lando356
Edited Date/Time 6/30/2014 6:24am

|
oldAFI
6/25/2014 3:46pm
LOL I love that show!

...but reminded me of this:

How Spanking Harms the Brain

Spanking erodes developmental growth in children and decreases a child's IQ, a recent Canadian study shows.
This analysis, conducted at the Children's Hospital of Eastern Ontario in Ottawa, offers new evidence that corporal punishment causes cognitive impairment and long-term developmental difficulties.

Debates around physical punishment typically revolve around the ethics of using violence to enforce discipline. This inquiry synthesized 20 years of published research on the topic and aims to "shift the ethical debate over corporal punishment into the medical sphere," says Joan Durant, a professor at University of Manitoba and one of the authors of the study.

According to the report, spanking may reduce the brain's grey matter, the connective tissue between brain cells. Grey matter is an integral part of the central nervous system and influences intelligence testing and learning abilities. It includes areas of the brain involved in sensory perception, speech, muscular control, emotions and memory. Additional research supports the hypothesis that children and adolescents subjected to child abuse and neglect have less grey matter than children who have not been ill-treated.

Medical professionals investigating the long-term effects of spanking have consistently found a link between corporal punishment and increased aggression in children. Such "educational" discipline correlates to higher levels of acting out in school and trouble in academic performance. It predicts vulnerability to depression, typically in girls, and antisocial tendencies usually manifest in boys.

Boys are spanked more than girls. Physical punishment most frequently occurs at the toddler or preschooler age. Parents of lower income and with less formal education spank more often. Religious conservatives tend to favor corporeal punishment, though not always the case. The King James version of the bible, Proverbs: 13:24, expresses the sentiment "spare the rod and spoil the child" in antiquated language: He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes.

Spanking gets quick results, but it doesn't reduce the undesired behavior. In addition to detrimental physiological effects, it may also inflict lasting emotional damage that inhibits the learning process. Physical punishment undermines trust between parent and child and breeds hostility toward authority figures. Being hit may subsequently hinder social relations in the classroom where there is a power differential between teacher and child. It is any wonder when hitting sends the signal to a child that learning occurs through punishment? This form of discipline pretends to be educational, but is actually a way for parents to vent their own anger. Spanking involves the learned misrecognition of injury as education. Figures of cultural authority, such as parents and teachers, may be construed as purveyors of sadism rather than knowledge. Corporal punishment undermines compassion for others, for oneself, and limits the mutual capacity for gaining insight.
In 1979, Sweden became the first country to outlaw the physical punishment of children. Since then, more that 30 other countries have banned corporal punishment at home and in schools. Yet it remains legal for a parent to spank their child in the United States. Part of the difficulty in changing the cultural attitude that corporal punishment is an effective means of discipline is that many view prohibiting spanking as limiting the rights of parents. Here, the underlying assumption is that children remain the property of adults and should serve their parents' egos.

In the United States, spanking has declined since the civil rights movements of the 1960s. Most parents who use physical punishment today express regret for it and scant belief that it improves a child's behavior. More effective means of teaching discipline are: giving time-outs, choices and non-violent consequences for misbehavior. These include logical consequences ("if you do not pick up your toys, they will not be available tomorrow") and natural consequences ("if you do not put on your coat, you will be cold").

Parents who administer corporal punishment were often on the receiving end of it themselves. In other words, the cause of this form of "educational" violence are often hidden in the repressed history of the parents. When adults do not understand the connections between their previous experiences of injury and those they actively repeat in the present, they perpetuate a destructive cycle and inflict their own suffering on their offspring. The next generation continues to carry the damage that has been stored up in the mind and body of their ancestor. Conversely, parents can also work to become consciously aware of their own childhood pain and recognize how they transmit historical violence to their children by hitting.

