Chad Watts On Two Strokes

bd
Edited Date/Time 6/7/2014 11:05pm
Watts shares his opinion: https://www.facebook.com/chad.watts.549?fref=ts

My PC is acting up.... I would print screen it (however my pc wont let me).

By the way, his work is master pieces.
|
enketchum
6/5/2014 10:16pm
You can just copy paste

[quote=Chad Watts]I don't voice my personal opinion on social media. This will be the first, since four strokes have been the main produced Moto cross / super cross bikes manufactured..,. They have been more riders with injuries and even worse fatalites. Over my 16 years when I worked on the race circuit before I started my business, I've seen a lot of riders get hurt. It's sad, during that time a couple racers went to heaven. Look all the dnf's this year, riders hurt, even worse family's loosing their child. Racing is dangerous, but it's what we love. Bring back two strokes,four strokes are meant to drive to work.
— at Watts Perfections. [/quote]
bd
6/5/2014 10:21pm Edited Date/Time 6/5/2014 10:21pm
enketchum wrote:
You can just copy paste [quote=Chad Watts]I don't voice my personal opinion on social media. This will be the first, since four strokes have been the...
You can just copy paste

[quote=Chad Watts]I don't voice my personal opinion on social media. This will be the first, since four strokes have been the main produced Moto cross / super cross bikes manufactured..,. They have been more riders with injuries and even worse fatalites. Over my 16 years when I worked on the race circuit before I started my business, I've seen a lot of riders get hurt. It's sad, during that time a couple racers went to heaven. Look all the dnf's this year, riders hurt, even worse family's loosing their child. Racing is dangerous, but it's what we love. Bring back two strokes,four strokes are meant to drive to work.
— at Watts Perfections. [/quote]
Just for verification..... he posted exactly what I read. I do not like doing it with so much bullshit (changing text words etc happening on the web).
Socket946
6/5/2014 10:22pm
Sometimes some people should not be given the pedestal they have. Making claims without any facts but what you think is a scary result.

The Shop

bd
6/5/2014 10:31pm
Socket946 wrote:
Sometimes some people should not be given the pedestal they have. Making claims without any facts but what you think is a scary result.

He's not the only industry insider that shares this opinion. I have heard others say, "lower suspension travel."

This is a very dangerous sport. Is the increase in big accidents four strokes, track, suspension - or is easy access to media? I do not have the answer.

No need to slam him personally, dispute it with facts. Our industry needs to think about this.... its healthy to talk about.

Travis_Hudson
Fantasy
1089th
6/5/2014 10:47pm
Wow. I gotta say, I kind of agree with him. For the record I am not a four stroke hater.....I enjoyed racing them very much, but it got to a point for me, when I wasn't chasing "the dream" anymore, I wanted to get back to riding something simple, fun. The fact is these new four strokes are capable of way more than the riders. On a two stroke you have to do things correctly to go fast......can't be said on the same level as a four stroke. Jmo.
mx510
Fantasy
1744th
6/5/2014 10:52pm
I 100% agree with him. 4-strokes have enabled riders that aren't ready to attempt obstacles to try them and, allow riders to push it past their limits before they even know what their limits truly are (coming from a guy who loves his 450s).
bvm111
6/5/2014 11:00pm
I have to agree with Travis and chad, coming from an era prior to four strokes and still riding a KX250 I strive to perfect my technic! Without technic you can't go fast on a 2 stroke, and after 30 years of riding I'm still striving as I am slow!!!!!!

These machines out ride the rider as opposed to the riider out riding the machine, I have witnessed both and one has a drastically worse out come for sure!

Not a hater as I am actually considering buying a four stroke this summer!
JB 19
6/5/2014 11:05pm
I definitely think the bikes have become capable of so much that they provide a false sense of skill. Fuel injection made things worse and I have a feeling we are in store for another leap forward with suspension technology.
smrscott
6/6/2014 2:57am Edited Date/Time 6/6/2014 3:00am
It would be interesting to see if there is any data to back up this notion up? The bottom line is motorcross is dangerous, but as a kid the worse fear was breaking break a leg. Then the biggest fear was to get paralyzed after Bailey, Magoo and seeing Mike Young and Tim Hannah first hand. Now in the past few years death is now in the picture. Is this because of the internet and news did not travel back in the day or is this new data.

