Cornering Technique 2 stroke vs 4 stroke

Frodad78
Edited Date/Time 11/20/2015 5:24pm
So I'm reading a lot of conflicting information about cornering. Read an interview with Dubach on MXA the other day and he talked about people needing to get comfortable with coasting. WHAT?

Then of course I've read alot of Semics stuff that talks about never coasting and dragging the rear brake to help the front end pull around. Awesome stuff but it has me wondering. This makes sense to me as I always feel the front end push on my 125 if I'm mid corner and not on the gas.

With engine braking, have cornering techniques changed from the 2 stroke days?

If so does it take more corner technique to rail on a smoker? I have to say Yes just because I know what I need to do to make that perfect rail happen. Although I don't ride new thumpers much so I have little for comparison.

Here is the Dubach artickle

http://motocrossactionmag.com/home-page/interview-of-the-week-doug-dubach

Discuss, Bro.
|
mb
11/18/2015 8:38am
Seems pretty straightforward to me. Finish braking before actually turning. Coast=suspension settled and speed calculated. Hard to be wide open then slam on the brakes and let off at exactly the right time so you have perfect speed for the corner. If you brake in the corner you're doing it wrong. If you're not on the gas through the corner you don't have enough momentum to keep the correct angle. Try a circle rut or figure 8 and it will become very apparent.

Tight corners I lock up the rear and spin into the corner, but these are two different types of corner situations that you're talking about. My .02 anyways.
40Plus_922mx
11/18/2015 8:41am
2 strokes blast in, turn blast out.
4 strokes coast in, round the turn, exit accordingly.
Myke
Fantasy
2887th
11/18/2015 10:15am
Simple!
11/18/2015 10:21am
Yep, I find that on my yz250 I'm more of a point and shoot type whereas my buddies on 4 strokes probably have a smoother approach. I find it hard to stay in a long, smooth rut with the way the power comes on.

The Shop

brimx153
11/18/2015 10:55am
tortelli ,teaches the coasting technique as well . i think the engine braking has changed the technique too.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
11/18/2015 10:55am
Definitely different. The extra torque and rotational mass of the 4-stroke means you cannot wick the throttle on as you are leaning into the turn and blast through, like on a 2-stroke. You must roll the throttle on a little later as you are exiting or the 4-stroke will stand up in the turn quite significantly.

(See? Another reason why 4-strokes are inferior! Haha, had to say it.)
mimafia
Fantasy
2688th
11/18/2015 10:58am
They are very different techniques. Four strokes turn more with front end steering. Two strokes turn with the back end under power. Front wheel may start the turn but under power the rear wheel directs the bike around the turn.

For those that were racing when four strokes started taking over you noticed the lines on the tracks started changing significantly. More point and shoot type lines and inside ruts. Probably due to both the difference in the way they corner and also the fact that you could get away with carrying less momentum through the corners.

That's also why you would hear about people complaining that it looked different watching the supercross guys cornering on the four strokes at first. Made it look boring. Just a different style of technique required
bsharkey
11/18/2015 11:07am Edited Date/Time 11/18/2015 11:09am
I recently rode a 2 stroke again. after riding it all day and feeling great I switched back to the 4 stroke and felt slow for awhile but realized how much faster I could go thru turns on 4 stroke due to laziness. funny though when I got back on the 2 stroke and tried to ride it like the 4 stroke I crashed first lap lol. theres definatley things you learn from both bikes. the new 4 strokes are so good its easy to go fast with minimal effort where I see a lot of guys cant ride a 2 stroke to save there life
11/18/2015 11:09am Edited Date/Time 11/18/2015 11:09am
Depends on the corner.

In SX, those big bowl turns, you have to have a good "mid corner roll-thru". If you want to see one of the best, watch Milsaps. I realize no one here is lining up at A1, but it depends on the corner itself.

Also bear in mind that when you hear something that sounds "conflicting" from two different guys, try to dissect the wording. You'l see that they may be talking about the same thing, and wording it so differently that it sounds completely different. Think about it... when we talk about anything technique-related, we are usually moving our hands around and making engine noises. Take that away, and only use words. To quote Sterling Archer, "Phrasing!"
brimx153
11/18/2015 11:12am
mimafia wrote:
They are very different techniques. Four strokes turn more with front end steering. Two strokes turn with the back end under power. Front wheel may start...
They are very different techniques. Four strokes turn more with front end steering. Two strokes turn with the back end under power. Front wheel may start the turn but under power the rear wheel directs the bike around the turn.

