Chest protector with neck brace?

RCB33
Fantasy
139th
Edited Date/Time 3/28/2016 10:17am
To be clear this isn't a thread discussing if neck braces are good or bad, and it really isn't about if a chest protector really does anything besides deflect roost or not. Now that I have established that, with a neck brace, when you want to wear a chest protector, do you wear it under your jersey or above for best overall fit? I generally wear my chest protector above my jersey and it occasionally is uncomfortable with a neck brace and want to know if its worth buying a under the jersey protector or not. Thanks, hope to hear some opinions on this!
|
TbonesPop
Fantasy
321st
3/26/2016 7:52am
I currently wear an early model Leatt neck brace with a Thor Quadrant over the jersey chest protector. Those two work together pretty well. However, I recently tried on an Atlas neck brace and it was way more comfortable than the Leatt - granted my Leatt is pretty old. The Atlas wasn't as in sync with the Thor Quadrant chest protector though, so I'm actively looking for an Atlas neck brace to combo with an Atlas under the Jersey protector. Most of the over the jersey chest protectors have protection on top of the shoulders or for your traps - not sure if that is necessary or not personally. The under the jersey chest protectors usually just have adjustable straps over the shoulders with no trap protection. I think the combo of having a neck brace (which I recommend because I've crashed hard and was very grateful to have had the neck brace on) and a comfortable chest protector is key for safety reasons.

I played baseball all my life as I was a catcher. I was taught very early on in my baseball days that your gear has to be a part of your body - it needs to literally be an extension of your body and not constantly bothering you subconsciously. If you have misfitting gear, you can't play the sport to your full ability.

I would suggest trying equipment on and making sure it fits your perfectly - what works for some may not work well for others. IIRC, you are in your teens (based on previous posts) and you will be growing like a weed in the next few years.

So to answer your question, I wear an over the jersey with a neck brace but I'm looking at getting a new neck brace that works with an under the jersey chest protector. I've tried on the Atlas combo and it works pretty well for me. But the best thing to do is, go to a store and try stuff on - assuming you can find a store in your area that has stuff. I too grew up in a very small town in MO, so I know what your challenge with respect to gear and parts.
Berm
Fantasy
136th
3/26/2016 7:52am
I wear neck brace and chest pro, both above jersey. I prefer having the chest pro over jersey regardless of whether or not I have a neck brace on.
Highsider
3/27/2016 5:06pm
I wear the latest FOX total coverage outside my jersey and a Leatt that is only a few years old.
No complaints.
mx510
Fantasy
1707th
3/27/2016 5:15pm
I wear the Fox proframe with an Atlas brace and it fits great. The only time I have an issue is when I add my hydration pack, it starts to make my neck brace ride up. I am still looking for a good combo with the drink pack.

The Shop

wwoberg
3/27/2016 7:41pm
Recently got the Atlas combo. Brace and over chest with back. Very pleased.
TbonesPop
Fantasy
321st
3/27/2016 7:44pm
wwoberg wrote:
Which Atlas chest protector did you get? Just curious. I'm looking for one, but prefer under the jersey.
crusher773
3/27/2016 8:26pm
I have an Astars brace with an EVS f2. I have it zip ties together and my head fits through the brace.
wwoberg
3/28/2016 3:36am
wwoberg wrote:
TbonesPop wrote:
Which Atlas chest protector did you get? Just curious. I'm looking for one, but prefer under the jersey.
I think it called the defender. Its the latest one that comes in a combo with the neck brace. They are advertising it heavy all over.
Justin345
3/28/2016 3:49am
I wear a fox proframe and leatt neck brace, both over the jersey. They fit together like they were made for each other and is really comfortable.
Canadad
3/28/2016 6:18am
These work great together..

Remove shoulder pads and wear under the jersey....great back and chest protection....and I have no affiliation with Alpinestars
mxdude105
3/28/2016 7:19am
I wear a Leatt neck brace and Leatt chest protector over the jersey. At this point I really don't notice either of them while I'm riding. I feel like I'd need to wear a smaller, thinner chest protector in order to wear it beneath the jersey and be comfortable and I'd rather have the added protection of the larger one.
FGR01
Fantasy
1327th
3/28/2016 7:52am
I wear a Leatt brace and a Leatt chest protector, both over the jersey.

The protector has the removable panels for the brace to sit on top of it. However, I keep the brace inside of the protector for 2 reasons. 1) It allows the brace to sit closer to your body on your chest and back the way it was intended to and it helps hold the brace in place so it's not floating all over your neck. 2) If the brace is outside the protector when you lift your shoulders (like going into turns or over jumps) the whole protector and brace will lift which is annoying when you feel the brace pushing up against your helmet kind of locking your head in position.
skubasam
3/28/2016 8:53am
The atlas defender chest protector comes with the stuff to convert it so you can wear it under your jersey. The defender lite is setup that way from them with no extra parts to add the spine/back protector.
ab5772
3/28/2016 10:17am
After years of experimenting with a few over and under jersey protectors, I don't race mx, but I do quite a bit of desert racing. I settled on the Leatt Body Protector 3DF Airfit last year. I preferred the over jersey originally, but I could never find one that was completely comfortable with the neck brace. I didn't like the under protectors because I didn't like the Incredible Hulk look.

I found the Leatt 3DF to be the best compromise. It isn't too bulky, but it seems to provide great protection. I've tested it a few times unfortunately Smile I like the side protection as well. All of the padding is removable, so you can customize it to your liking. I live in Utah and even wear it during the summer in the desert. It's definitely warm, but it breathes really well as long as you're moving. I tried the TLD Body Armor shirt which is even lower profile, but it is next to impossible to take off when you're hot and sweaty. The Leatt armor has a zipper down the front to help with this.

The best part is that it integrates with the Leatt GPX 5.5 perfectly. It's the best combo I have tried by far.

http://www.leatt.com/shop/body-protection/upper-body-soft/upper-body-so…

Post a reply to: Chest protector with neck brace?

The Latest