UPDATE** Cracked the frame on a 2016 kx450f

bdavis435
Edited Date/Time 6/13/2017 12:42pm
Anyone done this on theirs or see it happen? Its only got 35 hours on it with FC suspension.. other than that it's completely stock. I'm not a pro or anything and Im not jumping dumb stuff so I don't see any reason for this happening.

***UPDATE***
I contacted Delmarva Powersports in Salisbury, MD by phone last week which is where I originally purchased the bike. I talked to who I believe is the owner, Chuck and his son Chuck Jr. They told me that Kawasaki would probably replace the frame but couldn't guarantee anything and that I just needed to bring the bike in to document the problem. Since I'm a couple hours away from the dealership they told me that I should be able to go to any Kawasaki dealership to have this done so, after talking to them I called a couple dealerships closer to me with no luck. Nobody even wanted to talk to me about it. I would immediately get shut-down with the "no warranty" excuse. I ended up leaving work early last Thursday and driving almost 3 hours to Delmarva Powersports to meet with Chuck Jr. just before they closed for the night. He took all of my info and documented the problem with pictures. Just two business days later I get a call from Chuck Jr. saying that the frame is on the way and it will cost me nothing. I cannot thank Delmarva Powersports enough for their willingness to help and Kawasaki for standing by their product. I will definitely be purchasing my next bike from Delmarva Powersports. They are good people and deserve your business.

|
JBecker 72
6/3/2017 9:20am
That is most unfortunate. Have you contacted Kawasaki about it?
bdavis435
6/3/2017 10:22am
JBecker 72 wrote:
No i just noticed it at the track today. Im going to call the dealership this week and see what they say.
wreckitrandy
6/3/2017 10:26am
JBecker 72 wrote:
Yeah. The worst that can happen is they laugh at you.
Joko
Fantasy
233rd
6/3/2017 10:36am Edited Date/Time 6/3/2017 10:37am
That's weld quality related. Usually when there's poor shielding gas coverage, a dirty contamined surface, dirty tungsten electrode that may have aluminum on it it'll generate porosity and small cracks in the weld that grow with service use to what is seen. To repair it would require disassembly, grinding out the suspect weld build, purging the back side of the joint, fully cleaning and rewelding. If all the contaminated weld is removed, probably won't crack again. The weld repair cost by itself should be around $120-150. I'd prefer to get a new frame if Kawasaki would help.

The Shop

mb60
6/3/2017 10:53am
No way kawi would not stand by that. If they don't then never buy green again.
6/3/2017 11:34am
mb60 wrote:
I just bought a 2017 KXF250 and they made it very clear there is no warranty on a race bike.

hopefully they stand by it, going to check my frame over real good now.

Is this happening because manufactures are cutting corners? I know the Yamahas had it bad a few years ago too.
aedwards07
6/3/2017 11:48am
It's all about getting to the right person at Kawasaki. I had a Honda frame crack. Posted on here and someone from Honda actually saw it and messages me. Dropped the bike at the dealer of my choice and a week later had a new frame. Warranty or not if you get the right person they will replace it.
Rockinar
6/3/2017 11:49am Edited Date/Time 6/3/2017 1:17pm
mb60 wrote:
I just bought a 2017 KXF250 and they made it very clear there is no warranty on a race bike. hopefully they stand by it, going...
I just bought a 2017 KXF250 and they made it very clear there is no warranty on a race bike.

hopefully they stand by it, going to check my frame over real good now.

Is this happening because manufactures are cutting corners? I know the Yamahas had it bad a few years ago too.
It happens because aluminum welding can be a bit complicated.
captmoto
6/3/2017 11:50am
I think someone else dealt with the same problem, not sure if it was Kawi but would only warrant if dealer did the frame swap and dealer wanted 6-700 to do the swap.
mxb2
6/3/2017 11:52am
aedwards07 wrote:
It's all about getting to the right person at Kawasaki. I had a Honda frame crack. Posted on here and someone from Honda actually saw it...
It's all about getting to the right person at Kawasaki. I had a Honda frame crack. Posted on here and someone from Honda actually saw it and messages me. Dropped the bike at the dealer of my choice and a week later had a new frame. Warranty or not if you get the right person they will replace it.
Did they cover labor on the frame switch and parts switched?
aedwards07
6/3/2017 1:17pm Edited Date/Time 6/3/2017 1:17pm
mxb2 wrote:
Yes. I did not pay a cent. I believe the bill was in the $3400 range after parts and labor.
mxb2
6/3/2017 2:21pm
mxb2 wrote:
aedwards07 wrote:
Yes. I did not pay a cent. I believe the bill was in the $3400 range after parts and labor.
Nice, nice
captmoto
6/3/2017 3:10pm
mxb2 wrote:
No, they would only warrant the frame if a dealer did the part swap. $6-$700.
rutsmash
6/3/2017 5:47pm
bdavis435 wrote:
Anyone done this on theirs or see it happen? Its only got 35 hours on it with FC suspension.. other than that it's completely stock. I'm...
Anyone done this on theirs or see it happen? Its only got 35 hours on it with FC suspension.. other than that it's completely stock. I'm not a pro or anything and Im not jumping dumb stuff so I don't see any reason for this happening.