For those that were racing when four strokes started taking over you noticed the lines on the tracks started changing significantly. More point and shoot type lines and inside ruts. Probably due to both the difference in the way they corner and also the fact that you could get away with carrying less momentum through the corners.

That's also why you would hear about people complaining that it looked different watching the supercross guys cornering on the four strokes at first. Made it look boring. Just a different style of technique required
I disagree ,4 strokes . are very more carry momentum. corners are more round, very little point and shoot . 2 strokes are more square up the corner and point and shoot
brimx153
11/18/2015 11:17am
what type of corners, If any ,do you not coast through the corner on a 4 stroke does anyone know. eg a sand turn , a bowl turn, a dust berm on hard pack . etc
Schipwreck
11/18/2015 11:22am
Iv'e also heard a lot of talk over the years about 2 stroke lines of the past being different than 4 stroke lines we see today on tracks..i ride both and never really understood the difference?!?
MxRewind
11/18/2015 11:54am
I went a season on a 2004 cr250 and just made a switch to a 2012 crf450. I am a good sand rider and I am an expert/pro rider. Back on the 2-stroke my buddy's lines around the sand track were awkward to hit on my 2-stroke. I had to make a flowing line while his lines were anywhere he wanted to go. Now being on a 4-stroke again the first ride/race back I struggled with my corners. I felt the need to rev the 450 out and not lugg it like a 4-stroke should. i could also take tighter lines without worrying about bogging.
bsharkey
11/18/2015 11:55am Edited Date/Time 11/18/2015 12:02pm
Schipwreck wrote:
Iv'e also heard a lot of talk over the years about 2 stroke lines of the past being different than 4 stroke lines we see today...
Iv'e also heard a lot of talk over the years about 2 stroke lines of the past being different than 4 stroke lines we see today on tracks..i ride both and never really understood the difference?!?
I think that's because of the power and torque difference. you don't see 2 stroke guys chopping corners like 4 stroke idiots. nothing pisses me off more than the many guys I see who comes in, stop, gets back on the gas and ruins a nice corner 9thery basically square up a corner that doesn't need to be)because the bike is so good it doesn't take any technique to go thru corners right. take those same guys and put them on 2 strokes and its like watching the beginner class at Friday night ax race. I ride both types of bikes so its not a 4 stroke vs 2 stroke thing ether
Mx Wildcat
11/18/2015 1:04pm
The biggest difference that I've noticed is that on the 4-strokes you have to initiate the lean in to the corner earlier, where the 2-stroke is so light that you just jam it in there and zap out of the corner.
Frodad78
11/19/2015 5:41am Edited Date/Time 11/19/2015 5:41am
Thanks for the replies Bros.

An honest question, How are you coasting through corners on 4 strokes with all the engine braking?
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
11/19/2015 5:48am
Frodad78 wrote:

An honest question, How are you coasting through corners on 4 strokes with all the engine braking?
Clutch and throttle control will help you coast through on a 4 stroke.
slipdog
11/19/2015 6:08am
I corner the exact same way on either 2 or 4 stroke, the only difference is rpm range.
11/19/2015 9:33am Edited Date/Time 11/19/2015 9:37am
When I think coasting, I think throttle completely off with the bike slowing. I believe by coast he means enough throttle that the bike maintains the same speed, neither speeding up or slowing. You do this on both four stroke and two stroke between braking and accelerating. Depending on the corner, sometimes that time is longer then others.

Great thread so far. As far as differences in corning I think they are a lot more similar then different. In berms and ruts they behave most similarly. Early lean was mentioned for the four stroke which i firmly believe in especially with 450's. Mostly riding a 250 2t it takes a while for me to acclimate to early and smooth lean on 450s where on my 250 i can more or less throw it down into the corner. Flat hard pack corners are where you see the largest difference, i've never ridden a two stroke that felt as stable and easy to ride fast as the four strokes on entry and mid corner, and exiting smooth is easier too. The two strokes like to break the back end loose exiting which upsets the chassis. Four strokes it's much easier to exit smoothly with out crossing up as much. I think it was that extra exiting cross up on two strokes that made the two stroke era flat corner exits more abrupt and point and shoot.
Sandberm
11/19/2015 10:13am
I came to the conclusion in about 2004 or 5 that 4-strokes eff up corners on an mx track as bad as 4-wheelers.

You have to have a completely different cornering technique then what I learned in the 80's/90's.