The effective teaching of discipline may have the potential to lessen the overall levels of violence in our society. In other words, corporal punishment, of which spanking is a relatively minor form, can have larger social implications. Some studies suggest a connection between the physical punishment of children and the behavior involved in some criminal assaults.
The American Academy of Pediatrics and The American Psychological Association oppose striking a child or adolescent for any reason. Regarding how a parent can best handle an incident of spanking in the moment of regret after it has occurred, The American Academy of Pediatrics advises:

Parents should explain calmly why they did it, the specific behavior that provoked it, and how angry they felt. They also might apologize to their child for their loss of control. This usually helps the youngster to understand and accept the spanking, and it models for the child how to remediate a wrong

Mr. Ted
Fantasy
1623rd
6/25/2014 3:52pm
On a serious note, meditation has been shown to help...
vet323
6/25/2014 3:58pm
I can definitely see how spanking a liberal child like oldAFI could hamper development of their brain.
al8
6/25/2014 4:36pm
It took my dad about 30 seconds to cure me of ADHD. Cured my son of it pretty quick also.
I own a pretty good business and my son starts college this fall on a full scholarship so our cure seams to work. Lol

The Shop

Flatliner
6/25/2014 5:02pm
A family member of mine has diagnosed ADHD, aspergers, Tourette's and add, medication for him does almost nothing, he gets the sides without the benefits. He's 14 and has to live in a home , his outbursts can be violent and unpredictable, and my uncle is worried about something happening if he's not home.

He's tried all sorts of meds, consulting with some American doctors now as well.
APLMAN99
6/25/2014 7:40pm
al8 wrote:
It took my dad about 30 seconds to cure me of ADHD. Cured my son of it pretty quick also. I own a pretty good business...
It took my dad about 30 seconds to cure me of ADHD. Cured my son of it pretty quick also.
I own a pretty good business and my son starts college this fall on a full scholarship so our cure seams to work. Lol
Then it wasn't ADHD.

You could beat a true sufferer of ADHD all day long, and all it is going to do is make you feel like a tough guy and most probably breed a psychopath of a kid.
Tradmark
6/25/2014 7:51pm
In medicine we're taught to have a bullshit meter. Its pegged now bc why do we have more adhd kiddos and less spanking. That said i have 8 kids and spanked all of them. None have adhd. They have discipline. In med school doing my rotations in pediatric psychiatry its estimated that less than 4% of kids diagnosed with adhd actually have a "wiring" issue in the brain. Most is discipline issues and the meds are doled out bc it does help the grades. That said, in a university town if i had a twenty spot for every college athlete that didnt have adhd but found a performance enhancement in baseball hitting and fielding or in football enhancing concentration, that wanted adderall i could have paid off my loans.
jeffro503
6/25/2014 8:07pm
Flatliner wrote:
A family member of mine has diagnosed ADHD, aspergers, Tourette's and add, medication for him does almost nothing, he gets the sides without the benefits. He's...
A family member of mine has diagnosed ADHD, aspergers, Tourette's and add, medication for him does almost nothing, he gets the sides without the benefits. He's 14 and has to live in a home , his outbursts can be violent and unpredictable, and my uncle is worried about something happening if he's not home.

