Craiglist Ad of the Day

Edited Date/Time 4/23/2015 4:00pm
I've got a good one for you guys. A few months ago I listed my bike on craigslist for 2200. This kid contacted me and said he had two grand and he would buy my bike. I said alright. Although I had no expectation of him actually being committed to buy it, I told him he could check it out. Long story short this guy comes over with tattoos on his face saying he just got out of jail, and he brought his friend who looked like he weighed 90 pounds soaking wet and they said they knew about dirt bikes. They told me if there was anything wrong with the bike they would take me to court. They weren't coming off as hostile towards me or anything but I just found them hilarious. He asked if he could test ride it and I said sure, if I could have the cash in hand. So he handed me the money and I let him ride it. He ended up buying my bike. My bike was in pretty good condition for the year and how many hours were on it. I just told him if he wanted to get the most out of the bike he should at least get the valves done. About four months later my friend is looking to buy a bike on craigslist. He calls me up and tells me that he found my bike on craigslist for sale. He is saying that it was owned by a pro. And the worst part about all of this is I didn't take my numbers off when I sold to bike to him.Blush
By the way if anyone is selling a tip top two stroke in Southern California let me know, my buddy is in the market.

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/mcy/4990496883.html
|
YZ125H1
4/23/2015 8:32am Edited Date/Time 4/23/2015 8:33am
I've got a good one for you guys. A few months ago I listed my bike on craigslist for 2200. This kid contacted me and said...
I've got a good one for you guys. A few months ago I listed my bike on craigslist for 2200. This kid contacted me and said he had two grand and he would buy my bike. I said alright. Although I had no expectation of him actually being committed to buy it, I told him he could check it out. Long story short this guy comes over with tattoos on his face saying he just got out of jail, and he brought his friend who looked like he weighed 90 pounds soaking wet and they said they knew about dirt bikes. They told me if there was anything wrong with the bike they would take me to court. They weren't coming off as hostile towards me or anything but I just found them hilarious. He asked if he could test ride it and I said sure, if I could have the cash in hand. So he handed me the money and I let him ride it. He ended up buying my bike. My bike was in pretty good condition for the year and how many hours were on it. I just told him if he wanted to get the most out of the bike he should at least get the valves done. About four months later my friend is looking to buy a bike on craigslist. He calls me up and tells me that he found my bike on craigslist for sale. He is saying that it was owned by a pro. And the worst part about all of this is I didn't take my numbers off when I sold to bike to him.Blush
By the way if anyone is selling a tip top two stroke in Southern California let me know, my buddy is in the market.

I'm surprised he has not tried contacting you and ripping you a new one lol. I just recently sold my 07 250f had a hard time selling it let her go for 2300$. She lived an easy life have no clue how many hours on the motor I put around 30 "vet" hours not counting PO. You were at least honest with him not trying to sell him a lie. Heck I'm sure if the guy had a 2 stroke he would blow that up too. Kind of sucks he left your name and number on the bike though. Now I'm looking for an 04+ RM250 or 06+ YZ250 now they are damn near impossible to find in my area and sell quick. Angry

I think the guy below with the SRH CR125 bought your bike?

https://youtu.be/rj25x9wVEL0
chapstick
4/23/2015 9:29am
I've got a good one for you guys. A few months ago I listed my bike on craigslist for 2200. This kid contacted me and said...

I had a guy do the same thing with a bike I sold awhile back. He had it maybe 2 months and through it up on CL. He said it had never been raced and had hardly any hours on the motor, both of which are far from the truth. He knew when I sold it that I raced it.
Darryl916
4/23/2015 9:47am
I don't get the "never been raced" thing. I'd rather have a dedicated race bike than a bike that's ridden 3 times a week or all day practicing on weekends. A race weekend if you race 2 classes is about an hour and a half. A kid on a farm will ride 2 hours on a Monday evening. lol I think race bikes generally get less ride time/abuse and more maintenance. Just my logic I guess.
liamjumper
4/23/2015 9:58am Edited Date/Time 4/23/2015 9:59am
Kinda wanna prank call this guy. Ask about the pro rider and all that, see what factory mods the bike has.

The Shop

h&m_cycle
4/23/2015 10:00am Edited Date/Time 4/23/2015 10:03am
Darryl916 wrote:
I don't get the "never been raced" thing. I'd rather have a dedicated race bike than a bike that's ridden 3 times a week or all...
I don't get the "never been raced" thing. I'd rather have a dedicated race bike than a bike that's ridden 3 times a week or all day practicing on weekends. A race weekend if you race 2 classes is about an hour and a half. A kid on a farm will ride 2 hours on a Monday evening. lol I think race bikes generally get less ride time/abuse and more maintenance. Just my logic I guess.
I'm with you there. Sold my bikes before I moved from Florida. Guy had cash, backed off when I said it was raced & that's
what it was made for.

What's really bad is buying a used 4 stroke off a guy that only used the bike to ride dirt roads.
IWreckALot
4/23/2015 10:16am
I just want to know where one gets a bike stand like that. It's killer. . .
IWreckALot
4/23/2015 10:18am
Darryl916 wrote:
I don't get the "never been raced" thing. I'd rather have a dedicated race bike than a bike that's ridden 3 times a week or all...
h&m_cycle wrote:
I'm with you there. Sold my bikes before I moved from Florida. Guy had cash, backed off when I said it was raced & that's what...
I'm with you there. Sold my bikes before I moved from Florida. Guy had cash, backed off when I said it was raced & that's
what it was made for.

