Chad's Racer X Interview

Grieby54
Edited Date/Time 2/10/2015 2:45pm
Racer X: You’ve won a lot here in San Diego. Maybe the change in venue was what we blame it on. I think it was the same dirt.
Chad Reed: Honestly I felt good all day.

You were on the board. It looked like one of your better practices.
On the board, off the board. We had a good solid day. Honestly the night program wasn’t terrible. I made a mistake in the heat and threw it away. Had to go to the semi, which kind of sucked because I ruined my streak of not having to go to the semi. I think the last time I went to a semi was, I think you were on the team. Was that 2003 or ’04 when I broke a tranny in San Diego? I think that was the last time I went to a semi. So that was a bit of a bummer.

Can we talk about you hitting your teammate [Josh Grant] off the track?
That sucked.

There’s some angry people on Twitter again. It wasn’t dirty; it was a total accident and you barely touched him and it sucks, but you know how these things go.
Does it not seem like they react to things with me more than others?

Well, you’ve been doing this for fifteen years.
I just have people that are going to love me or hate me. It is what it is. I haven’t been on Twitter yet, not that I care to be honest.

People want the black flag; they want this and that.
I think in any normal case you don’t feel that bad about getting to the inside and making a little contact and coming out the better end, but when it’s your teammate and you’re both in position…

The best one I heard was that your nac-nac over the finish that you won was because you were celebrating that you knocked him off the track.
That fool wins I guess. Obviously Josh and I talked about it. He’s bummed but he wasn’t mad at me. From my side, obviously I triple, triple, tripled and he missed the last triple, and I was committed. And he protected his line. He did everything he could or should do and unfortunately we just met. I had momentum on my side, so it was a bit of a bummer. He made some pretty big adjustments today bike-wise, so he was pretty positive about. He was like, “Hey, my bike’s way better, but I’m still getting used to it.” So maybe going and doing more laps [helped him] [laughs]. But I can honestly say I’ve never watched a last chance and just wishing and hoping that JG got the holeshot and was clean. I was like, please JG get a holeshot and make this happen. All in all I was fourth and JG got his best position tonight. Did every lap, crashed in the first turn out here, and came back to twelfth, so that’s good. We made progress today.

For your race, you lost the tail of Dungey, and you had a big gap to the guys behind you, so it was probably hard to put in a big charge.
The track started going away from me a little bit. It was getting rough, and I felt like I didn’t adjust to that. I had three or four laps where I was just banging out the laps, and I felt good. Dunge and I were taking some time out of Kenny. Then I made a mistake and I kind of didn’t adapt. It got to the point where the gap with Dungey was too big. Then I took a peek and saw Eli there, so I just kind of used up that time. He took three seconds out of me on one lap; I got held up by [Jimmy] Albertson pretty good. Eli [Tomac] tried to hook me up pretty good tonight! My $3,500 footpeg, he broke that.

I thought it was a little early for a move like that.
He was mad, I think, because, I want to say that someone if front of me, held him up on the berm, and that allowed me to get in there and make a pass. I obviously tried to make the pass happen, and I don’t think he appreciated me trying to get in. Yeah, it’s funny. It’s getting to the fun part of the season. Guys that want to be in the championship hunt, and are not really in it, they’re starting to show their frustration. I think you could see it. He’s a long way up there and has a good shot at this thing, and threw himself on the ground with a dumbass pass. To me it just proves again that you have to be up there at the beginning, and no matter how talented these guys you’ve got to push them around. Twitter guys probably won’t be happy with me when I make passes that I gotta make, but they’re not afraid to make passed like that on me. But I don’t care. I’ve been black-flagged once and I’ll be black-flagged more! Championship is over for me! – Steve Matthes

I know most of you know I'm not a Chad Reed fan, so read the comments below at your own risk. Also, this is just bench racing - there's no need to get all fired up and lose your minds about it. With that said...

