception of that. He used Dungey as an example from A1. His levers were too low causing his elbows to be too high not allowing him to corner to the best of his ability.

I agree, a weekly tip from DV would be awesome haha
No, pretty sure he said Tomac was an exception for being able to ride feet-on-pegs all the time. No sitting down. Because that is the other 80s/90s "no-no" that is OK now that bikes can rip your arms and feet off. Elbows and ass down: unless you're Tomac, then you can keep your feet on the pegs because you're Super Gnarly.

His point was, you're a vet b/c rider, just hang on because it isn't the 80s anymore and you've got a 450 underneath you, plus you aren't Tomac.

I really enjoy listening to DV too. You can love him or hate him but you won't be bored either way. He's great. Long live Le Cobra!
MotoMo165
6/15/2015 9:04pm
Oh yeah. Your right, I remember hearing that now haha
6/15/2015 9:10pm
I remember Andrew short saying the most stress that's put on the motor during an SX race is through the whoops since they lug it out of the turn in a high gear.
kiwifan
6/15/2015 10:14pm
I think DV gives great advice, I don't agree with everything he says but in general he is usually right on the money (whether I like it or not lol)
Crush
6/15/2015 10:43pm
I remember Andrew short saying the most stress that's put on the motor during an SX race is through the whoops since they lug it out...
I remember Andrew short saying the most stress that's put on the motor during an SX race is through the whoops since they lug it out of the turn in a high gear.
You sure it's not the massive rev bounce to huge load being put through it each time the wheel hits the whoop?
The Rock
6/15/2015 11:52pm Edited Date/Time 6/15/2015 11:53pm
Osaka627 wrote:
There's two edges to that sword. JS KR both ride their bikes in the meat of the power and use the bottom end while short shifting...

JS KR both ride their bikes in the meat of the power and use the bottom end while short shifting. In return the the suspension of the doesn't suck up into the shock giving you more travel and grip.

JB does the exact opposite, and it's how I order to ride myself. Doing it on a 450F is not the correct way to ride one. JB has been riding this way his entire life so it will be a radical change if he does. When you ride the bike a gear low like he does... In his mind he has more control. Why? Because the shock is sucked half way into the swing farm and the bike is revved out on the top end. It won't go any faster and the shock isn't going to do anything that's not predictable. He also is so high in the RPM range his wheel is essentially spinning on top of the dirt allowing him to turn the motorcycle with simple suggestions such as twisting his hip, head, or leaning. People who ride like this... Usually make for awesome 125/250F riders but struggle on the 450F
Because the shock is sucked half way into the swingarm and the bike is revved out on the top end.

In 1988 Horst Leitner himself welded up a custom AMP Chain Torque Eliminator on my 88 CR500 with Scott's Steering Stabilizer Pro Taper PC modded motor pipe and suspension plus a flywheel weight. The back end of the bike would not squat due to the AMP device taking the torque load off of the shock and the shock definitely worked better.. I always got good starts and improved traction was an additional benefit of the AMP device.

