Chick Bike Setup

JW381
12/8/2014 9:43pm
AH! I am totally getting schooled and I love it. I completely understand what it is, just didn't know the term for it. Like I said...
AH! I am totally getting schooled and I love it. I completely understand what it is, just didn't know the term for it.
Like I said I'm still warming myself up to this sport so I don't pin it where I know it's dangerous, I haven't really pushed myself yet just did a little ripping around at the river trails. I definitely have had the front end up easy a few times though, thankfully thought it through enough not to twist the throttle in surprise.
Glad you're loving it, it only becomes more addicting.

I know it seems like you're in control, but all it takes is that time where you get real whiskey throttle and the bike eats you for lunch. Like I said, has nothing to do with the fact that you're a girl, just that you're a beginner. No one on here would suggest learning on a 250 2-stroke.
peelout
12/8/2014 9:44pm
Get a KTM 200, you can thank me later
bronwynrayne
12/8/2014 9:45pm
Tim507 wrote:
Adrenaline junky... awesome.... your in good company! just ride and let the bike push you to the limits. An ill handling bike will teach you more...
Adrenaline junky... awesome.... your in good company! just ride and let the bike push you to the limits. An ill handling bike will teach you more than a perfect setup. Yes soon you will want and need a good suspension setup. For now let the adrenaline flow and have fun.
Yes to getting the manual out and setting up the stock suspension, however save the money for gas to ride. Non of us when we started had extra for the fancy gismos. We rode, made mistake, crashed, broke bones....... but we loved the adrenaline flow so much that we became. addicted.
I like the sounds of that. Old-school commitment. Like the old downhill skiing scene, all good times, who cares what you have to ride on. Shitty equipment makes a better rider kinda like the old adage "A poor tradesman blames his tools."
JW381
12/8/2014 9:46pm
JW381 wrote:
What are your riding goals? Racing MX, riding the woods, just for fun?
I ride in the woods right now and at the river, there's lots of trails around here which are killer and the little scene at the...
I ride in the woods right now and at the river, there's lots of trails around here which are killer and the little scene at the river is nice all of us go out and ride and have a fire, it's pretty relaxed.
I do want to try MX this spring though, there's a huge community for the sport where I live.
I'd suggest a 125 so you can learn to shift properly. That will help a ton on the trails and eventually the track. A 250 4-stroke would be another really good option. Both of those can be setup to be softer and a little shorter, if you feel you need it.

If you wanna keep your current bike, totally understandable. Focus on basic maintenance and jetting setup, and definitely have someone do some basic suspension setup for you. Then just focusing on having fun and not riding over your head while you push your limits.

The Shop

bronwynrayne
12/8/2014 9:54pm
peelout wrote:
Yeah, that bike would probably be a little more manageable. Maybe I can organize a trade.
peelout
12/8/2014 10:01pm
peelout wrote:
Yeah, that bike would probably be a little more manageable. Maybe I can organize a trade.
My buddy's wife has one and it's a perfect fit for her, she's about 5'8 and a beginner to novice rider, she loves it. My dad just got one and he's 160 intermediate rider and he absolutely loves it. You said you like woods, there's not a better bike for you.

Whatever you do, don't let all us morons tell you how to enjoy yourself
JW381
12/8/2014 10:04pm
peelout wrote:
My buddy's wife has one and it's a perfect fit for her, she's about 5'8 and a beginner to novice rider, she loves it. My dad...
My buddy's wife has one and it's a perfect fit for her, she's about 5'8 and a beginner to novice rider, she loves it. My dad just got one and he's 160 intermediate rider and he absolutely loves it. You said you like woods, there's not a better bike for you.

morans*
bronwynrayne
12/8/2014 10:04pm
peelout wrote:
My buddy's wife has one and it's a perfect fit for her, she's about 5'8 and a beginner to novice rider, she loves it. My dad...

I will see if I can find one to ride for a day and if there's a big difference maybe I will downgrade. Mine's actually a 300 so that would be more manageable for sure.
JW381
12/8/2014 10:06pm
A 3hundy, daaaayyyyyuuuuummmmm
bronwynrayne
12/8/2014 10:07pm
JW381 wrote:
I'd suggest a 125 so you can learn to shift properly. That will help a ton on the trails and eventually the track. A 250 4-stroke...
I'd suggest a 125 so you can learn to shift properly. That will help a ton on the trails and eventually the track. A 250 4-stroke would be another really good option. Both of those can be setup to be softer and a little shorter, if you feel you need it.