I just don't understand Chad's attitude here. He calls Trey a dumbass a few weeks ago, and then calls Eli a dumbass this weekend. Eli was making a perfectly fine pass and a freak accident got his back tire into Chad's footpeg. Why does that make him a dumbass? Chad complains about not getting respect louder than anyone else, yet here he has no issue slamming his fellow riders.

And this gem: "...I triple, triple, tripled and he missed the last triple, and I was committed. And he protected his line. He did everything he could or should do and unfortunately we just met. I had momentum on my side, so it was a bit of a bummer." Is that not a pretty good explanation of how he and Trey got together? Does that mean JG should find Chad next week and throw him a little elbow off the track? I don't think Chad did anything wrong here, it was just a total racing incident. However, he doesn't seem to think that way when he's on the other end of it per his reaction to his and Trey's racing incident.

Chad's back to the way he was when he was on the Yamaha. Piss poor attitude. I really don't understand how this guy has such a rabid following.

Also, a note for Matthes: I'm a fan of your work and really appreciate having you out there. I am slightly confused, though - you've called Eli out for not making it happen in the first lap or two as the reason why Roczen is beating him. Eli tries to make some quick moves in the main, and now you think it was a bit early for "a move like that?" I know you're a big Reed fan by the way you lead your interviews with him, but that statement seemed a bit odd to me. If you read this - can you tell me what about that pass you felt was unnecessary at that point? I mean that in all sincerity - I wasn't there and you were.
|
haydos25
Fantasy
3333rd
2/9/2015 11:02am Edited Date/Time 2/9/2015 11:02am
I fail to see where he is wrong in any of that.

Eli did try to make a rushed pass and ended up on the ground losing a bunch more points to his championship rivals.

Grant did miss the last triple and Chad did triple in and carry more momentum than he thought and the lines colided. Reed didnt land on Grants back there is the distinct difference in the two incidents.

What is Reed supposed to say in this situation other than what he believes to be the truth?
Grieby54
2/9/2015 11:07am
haydos25 wrote:
I fail to see where he is wrong in any of that. Eli did try to make a rushed pass and ended up on the ground...

Eli did try to make a rushed pass and ended up on the ground losing a bunch more points to his championship rivals.

Grant did miss the last triple and Chad did triple in and carry more momentum than he thought and the lines colided. Reed didnt land on Grants back there is the distinct difference in the two incidents.

What is Reed supposed to say in this situation other than what he believes to be the truth?
If Eli didn't catch Reed's footpeg, it's just a normal pass and nobody thinks twice about it. But Reed calls him a dumbass for a freak incident?

Of course the two incident were different, but it's the same concept - rider one misses the jump, rider two is committed to said jump, riders make contact. Racing incident - no fault of Chad's, Josh's, or Trey's. Trey jumped into the corner to make the pass on Kenny this weekend and has a win for it. Nobody is saying anything about it even though it was the exact same move that he tried on Reed.
Grieby54
2/9/2015 11:08am
That got me curious, too. I don't think Reed is lying for a second, but what in the world is that thing made out of?!
Olson
2/9/2015 11:11am
Great interview. Great answers. If you fail to see the difference between Canards pass and Reeds you're blind. Eli might not be a dumbass but there's a reason he ends up on the ground.

The Shop

swedishfishmx
Fantasy
3811th
2/9/2015 11:12am
Grieby54 wrote:
That got me curious, too. I don't think Reed is lying for a second, but what in the world is that thing made out of?!
unobtainium
mx317
2/9/2015 11:15am
haydos25 wrote:
I fail to see where he is wrong in any of that. Eli did try to make a rushed pass and ended up on the ground...

This guy gets it. Others just want to make shit up in their heads.
haydos25
Fantasy
3333rd
2/9/2015 11:18am
Grieby54 wrote:
If Eli didn't catch Reed's footpeg, it's just a normal pass and nobody thinks twice about it. But Reed calls him a dumbass for a freak...
If Eli didn't catch Reed's footpeg, it's just a normal pass and nobody thinks twice about it. But Reed calls him a dumbass for a freak incident?

