Cooper Webb to Star Valli Yamaha

GuyB
Fantasy
988th
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 1:11am
Cooper Webb to Star Valli Yamaha
15 Year-Old Amateur Champion Signs Three-Year Amateur to Pro Contract

MOREHEAD CITY, N.C. (November 15, 2011) – Cooper Webb, who at just 15 years of age has amassed 76 amateur national titles has signed a three year contract to race for the Star Valli Yamaha Team with backing from Yamaha Motor Corp., U.S.A.

The unique program assembled by Bobby Regan, of Star Valli Yamaha is designed to take young Cooper through the remainder of his amateur career, and then right into the professional circuit. “Cooper will have the best motorcycles and equipment available,” said Regan. “The experience and resources of our pro team will back him the entire way,” he added.

Cooper will continue racing as an amateur in 2012 with the decision when to turn professional decided by the Webb family and Regan. “Bobby and Yamaha are giving us what we need to successfully conclude Cooper’s amateur racing and take him to the professional ranks through a well-structured plan. I’m excited to take this step toward seeing Cooper’s dreams realized,” said Bob Webb, Cooper’s father.

“I felt great right away on the Star Valli YZ250F, and everyone I have met on the team has been really helpful and professional,” said Cooper. “I am looking forward to Mini O’s.”

Cooper’s first race with the Star Valli Yamaha Team will be the Thor Winter National Olympics Nov. 21 – 26 in Gainesville, Fla.
|
mxcrf34
11/15/2011 6:48am
Good for Cooper. Super nice kid and family. Super Pumped for the Webb's!
Shawn142
11/15/2011 6:51am
Wonder what happened with his KTM deal?
From what I've read it was a one-off deal for just the MEC.
moore433
11/15/2011 6:56am
Wonder what happened with his KTM deal?
Shawn142 wrote:
From what I've read it was a one-off deal for just the MEC.
I thought I had read that he was on the JGR team now?? Guess not!

The Shop

Shawn142
11/15/2011 7:19am
moore433 wrote:
I thought I had read that he was on the JGR team now?? Guess not!
Well I doubt JGR is going to hold him back from a opportunity to take a ride that will give him a home as a pro. JGR certainly doesn't have a Lites program and probably couldn't promise him anything. Maybe that was the idea when they originally started helping him but now they're locked into JS7 for 3 full years. Webb is looking to turn pro probably next year or the year after.
flarider
11/15/2011 7:24am
I think this is awesome for so many reasons
DL
11/15/2011 7:27am
mxcrf34 wrote:
Good for Cooper. Super nice kid and family. Super Pumped for the Webb's!
X2........ Cooper deserves the help.
MtnBoy
11/15/2011 7:30am
Does this mean he won't have his Red Bull sponsorship anymore?
Sandberm
11/15/2011 7:37am
He must have forgot to check with the K. Partridge Agency first.
therealjonon
11/15/2011 7:40am
very cool. i like how these guys are grabbing some of the young talent early..good for our sport. i hope to see more in the future.
AbouttheRide
Fantasy
2914th
11/15/2011 8:45am
I like this move and have a feeling it does'nt exactly eliminate JGR in the future. I mean I know its a long shot but him riding Yamahas in the lites with the Star program would sure make a smooth transition in a few years to the JGR team on the big bikes.
ML512
Fantasy
45th
11/15/2011 9:12am
Star has one more rider they are starting to help in the amateurs too... idk when they will announce that one though... The kid is switching from B to A class, might even see him at mini o's on his new yamaha (he was on a different brand this whole year)
BESTY #72
11/15/2011 10:40am
The kid kinda seams a bit of a dick. I mean, he screwed JGR over a bit. It's like "hey I'm sponsored by JGR, who ride YAMAHA!! But I'm going to ride everything but that. Even when they give me a Yamaha 250f I'll tell them it's shit. Neglect all of their sponsors, run the weirdest gear set ever (Thor, Smith, TCX and a weird evs armour, like wtf). Then, when they finally have a rider/ potential back up team sponsor, sponsored by my main sponsor, I'll drop them for a combined team, that wear all Scott, ride Yamaha's and drink either DNA or Rockstar-(guessing it'll be an all out rockstar effort with one team down and Deegan wanting in..) just to mix it up.

