Clavicle Surgery -Update

Tacha
Edited Date/Time 10/29/2017 10:31pm
I took a bad fall out riding on Thursday and fractured my right clavicle. My doctor recommended surgery with the type of break i have (the bones are overlapping and their not touching with a pretty big gap between). Being scared, i opted not to at the time. I was sent home with option B. a brace in hopes that it would help pull my bones closer so that it can start to heal. He wasn't convinced it would and told me that i would likely be in surgery this Thursday. Over the weekend, after hearing others opinions, i decided to go for the surgery because, 1. i want it to heal faster/better and 2. i will be riding again and think that with plates/screws, it would be more solid and stronger than not.
My question is, is it safer or better to have the plates or am i better off without them? i read that it is dangerous if you fall after with the plates/screws in, is that true?
I'm in alot of pain and on morphine, i just want it to be done with so i can start healing and riding soon.
Thanks!
Natacha

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nov. 2013
I thought I’d pop in here and give an update to my story. I initially broke my right clavicle last May, its been five months and unfortunately my healing process hasn’t been a very good one.
I had surgery (hurt like hell!) arm brace for two weeks, started physio, had ZERO pain, pushed myself too fast + made the mistake of picking up a little toddler and the screws started loosening a few weeks after surgery. After my doc. appoint I had to wear an arm brace for another six weeks in hopes that it would heal enough so my doctor wouldn’t have to go back in and install another plate. During the six weeks the plate continued to lift and in doing so deformed my bone. When my doc opened me back up in late August he saw that the bone was healed enough and just removed the plate (which was what I wanted at the time). Over the coming weeks the bone continued to protrude my skin, my shoulder was slumped once again and was shortened, It looked worse than when I first broke it. On my next appointment my doctor scheduled me in for surgery again on Oct. 9th, this time he installed a longer plate with 8 screws. It’s now week 3 and everything is looking good. I found it interesting how the first time it hurt like hell but with each surgery it became less and less painful. He told me it would be better to keep the plate in this time because my bone has too many holes in it, it would be left weakened and would likely fracture more easily the next time I fell.
What I’ve come to learn in the long process is that each person heals differently, I pushed myself too quickly and paid for it. This time around, no physio, and I’m still in an arm brace for four more weeks until I see my doctor again.
I’ve learned so much from this, and I’ve come a long way from the girl who was terrified of having surgery last May.
Of course it sucked watching friends and family go out riding this summer while I was stuck behind, even friends that broke their clavicles were back out riding before me but I wish I would have been more patient in the beginning, at least I would have been riding right now. I still have lots of work once I’m healed to get muscle and range back but I’m looking forward to riding next season! Smile

first plate progress:

After they removed the first plate:

What it looked like:

New plate:

|
tombugg
5/27/2013 2:02pm
I had my right clavicle done 9 yrs ago with a plate and 8 screws. I still have it in and am terrified to take another fall with the hardware still in... I want to go back in and take it out. I could imagine a fall with it in would do some incredible damage. The pain after that surgery is gnarly..

Hang in there.
Bigbarn14
5/27/2013 2:10pm Edited Date/Time 5/27/2013 2:30pm
Had mine done 3 years ago. Plate and 10 screws due to a "Z Break" which is what you are describing. Pretty tough first week after surgery. I was back on the bike 6 weeks later to test it out and back putting in motos 8 weeks out. Still have the hardware no reason to go through the same surgery to remove the plate. Good luck. Get someone good to do it.
staycasted
5/27/2013 2:20pm
Tacha wrote:
I took a bad fall out riding on Thursday and fractured my right clavicle. My doctor recommended surgery with the type of break i have (the...
I took a bad fall out riding on Thursday and fractured my right clavicle. My doctor recommended surgery with the type of break i have (the bones are overlapping and their not touching with a pretty big gap between). Being scared, i opted not to at the time. I was sent home with option B. a brace in hopes that it would help pull my bones closer so that it can start to heal. He wasn't convinced it would and told me that i would likely be in surgery this Thursday. Over the weekend, after hearing others opinions, i decided to go for the surgery because, 1. i want it to heal faster/better and 2. i will be riding again and think that with plates/screws, it would be more solid and stronger than not.
My question is, is it safer or better to have the plates or am i better off without them? i read that it is dangerous if you fall after with the plates/screws in, is that true?
I'm in alot of pain and on morphine, i just want it to be done with so i can start healing and riding soon.
Thanks!
Natacha