Back on the Bam Bam subject when Barcia won Southwick on a 450 factory Honda did he ride that like a 250 as well?
Trav138
6/16/2015 12:00am
i don't pretend to know whats right or wrong with Barcia's riding technique, but what is up with him casing jumps all the time. I mean all the time. it started in that overseas SX race where Tomac bounced on his head. Then continued through SX and definetely into Mx this year. it cost him at High Point when he cased hard and crashed.
Now this isn't just a few times here and there. He routinely cases jumps and its costing him time and positions. Also its not just the big leaps but on smaller stuff also.
Now what DV is saying about Justins technique, also leading to this? Has anyone else noticed this?
Jimfunn
6/16/2015 2:03am
Trav138 wrote:
i don't pretend to know whats right or wrong with Barcia's riding technique, but what is up with him casing jumps all the time. I mean...
i don't pretend to know whats right or wrong with Barcia's riding technique, but what is up with him casing jumps all the time. I mean all the time. it started in that overseas SX race where Tomac bounced on his head. Then continued through SX and definetely into Mx this year. it cost him at High Point when he cased hard and crashed.
Now this isn't just a few times here and there. He routinely cases jumps and its costing him time and positions. Also its not just the big leaps but on smaller stuff also.
Now what DV is saying about Justins technique, also leading to this? Has anyone else noticed this?
eye sight and judging distances? Just a theory, I think he's just lost a bit of confidence..
FIREfish148
6/16/2015 3:04am
brimx153 wrote:
Everts didn't.
luke99
6/16/2015 5:05am
I love DV too but he blocked on Twitter cuz I made a shit joke about him Sad
KlootZak
6/16/2015 5:19am
luke99 wrote:
I love DV too but he blocked on Twitter cuz I made a shit joke about him Sad
what did you say?
Crush
6/16/2015 6:47am
You guys notice how this week AC wasn't opposing his neck so much, ala Tedesco... Something DV brought up when they were both on Pulp the other week. He looks much cleaner in the corners...
Gringoe
6/16/2015 7:56am
machine wrote:
What's cool is AC listened to him about dragging his front brake through the corners and he said he was right. Shows a lot of character...
What's cool is AC listened to him about dragging his front brake through the corners and he said he was right. Shows a lot of character by AC, for not taking offense to what he as saying to him. His delivery could use a little polishing though..lol
I mean he's heard it his whole life since he was on 65s. It's something he's always struggled with a little bit (not leaning with the bike into ruts) and it's a part of his style a la tedesco. When he rides his best he doesn't do it as much, when he is pushing the issue it starts to happen more. Same with Barcia and riding a gear low, bad habits come to fruition under stress.

Its not like dv is speaking something unheard of when he talks about riding technique. A lot of the things he says I feel anyone could notice if they pay attention and knew a little bit about how a dirtbike works.

That being said dv is the fucking man for breaking it down for the masses.
brimx153
6/16/2015 5:00pm
brimx153 wrote:
Everts didn't.
everts never sat down . that worked for him ,but there has nt been anyone to ride the same as him since . k roc ,and tomac are the nearest not taking there feet off the peg s as much , but no where near as much as everts
bd
6/16/2015 5:29pm Edited Date/Time 6/17/2015 12:01pm
Speaking of Tomac. Here is Tomac at Hangtown after the FLY launch. He was railing this rutted berm... In standing attack position.

https://instagram.com/p/2z19EDjyZr/
IWreckALot
6/16/2015 6:06pm Edited Date/Time 6/16/2015 6:06pm
Osaka627 wrote:
There's two edges to that sword. JS KR both ride their bikes in the meat of the power and use the bottom end while short shifting...

The Rock wrote:
[i] Because the shock is sucked half way into the swingarm and the bike is revved out on the top end.[/i] In 1988 Horst Leitner himself...
Because the shock is sucked half way into the swingarm and the bike is revved out on the top end.

In 1988 Horst Leitner himself welded up a custom AMP Chain Torque Eliminator on my 88 CR500 with Scott's Steering Stabilizer Pro Taper PC modded motor pipe and suspension plus a flywheel weight. The back end of the bike would not squat due to the AMP device taking the torque load off of the shock and the shock definitely worked better.. I always got good starts and improved traction was an additional benefit of the AMP device.

Back on the Bam Bam subject when Barcia won Southwick on a 450 factory Honda did he ride that like a 250 as well?
Are you trying to make the point that barcia's problem isn't his riding style? Because one race that is night and day different from all of the other tracks isn't a good example. Barcia's style might win him a race here and there but it's not a sustainable style for the whole season.

And as for barcia casing jumps, it could be that he needs more speed to clear them, but he's already on the rev limiter and can't pick up the extra acceleration he needs.
FIREfish148
6/16/2015 6:40pm
brimx153 wrote:
Everts didn't.
brimx153 wrote:
everts never sat down . that worked for him ,but there has nt been anyone to ride the same as him since . k roc ,and...
everts never sat down . that worked for him ,but there has nt been anyone to ride the same as him since . k roc ,and tomac are the nearest not taking there feet off the peg s as much , but no where near as much as everts
Everts never sat down... Except for the one shot that you got of him in your avatar. In which case his elbows are clearly up. The irony.

Post a reply to: DV On Riding Technique

The Latest