Of course the two incident were different, but it's the same concept - rider one misses the jump, rider two is committed to said jump, riders make contact. Racing incident - no fault of Chad's, Josh's, or Trey's. Trey jumped into the corner to make the pass on Kenny this weekend and has a win for it. Nobody is saying anything about it even though it was the exact same move that he tried on Reed.
Absolutely, its a very fine line between being a hero and being a dumbass in this sport. If Trey makes the pass on Reed everyones talking about how badass it is, but he lands on him and its a dumbass move.

Reeds faced the same thing, if he makes that pass last year instead of clipping Kenny's rear wheel he's a hero, instead he ate shit and he's riding over his head.

You follow where im going with this?
Olson
2/9/2015 11:18am
haydos25 wrote:

mx317 wrote:
This guy gets it. Others just want to make shit up in their heads.
I should've left my original post clean and just copied this. Spot on.
Grieby54
2/9/2015 11:21am
Grieby54 wrote:
If Eli didn't catch Reed's footpeg, it's just a normal pass and nobody thinks twice about it. But Reed calls him a dumbass for a freak...

haydos25 wrote:
Absolutely, its a very fine line between being a hero and being a dumbass in this sport. If Trey makes the pass on Reed everyones talking...
Absolutely, its a very fine line between being a hero and being a dumbass in this sport. If Trey makes the pass on Reed everyones talking about how badass it is, but he lands on him and its a dumbass move.

Reeds faced the same thing, if he makes that pass last year instead of clipping Kenny's rear wheel he's a hero, instead he ate shit and he's riding over his head.

You follow where im going with this?
Totally follow. I guess I don't think that any of those guys out there are dumbasses, though. I don't think Reed was a dumbass for clipping Kenny last year (I don't think there was anything he could have done differently), and I don't think Reed is a dumbass for going bar-to-bar with Grant.

These guys all ride on the razor's edge, and it's a fine line between hero and zero for sure. But the only "dumbass" move I've seen this year is Chad riding Trey into a tough block.
haydos25
Fantasy
3333rd
2/9/2015 11:26am
Grieby54 wrote:
Totally follow. I guess I don't think that any of those guys out there are dumbasses, though. I don't think Reed was a dumbass for clipping...
Totally follow. I guess I don't think that any of those guys out there are dumbasses, though. I don't think Reed was a dumbass for clipping Kenny last year (I don't think there was anything he could have done differently), and I don't think Reed is a dumbass for going bar-to-bar with Grant.

These guys all ride on the razor's edge, and it's a fine line between hero and zero for sure. But the only "dumbass" move I've seen this year is Chad riding Trey into a tough block.
Well I dont think you would find anybody in here or even Reed himself that would argue that wasnt a dumbass move so your point is fairly valid on this occasion.
Grieby54
2/9/2015 11:29am
Grieby54 wrote:
Totally follow. I guess I don't think that any of those guys out there are dumbasses, though. I don't think Reed was a dumbass for clipping...

haydos25 wrote:
Well I dont think you would find anybody in here or even Reed himself that would argue that wasnt a dumbass move so your point is...
Well I dont think you would find anybody in here or even Reed himself that would argue that wasnt a dumbass move so your point is fairly valid on this occasion.
I think you'd be surprised Pinch
kongols
2/9/2015 11:36am
Grieby54 wrote:
Out of crocodile tears.
peelout
2/9/2015 11:41am Edited Date/Time 2/9/2015 11:49am
landing on someone's back (TC) and incidentally riding a guy high into a turn with contact (CR and JG) are two totally different things in my opinion. even watching them on the replay they are totally separated incidents.

one (CR and TC) was right out of a corner and another (JG and CR) was side by side down a rhythm lane that they had both been going 3-3-3.