If you wanna keep your current bike, totally understandable. Focus on basic maintenance and jetting setup, and definitely have someone do some basic suspension setup for you. Then just focusing on having fun and not riding over your head while you push your limits.
Honestly I think the first bike I rode was a 125 and it bored me and was too small for my height, but I never really took it out on a trail ride.

My next move was jetting, I have been doing lots of research on carbs so hopefully I have some time to work on that when I get home. Thanks for all of your advice.
SwapperMX
12/8/2014 10:10pm
Honestly I think the first bike I rode was a 125 and it bored me and was too small for my height, but I never really...
Honestly I think the first bike I rode was a 125 and it bored me and was too small for my height, but I never really took it out on a trail ride.

My next move was jetting, I have been doing lots of research on carbs so hopefully I have some time to work on that when I get home. Thanks for all of your advice.
Are you sure it wasn't a 125cc pitbike that you first rode. Any 125 cc motocrosser will have the same seat height as your 300, but would be considerably lighter.
motokiwi
Fantasy
269th
12/8/2014 10:12pm
2nd step should maybe be to set up the sag on the rear suspension.

Your bike has a pds shock - so research sag for a ktm with pds... its slightly different to all the jap bikes / newer ktms that have a linkage below the rear shock (your pds shock connects straight from frame to swingarm and has no linkage to hang out the bottom and snag on roots etc)
bronwynrayne
12/8/2014 10:17pm
SwapperMX wrote:
Are you sure it wasn't a 125cc pitbike that you first rode. Any 125 cc motocrosser will have the same seat height as your 300, but...
Are you sure it wasn't a 125cc pitbike that you first rode. Any 125 cc motocrosser will have the same seat height as your 300, but would be considerably lighter.
Nope it was definitely smaller than my current bike... Lemme find a photo so y'all can laugh at me.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/305048_…

I know MUCH MUCH better than to ride in anything other than my MX boots now, so please hold the lecture. It's a CRF something, but it was much smaller than my KTM because I could straddle the thing and my feet just touch the ground on mine.
bronwynrayne
12/8/2014 10:19pm
motokiwi wrote:
2nd step should maybe be to set up the sag on the rear suspension. Your bike has a pds shock - so research sag for a...
2nd step should maybe be to set up the sag on the rear suspension.

Your bike has a pds shock - so research sag for a ktm with pds... its slightly different to all the jap bikes / newer ktms that have a linkage below the rear shock (your pds shock connects straight from frame to swingarm and has no linkage to hang out the bottom and snag on roots etc)
I think the manual I got with it has that info in it, like I said I really need the time with the manual and bike in front of me and an afternoon or two to do the adjustments and really understand what I am doing. Thanks for the lesson on the linkage, I didn't understand that.
peelout
12/8/2014 10:22pm
That's like a 230 or 175 or some dumb Japanese bullshit. Keep the 300 and keep riding, amazing bike. I wouldn't trade mine for the world. What's your favorite sandwich to make?
motokiwi
Fantasy
269th
12/8/2014 10:31pm
peelout wrote:
That's like a 230 or 175 or some dumb Japanese bullshit. Keep the 300 and keep riding, amazing bike. I wouldn't trade mine for the world...
That's like a 230 or 175 or some dumb Japanese bullshit. Keep the 300 and keep riding, amazing bike. I wouldn't trade mine for the world. What's your favorite sandwich to make?
Meg might get a run for her money
JW381
12/8/2014 10:34pm
Nope it was definitely smaller than my current bike... Lemme find a photo so y'all can laugh at me. https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/305048_10152466561835492_1683755198_n.jpg?oh=e66ebe78ccb91699859521bef2813920&oe=5502F4FB&__gda__=1427272692_6bb4c77f8e1dd73825e9e241aa628b98 I know MUCH MUCH better than...
Nope it was definitely smaller than my current bike... Lemme find a photo so y'all can laugh at me.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/305048_…

I know MUCH MUCH better than to ride in anything other than my MX boots now, so please hold the lecture. It's a CRF something, but it was much smaller than my KTM because I could straddle the thing and my feet just touch the ground on mine.
That's like a CRF100 or 230. Was probably good to learn on, but not what we're getting at when we say "get a 125". It's all about mixing gas. There's probably an abundance of YZ125s up yonder, check em out. Or keep your 300, but a feisty 125 will probably get you hooked more than you could imagine.