As bikes have evolved so have tracks - I am in my mid-40s and jump larger jumps NOW, than I did when I was decent intermediate back in the late 80s. I ride slower but jump bigger, it is not right but that is what's happening.

You have to jump to keep time with most tracks - FACT. If you mellow out a track, people don't show up and they call it a VET track or call it too easy. Back in the day tracks might have had one 40-65-foot double to challenge fast riders or pros, Now tracks have 5-7 or more jumps that are 50-60 plus. Some doubles, some tables, some step up. Add more big jumps, increase the odds something might happen.

The bikes make it way too easy to ride fast and jump big gaps with ease. The 4-strokes are easy to ride, go REAL fast and the suspension is amazing. They are a blast but when things go wrong they go real wrong. If you keep your skills and your ability in CHECK, they are no more dangerous than a 2-stroke, maybe even safer. HOWEVER, try telling that to a teenager or a racer during a race. Yes I can ride at 80% and ride and have fun. Yet when the gate drops that 80% goes to 100 and often 110 - meaning racers ride over their head or ability. And when things can go wrong at 100-110% on a four-stroke, the result can be a bad crash.

For rec track riders, four-strokes can be great and fun, for racers and riders trying to become better and faster riders, there could be some truth in what Chad is speculating.

Even at over 200lb, I would buy a 250F if I knew they would last longer and not cost more than a 450 to keep tight for two seasons.

500cc Two-Strokes were a handful to ride and eventually died off. It took too much skill/balls to ride them and they were way too fast for most racers. Now the 450s pump out 60hp and are easier to ride. Meaning you are hauling butt. When 60hp hooks up at the wrong time going that fast, things can go wrong.

Mellow the tracks, people complain, mellow the bikes, people complain. Maybe the industry should do a study and maybe kill 60hp 450s and maybe go to maybe 225cc four-strokes and maybe 325cc four-strokes

Even if Roczen. Bracia, Dungey, Stewart, Canard were all on 200cc 35 hp bikes, the racing would be still good. Maybe not as fast or the tracks would be different but the racing would still be good.

Some of the best races ever were in the 70s with Hannah and Glover racing 30-35hp 125cc bikes

My rant is over - NEXT

hvaughn88
6/6/2014 4:43am Edited Date/Time 6/6/2014 4:45am
JB 19 wrote:
I definitely think the bikes have become capable of so much that they provide a false sense of skill. Fuel injection made things worse and I...
I definitely think the bikes have become capable of so much that they provide a false sense of skill. Fuel injection made things worse and I have a feeling we are in store for another leap forward with suspension technology.
I agree about the false sense of skill. I don't really know if I agree with the fuel injection opinion, though. I like carburetors just as much as the next guy, but reducing the chance of carb bog through the implement of FI seems safer to me. I know we will get the guys that say, "if you know what you're doing, you can get a carb to run flawless." But here's the deal, a lot of people don't know what they're doing when it comes to carbs. I'll even lump myself in that category. I'm not great with them, but trying to learn more and get better at tuning them.
IWreckALot
6/6/2014 5:18am
There's no real good answer here. Some of the most interesting obstacles on tracks are the big jumps. If you take those away, you lose some of the zest of racing. Same with other obstacles like whoops and high speed sections. So changing the tracks might make some of the racing go backwards.

If you tone down the bikes, you start making it to where riders can't compete the way they do.

This is purely on the pro level. The arguments change when you start talking about weekend warriors to amateur riders.
hvaughn88
6/6/2014 5:27am
What if the pro level got rid of production based rules and went back to works bikes? That way the bikes being produced can be more focused on the weekend warrior and not the pro racer? Might suck for privateers but it's not like the factory bikes are necessarily following all the rules anyways, haha
6/6/2014 5:37am
I think two strokes made the sport better and four strokes ultimately made it worse.