also, regarding the Eli thing, if that was Barcia or Reed doing the move Eli did people in here would be crucifying them. in my mind it was good hard racing and Eli fell as a result of getting a little too aggressive when the pass simply wasn't there yet. Eli was visibly faster and could have waited and passed, but as we've seen in the past, he get's a little excited and ended up on the ground as a result. not the smartest move.

my opinion
Zycki11
2/9/2015 11:44am
Just breaking teer ducts. Not crying at all
Grieby54
2/9/2015 11:51am
peelout wrote:
landing on someone's back (TC) and incidentally riding a guy high into a turn with contact (CR and JG) are two totally different things in my...
landing on someone's back (TC) and incidentally riding a guy high into a turn with contact (CR and JG) are two totally different things in my opinion. even watching them on the replay they are totally separated incidents.

one (CR and TC) was right out of a corner and another (JG and CR) was side by side down a rhythm lane that they had both been going 3-3-3.

also, regarding the Eli thing, if that was Barcia or Reed doing the move Eli did people in here would be crucifying them. in my mind it was good hard racing and Eli fell as a result of getting a little too aggressive when the pass simply wasn't there yet. Eli was visibly faster and could have waited and passed, but as we've seen in the past, he get's a little excited and ended up on the ground as a result. not the smartest move.

my opinion
Maybe the comparison was a stretch on the two incidents. I just can't help but to think that Chad wouldn't have the same "racing incident" mindset if the roles were reversed. But, that's likely because in my eyes the incident with Trey was a racing incident, whereas some people disagree.

Fair enough points, Peelout.
TriRacer27
Fantasy
44th
2/9/2015 12:01pm
Grieby, I kinda see your point, but I think you take it too far.

For me, it's not so much the fact that he knocked Grant off the track or that he doesn't see a similarity between that and Trey's pass. Whatever, every pass and situation on the track is different and unique, so I think you are going to far with that comparison.

HOWEVER, I totally agree that Chad just sounds whiny this year. If he goes for a pass like Eli did, early on in the race, it's just doing what you have to do to get up front. It's aggressive. Yet if Eli tries it on him, it's a dumbass move. When he's doing well, he talks all about his ability and experience to adapt to the track, to read the track, to know better than his competition how the track will evolve. When he doesn't do well, all of a sudden that experience is gone.

Wonder what would've happened if Grant had cut to the inside a bit more and Reed had taken them both down.... Probably still would've been Grant's fault somehow.
Moto75
2/9/2015 12:06pm
An interview a couple of weeks ago on Canards bike (I think), mechanic said the Ti footpegs were 3k. I'm guessing they're ordered as a set.
Flex
2/9/2015 12:14pm
Grieby54 wrote:
Titanium i would think.
Flex
2/9/2015 12:16pm Edited Date/Time 2/9/2015 12:16pm
Olson wrote:
Great interview. Great answers. If you fail to see the difference between Canards pass and Reeds you're blind. Eli might not be a dumbass but there's...
Great interview. Great answers. If you fail to see the difference between Canards pass and Reeds you're blind. Eli might not be a dumbass but there's a reason he ends up on the ground.
There is also a reason why Eli has a win this year and Chad does not.
Darryl916
2/9/2015 12:32pm
Chad just comes across as an A hole. I don't think it's so much what he says or does but more so how he says and does it. There are ways to do what you have to do and not be an @ss. In my humble opinion he's failing at the PR portion of his job more than the racing part.

I've never been a fan but as soon as I started to really respect the guy he comes with the "everyone is an idiot" attitude.

Still not a fan. No worries though, he doesn't care. lol
JeepnMike
2/9/2015 12:44pm
Darryl916 wrote:
Chad just comes across as an A hole. I don't think it's so much what he says or does but more so how he says and...
Chad just comes across as an A hole. I don't think it's so much what he says or does but more so how he says and does it. There are ways to do what you have to do and not be an @ss. In my humble opinion he's failing at the PR portion of his job more than the racing part.

