Change coming to NASCAR souvenir sales

The Rock
Edited Date/Time 7/2/2015 8:10pm
Interesting concept Wonder what MX facilities could support superstores?
|
imoto34
Fantasy
3179th
7/1/2015 11:04pm
Better chance of seeing JL338 selling dank in the parking lot, bro!
hvaughn88
7/2/2015 4:12am
imoto34 wrote:
Better chance of seeing JL338 selling dank in the parking lot, bro!
So a pretty good chance?
mauidex
7/2/2015 4:15am Edited Date/Time 7/2/2015 4:16am
hey Rock...........haven't been to an outdoor in awhile but last time I was that is exactly what John Ayers/MotoTees has set up..........it was called gear superstore I think?? it was the only place you could buy any rider or race souveneir stuff

so maybe Nascar is taking one from MX!! Cool
TX24
7/2/2015 4:51am
One problem in mx, it has always seemed like a large percentage of fans follow a small percentage of racers.

The Shop

Xeno
7/2/2015 7:19am
Wow, that's awesome! A "mobile mall" concept.

Although the NASCAR world is 1000x bigger than our world, I think the concept would be profitable for Supercross.

It would be a much smaller scale, of course. Maybe a two-story setup in the pits?

I'm curious to hear Hooligan's take on this.
The Rock
7/2/2015 10:04am
mauidex wrote:
hey Rock...........haven't been to an outdoor in awhile but last time I was that is exactly what John Ayers/MotoTees has set up..........it was called gear superstore...
hey Rock...........haven't been to an outdoor in awhile but last time I was that is exactly what John Ayers/MotoTees has set up..........it was called gear superstore I think?? it was the only place you could buy any rider or race souveneir stuff

so maybe Nascar is taking one from MX!! Cool
MotoTees has a big rig just like FMF has for their T shirt sales so no gear superstores in MX or SX yet.

Xeno-I'm with you RE: two story deal in the pits.
Holigan
7/2/2015 10:15am
"I'm curious to hear Holigan's take on this." (fixed it for you)

NASCAR ticket sales and television ratings are declining. The merchandise guys cannot afford to send rigs to every race for all of the teams (multiple rigs for some teams). This is a decent idea on how to create some level of shopping excitement, but it is definitely not good news. NASCAR has to try to figure out how to get young fans engaged in the races as their fan base is getting older.

SX/MX kinda of has the opposite problem. The races are cool as sh__. Now need to figure out how to get millions of people to attend a race and see how awesome it really is.
h_reed
7/2/2015 11:30am
Now NASCAR can control every bit of money that comes from the fans. Nice.
BAMX
7/2/2015 11:43am
h_reed wrote:
Money grab is was what I thought when I read the concept. NA$CAR is all about bringing in revenue at the expense of everything else. Holigan is dead on about them having issues with fans. I spent a lot of years at tracks across the West and still talk to a lot of my friends from back then. The thing is that most of the fans that I know have moved away from the sport for various reasons. Among them, the Chase format, high ticket prices, picking drivers based on nepotism, and the lose of short tracks in favor of super speedways are the most common that I hear. Sadly, they are on a long downward spiral and per normal, the second generation of the owners is clueless.
h_reed
7/2/2015 11:48am
h_reed wrote:
BAMX wrote:
Money grab is was what I thought when I read the concept. NA$CAR is all about bringing in revenue at the expense of everything else. Holigan...
Money grab is was what I thought when I read the concept. NA$CAR is all about bringing in revenue at the expense of everything else. Holigan is dead on about them having issues with fans. I spent a lot of years at tracks across the West and still talk to a lot of my friends from back then. The thing is that most of the fans that I know have moved away from the sport for various reasons. Among them, the Chase format, high ticket prices, picking drivers based on nepotism, and the lose of short tracks in favor of super speedways are the most common that I hear. Sadly, they are on a long downward spiral and per normal, the second generation of the owners is clueless.
I make my living in the sport and you hit the nail on the head!
Xeno
7/2/2015 12:10pm
My apologies, Holigan!

I'm out of touch with the car world. I do make it to Supercross races, and I've noticed at the Anaheim race the merch trailer is in the parking lot. Why isn't it in the pits? Or both areas?

I know there's lots of griping about the ticket and concession prices, but I think there is still unrealized revenue walking around the pits.