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nov. 2013
I thought I’d pop in here and give an update to my story. I initially broke my right clavicle last May, its been five months and unfortunately my healing process hasn’t been a very good one.
I had surgery (hurt like hell!) arm brace for two weeks, started physio, had ZERO pain, pushed myself too fast + made the mistake of picking up a little toddler and the screws started loosening a few weeks after surgery. After my doc. appoint I had to wear an arm brace for another six weeks in hopes that it would heal enough so my doctor wouldn’t have to go back in and install another plate. During the six weeks the plate continued to lift and in doing so deformed my bone. When my doc opened me back up in late August he saw that the bone was healed enough and just removed the plate (which was what I wanted at the time). Over the coming weeks the bone continued to protrude my skin, my shoulder was slumped once again and was shortened, It looked worse than when I first broke it. On my next appointment my doctor scheduled me in for surgery again on Oct. 9th, this time he installed a longer plate with 8 screws. It’s now week 3 and everything is looking good. I found it interesting how the first time it hurt like hell but with each surgery it became less and less painful. He told me it would be better to keep the plate in this time because my bone has too many holes in it, it would be left weakened and would likely fracture more easily the next time I fell.
What I’ve come to learn in the long process is that each person heals differently, I pushed myself too quickly and paid for it. This time around, no physio, and I’m still in an arm brace for four more weeks until I see my doctor again.
I’ve learned so much from this, and I’ve come a long way from the girl who was terrified of having surgery last May.
Of course it sucked watching friends and family go out riding this summer while I was stuck behind, even friends that broke their clavicles were back out riding before me but I wish I would have been more patient in the beginning, at least I would have been riding right now. I still have lots of work once I’m healed to get muscle and range back but I’m looking forward to riding next season! Smile

first plate progress:

After they removed the first plate:

What it looked like:

New plate:

Had a similar break ten years ago .. Had a rod put through my clavicle to hold together for 2 months. After healed they pull rod out. Mt Sinai hospital in manhattan.
yamadogyz
5/27/2013 2:32pm
Get the surgery and get it done right. I have plate and screws in both arms, 3 plates, 22 screws and a pin in there from January. You have to fall hard to mess something up again but remember, you always have the option to remove them in a few months. I took a nasty spill riding yesterday right on an elbow with a few screws and I didn't notice anything. Don't be afraid of surgery and the what ifs, get it done right, and if your still scared get it out. Busted clavicals are not a big deal anyhow.