Key tip: ride as much as possible
JW381
12/8/2014 10:35pm
peelout wrote:
That's like a 230 or 175 or some dumb Japanese bullshit. Keep the 300 and keep riding, amazing bike. I wouldn't trade mine for the world...
motokiwi wrote:
Meg might get a run for her money
Peely likes to talk like he could drop Meg any time some new girl comes on at the Blue Iguana, but he knows he can't. They're a beautiful disaster.
bronwynrayne
12/8/2014 10:37pm
peelout wrote:

Knuckle. A knuckle sandwich.
bronwynrayne
12/8/2014 10:40pm
JW381 wrote:
That's like a CRF100 or 230. Was probably good to learn on, but not what we're getting at when we say "get a 125". It's all...
That's like a CRF100 or 230. Was probably good to learn on, but not what we're getting at when we say "get a 125". It's all about mixing gas. There's probably an abundance of YZ125s up yonder, check em out. Or keep your 300, but a feisty 125 will probably get you hooked more than you could imagine.

Key tip: ride as much as possible
K it was a 100 then cause it was not any fun. I will check out a 125 maybe someone has one I can try before I sell this beautiful thing.

Yes will do I have the whole winter off hehe.
mxrose3
Fantasy
1046th
12/8/2014 10:40pm
peelout wrote:
[img]http://replygif.net/i/871.gif[/img] Knuckle. A knuckle sandwich.

bahahaha! nice.....
mxrose3
Fantasy
1046th
12/8/2014 10:41pm Edited Date/Time 12/8/2014 10:41pm
K it was a 100 then cause it was not any fun. I will check out a 125 maybe someone has one I can try before...
K it was a 100 then cause it was not any fun. I will check out a 125 maybe someone has one I can try before I sell this beautiful thing.

Yes will do I have the whole winter off hehe.
It was not any fun, because it was a 4-stroke. A 125 two stroke will be a LOT more fun... trust me on this.
Bearuno
12/8/2014 10:46pm Edited Date/Time 12/8/2014 10:48pm
So, you've got a KTM300?

If so, you've one of the Most Easily adjustable engines on earth.

Do some research on the powervalve settings and springs - std you get 3 different springs (and there are even more spring rates available from KTM). In less than 2 minutes (or even a few seconds when it comes to just the PV spring pre-load) You can make the bike so mellow / smooth, that it's easily ridden (but still very, very powerfull) - conversely, you can make it quite, quite hyper, if that's your want. And, there's no need to buy something like a Kreft adjuster dial - though, they do make PV pre-load so very easy - as a modded short screw driver, or socket driver can be used for easy adjustments.

Seriously, $15, to $25 US would probably get you all of the PV spring options KTM have. Those, plus a few carb jets, will be the cheapest, easiest engine tuning that you could ever get. It drives me mad how so few people (and magazine tests) make use of the KTM 250 / 300 (and the 125/ 150 /200 engines) PV tuning options, and basic jetting.

Another, relatively cheap way of making a bike very adjustable, is use of a G2 ( plenty of other companies have now copied it)
throttle - for easy throttle pull adjustment. .Flywheel weights cost buggerall too.

But hell, you may have no problem at all with power delivery - women are noted for having finer hand skills than us hamfisted blokes, so I apologize if I seem a bit condescending / assuming you might like a 'gentler' power delivery.........

You are 5'9" - you are probably bigger than many blokes here. And, if you are quite fit, not much weaker, and / or probably stronger - few blokes here would be the Adonis that I am......... Don't fall back on / take on board that you're "just a girl".

Sort out the correct spring weight for Your weight, and riding conditions. It's Not a luxury, it's an Imperative, for Any rider. Learn to use your clickers, before you spend a fortune on valving - too many people just send things away, right from the get go.

Get, and use high quality protective equipment - you will have found already that the ground / other things, hurt when you hit it. Knee braces are of even more importance for women, given the natural 'valgus' your knees have, compared to blokes, due to your hips etc. Damaged knees, Really mess up all sorts things for you........