What's really bad is buying a used 4 stroke off a guy that only used the bike to ride dirt roads.
Most people buying dirt bikes on craigslist are about as fickle as they come. You run off as many people as you attract by saying "never been raced" or "it's been raced". . . Personally, I look at bikes individually and don't care if they've been raced or not. Usually the bike's condition tells the story.

Funny story though.
PEPE001
4/23/2015 10:43am
I look for bikes which are raced rather than just used!
Usually the raced bikes are well maintained.

However I buy used bikes and rebuild them is fun working on bikes.
If I buy a bike I strip it down to the frame and go from there.

I don't read the description on CL anyway if I like something I go onsite and do my usual lookup.

newmann
4/23/2015 10:55am
Well now that you are a pro rider you should show up for SX this weekend. You would make the night show! Or did we get 40 riders signed up yet?
HenryA
4/23/2015 10:56am Edited Date/Time 4/23/2015 10:57am
liamjumper wrote:
Kinda wanna prank call this guy. Ask about the pro rider and all that, see what factory mods the bike has.
Haha please do it, I bet that he has a great story to tell you! Might even be Tarvis Pastrami's old bike Laughing
RandyS
4/23/2015 11:03am
That's why you don't sell bikes with your graphics on it.
4/23/2015 11:21am

YZ125H1 wrote:
I'm surprised he has not tried contacting you and ripping you a new one lol. I just recently sold my 07 250f had a hard time...
I'm surprised he has not tried contacting you and ripping you a new one lol. I just recently sold my 07 250f had a hard time selling it let her go for 2300$. She lived an easy life have no clue how many hours on the motor I put around 30 "vet" hours not counting PO. You were at least honest with him not trying to sell him a lie. Heck I'm sure if the guy had a 2 stroke he would blow that up too. Kind of sucks he left your name and number on the bike though. Now I'm looking for an 04+ RM250 or 06+ YZ250 now they are damn near impossible to find in my area and sell quick. Angry

I think the guy below with the SRH CR125 bought your bike?

https://youtu.be/rj25x9wVEL0
I was honest when I sold him the bike. He would have blown up any bike he got probably.
FGR01
Fantasy
1222nd
4/23/2015 11:22am
Most racers understand that MX bikes require a relatively high amount of maintenance vs. the actual time you ride the bike. They clean their filters every ride, etc. I can't tell you how many "bashers" I've seen that never clean their filter or they think they're doing good if they clean it once every 6 months because, hell, that's a lot more than they do for their Camaro.

A local basher was having trouble with his YZ250F one time and asked me for help. I asked when was the last time he cleaned his filter and he said "oh your supposed to clean it?" I asked how long he had the bike and he said over a year. I said let's check it and kinda motioned towards the air box. He grabbed a 10mm socket and started trying to take the side panel off..LOL. When I took the seat off for him the filter looked like and entire bag of concrete or sand had been dumped in the airbox. Never raced though.
4/23/2015 11:35am Edited Date/Time 4/23/2015 11:36am
Ad: 2007 yz250 factory edition with vance and Hines full headers. I ran this summ butch through the woods and up river beds. Over cliffs. Up impossible hill climbs.

Buyer: awesome when can I come look at it? Anything else you want to tell me ?

Seller: oh yea.... And I raced it at a fair once.

Buyer: Oh you raced it? Not interested.
4/23/2015 12:45pm
I sold my great 97 rm 250 for $900 last year to a giant hillbilly; he blew it up a few days later, listed it for $1500, and said it was a 2003 model lol.
disbanded
Fantasy
1734th
4/23/2015 1:00pm
IWreckALot wrote:
I just want to know where one gets a bike stand like that. It's killer. . .
Discount Tire sells that stand.
4/23/2015 3:17pm
Darryl916 wrote:
EXACTLY!!! I tell people this and they're always like, "damn, that's a really good point."

and.. that bike stand is sweeet, BRO!

and ALWAYS take your numbers off.
Don't worry though.. I"ve done it twice. lol
PDiddy241
4/23/2015 4:00pm
I sold a 2007 YZ 450F in May of 2009. In June of 2012 I see it posted for sale online -- here’s the copy from the ads:

MAKE ME A OFFER I BOUGHT THIS BIKE NEW IN MARCH WITH TWO MANY EXTRAS TO LIST 5000.00 IN UP GRADES ITS A STEALTHIS BIKE IS A GREAT BIKE JUST TIGHT ON BILLS AND HAVE TO GET RID OF CALL OR TEXT FOR PICS AND DETAILS

This bike is one of a kind bought bike new in march it has about 5000 in upgrades and has maybe 8 total hours on bike it has full dr.d titanium exhaust gytr oversized titanium foot pegs dr.d radiator lowering kit r&d float bowl and accelerator pump remote mixture screw works connection skid plates boyseen high flow super cool water pump twin air filter and billet filter cage carbon fiber frame guards carbon fiber clutch cover galfer versized front brake kit with braided lines tm designs chain guide and case saver pirelli tires one industries bump seat valving in forks and shock by fineline throttle tube roller clutch lever and quick adjust billet perch billet thumb hot start i can keep going with accesorys im a service manager at a local shop and i built this bike right call or text me for more info i am open to offers so make one this bike is extremly clean its never been layed down whoever ends up with this bike is stealing it

The bike looked almost identical to when I sold it in 2009 (besides being a bit dirty and having some Skin Industries stickers on it). And it certainly couldn’t have been new in March 2012, the upgrade list totaled $2,500 when I sold it, the “service manager at a local shop” hadn’t done a thing to “build the bike” and I’d laid it down several times when I owned it.

I raced it at least a dozen times when I owned it too – glad that didn’t make the ad!

Post a reply to: Craiglist Ad of the Day

The Latest