Concreate Cleaner

buggz
Edited Date/Time 1/25/2012 2:53pm
What is the best concreate cleaner you have used? And where do you get it? I have been using my pressure washer 1800psi but still not getting of all the stains (oil,grease,old tire marks,dog drippings) tried simple green and some chem search concreate cleaner and they did an OK job but some of the harder stuff is still there. I know their are some acids out there but I do not want to etch the surface.

Thanks
|
newmann
6/7/2010 7:10am
Be very careful with any acid based cleaners. You can really leave some divits with the wrong choice. I got some specific concrete cleaner/degreaser from a local company that makes their own stuff. Worked pretty good by itself but when I started pressure washing, it was no better than pressure washing by itself. I have a 4000 psi Honda powered washer and one of the push mower looking cement cleaners. That thing works great for large areas. Similar to the orange one.

txmxer
6/7/2010 7:13am
newmann wrote:
Be very careful with any acid based cleaners. You can really leave some divits with the wrong choice. I got some specific concrete cleaner/degreaser from a...
Be very careful with any acid based cleaners. You can really leave some divits with the wrong choice. I got some specific concrete cleaner/degreaser from a local company that makes their own stuff. Worked pretty good by itself but when I started pressure washing, it was no better than pressure washing by itself. I have a 4000 psi Honda powered washer and one of the push mower looking cement cleaners. That thing works great for large areas. Similar to the orange one.

I would be ashamed to have one of those in my shop. Too fancy for MX. You are most certainly a poser.

Wink

Translation:
You have all the best toys. I'm jealous.

I would be very careful using acid on concrete. It will etch the concrete and could result in long term deterioration of the surface.

The Shop

newmann
6/7/2010 7:14am
DirtDgr wrote:
Muratic acid.
That will etch away the cement in a bad way. Removes the stain by removing the cement. Learned that the hard way.
newmann
6/7/2010 7:19am Edited Date/Time 6/7/2010 7:20am
txmxer wrote:
I would be ashamed to have one of those in my shop. Too fancy for MX. You are most certainly a poser. ;) Translation: You have...
I would be ashamed to have one of those in my shop. Too fancy for MX. You are most certainly a poser.

Wink

Translation:

I would be very careful using acid on concrete. It will etch the concrete and could result in long term deterioration of the surface.
Too funny! Only reason I bought that crap was because I tried to get bids to get my house and business pressure washed. No one wanted to bid it. The one bid I got was through the roof. By the time I paid a couple of my employees to clean the building and parking lot at work and I spent the weekend cleaning everything at home it was like getting all the equipment for free. Pressure washer, swirly machine and a 16ft. extension pole wand.
Racer92
6/7/2010 7:22am
txmxer wrote:
I would be ashamed to have one of those in my shop. Too fancy for MX. You are most certainly a poser. ;) Translation: You have...

Wink

Translation:

Thats what I was thinking, Neumann has some cool stuff ! My ole Karcher sprayer cant hang with those nice units.
RACEGUY
6/7/2010 7:49am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 11:21pm
Just a caveat on the pressure washer thing...

When it comes to oil-downs, (I have no idea about the dog poop deal), hit the area with a good detergent/surfactant first. Believe it or not, Dawn dishwashing detergent, or a shampoo formulated for oily hair have exactly the properties you need. These products will bind wtih the oil and draw it out of the pores in the concrete.

You are actually hurting your cause rather than helping it by hitting an oil stain on concrete with a high-pressure washer. The powerful water jet actually drives the oil down into the surface of the floor leaving a stain that's almost impossible to wash out.

BTW, buggz...if the product is labeled "concreate" cleaner, I'd stay away from it.Whistling
Boxvan446
6/7/2010 8:22am Edited Date/Time 6/7/2010 8:24am
I sell a product called "orange peel" made by Conspec (if you look it up online look up "Dayton Superior") It's the parent company to Conspec. It's a citrus based cleaner and works well. It also has better results when scrubed in the surface. You can also look into a Euclid product called "Clean and Strip." Both products are expensive, but work well, the Orange Peel runs about $175/5 gal and the Clean and Strip is about $245/5 gal. You can use Muratic Acid as a last resort. Just be careful with it. A 10/1 ratio with water should be sufficient. Any stronger, can result in serious problems. Also keep some baking soda around so you can nutralize the acid and just rinse it into the grass without killing it. Any local ready-mix concrete company should have other similar products that work also. The products I listed work well in our market (WI). You should be able to take most of the stains off without a pressure washer when using a quality cleaner.
ando
6/7/2010 11:17am
If you're serious about getting rid of the stains properly, acid etching is the only way to go. Although afterwards it really is best to treat the surface with concrete paint or other surface treatment - epoxy is best.
CamP
6/7/2010 11:54am Edited Date/Time 6/7/2010 12:03pm
DirtDgr wrote:
Muratic acid.
newmann wrote:
That will etch away the cement in a bad way. Removes the stain by removing the cement. Learned that the hard way.
When acid washing concrete, you should water down the Muratic acid 4:1, or more. When diluting acids, always add the acid to the water and not vice versa. You must work fast with a stiff broom and quickly rinse with water to stop the etching.
dynomike
6/7/2010 12:16pm Edited Date/Time 6/7/2010 12:19pm
Sure Clean 600 should do it, it does have some acid in it but mostly its a detergent its safe for cleaning colored grouts in tile so no etching should happen , just be careful around stainless steel it could discolor. You can get it at most concrete plants.
MX45
6/7/2010 12:21pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 11:21pm
My dad told me to try this. I havnt gotten around to it yet though. Let me know how it works Smile

1. Mix Trisodium Phosphate (TSP) and an absorbent material like talc or baby powder to make a smooth paste

2. Apply this paste to the stain. The cleaner will slowly soak into the concrete and break up the stain.

3. Once the paste is completely dry, scrape it off with a pallet knife and sweep it away.

4. Scrub the area with a nylon brush and hose off the area. If the stain is deep you may need to try 2-3 applications.

You can get TSP is most hardware stores. Usually by the paint.
Tiki
Fantasy
1695th
6/7/2010 1:03pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 11:21pm
MX45 wrote:
My dad told me to try this. I havnt gotten around to it yet though. Let me know how it works 1. Mix Trisodium Phosphate (TSP)...
My dad told me to try this. I havnt gotten around to it yet though. Let me know how it works Smile

1. Mix Trisodium Phosphate (TSP) and an absorbent material like talc or baby powder to make a smooth paste

2. Apply this paste to the stain. The cleaner will slowly soak into the concrete and break up the stain.

3. Once the paste is completely dry, scrape it off with a pallet knife and sweep it away.

4. Scrub the area with a nylon brush and hose off the area. If the stain is deep you may need to try 2-3 applications.

You can get TSP is most hardware stores. Usually by the paint.
TSP is also available at Kmart, Smart and Final, Grocery store. But if you want the concrete to look brand new again - My friend's SGT will do it in record time.

Post a reply to: Concreate Cleaner

The Latest