Enjoy yourself. It's a great sport, and the vast amount of blokes out there, will welcome you, and happily help you. Just watch out for the lecherous, dirty old men, like me....... well, no, but ,what's your mum look like? (I'm of that age... and getting ever 'sillier').
bronwynrayne
12/8/2014 10:46pm
mxrose3 wrote:
It was not any fun, because it was a 4-stroke. A 125 two stroke will be a LOT more fun... trust me on this.
I really want to try some more bikes now!
JM485
12/8/2014 10:50pm
Damn, that's a nice 300! I'm definitely trying to get one of those once I get out of school, I rode my dad's and the motors are unreal, easy to ride and more than enough power if you need it. You got a new IG follower BTW.Laughing
bronwynrayne
12/8/2014 11:01pm
Bearuno wrote:
So, you've got a KTM300? If so, you've one of the Most Easily adjustable engines on earth. Do some research on the powervalve settings and springs...
So, you've got a KTM300?

If so, you've one of the Most Easily adjustable engines on earth.

Do some research on the powervalve settings and springs - std you get 3 different springs (and there are even more spring rates available from KTM). In less than 2 minutes (or even a few seconds when it comes to just the PV spring pre-load) You can make the bike so mellow / smooth, that it's easily ridden (but still very, very powerfull) - conversely, you can make it quite, quite hyper, if that's your want. And, there's no need to buy something like a Kreft adjuster dial - though, they do make PV pre-load so very easy - as a modded short screw driver, or socket driver can be used for easy adjustments.

Seriously, $15, to $25 US would probably get you all of the PV spring options KTM have. Those, plus a few carb jets, will be the cheapest, easiest engine tuning that you could ever get. It drives me mad how so few people (and magazine tests) make use of the KTM 250 / 300 (and the 125/ 150 /200 engines) PV tuning options, and basic jetting.

Another, relatively cheap way of making a bike very adjustable, is use of a G2 ( plenty of other companies have now copied it)
throttle - for easy throttle pull adjustment. .Flywheel weights cost buggerall too.

But hell, you may have no problem at all with power delivery - women are noted for having finer hand skills than us hamfisted blokes, so I apologize if I seem a bit condescending / assuming you might like a 'gentler' power delivery.........

You are 5'9" - you are probably bigger than many blokes here. And, if you are quite fit, not much weaker, and / or probably stronger - few blokes here would be the Adonis that I am......... Don't fall back on / take on board that you're "just a girl".

Sort out the correct spring weight for Your weight, and riding conditions. It's Not a luxury, it's an Imperative, for Any rider. Learn to use your clickers, before you spend a fortune on valving - too many people just send things away, right from the get go.

Get, and use high quality protective equipment - you will have found already that the ground / other things, hurt when you hit it. Knee braces are of even more importance for women, given the natural 'valgus' your knees have, compared to blokes, due to your hips etc. Damaged knees, Really mess up all sorts things for you........

Enjoy yourself. It's a great sport, and the vast amount of blokes out there, will welcome you, and happily help you. Just watch out for the lecherous, dirty old men, like me....... well, no, but ,what's your mum look like? (I'm of that age... and getting ever 'sillier').
This was super informative. I read a little about the jetting options but I wasn't aware that they were that customisable in this bike, so that is great news. Cannot wait to get home and tinker.

I have a knee brace from skiing that should be good enough for riding I think, other than that I have boots and a helmet and knee pads with shin guards and body armour, that covers my basics I think?

Your advice is sound I plan on going forward with my adjustments when I get home. Thank you so much!

PS My mom is a babe.
bd
12/8/2014 11:14pm
You are new to the sport..... highly recommend good technique before you pick up bad habits. Ryan Hughes is one of the best in biz:

http://youtu.be/Z0oW6J_HxyM

http://rynopowergym.com/

Master technique and speed will come.

As far as set up: bar bend, bar position, lever position, sag
bvm111
12/8/2014 11:14pm
peelout wrote:
[img]http://replygif.net/i/871.gif[/img] Knuckle. A knuckle sandwich.

mxrose3 wrote:
bahahaha! nice.....
She just owned peely.... Ha Hahahahahhaha. Ahahhahnahah!

I think she will fit in nicely around here!
bd
12/8/2014 11:15pm
Pretty impressed with you fellas tonight, have not chased her off.

Post a reply to: Chick Bike Setup

The Latest