The Shop

5/27/2013 2:35pm
Had the same op about 12 weeks ago. Broken clavicle and collapsed lung. I could of ridden after about 8 weeks but was not in a rush. Anyway I went for a ride this past weekend and my shoulder was pretty sore after. The worst part about having a plate and screws in your clavicle is that it is so close to the skin, and when wearing a roost protector it rubs against it and also gets pretty painful. I would hate to fall on the shoulder again, but if I keep riding it will just be a matter of time.
A friend also had a plate in his clavicle and had a bad crash and the bone broke where the plate ended, needless to say it was pretty painful for him.
5/27/2013 2:57pm
Broke mine in 2007 original shithole hospital said no surgery needed. Went to another Ortho Doc who's x rays showed 4 breaks. Being a professional Drummer I wanted it fixed correctly
1 decent sized plate & 12 screws later it's perfect. I've soil sampled many times since with no issues.
It's tender if u push on it but that's it.
Get it done right.
mxrose3
Fantasy
1046th
5/27/2013 3:13pm
I had the same thing happen a long time ago. I let mine heal by itself, but I was off the bike for 3 and a half months while it eventually healed into a knot. I've probably got the strongest collarbone going right about now, but its noticible, and it aches when the weather is bad.
Bytor
5/27/2013 3:20pm Edited Date/Time 5/27/2013 3:21pm
I wish they did surgery on mine back in the day. Probably one of the worst pains if it gets even dinged by a q-tip. I have broken the right one 3 times and te left 5. So maybe the metal would have to come out.
crusher773
5/27/2013 3:21pm
I had mine done way back in '99. I've never even thought twice about it. I've taken many falls on that shoulder and never had an issue. Just go with it and don't worry about it.
mxjeff575
5/27/2013 5:18pm
Go to Thumpertalk's health & fitness forum and search. I had mine plated in 2007. Much better to be anatomically straight then to heal with a should 1/2" or more out of place. My x-ray had a big gap and the bones at some crazy angle and my doctor says "a big ball of calcium will glob that back together". Left there and found another doctor who would do surgery on it. So glad i did not let it heal crooked. Good luck.
Trauma
5/27/2013 6:49pm
I had the same sort of break in 2002, never got the (optional) surgery, the bones healed overlapped. I kinda regret it because my left shoulder is visibly tighter into my chest, collar bone probably about 20mm shorter now. I never had any sort of brace, just went home with a sling on. But it has healed strong.
Walter
5/27/2013 7:35pm
25+ years ago I had a bad dirt bike crash in the desert and broke the left clav. I had a non-union and had to get a plate and 7 screws after a time.

Since then I have crashed dirt bikes, mountain bikes, road bikes, and a variety of race cars breaking the left humerus, separating the left shoulder, breaking the left scapula, and picking up several cervical and thoracic spine fractures (some would call me crash-prone)...and had no issues with the plate.

More and more good ortho MDs are going to hardware: sometimes it is good to remove, sometimes it is not (usually due to small areas of bone the screws went into and the desire not to weaken that area by removing it).
Boarddesign
Fantasy
2035th
5/27/2013 7:49pm
With guys like Dungey and Trey breaking them only to ride a few weeks later, what took you all so long to heal and rise again? Just asking, a friend broke his today and still wants to make LL's regional in two weeks.. Possible? (Young kid)
JeepnMike
5/27/2013 7:58pm
Pretty much anybody who has actually raced has broken a clavicle so you will have a lot of first hand advice here. I broke mine in two places and the bone "in-between" was almost compound and kind of going the wrong direction (straight out). I was surprised surgery wasn't recommended for mine and I also have this monstrous strong ball of collarbone now. I don't have any physical limitation from going the "just leave it" method. I will say the pain from my broken clavicle was right there with my broken femur, that sucked. Trying to sleep with a broken clavicle sucks, wearing that sling to spread your collarbone for 2 months sucks too. If you weigh in how much NOT having surgery sucks, you may wish you did listen to the doctor.
Moto_Geek
Fantasy
1464th
5/27/2013 8:05pm
I had to start downhill mountain biking to break mine. I was glad they did the plate and screws on mine. I did not have the pain you all describe and is was separated pretty far. After surgery, I think I slept in a recliner for about 3-4 nights and after that everything was fine. I highly recommend this so you can still sleep good if you a side sleeper like me normally. The surgery will prevent you getting an ugly lump on your shoulder and will heal straight. I felt like I could ride after a week and took a pain med maybe the first day after surgery and nothing after that. Guess I never thought about the fall again. I'm a bigger guy so don't even see or really feel the plate. The only real reason you really should need to worry about removal is if it rubs on the plate/skin say wearing a back pack and it hurts. I just renewed my insurance and it was interesting that they specifically list they will not cover a removal procedure of the plate. I was relieved to hear I could get the surgery as the other method is a long pain healing process and most people don't like the lump of bone left over after healing which doesn't happen in plating.
5/27/2013 8:27pm
I have broken both sides badly, one was left to heal on its own, the other I had plated. If I had it to do over again, i would get the plate every time. The lump side looks ridiculous not to mention I wonder at times if that shoulder is not aligned right now. If you are in a sport like MX, the pain should be no big deal from the surgery. Good luck!
captmoto
5/27/2013 9:47pm
The plate heals way faster and is anatomically correct. You can have the steel removed after a year.
Tacha
5/27/2013 10:20pm
Thanks guys. Smile
My brother broke his a couple years back after a fall so when I went to the hospital I was anticipating a sling for a couple weeks like him. Until the xrays came back and they sent me home with morphine and asked me to return the next morning to see an orthopedic surgeon. It took me a couple hours to absorb the idea of going under, I’ve never had surgery before and am not a huge fan, but as my doctor said, if it heals which he’s pretty convinced its not going to without surgery due to the gap between the break it will leave a bump/malformation, or go with surgery and have a scar. Either way, not very flattering for a girl, but, hey. Right now my shoulder is lower and slumped forward, despite the brace. It’s difficult to pull back because of the pain but I try to. And sleeping is very difficult, lol, I move a lot when I sleep and I always sleep on my stomach, now I’m restricted to sleeping on my back, and it’s painful because my ribs and hip are both bruised on my right side as well.
When I return to the hospital on Wednesday, I’m going to advise him I want the surgery instead, which he said I would be going in for the very next day on Thursday. I’ll try not and think about falling with it in, but I will definitely ask him what he thinks or recommends keeping it in or possibly removing it since I will be riding again, but I feel less afraid after hearing that there are others out there riding with plates. Again thanks for easing my worries by sharing your experiences with me.
bvm111
5/27/2013 10:31pm
You will be fine, for sure get the surgery done... And I thought chicks dig scars!!!!
Tacha
5/27/2013 10:38pm
bvm111 wrote:
You will be fine, for sure get the surgery done... And I thought chicks dig scars!!!!
thanks, lol and they do, just not on themselves, ha ha
Gebken40
5/28/2013 5:55am
I had mine plated and screwed over in 2011 and when i woke up from surgery i was in the most pain i have ever been in. It was much better afterwards though due to the fact that the bones wouldn't jam into each other every time i sat up or moved. Its a bummer/scary deal for the first time but it wasn't my first surgery so I kinda knew what to expect.