Just seams stupid to me. I mean, don't get wrong. I'd jump at this oppertunity, but if you were already sponsored by a team who's effort for amatuers is ridiculously big and already ride Yamaha's why would you drop them?

Before you reply with Shut the F$%^ up, just think to yourself:

JGR bike or Valli/ Star?
Multiple private test tracks at your disposle-a majority of which are on your doorstep or just the one in cali?
Stroupe as a rider to train with or James Stewart?

And, sponsor wise? Neglect a team for red bull for like, ever. The drop red bull to go for a lower team?

He talks like he's the next top kid, why would you be scared for the future (if thats why?) You have Red bull and even KTM chucking stuff at you (possibly the collest 85 i've seen), had JGR-(the most advanced bikes), rode Honda's-(Gieco? I know they have other guys; bell and bisceglia but still), Thor-(pro circuit? obvs theres adam c, but again..).

Just seams a weird choice. I ride Yamaha's and of the teams he could of got a deal with, this is a weird choice.
sc961
11/15/2011 10:45am
Not sure Besty, but the Webb's may be working with more inside detail than you or we have.
bobby397
11/15/2011 10:53am Edited Date/Time 11/15/2011 10:54am
BESTY #72 wrote:
The kid kinda seams a bit of a dick. I mean, he screwed JGR over a bit. It's like "hey I'm sponsored by JGR, who ride...
The kid kinda seams a bit of a dick. I mean, he screwed JGR over a bit. It's like "hey I'm sponsored by JGR, who ride YAMAHA!! But I'm going to ride everything but that. Even when they give me a Yamaha 250f I'll tell them it's shit. Neglect all of their sponsors, run the weirdest gear set ever (Thor, Smith, TCX and a weird evs armour, like wtf). Then, when they finally have a rider/ potential back up team sponsor, sponsored by my main sponsor, I'll drop them for a combined team, that wear all Scott, ride Yamaha's and drink either DNA or Rockstar-(guessing it'll be an all out rockstar effort with one team down and Deegan wanting in..) just to mix it up.

Just seams stupid to me. I mean, don't get wrong. I'd jump at this oppertunity, but if you were already sponsored by a team who's effort for amatuers is ridiculously big and already ride Yamaha's why would you drop them?

JGR bike or Valli/ Star?
Multiple private test tracks at your disposle-a majority of which are on your doorstep or just the one in cali?

And, sponsor wise? Neglect a team for red bull for like, ever. The drop red bull to go for a lower team?

He talks like he's the next top kid, why would you be scared for the future (if thats why?) You have Red bull and even KTM chucking stuff at you (possibly the collest 85 i've seen), had JGR-(the most advanced bikes), rode Honda's-(Gieco? I know they have other guys; bell and bisceglia but still), Thor-(pro circuit? obvs theres adam c, but again..).

Just seams a weird choice. I ride Yamaha's and of the teams he could of got a deal with, this is a weird choice.
How do you jgr wanted to give him a Yamaha? I'm sure he was contracted threw Honda , redbull, and Thor so he may not had a choice. Also, jgr's focus seems to be the 450 class and assuming Webb is going pro within 2 years, I think he made the best choice in locking in a pro ride now and not worrying about it then. Atleast he isn't homeschooled ....
mxb2
11/15/2011 10:56am
cool , my buddy Matt is gonna be his mechanic, good news.
ML512
Fantasy
45th
11/15/2011 11:07am Edited Date/Time 11/15/2011 11:12am
BESTY #72 wrote:
The kid kinda seams a bit of a dick. I mean, he screwed JGR over a bit. It's like "hey I'm sponsored by JGR, who ride...

JGR bike or Valli/ Star?

Wow... you need to take a look from the other side. Right now JGR does not have a 250F team (yes it might have happened by the time he turned pro but even Coy said in an interview around Ponca time he didn't know how long it was going to be till they could run that kind of effort. He talked about wanting to, but there are multiple factors A. Star is the factory effort on the 250s, JGR isn't and yamaha isn't as keen to helping JGR with a 250 side since they already have star. B. Star is a guaranteed program for him to turn pro.) Bell went to FC after riding with JGR all season too... I think JGR can run an amazing 250 effort but right now it doesn't look that plausible. They just spent allot on james and davi, they lost muscle milk, shift, etnies, ect... What does it matter what gear combo cooper runs? Its the amateurs these kids look for all the help they can get. i've seen weirder combos than that. Right now a guaranteed ride in the pros is better than a maybe. Right now Star is got their ducks in a row and are spending they have Cooper and they will have another amateur soon to be signed (as i mentioned above) And also your thoughts on who would hire him based on his sponsors... FC (geico) has only signed one kid that was already on a honda (barcia) tomac was on suzuki's when they hired him, bell on kawi's (JGR backed, PC forever before that) Wharton on ktms? suzukis before that? Canard on Kawi's, Biscgelia on yamaha's. Bogle also on kawi's...
Bry745
11/15/2011 11:10am
BESTY #72 wrote:

JGR bike or Valli/ Star?

SEAM
noun
the line formed by sewing together pieces of cloth, leather, or the like.
the stitches used to make such a line.
any line formed by abutting edges.
any linear indentation or mark, as a wrinkle or scar.

SEEM
verb (used without object)
to appear to be, feel, do, etc.: She seems better this morning.
to appear to one's own senses, mind, observation, judgment, etc.: It seems to me that someone is calling.
to appear to exist: There seems no need to go now.
to appear to be true, probable, or evident: It seems likely to rain.
ML512
Fantasy
45th
11/15/2011 11:13am
BESTY #72 wrote:

JGR bike or Valli/ Star?

Bry745 wrote:
[b][i]SEAM[/i][/b] noun 1. the line formed by sewing together pieces of cloth, leather, or the like. 2. the stitches used to make such a line. 3...
SEAM
noun
the line formed by sewing together pieces of cloth, leather, or the like.
the stitches used to make such a line.
any line formed by abutting edges.
any linear indentation or mark, as a wrinkle or scar.

SEEM
verb (used without object)
to appear to be, feel, do, etc.: She seems better this morning.
to appear to one's own senses, mind, observation, judgment, etc.: It seems to me that someone is calling.
to appear to exist: There seems no need to go now.
to appear to be true, probable, or evident: It seems likely to rain.
Facts will not helps this one... IMO...
mxer146
11/15/2011 11:47am
mxb2 wrote:
cool , my buddy Matt is gonna be his mechanic, good news.
Good for him. He's been busting his ass for awhile trying to get a good gig.
11/15/2011 12:13pm Edited Date/Time 11/15/2011 12:21pm
Not even sure where to start with this one but here goes:

The kid kinda seams a bit of a dick. I mean, he screwed JGR over a bit. How much time have you spent around Cooper? I have known the kid since he started on a PW50, watched him grow into one of the top kids in the country and I can tell you the word "DICK" to describe him could not be further from the truth. He is one of the most down to earth kids you will ever meet in your life.

It's like "hey I'm sponsored by JGR, who ride YAMAHA!! But I'm going to ride everything but that.

Cooper was under contract to Honda when he started using JGR. JGR knew that and chose to work with him knowing that. JGR has retail operations on motors and suspension for all brands and Cooper was one of the top kids promoting that business for them.

Neglect all of their sponsors, run the weirdest gear set ever (Thor, Smith, TCX and a weird evs armour, like wtf).

Cooper has been on running Thor gear and Oxtar boots for the last 5 or 6 years. What makes you think JGR even wanted him to run their gear or boots? They were not giving him bikes. He was just using their suspension and motors. I don't know of a single rider who lets their engine or suspension guys dictate what they run for gear or boots.

I think JGR has a great thing going with their stuff, but how do you see their efforts for amateurs as ridiculously big? Are they providing motorcycles for anyone? I don't know of anyone if they are. They are currently just an engine/suspension shop on the amateur side. I don't know the details, but I would guess had JGR offered bikes and support for the next three years and a guaranteed ride in the pros for a factory supported team, to the Webb's who will need the support to compete at that level, they probably would have considered it. I don't know that JGR has made that offer to any amateurs.

First of all, I have never, not even once, heard Cooper claim to be the next big thing. It isn't how he talks. I would hope after 70+ titles he would be confident and I would hope he would think he has the capability to be the next big thing, but I have never heard it come out of his mouth.