He's tried all sorts of meds, consulting with some American doctors now as well.
Dude that is terrible! I hate hearing things like that. I hope they find a way to make his life more comfortable. They break new ground all the time.......so keep your fingers crossed man , and I wish you and your family the best of luck!
APLMAN99
6/25/2014 10:13pm
I always feel for those who have to beat their kids into submission to achieve discipline. My worst fear as a child had nothing to do with physical violence, but rather the thought of seeing the look of disappointment in the eyes of my parents. I've tried to parent that way also, and overall it's turned out pretty well. I have no doubt that if my youngest son hadn't been born with his body addicted to drugs, he'd be operating at the same level as my other three. I also have no doubt that my beating him wouldn't get him any closer to being helped of his condition anymore than beating a child with a 104 degree fever will "cure" them of whatever it is that is causing it.
Mr. G
6/25/2014 10:46pm
ADHD is a medical theory sold as a mental problem where doctors give out drugs for a theoretical chemical imbalance that the drugs don't go ahead and cure. It is brilliant.
RMT
6/25/2014 10:58pm
Mr. G wrote:
ADHD is a medical theory sold as a mental problem where doctors give out drugs for a theoretical chemical imbalance that the drugs don't go ahead...
ADHD is a medical theory sold as a mental problem where doctors give out drugs for a theoretical chemical imbalance that the drugs don't go ahead and cure. It is brilliant.
It's not a mental problem and can't be cured. Tell us your feelings ( if you have any) on bi-polar disorder. Does that exist in your world or just made up BS?
Mr. G
6/25/2014 11:50pm
Mental problems are real. I and many others have a problem with theoretical causes and cures. They (Psychs) come up with a theory say "chemical imbalance" where there is no medical test and they and doctors prescribe drugs for this "chemical imbalance" that don't go ahead and cure this imbalance. Take SSRI's, they in theory increase serotonin. They may or may not depending on the person but give a person 5 HTP (supplement) and you get much more serotonin. My only urge is to be scientific about it. A true scientific endeavor has the practitioner spending as much time or more trying to disprove their own theory to assure a correct diagnosis. More over these drugs that are being prescribed have pretty serious side effects as can be seen in any mass murder rampage. It is a call to use real science, not theories that feed a cash cow.
oldAFI
6/25/2014 11:57pm
Mr. G wrote:
Mental problems are real. I and many others have a problem with theoretical causes and cures. They (Psychs) come up with a theory say "chemical imbalance"...
Mental problems are real. I and many others have a problem with theoretical causes and cures. They (Psychs) come up with a theory say "chemical imbalance" where there is no medical test and they and doctors prescribe drugs for this "chemical imbalance" that don't go ahead and cure this imbalance. Take SSRI's, they in theory increase serotonin. They may or may not depending on the person but give a person 5 HTP (supplement) and you get much more serotonin. My only urge is to be scientific about it. A true scientific endeavor has the practitioner spending as much time or more trying to disprove their own theory to assure a correct diagnosis. More over these drugs that are being prescribed have pretty serious side effects as can be seen in any mass murder rampage. It is a call to use real science, not theories that feed a cash cow.
LMFAO are you about 80 yrs old?
EZZA 95B
Fantasy
1154th
6/26/2014 12:22am
Mr. G wrote:
Mental problems are real. I and many others have a problem with theoretical causes and cures. They (Psychs) come up with a theory say "chemical imbalance"...
They've made it very difficult to get good 5 HTP here. I took the PrimaForce stuff a few years ago and it was f@#king great!
justme
6/26/2014 4:52am
How is it that a cure is needed for a name given to a, pulled out of thin air, difference in people. The drug companies needed a ticket to make big bucks and AD whatever was born and the tag has stuck ever since so says the man who coined the condition. They are in the process of creating a drug to give one AD whatever so everyone is on a level playing field.
35smom
6/26/2014 5:25am
I've stayed out of these arguments for a reason. But now with a few comments in this thread (and the reference that spanking is the cure Sick ) I have to respond.
In 1966 at 3 years old I was diagnosed with ADD. Obviously is wasn't the blanket diagnosis it is now. Unless you have actually lived with it you have no idea what its like. My mom had to lock all the doors in our house and put wet tea bags on the handles (for some ungodly reason I was afraid of them!!) My family would go to picnics and clam bakes an literally tie me to the tent pole so I wouldn't wander away. My mom would not allow the doctor to give me Ritalin. I grew up with my brain going 1000 miles an hour, never slept well or could concentrate on one thing at a time. But I learned to live with it. Grades were good in HS because of a high IQ, but could not get past basic Algebra. Caused my mom a lot of heartache with my antics. Wrecked every single car I've ever had (even thru my 40's). Then it happened, 2011 at Loretta's,between the pressure of Joey being in the A class, my impending divorce (and my ex's GF coming to the race for the week) I was ready to crack!! My girlfriend had a prescription for Adderall and suggested I try it. WOW is all I can say. I was able to function normally, no racing thoughts, had probably one of the best weeks ever! I still don't have a prescription for it, because honestly I would probably become addicted to them (its my personality), I have a small amount so on race days I can enjoy watching my son do what he loves Smile There are some people who absolutely need it. Like me. So to say its a "made up" disorder is ridiculous. I do agree its over subscribed, but don't assume everyone who takes it can be cured. Some people (like me) just get by every day.
6/26/2014 5:35am
Tradmark wrote:
In medicine we're taught to have a bullshit meter. Its pegged now bc why do we have more adhd kiddos and less spanking. That said i...
In medicine we're taught to have a bullshit meter. Its pegged now bc why do we have more adhd kiddos and less spanking. That said i have 8 kids and spanked all of them. None have adhd. They have discipline. In med school doing my rotations in pediatric psychiatry its estimated that less than 4% of kids diagnosed with adhd actually have a "wiring" issue in the brain. Most is discipline issues and the meds are doled out bc it does help the grades. That said, in a university town if i had a twenty spot for every college athlete that didnt have adhd but found a performance enhancement in baseball hitting and fielding or in football enhancing concentration, that wanted adderall i could have paid off my loans.
This is why nobody should be allowed to race while taking Adderall. To those of you who say James' alleged use of the drug simply gets him back to normal I ask, how do you know that? How do you know that it doesn't get him better than normal concentration? How do you know that he really has a medical condition that actually calls for a prescription of Adderall? You can't possibly know the answer to these questions. That is why the only fair way to ensure there is no performance enhancing effect is to not allow Adderall for any racer, with or without a TUE. As Trademark says, its not hard to get a script for this stuff.
Grieby54
6/26/2014 6:54am
The ignorance on this board is astounding. So many people don't realize that ADD, much like depression, is a PHYSIOLOGICAL condition. If you broke your arm, could your dad spank it back into place? No. So why the hell would your dad's spanking help you with the chemical balance in your brain?
Darryl916
6/26/2014 7:24am
Spanking used correctly is simply a shot of adrenaline motivating a child to think before acting. I'm not a fan of spanking at all, and it's used very rarely in my house. It is however a tool in the "tool box" though that if used correctly can make a kid think. I'm a fan of using your head first. Some adults might benefit from a good whooping to be honest. lol