My doctor put the plate and screws on the front side of the bone because I planned to continue riding and being active and he said that i can leave it in as long as it doesnt bother me... its still in there because i dont want to deal with the downtime of having it removed and re-healing and i haven't had a single problem yet.
jasonward73
5/28/2013 8:40am
Broke mine on a Sunday, surgery on Tuesday, and was working on Thursday (desk job). I followed the docs advice and didn't ride for 7 weeks. I didn't have any residual pain from the surgery so i am not sure how mine was different then the people who mentioned it above. Surgery was by far the right call. I had bones everywhere and if left to its own devices it might have healed but I certainly wouldn't have been anatomically sound. I never think about it now. Only time I notice it is when I throw my daughter on my shoulder. Just a mild discomfort if her leg presses down hard on the plate. I also don't carry a shoulder bag on the side.

Jason
Knobbyjake
5/28/2013 9:14am
mxjeff575 wrote:
Go to Thumpertalk's health & fitness forum and search. I had mine plated in 2007. Much better to be anatomically straight then to heal with a...
Go to Thumpertalk's health & fitness forum and search. I had mine plated in 2007. Much better to be anatomically straight then to heal with a should 1/2" or more out of place. My x-ray had a big gap and the bones at some crazy angle and my doctor says "a big ball of calcium will glob that back together". Left there and found another doctor who would do surgery on it. So glad i did not let it heal crooked. Good luck.
^ This. I broke mine in the late 70's and they just used a brace. No trouble with it since but it's out of alignment and I notice it all the time. Wish I could get it done over.
5/28/2013 10:28am
Broke mine in 2002 at 15 years old. I didn't want surgery due to scare factor. However, parents opted for surgery and convinced me it was the best thing to do. Made me want to become a nurse anesthetist. So that killed two birds with one stone! Helped my career choice and fixed my anatomy!