I've never been a fan but as soon as I started to really respect the guy he comes with the "everyone is an idiot" attitude.

I like folks saying what's on their mind, but I agree with you here. He somehow managed to sound egotistical and deflated at the same time. At least if you are going to be egotistical, back it up (Webb).
TheWeapon
Fantasy
53rd
2/9/2015 1:23pm
$3500 footpeg. I broke a footpeg once that probably would have cost $3500 to replace (it took the frame with it)....
RedRum666
2/9/2015 1:25pm
I didnt see the Reed pass on Eli because they cut away just before it happened during the broadcast.... But what it sounds like is Reed did something that he knew would make Eli mad .. Reed saw an opening and made an agressive move on Eli..There was some good contact from what it sounds like....El was obviously faster than Reed and tried to do the same thing, make an aggressive pass and the footpeg in the wheel spoiled all the fun....

So Eli is a dumbass because he fell making an equally aggressive pass to Reed on Eli to turns prior?
peelout
2/9/2015 1:30pm Edited Date/Time 2/9/2015 1:31pm
RedRum666 wrote:
I didnt see the Reed pass on Eli because they cut away just before it happened during the broadcast.... But what it sounds like is Reed...
I didnt see the Reed pass on Eli because they cut away just before it happened during the broadcast.... But what it sounds like is Reed did something that he knew would make Eli mad .. Reed saw an opening and made an agressive move on Eli..There was some good contact from what it sounds like....El was obviously faster than Reed and tried to do the same thing, make an aggressive pass and the footpeg in the wheel spoiled all the fun....

So Eli is a dumbass because he fell making an equally aggressive pass to Reed on Eli to turns prior?
umm... you couldn't be further from the truth even if you tried.

i was almost positive that Reed was ahead of Eli from the very start.
philG
2/9/2015 1:37pm
Flex wrote:
There is also a reason why Eli has a win this year and Chad does not.
I dont think Chad would trade any of his wins for the one that Tomac has somehow.
RedRum666
2/9/2015 1:43pm
I think Reed is just as frustrated, if not more......black flag or not, he would still be pretty far out of the points race.

had he not been Dq'd he would have made 10-12 points that night at best.....
RedRum666
2/9/2015 1:52pm
Darryl916 wrote:
Chad just comes across as an A hole. I don't think it's so much what he says or does but more so how he says and...

hahaha.....Oh, he cares alright.... he can say he doesnt all he wants.....
hvaughn88
2/9/2015 2:00pm
Grieby54 wrote:
unicorn horn
Crush
2/9/2015 2:05pm
Dunge, Eli and Reed were going through the rhythm lane in that ordwr, Reed and Eli got a run on Dungey who messed up the last triple, Reed inside of both of them, dungey on the middle, cut on Eli, Eli tried to blast it all the way around the outside, you can see it on the replay and then put together their finish line positions to see how it worked out...

Chad called the move silly because it wasn't there. And it wasn't. Eli was maybe the fastest guy on the track And cost himself a shot by trying to make a pass that wasn't there... Statement of facts... Don't see anyone complaining that Kenny said he didn't see his pitboard so he didn't know what lap it was, or Nick Wey messed him up.... Just statement of facts.
RedRum666
2/9/2015 2:08pm
peelout wrote:
umm... you couldn't be further from the truth even if you tried.

i was almost positive that Reed was ahead of Eli from the very start.
How so (further from the truth?)....I had some beers in me, but not that many....

Reed says Eli was mad at him (Reed) because a guy in front of Eli held him up in the corner and Reed made the pass on Eli.....Some other folks said it was a pretty good /agressive/block pass on Eli....hence the reason Reed said " he was Mad, I think".... Reed knew it probably pissed Eli off.....

I thought to myself when it happened Eli looked to be going overkill and it bit him for sure.....

Post a reply to: Chad's Racer X Interview

The Latest