Coasting, pffft Angry
Sandberm
11/19/2015 10:17am
slipdog wrote:
I corner the exact same way on either 2 or 4 stroke, the only difference is rpm range.
Yeah but....

How do you keep your two-stroke in that lower rpm sweetspot? Its like you need to have a 20lb flywheel weight so the rpms dont climb too fast and blip you over the berm.

4-strokes made going to my local track to practice not fun in the mid 2000's
Mr Happy
Fantasy
2572nd
11/19/2015 10:38am
It helps for comparison that I have a 5 speed two stroke, on the two stroke I'll be a gear lower than the four stroke, coasting through off the throttle and bang the throttle open as soon as possible.

Four stroke I'll carry fewer revs but start opening the throttle when I turn in and hold it constant through the first half of the corner. I find engine braking has a big effect on the trajectory of the bike so if I'm in too quick just let off and it'll turn tighter, too slow just gas it more. Two stroke engine braking does very little so why bother, just lunge at a corner and it'll probably be fine.
11/19/2015 10:41am
This is why you use your rear brake on a 2 stroke.
slipdog
11/19/2015 11:21am
slipdog wrote:
Sandberm wrote:
Yeah but.... How do you keep your two-stroke in that lower rpm sweetspot? Its like you need to have a 20lb flywheel weight so the rpms...
Yeah but....

How do you keep your two-stroke in that lower rpm sweetspot? Its like you need to have a 20lb flywheel weight so the rpms dont climb too fast and blip you over the berm.

4-strokes made going to my local track to practice not fun in the mid 2000's
You have to use the clutch a lot more on a 2 stroke and slowly feed it out until after you pass the apex of the corner. They don't call me Slippy for nothing, lol!

Using your front brake is also very important to keep you from climbing out of a berm. Slightly dragging the front brake loads the front end causing the bike to turn in. Works on 2 or 4 strokes, street bike guys call it trail braking.
11/19/2015 6:43pm
Schipwreck wrote:
Iv'e also heard a lot of talk over the years about 2 stroke lines of the past being different than 4 stroke lines we see today...
bsharkey wrote:
I think that's because of the power and torque difference. you don't see 2 stroke guys chopping corners like 4 stroke idiots. nothing pisses me off...
I think that's because of the power and torque difference. you don't see 2 stroke guys chopping corners like 4 stroke idiots. nothing pisses me off more than the many guys I see who comes in, stop, gets back on the gas and ruins a nice corner 9thery basically square up a corner that doesn't need to be)because the bike is so good it doesn't take any technique to go thru corners right. take those same guys and put them on 2 strokes and its like watching the beginner class at Friday night ax race. I ride both types of bikes so its not a 4 stroke vs 2 stroke thing ether
Couldnt of said it better!
Tim507
11/19/2015 7:47pm
Frodad78 wrote:

4 stroke you carry a higher gear so engine braking is less of an issue
2 stroke you carry a lower gear and more throttle as a higher gear will take you off the pipe....
jeffro503
11/19/2015 8:00pm
Monte Hill ( Justin and Josh's dad ) has a section at his track that is very well known to quite a few of the local NW guys.

It's a great idea and it really helps on corner speed.

Top of a hill coming down the track ( engine off , just coasting ) , you would gain a lot of speed and try to coast through as many corners as you could , plus the small straits and at the end of the run try to beat your last mark where you stopped before. It teaches you to carry your momentum better , and carry your body weight to be able to hit corners fast with no gas. Momentum is everything when we talk about corner speed.
11/20/2015 1:11am
jeffro503 wrote:
Monte Hill ( Justin and Josh's dad ) has a section at his track that is very well known to quite a few of the local...
Monte Hill ( Justin and Josh's dad ) has a section at his track that is very well known to quite a few of the local NW guys.

It's a great idea and it really helps on corner speed.

Top of a hill coming down the track ( engine off , just coasting ) , you would gain a lot of speed and try to coast through as many corners as you could , plus the small straits and at the end of the run try to beat your last mark where you stopped before. It teaches you to carry your momentum better , and carry your body weight to be able to hit corners fast with no gas. Momentum is everything when we talk about corner speed.
Perhaps that is what Dubach is about, do it in practice to learn to hit the right speed / lean angle? Top riders are always in contact with the brakes in corners. Then again you never know what they really do with it. But I think he is not talking about that kind of coasting what we think it's coasting like someone said here before...it's more like "(insert bike noise)"

Post a reply to: Cornering Technique 2 stroke vs 4 stroke

The Latest