Cycra PowerFlow YZ-F Shrouds

cwtoyota
Edited Date/Time 5/31/2016 8:39pm
Do these Cycra PowerFlow shrouds for the 2014 - 2016 YZ450F make air-filter maintenance a problem?

Can you remove the airbox cover alone, or do you have to remove the shrouds in order to change the air-filter?
Is it still easy to clean up the airbox and grease the sealing surface with this kit installed?

I'm considering switching to these single piece shrouds, but I don't want to make filter maintenance a pain in the butt.
|
cwtoyota
8/21/2015 11:06am
Thanks for the link. Everything else I found was either just photos of bikes with these installed or only talked about how it looked/felt with no mention of filter access.

Wish I could see a photo with that cover off. Do you happen to have one?

How well are your Cycra plastics holding up?

I think If I get these I'll switch that front 8mm bolt to the same size socket head as the side bolts. That way I can change the filter with one T-Handle.

DoctorJD
8/21/2015 11:27am
I put them on my son's 15 YZF250. I wasn't impressed. Be aware that you'll need some extra parts from Yamaha unless you want to try to re-use the 1/4 turns from the existing shrouds. The Cycra shrouds come with the flat-head allen screws, but no way to attach them to the airbox. As far as getting the cover on/off, it's really not that big of a hassle. Refer to this thread I posted in "Race Shop":

http://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Race-Shop,42/Has-anyone-installed-the-Cyc…
8/21/2015 11:45am
before

after

Love the Powerflow kit. Does feel slimmer. IMO stock YZF intake air scoops are fugly. They hold up good.
Nice feature is also hiding the gas vent hose.

One 8mm bolt & 2 Allen bolts and it is off.

The Shop

cwtoyota
8/21/2015 12:13pm
DoctorJD wrote:
I put them on my son's 15 YZF250. I wasn't impressed. Be aware that you'll need some extra parts from Yamaha unless you want to try...
I put them on my son's 15 YZF250. I wasn't impressed. Be aware that you'll need some extra parts from Yamaha unless you want to try to re-use the 1/4 turns from the existing shrouds. The Cycra shrouds come with the flat-head allen screws, but no way to attach them to the airbox. As far as getting the cover on/off, it's really not that big of a hassle. Refer to this thread I posted in "Race Shop":

Thanks for the info. I have a 2014, so all three locations are threaded with those 6mm metric inserts.
I personally don't like the DZUS type fasteners on a bike anyway.

Benchracer17, Thanks for the pics! I think I'll end up getting this kit.

tek14
8/21/2015 1:05pm
I have same setup, middle original screw and side using normal screws.
I did even dremel red-airscoops little to make knee area even more narrow.
Yamalube team even cut away some material from frame under mounting places (shoulder/radiators)
but i didnt go that far. I think cycra kit is best mod for YZFs. I have also no toil - high flow kit
that removes metal mesh from airbox and cost only 45 dollars.
Zycki11
8/21/2015 1:16pm
Can you feel a difference with the way the bike runs? I have thought about getting them but I already am happy with the TI Fmf exhaust and a remap for it.
DoctorJD
8/21/2015 1:26pm
cwtoyota wrote:
Thanks for the info. I have a 2014, so all three locations are threaded with those 6mm metric inserts. I personally don't like the DZUS type...
Thanks for the info. I have a 2014, so all three locations are threaded with those 6mm metric inserts.
I personally don't like the DZUS type fasteners on a bike anyway.

Benchracer17, Thanks for the pics! I think I'll end up getting this kit.

Yep, you'll need three of the inserts.

tek14
8/21/2015 1:55pm
Zycki11 wrote:
Can you feel a difference with the way the bike runs? I have thought about getting them but I already am happy with the TI Fmf...
Can you feel a difference with the way the bike runs? I have thought about getting them but I already am happy with the TI Fmf exhaust and a remap for it.
I have mapping, fmf, highflow kit and head mods done. Even i can feel difference. If you want more than that get camps and Get ecu.
Zycki11
8/21/2015 2:22pm
Nah, bike is fine and don't want to mess with internals. Thanks for the info
dedmike
5/31/2016 10:22am
I am switching to the cycra set up on the 2015 yz250f I just bought. Please more info on the "inserts" for fitment. I need to get everything ordered this week as I am leaving for Ca next week and be gone for a month need to have everything ready to go.

Thanks.
5/31/2016 10:40am
dedmike wrote:
I am switching to the cycra set up on the 2015 yz250f I just bought. Please more info on the "inserts" for fitment. I need to...
I am switching to the cycra set up on the 2015 yz250f I just bought. Please more info on the "inserts" for fitment. I need to get everything ordered this week as I am leaving for Ca next week and be gone for a month need to have everything ready to go.

Thanks.
I bought a complete Powerflow plastics kit. Everything needed was in the box. You have to switch the aluminum inserts from the OEM holes though, but you don't have anything else to buy.
bsharkey
5/31/2016 3:59pm Edited Date/Time 5/31/2016 4:01pm
we put them on our yz250f. I like that its a lot slimmer but didn't notice any hp improvement. honestly I didn't even notice what the fm pipe did ether. maybe the stock pipe is just that good buts its the loudest pipe ive ever heard. the factory connection rear link we bought was the best bang for the buck though if your looking to improve your bike. makes those bikes corner night and day better
IceMan446
5/31/2016 4:34pm
DoctorJD wrote:
I put them on my son's 15 YZF250. I wasn't impressed. Be aware that you'll need some extra parts from Yamaha unless you want to try...

I just installed mine and it came with everything I needed.

Fit is good and they were super easy to install.

I would call them and ask for the missing parts if your kit didnt come with everything needed.
factory99
5/31/2016 5:09pm
Flame suit on but other than making the bike slightly slimmer, it's garbage. The fit and finish is almost embarrassing. The hole/slot size where the metal grommets go are either too small without using a c clamp to install or they are so loose that the grommets fall out without bolts keeping them in place. Sink marks to the point where you can see the bracing on the back side once the plastic is installed. Flashing on all the edges and enough mold release to cause nothing to ever stick to it even rubbing down with thinner. Don't forget air filters need changed after a 15 min moto with the redesigned shrouds.

Cycra quality is definitely not what it was when they were still manufacturing in Ohio. For the price they charge, forget the ballpark they aren't even in the same country as oem quality. I voiced my concerns to them and was told management would be in touch but that never happened. Sorry Cycra but you lost a long time customer. I've had 2 sets for this bike in 2 colors in under a year and the result was identical. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice never again.
wm741
5/31/2016 8:21pm
I've ran them on my 14 450 for well over a year now with zero issues with fit or a single issue with them holding up. I just put them in a buddies 2016 and it came with every part needed to complete the install and fit perfectly as well. I recommend them 100%. It will be louder than stock though
IceMan446
5/31/2016 8:39pm
tek14 wrote:
I have mapping, fmf, highflow kit and head mods done. Even i can feel difference. If you want more than that get camps and Get ecu.
Stock ECU, just remapped?

I have the power flow kit from no toil and the cycra kit along with the FMF system.

Not sure which mapping to run.

Post a reply to: Cycra PowerFlow YZ-F Shrouds

The Latest