Charlotte USGP in trouble? Cancelled!

Carp824
2/23/2017 8:05am Edited Date/Time 2/23/2017 8:22am
From mxlarge.com.

The Grand Prix of United States at Charlotte is also under fire, with a replacement already found, and yes, in USA. This news will be more official in a few weeks. Tomorrow we have more on this subject with an exclusive interview with Giuseppe Luongo, where he talks about the USGP situation at Charlotte, and also other MXGP news.

“It is possible (Charlotte doesn’t go ahead),” Luongo said. “Now its two months talking to them, and it can be that they step back. The cost of the event in a big structure is expensive, and even with a good spectator turnout, which it was and we expect more this year, still it isn’t enough for what we need for an event like this. I am sure we have another option and I am sure it will be a Grand Prix in USA. There is a small chance with Charlotte, but the other possability we are dealing with now.
|
ML512
Fantasy
36th
2/23/2017 8:19am
I've heard that the replacement round might be in Spain...I'm not sure the US will have a GP this year. We'll have to see what the official announcement says.
early
Fantasy
2139th
2/23/2017 8:37am
So much for the GPs expanding their footprint in North America.

The Shop

Motofinne
2/23/2017 8:37am
To go from one USGP and MXdN in USA to nothing would be really bad.

I hope they can find an replacement in US.
Graybeard
Fantasy
2478th
2/23/2017 8:40am
This is great insight into all that is wrong with this sport--the riders and track aren't making enough to continue the events, while the "promoters" get fat off of everyone else. Was so excited about the GPs after last year, but this just takes me right back to where I was a couple years ago with the GPs--no f*$ks given.
etccb
2/23/2017 8:43am Edited Date/Time 2/23/2017 8:53am
I love having a gp and possible mxdn in the usa but the promoters cant just loose a bunch of money to have one. Luongo needs to look in the mirror and rethink the required profits imo or we will just have a bunch more middle east rounds where the track owner making a profit isn't as important as the country itself having an event.

The usa mx world can be just fine without the gp series and in no way needs to make a donation to Luongo to have them race here. We have a series with quite a few riders racing here regularly that the gp series would love to have.
Stuntman949
2/23/2017 8:43am
Seemed like a genuinely good experience for those that attended last year, yes?
Fonzarelli
2/23/2017 8:46am
If they put it at any real outdoor MX track East of the Mississippi I will be there for the whole weekend, spending lots of money.

If they find some other stadium or gimmicky place to put it I'll watch it on TV and thats it.
Prntscrn
2/23/2017 8:49am
Seemed like a genuinely good experience for those that attended last year, yes?
Yeah but the way the GPs are runned is disgusting. Corruption and bribes all the way from up top to the bottom
cameron96
2/23/2017 8:57am
Man the 2 USGP races last year where some of the best racing I watched last year... the hype that goes into them when cooper and Eli are announced was awesome!

This sucks... money talks I guess..

Because of those races I bought a seasons pass this year
etccb
2/23/2017 9:04am Edited Date/Time 2/23/2017 9:15am
Prntscrn wrote:
Yeah but the way the GPs are runned is disgusting. Corruption and bribes all the way from up top to the bottom
Exactly, the USA is not in desperate need of their event so go ahead and take your money grab show somewhere else.

The USA has 29 gate filled events each year with equal to greater talent to the gp's. Yes as fans we would love to also see the great racers that race the gp's but we have no need to donate a large sum to see them.
2/23/2017 9:09am
The circuit and venue sucked. Maybe it'll find a better home on a real motocross track. Think long-term.

F1 used to come to Indianapolis too; the venue just made Americans look stupid. But now we have COTA.

trevor310mx
Fantasy
3250th
2/23/2017 9:10am
I am really bummed about this. Being from North Carolina, regardless if it was a US event or a GP, it was awesome racing that was close to home.

On another note, and I'm just thinking here, feel free to let me know if I'm a total moron, but why does Feld and maybe even some teams over here keep wanting to expand to Europe for SX when the GP's have came and went over here in the US? I know they state it's because of money issues and there's still a chance that the series does still have a round over here, but look at the SMX Cup, I could see that being equal to the GP's over here, if not worse, when the US tries SX over there. And then you get to the point on well if they aren't trying to make the US work, why should we be over there in Europe helping them out in any way with a series extending over there? Like I said, let me know if I'm totally off my rocker.
Markee
Fantasy
2006th
2/23/2017 9:11am
I would guess Budds Creek aint on that list Whistling
early
Fantasy
2139th
2/23/2017 9:12am
The circuit and venue sucked. Maybe it'll find a better home on a real motocross track. Think long-term. F1 used to come to Indianapolis too; the...
The circuit and venue sucked. Maybe it'll find a better home on a real motocross track. Think long-term.

F1 used to come to Indianapolis too; the venue just made Americans look stupid. But now we have COTA.

They should have a round at Florida Track and Trails in the middle of July or August, see what these guys are made of.
2/23/2017 9:29am
Fonzarelli wrote:
If they put it at any real outdoor MX track East of the Mississippi I will be there for the whole weekend, spending lots of money...
If they put it at any real outdoor MX track East of the Mississippi I will be there for the whole weekend, spending lots of money.

If they find some other stadium or gimmicky place to put it I'll watch it on TV and thats it.
Correct. I always suspected that, last year, the local promoters talked Youthstream into the raceway venue -- "But Americans want STADIUM RACING!" (Yeah, the stupid Americans do.)

Now those same promoters were probably trying to shift more of the cost of circuit construction/deconstructioin onto Youthstream, so the marriage fell apart.