Quick story:
I took my six year old son to Anaheim this year. He wanted a cotton candy. So when the vendor came by we tried to buy one. The vendor said, "It's $18 dollars and it comes with a Monster beanie." I asked to buy only the cotton candy (since I have a box of Rockstar beanies at my shop). He said, "Sorry, it's a package deal only". I could tell he was ashamed to say that, because obviously we weren't the first people disappointed by this arrangement.
So I passed- and fortunately my son is super cool about stuff like that- and I was able to get him a different treat.

But as a retailer, the "package deal" made very little sense to me.
h&m_cycle
7/2/2015 12:12pm Edited Date/Time 7/2/2015 12:13pm
Think it was 2010, saw 3 souvenir trailers for Jr. & the lines... I read where some driver's souvenir sales were down
by much as 70%
Holigan
7/2/2015 12:19pm
$18 for cotton candy? You should have tried it. That had to be the world's greatest cotton candy if they can charge $18.

I think the circus division has taught the SX division how to sell high margin merchandise.
Xeno
7/2/2015 12:24pm
I think I would offer both options, and try to get the upsell with the beanie/candy combo.
hvaughn88
7/2/2015 12:27pm
Xeno wrote:
My apologies, Holigan! I'm out of touch with the car world. I do make it to Supercross races, and I've noticed at the Anaheim race the...
My apologies, Holigan!

I'm out of touch with the car world. I do make it to Supercross races, and I've noticed at the Anaheim race the merch trailer is in the parking lot. Why isn't it in the pits? Or both areas?

I know there's lots of griping about the ticket and concession prices, but I think there is still unrealized revenue walking around the pits.

Quick story:
I took my six year old son to Anaheim this year. He wanted a cotton candy. So when the vendor came by we tried to buy one. The vendor said, "It's $18 dollars and it comes with a Monster beanie." I asked to buy only the cotton candy (since I have a box of Rockstar beanies at my shop). He said, "Sorry, it's a package deal only". I could tell he was ashamed to say that, because obviously we weren't the first people disappointed by this arrangement.
So I passed- and fortunately my son is super cool about stuff like that- and I was able to get him a different treat.

But as a retailer, the "package deal" made very little sense to me.
It's crazy isn't it! I continue to be baffled at how many people buy them, too! I also have a story kind of like that. My son wanted one of those cotton candy that came with the foam fake helmet-hat-dorky-thing that was around $15-18 or so. Obviously i wasn't going to buy him one because that's ridiculous. I tried this instead: I gave my son (who's 7) $15 and told him it was some spending money. I then told him if he wanted cotton candy he could buy it. He looked at me and said "but that will take all my money, no way." I thought it was hilarious and a little lesson for him.
Holigan
7/2/2015 12:51pm
hvaughn88 wrote:
It's crazy isn't it! I continue to be baffled at how many people buy them, too! I also have a story kind of like that. My...
It's crazy isn't it! I continue to be baffled at how many people buy them, too! I also have a story kind of like that. My son wanted one of those cotton candy that came with the foam fake helmet-hat-dorky-thing that was around $15-18 or so. Obviously i wasn't going to buy him one because that's ridiculous. I tried this instead: I gave my son (who's 7) $15 and told him it was some spending money. I then told him if he wanted cotton candy he could buy it. He looked at me and said "but that will take all my money, no way." I thought it was hilarious and a little lesson for him.
I did the same thing with my ex wife and a Lexus.
hvaughn88
7/2/2015 1:01pm
hvaughn88 wrote:
It's crazy isn't it! I continue to be baffled at how many people buy them, too! I also have a story kind of like that. My...
Holigan wrote:
I did the same thing with my ex wife and a Lexus.
LaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughing

can't spell Lexus without 'ex'
twizzler
7/2/2015 1:08pm
h_reed wrote:
BAMX wrote:
Money grab is was what I thought when I read the concept. NA$CAR is all about bringing in revenue at the expense of everything else. Holigan...
h_reed wrote:
I make my living in the sport and you hit the nail on the head!
NASCAR is going down the shitter just like this country is...similar business philosophies.
Xeno
7/2/2015 1:14pm
twizzler wrote:
NASCAR is going down the shitter just like this country is...similar business philosophies.
The leaders of NASCAR give you whatever you want if you whine all the time?

When is the next race? Tongue
Jakes Dad
7/2/2015 4:30pm
I guess Nascar figures by asking the older redneck fans not to display their rebel flags, will bring in the younger crowd and not offend them.
olds cool
7/2/2015 8:10pm
Isn't this similar to what the PGA does?

Post a reply to: Change coming to NASCAR souvenir sales

The Latest