Plate and 6 screws put in. 3 weeks after surgery I was water skiing. 5 weeks after back racing supermini. Haven't had any problems with it since then. Still have the hardware, doesn't bother me so I don't plan on getting the stuff removed.

Good choice with the surgery! My buddy had same type of break you describe, didn't get it fixed now his shoulder is short, gimpy and hanging down and looks wierd.
Tacha
5/28/2013 10:47am
Gebken40 wrote:
I had mine plated and screwed over in 2011 and when i woke up from surgery i was in the most pain i have ever been...
I had mine plated and screwed over in 2011 and when i woke up from surgery i was in the most pain i have ever been in. It was much better afterwards though due to the fact that the bones wouldn't jam into each other every time i sat up or moved. Its a bummer/scary deal for the first time but it wasn't my first surgery so I kinda knew what to expect.

My doctor put the plate and screws on the front side of the bone because I planned to continue riding and being active and he said that i can leave it in as long as it doesnt bother me... its still in there because i dont want to deal with the downtime of having it removed and re-healing and i haven't had a single problem yet.
that's really good to know and i will mention this to him too Smile
Not really looking forward to the pain i'll be in after surgery though........
Tacha
5/28/2013 11:07am
Broke mine in 2002 at 15 years old. I didn't want surgery due to scare factor. However, parents opted for surgery and convinced me it was...
Broke mine in 2002 at 15 years old. I didn't want surgery due to scare factor. However, parents opted for surgery and convinced me it was the best thing to do. Made me want to become a nurse anesthetist. So that killed two birds with one stone! Helped my career choice and fixed my anatomy!

Plate and 6 screws put in. 3 weeks after surgery I was water skiing. 5 weeks after back racing supermini. Haven't had any problems with it since then. Still have the hardware, doesn't bother me so I don't plan on getting the stuff removed.

Good choice with the surgery! My buddy had same type of break you describe, didn't get it fixed now his shoulder is short, gimpy and hanging down and looks wierd.
funny how things that happen to us in life push us into new directions. I think it's awesome.

I work from home, and now i'm pretty much limited to desk work and packaging. My first thought when i fell was seriously, oh shit, i broke something and now i can't work.
But my parents have been doing so much, their really wonderful.
This is what i used to do, when my shoulder was functioning correctly:
Eat Sleep RIDE
Life Behind Bars

The only reason i decided against the surgery in the first place was because of fear. I didn't even weigh the pros or cons. Now after having time to think about it, i want to do it, even if it scares me a little.

I would hate to have a shorter/gimpy shoulder, i think i'd take the scar any day. lol
And it's encouraging to hear that you healed faster, i'm just glad it happened early so i can heal and get back out there while its still summer, Smile
tk568
5/28/2013 1:07pm
i broke my right clavicle 8 months ago and 2 weeks ago both times they sent me out with only a sling
5/28/2013 5:25pm
First broke the right clav in '79. 4-5 weeks with the armpit / velcro brace. Raced again after 8 weeks total time from break. A fair size calcium knot, but no droopy shoulders or limitations. Did it again in '81, and one more time in '95, all of them on the same RH clav. No surgeries. And things look suprisingly good, appearance wise. At 50, I am still pretty active, no problems from the breaks.

My best friend at the time broke his about 2 months after I healed from the first one in '79, screwing around on a Big Wheel pulled behind my 125 Yamaha. Brought him home to my folks house, he took a shower, and I dug out the brace I still had from my first clav injury. Strapped it on him, about 5-6 weeks later we were back doing more crazy, stupid stuff.
reagan
5/28/2013 6:23pm
natural healing is best
PRM31
5/28/2013 6:27pm
Broke and dislocated in left one in ~'78. Just a sling and I was riding again in 4-6 weeks. Fast forward to 2009. Two big breaks on my right clavicle. One doc said to get the plate, but due to some other career related issued I ended up not getting the plate. It took 4 months to heal. The difference, AGE! It still has a 'Z' to it and huts to lay on my right side. Lessons learned: 1) break it when you're young, and 2) get the plate.

Post a reply to: Clavicle Surgery -Update

The Latest