We all must remember there is punishment to slow a child down allowing them to think and motivate them to try harder and there is beating and abuse, there is a big difference divided by a very fine line.

I hate abusive parents and abusive people in general. I also hate people who make excuses to not correct, guide, coach discipline, parent their children. Hey, and they their are people who are too screwed up themselves to ever effectively correct anyone else, EVER. Any attempt they make at guidance is instantly abuse thru stupidity. lol
APLMAN99
6/26/2014 9:36am
Darryl916 wrote:
Spanking used correctly is simply a shot of adrenaline motivating a child to think before acting. I'm not a fan of spanking at all, and it's...
Spanking used correctly is simply a shot of adrenaline motivating a child to think before acting. I'm not a fan of spanking at all, and it's used very rarely in my house. It is however a tool in the "tool box" though that if used correctly can make a kid think. I'm a fan of using your head first. Some adults might benefit from a good whooping to be honest. lol

We all must remember there is punishment to slow a child down allowing them to think and motivate them to try harder and there is beating and abuse, there is a big difference divided by a very fine line.

I hate abusive parents and abusive people in general. I also hate people who make excuses to not correct, guide, coach discipline, parent their children. Hey, and they their are people who are too screwed up themselves to ever effectively correct anyone else, EVER. Any attempt they make at guidance is instantly abuse thru stupidity. lol
I think the line is very thin, and the way to tell which side of it a person is on is whether they are bragging and boastful of hitting their children or whether they are regretful that it had to happen.