***UPDATE***
I contacted Delmarva Powersports in Salisbury, MD by phone last week which is where I originally purchased the bike. I talked to who I believe is the owner, Chuck and his son Chuck Jr. They told me that Kawasaki would probably replace the frame but couldn't guarantee anything and that I just needed to bring the bike in to document the problem. Since I'm a couple hours away from the dealership they told me that I should be able to go to any Kawasaki dealership to have this done so, after talking to them I called a couple dealerships closer to me with no luck. Nobody even wanted to talk to me about it. I would immediately get shut-down with the "no warranty" excuse. I ended up leaving work early last Thursday and driving almost 3 hours to Delmarva Powersports to meet with Chuck Jr. just before they closed for the night. He took all of my info and documented the problem with pictures. Just two business days later I get a call from Chuck Jr. saying that the frame is on the way and it will cost me nothing. I cannot thank Delmarva Powersports enough for their willingness to help and Kawasaki for standing by their product. I will definitely be purchasing my next bike from Delmarva Powersports. They are good people and deserve your business.

Oh God no! I got rid of my Yamaha because of the same exact issue with the 2014-16 models (in the exact same place). I bought a 16 KX450 but so far it doesn't have this issue. I hope Kawi didn't buy all the Yamaha's left over aluminum!
6/3/2017 6:43pm
bdavis435 wrote:
Anyone done this on theirs or see it happen? Its only got 35 hours on it with FC suspension.. other than that it's completely stock. I'm...

***UPDATE***

rutsmash wrote:
Oh God no! I got rid of my Yamaha because of the same exact issue with the 2014-16 models (in the exact same place). I bought...
Oh God no! I got rid of my Yamaha because of the same exact issue with the 2014-16 models (in the exact same place). I bought a 16 KX450 but so far it doesn't have this issue. I hope Kawi didn't buy all the Yamaha's left over aluminum!
Just found a crack in my 14 yz450 frame. A professional welded it for 100 bucks. Re powder coating was the expensive part
Charper732
6/3/2017 6:54pm
aedwards07 wrote:
It's all about getting to the right person at Kawasaki. I had a Honda frame crack. Posted on here and someone from Honda actually saw it...
That is true for just about everything customer service related in any industry
rutsmash
6/3/2017 7:18pm
bdavis435 wrote:

***UPDATE***

rutsmash wrote:
Oh God no! I got rid of my Yamaha because of the same exact issue with the 2014-16 models (in the exact same place). I bought...
Just found a crack in my 14 yz450 frame. A professional welded it for 100 bucks. Re powder coating was the expensive part
I had the same thing done. It cracked again within a month. There is a lot of stress in that area in that design. The new model coming out, has a completely different design in that area.
bobojim
6/4/2017 4:52am
rutsmash wrote:
rutsmash wrote:
I had the same thing done. It cracked again within a month. There is a lot of stress in that area in that design. The new...
I had the same thing done. It cracked again within a month. There is a lot of stress in that area in that design. The new model coming out, has a completely different design in that area.
Guys, the frame is probably fully heat treated post welding. A reweld will not give a good outcome. Go back to the OEM or get a new frame.
6/4/2017 7:15am
rutsmash wrote:
I had the same thing done. It cracked again within a month. There is a lot of stress in that area in that design. The new...
bobojim wrote:
Guys, the frame is probably fully heat treated post welding. A reweld will not give a good outcome. Go back to the OEM or get a...
Guys, the frame is probably fully heat treated post welding. A reweld will not give a good outcome. Go back to the OEM or get a new frame.
My welder heat treated before and after. Hes done a few.
Wells423
6/4/2017 7:37am
captmoto wrote:
I think someone else dealt with the same problem, not sure if it was Kawi but would only warrant if dealer did the frame swap and...
I think someone else dealt with the same problem, not sure if it was Kawi but would only warrant if dealer did the frame swap and dealer wanted 6-700 to do the swap.
I just had my 15 yz250f done. Cracked a head tube weld. Yamaha covered the frame I was out 900 for labor. I really can't complain though considering I'm the second owner of the bike and it has 100 hours on it. I figured there'd tell me to pound sand. I think I'm done with aluminum frames after this bike. Seems like all the manufacturers have had some problems with them cracking
Sander
6/4/2017 1:01pm
Just saw that yesterday at Estonian national.

SURFGLOBE
6/13/2017 11:38am
Awesome. Who's going to be doing the frame swap, you or them?
Markee
Fantasy
1890th
6/13/2017 11:47am
bdavis435 wrote:

***UPDATE***

That's great they took care of the problem! Wish they still ran Speedciti
bdavis435
6/13/2017 12:02pm
Markee wrote:
That's great they took care of the problem! Wish they still ran Speedciti
Yeah man they really did a good job running that place.

Post a reply to: UPDATE** Cracked the frame on a 2016 kx450f

The Latest