Glen Helen is a great venue, but they gambled on the end-of-season race date. Back in 2015, they were hoping they'd have a Cairoli vs. Villopoto final-moto showdown, but instead we got two years of meaningless races. There's no easy solution, but I think the USGP would need two things:

1. A proper motocross venue.

2. A race date where the event will be relevant to the championship.

Unfortunately, the relevant race date would conflict with the American Supercross/Motocross schedule, so it's almost impossible to schedule an event that would be meaningful AND include AMA riders.
Adam43
2/23/2017 9:29am
No surprise. Giuseppe follows Bernie Eccelstone's F1 model to a T - any race without government subsidy is doomed over the long term.
2/23/2017 9:31am
Adam43 wrote:
No surprise. Giuseppe follows Bernie Eccelstone's F1 model to a T - any race without government subsidy is doomed over the long term.
Berne ain't calling the shots anymore.
cameron96
2/23/2017 9:33am
I am really bummed about this. Being from North Carolina, regardless if it was a US event or a GP, it was awesome racing that was...
I am really bummed about this. Being from North Carolina, regardless if it was a US event or a GP, it was awesome racing that was close to home.

On another note, and I'm just thinking here, feel free to let me know if I'm a total moron, but why does Feld and maybe even some teams over here keep wanting to expand to Europe for SX when the GP's have came and went over here in the US? I know they state it's because of money issues and there's still a chance that the series does still have a round over here, but look at the SMX Cup, I could see that being equal to the GP's over here, if not worse, when the US tries SX over there. And then you get to the point on well if they aren't trying to make the US work, why should we be over there in Europe helping them out in any way with a series extending over there? Like I said, let me know if I'm totally off my rocker.
There's supercross races in Australia, France, and Switzerland that pack stadiums every year

The GP series just tried new things with the usgp and SMX races and guess it didn't work out

It was interesting st the SMX opening ceremonies, Ryan dungey was the crowd favourite while 3 world champs hardly made any noise.

If a euro sx had the dunge Ken Eli and other big names there it would sell out
early
Fantasy
2139th
2/23/2017 9:34am
Correct. I always suspected that, last year, the local promoters talked Youthstream into the raceway venue -- "But Americans want STADIUM RACING!" (Yeah, the stupid Americans...
Correct. I always suspected that, last year, the local promoters talked Youthstream into the raceway venue -- "But Americans want STADIUM RACING!" (Yeah, the stupid Americans do.)

Now those same promoters were probably trying to shift more of the cost of circuit construction/deconstructioin onto Youthstream, so the marriage fell apart.

Glen Helen is a great venue, but they gambled on the end-of-season race date. Back in 2015, they were hoping they'd have a Cairoli vs. Villopoto final-moto showdown, but instead we got two years of meaningless races. There's no easy solution, but I think the USGP would need two things:

1. A proper motocross venue.

2. A race date where the event will be relevant to the championship.

Unfortunately, the relevant race date would conflict with the American Supercross/Motocross schedule, so it's almost impossible to schedule an event that would be meaningful AND include AMA riders.
I dont think it took much convincing as there were 3 other purpose built gps last year (Qatar, Switzerland, Assen). More likely Charlotte were the only promoters on the east coast to consider it.
Adam43
2/23/2017 9:36am
Berne ain't calling the shots anymore.
I'm well aware, we'll see if Liberty backs down somewhat on the crazy fees. Certainly doesn't seem like Luongo is.
2/23/2017 9:37am
early wrote:
I dont think it took much convincing as there were 3 other purpose built gps last year (Qatar, Switzerland, Assen). More likely Charlotte were the only...
I dont think it took much convincing as there were 3 other purpose built gps last year (Qatar, Switzerland, Assen). More likely Charlotte were the only promoters on the east coast to consider it.
Of those three, only Assen was crammed into some sort of stadium-like venue. Not the same thing, experience-wise. And Assen's circuit is a helluva lot better than Charlotte's (and I think a helluva lot more people show up).

I think Thailand's various circuits were temporary too.
2/23/2017 9:42am
Why did the budds creek usgp from years ago have such a low fan base, why did the glen helen usgp 16 have such a low fan base, why did the german special late fall sx have such a low fan base, why did the charlotte usgp have such a low, even though slightly better then the rest fan base. I know what i want to say in one word but i'll let you all take it from here.
early
Fantasy
2139th
2/23/2017 9:43am
Of those three, only Assen was crammed into some sort of stadium-like venue. Not the same thing, experience-wise. And Assen's circuit is a helluva lot better...
Of those three, only Assen was crammed into some sort of stadium-like venue. Not the same thing, experience-wise. And Assen's circuit is a helluva lot better than Charlotte's (and I think a helluva lot more people show up).

I think Thailand's various circuits were temporary too.
I dont think Mexicos track is very well established either.

Anyway, I dont think its much of a choice as the track owners/promoters in the east arent very interested.
2/23/2017 9:45am
early wrote:
I dont think Mexicos track is very well established either. Anyway, I dont think its much of a choice as the track owners/promoters in the east...
I dont think Mexicos track is very well established either.

Anyway, I dont think its much of a choice as the track owners/promoters in the east arent very interested.
You're right, that track has always looked lame too. Thing is, most of the European courses make up for the oddballs, and the net result -- wide diversity of venues -- is actually a selling point. (I guess even Charlotte played into that narrative.)
MX114
2/23/2017 9:59am Edited Date/Time 2/23/2017 10:03am
Unadilla should get the date! That would be so sick to see a GP there. It's Euro friendly and arguably the most history in American motocross has taken place there. From the Des Nations back in the day, and the races with Decoster and the old euro guys racing on a track carved outta three foot high grass in the morning.
Mr. Ted
Fantasy
1673rd
2/23/2017 10:03am
What about the 'Wick?

Post a reply to: Charlotte USGP in trouble? Cancelled!

The Latest