The only "spanking" I've ever had to do was light tapping before my children could fully understand me verbally and was nothing more than an attention getter. That ended pretty quickly. And I'm pretty sure that no one would ever accuse my 3 oldest children of being entitled, disrespectful, brats. Even my youngest child who has so many issues stacked against him tries his best to be a good citizen. Beating him would do nothing but make him angrier at the world than he already is and teach him that the person he should respect the most in the world prefers violence to solve problems.
6/26/2014 12:15pm
I think you guys understood that study incorrectly. I think it said Spanking works, if your Canadian. Well, that's how I read it.
DrSweden
6/26/2014 2:04pm Edited Date/Time 6/26/2014 2:19pm
Flatliner wrote:
A family member of mine has diagnosed ADHD, aspergers, Tourette's and add, medication for him does almost nothing, he gets the sides without the benefits. He's...

I feel for you. I meet children like that every day in Sweden. It's pretty hard to figure out what conditions creates the biggest suffering for the kid when multiple diagnoses (I assume your relative has either ADHD, or ADD. It's not possible to have both at the same time). Often I have issues understanding if the low impuls control spawn from the ADHD, or the lack of emotional understanding that comes with asperger creates these outburst (in my patients, I'm leaning towards the asperger without knowing enough in this case).

When the based are covered with school, assistant etc (I don't know how your system works) we have seen very good results with ordinary SSRI. Often we see very good results within a few weeks, often earlier in contrast to depression were it can take up to a month to see any regress. When that isn't good enough, we either stop with the SSRI (when max dose is reached) or start/add Abilify or Risperidone in low doses. Sometimes we start with the latter if there's much violence, or fear off violence. I know shit about your family member, but I would recommend the parents talking to a psychiatrist (preferably a child psychiatrist that I understand are not very easy to find over there) and have a discussion about the meds. No way your relative or your family should suffer without trying further meds. Also one needs to discuss of the Adderall (?) is the right med. We rarerly use the amphetamines, we go with methylphenidate. Question for us is to keep those, while adding SSRI, and worse scenario also add Abilify. I don't like at all when I end up treating a kid with up to four meds (that's worse case scenario). Not uncommon is to see Concerta, Sertraline and Melatonine, then you start havings something looking like a ordinary life...

Here in Sweden, in these cases, the family meets a doctor every second week when starting medication, and telephone calls every week, bloodworks until some steady state appears. Plus we do some basic physical exam with blood pressure, puls, heart sound, weight and hight (Abilify can add some weight, so you need a baseline).

If you guys can't get that kind of attention, because of lack of insurance or lack of doctors well, you just have to take what's being offered if you are interested at all in the med path...

I wouldn't give up hope at all, one can have fears (and there are always some side-effects to consider) but I have really seen families resurrect by just adding low dose SSRI to the kid suffering from asperger, who in some cases have total dysfunction and their lives are in chaos.

Hope that helps.

/From Sweden.
Bret
6/26/2014 3:43pm Edited Date/Time 6/26/2014 3:43pm
In the United States, it takes an average of 12 years for an experimental drug to travel from the laboratory to your medicine cabinet. That is, if it makes it.

Roughly 5 in 5,000 drugs that enter pre-clinical testing progress to human testing. Typically, one of these 5 drugs that are tested in people is approved. The chance for a new drug to actually make it to market is thus only 1 in 5,000. Not very good odds.