Second, while you may see Star as a lower team, outside of PC, and Geico, they are probably the best lites team out there. Some would even consider the efforts of Bobby Regan at Star to be very close to on par with those two. That would make the opportunity to have Star and Yamaha through the end of his amateur career and a Star ride guaranteed for the pros a complete no brainer. Geico chose Bell and Bisceglia, both great pics, PC made Adam their first ever long term amateur to pro contract rider. I'm guessing that Cooper was considered for both of these rides but don't underestimate the quality of the Star ride and their bikes.

I think this is a great decision for all parties involved!!!

Mike Burkeen
jndmx
11/15/2011 12:27pm
Seems to me like a good choice career wise.

Much like Canard was at Geico/FC Honda on 250s and then up the team Honda for the 450.

In this case since the factory model is shifting;
A smaller but still well run outfit like Valli as a start for 250 then moving later to a JGR or other factory level team for the 450's
Less pressure and a little time to grow and get used to the level of competition.

As far as Cooper goes I had a chance to meet him and his folks at Atlanta SX in 08 and they all were nice down to earth folks.
ML512
Fantasy
45th
11/15/2011 1:04pm
SlowOldGuy wrote:
Not even sure where to start with this one but here goes: [u][i][b]The kid kinda seams a bit of a dick. I mean, he screwed JGR...

The kid kinda seams a bit of a dick. I mean, he screwed JGR over a bit. How much time have you spent around Cooper? I have known the kid since he started on a PW50, watched him grow into one of the top kids in the country and I can tell you the word "DICK" to describe him could not be further from the truth. He is one of the most down to earth kids you will ever meet in your life.

It's like "hey I'm sponsored by JGR, who ride YAMAHA!! But I'm going to ride everything but that.

Cooper was under contract to Honda when he started using JGR. JGR knew that and chose to work with him knowing that. JGR has retail operations on motors and suspension for all brands and Cooper was one of the top kids promoting that business for them.

Neglect all of their sponsors, run the weirdest gear set ever (Thor, Smith, TCX and a weird evs armour, like wtf).

Cooper has been on running Thor gear and Oxtar boots for the last 5 or 6 years. What makes you think JGR even wanted him to run their gear or boots? They were not giving him bikes. He was just using their suspension and motors. I don't know of a single rider who lets their engine or suspension guys dictate what they run for gear or boots.

I think JGR has a great thing going with their stuff, but how do you see their efforts for amateurs as ridiculously big? Are they providing motorcycles for anyone? I don't know of anyone if they are. They are currently just an engine/suspension shop on the amateur side. I don't know the details, but I would guess had JGR offered bikes and support for the next three years and a guaranteed ride in the pros for a factory supported team, to the Webb's who will need the support to compete at that level, they probably would have considered it. I don't know that JGR has made that offer to any amateurs.

First of all, I have never, not even once, heard Cooper claim to be the next big thing. It isn't how he talks. I would hope after 70+ titles he would be confident and I would hope he would think he has the capability to be the next big thing, but I have never heard it come out of his mouth.

Second, while you may see Star as a lower team, outside of PC, and Geico, they are probably the best lites team out there. Some would even consider the efforts of Bobby Regan at Star to be very close to on par with those two. That would make the opportunity to have Star and Yamaha through the end of his amateur career and a Star ride guaranteed for the pros a complete no brainer. Geico chose Bell and Bisceglia, both great pics, PC made Adam their first ever long term amateur to pro contract rider. I'm guessing that Cooper was considered for both of these rides but don't underestimate the quality of the Star ride and their bikes.

Mike Burkeen
X2 Amen...
mx184
11/15/2011 1:17pm
Well said Mike. Coop is a great kid who deserves the support. It just floors me that people on here that think they are hardcore Motocross people, don't follow the up and coming kids.
mtl
11/15/2011 1:18pm
The first thing I thought of was if Valli will be around in 3 years, the second worry would be the revolving door of riders that have gone through there.
j100
11/15/2011 3:07pm
BESTY #72 wrote:

JGR bike or Valli/ Star?

please load your crack pipe to the top and take another large toke.
11/15/2011 3:13pm Edited Date/Time 11/15/2011 3:13pm
SlowOldGuy wrote:
Not even sure where to start with this one but here goes: [u][i][b]The kid kinda seams a bit of a dick. I mean, he screwed JGR...

Mike Burkeen
^^^^This

Congrats to Cooper and his family. Seem like some great people.

Post a reply to: Cooper Webb to Star Valli Yamaha

The Latest