To me this means that IF a drug is approved, it will help a good number of people successfully.
APLMAN99
6/26/2014 4:16pm
Flatliner wrote:

DrSweden wrote:
I feel for you. I meet children like that every day in Sweden. It's pretty hard to figure out what conditions creates the biggest suffering for...
I feel for you. I meet children like that every day in Sweden. It's pretty hard to figure out what conditions creates the biggest suffering for the kid when multiple diagnoses (I assume your relative has either ADHD, or ADD. It's not possible to have both at the same time). Often I have issues understanding if the low impuls control spawn from the ADHD, or the lack of emotional understanding that comes with asperger creates these outburst (in my patients, I'm leaning towards the asperger without knowing enough in this case).

When the based are covered with school, assistant etc (I don't know how your system works) we have seen very good results with ordinary SSRI. Often we see very good results within a few weeks, often earlier in contrast to depression were it can take up to a month to see any regress. When that isn't good enough, we either stop with the SSRI (when max dose is reached) or start/add Abilify or Risperidone in low doses. Sometimes we start with the latter if there's much violence, or fear off violence. I know shit about your family member, but I would recommend the parents talking to a psychiatrist (preferably a child psychiatrist that I understand are not very easy to find over there) and have a discussion about the meds. No way your relative or your family should suffer without trying further meds. Also one needs to discuss of the Adderall (?) is the right med. We rarerly use the amphetamines, we go with methylphenidate. Question for us is to keep those, while adding SSRI, and worse scenario also add Abilify. I don't like at all when I end up treating a kid with up to four meds (that's worse case scenario). Not uncommon is to see Concerta, Sertraline and Melatonine, then you start havings something looking like a ordinary life...

Here in Sweden, in these cases, the family meets a doctor every second week when starting medication, and telephone calls every week, bloodworks until some steady state appears. Plus we do some basic physical exam with blood pressure, puls, heart sound, weight and hight (Abilify can add some weight, so you need a baseline).

If you guys can't get that kind of attention, because of lack of insurance or lack of doctors well, you just have to take what's being offered if you are interested at all in the med path...

I wouldn't give up hope at all, one can have fears (and there are always some side-effects to consider) but I have really seen families resurrect by just adding low dose SSRI to the kid suffering from asperger, who in some cases have total dysfunction and their lives are in chaos.

Hope that helps.

/From Sweden.
Your statement about not having "both" (even though they are truly both ADHD) sounds a bit off. My understanding is that the current status of diagnosis is one of three types. ADHD-I (inattentive), ADHD- Predominantly Hyperactive-Impulsive Type, and ADHD- Combined Type: Inattentive and hyperactive/impulsive.

The third type would be the "both" variety.
Mr. G
6/26/2014 10:22pm
Flatliner wrote:

DrSweden wrote:
I feel for you. I meet children like that every day in Sweden. It's pretty hard to figure out what conditions creates the biggest suffering for...

Hope that helps.

/From Sweden.
What are the medical test you use to determine your prescription?
Flatliner
6/26/2014 11:24pm
DrSweden wrote:

Hope that helps.

/From Sweden.
As far as what medications have been tried, I don't know. Ive really just been told that the've tried many, and the doctors are left scratching thier heads as to why things arent working. Ive seen it in person, some meds gave him a tick, and and a fair bit of weight gain as well, or just a really subdued state, nothing good.

I do know he sees a child psychitrist, and so does his 10 year old sister, as the whole thing has been hard on her development also. They enjoy having my daughter who's 7 over at thier place to play, or spend the night, to get some normalcy back at home. She ( thier daughter) isnt comfortable staying anyplace unless my aunt and uncle are there too. Sleepovers at friends places are out.

Its a tough thing for sure, school right now isnt happening, but I believe will be in some manner this fall with the treatment home he's staying in, they tried a teacher at home, but again it came to the point where he couldnt stay there anymore.

I do know they're wondering if puberty hormones are going to make things better, or worse.

Thanks for the input, I'll pass that info along.

6/27/2014 3:37am Edited Date/Time 4/2/2015 12:43pm
Flatliner wrote:

DrSweden wrote:

Hope that helps.

/From Sweden.

Post a reply to: Cure for ADHD?

The Latest