I say that in the past tense because that's what it is - the past. The argument is over, not because the two stroke side was wrong but because the other side of the argument - the Japanese factories - didn't care who was right and who was wrong. Nor do the highest strategists in those companies care specifically about the sport. They care about selling things, and they care about profitability, and they decided that four strokes were the best bikes to do that and that's what they're going to build. So lets stop the argument. It's done.
Jack mehoff
6/6/2014 5:40am
All you do is look at the age off this kids getting hurt , there is no transition any more we all know that a 250f is competitive with a 250 2stroke , who ever thought that was good for a young kid lost there mind , to make a two stroke fast you have to finess that bike ,it's a natural progression it takes time , not with a250 f any joe racer can go fast have the speed to hit stuff they never would have had before , and the inertia that the 4bangers make , they chase you where most off the time a2stroke ejects you . The sad part is ama is a puppet show and the people making the armature rules mx sports will never stand up to the mfg s and tell them that they are not running 250fs in schoolboy any more. If little Johnny can run 125 schoolboy and 125a,b,c vs 250 f and collage boy , you are going to solve a huge problem in this sport right now at one time in New York State you had to be 16 years old to race a 250 , the only way I see this changing is a couple off these states getting involved and setting a age limit for these kids to ride these bikes and at that point if the mfgs want to play they are going to have to make a125 . The only mfg that gives a shit about the sport is ktm they have the right bikes 85 105 ( back in the day this was school boy) 125 and a 250
hillbilly
smrscott wrote:
It would be interesting to see if there is any data to back up this notion up? The bottom line is motorcross is dangerous, but as...
It would be interesting to see if there is any data to back up this notion up? The bottom line is motorcross is dangerous, but as a kid the worse fear was breaking break a leg. Then the biggest fear was to get paralyzed after Bailey, Magoo and seeing Mike Young and Tim Hannah first hand. Now in the past few years death is now in the picture. Is this because of the internet and news did not travel back in the day or is this new data.

As bikes have evolved so have tracks - I am in my mid-40s and jump larger jumps NOW, than I did when I was decent intermediate back in the late 80s. I ride slower but jump bigger, it is not right but that is what's happening.

You have to jump to keep time with most tracks - FACT. If you mellow out a track, people don't show up and they call it a VET track or call it too easy. Back in the day tracks might have had one 40-65-foot double to challenge fast riders or pros, Now tracks have 5-7 or more jumps that are 50-60 plus. Some doubles, some tables, some step up. Add more big jumps, increase the odds something might happen.

The bikes make it way too easy to ride fast and jump big gaps with ease. The 4-strokes are easy to ride, go REAL fast and the suspension is amazing. They are a blast but when things go wrong they go real wrong. If you keep your skills and your ability in CHECK, they are no more dangerous than a 2-stroke, maybe even safer. HOWEVER, try telling that to a teenager or a racer during a race. Yes I can ride at 80% and ride and have fun. Yet when the gate drops that 80% goes to 100 and often 110 - meaning racers ride over their head or ability. And when things can go wrong at 100-110% on a four-stroke, the result can be a bad crash.

For rec track riders, four-strokes can be great and fun, for racers and riders trying to become better and faster riders, there could be some truth in what Chad is speculating.

Even at over 200lb, I would buy a 250F if I knew they would last longer and not cost more than a 450 to keep tight for two seasons.

500cc Two-Strokes were a handful to ride and eventually died off. It took too much skill/balls to ride them and they were way too fast for most racers. Now the 450s pump out 60hp and are easier to ride. Meaning you are hauling butt. When 60hp hooks up at the wrong time going that fast, things can go wrong.

Mellow the tracks, people complain, mellow the bikes, people complain. Maybe the industry should do a study and maybe kill 60hp 450s and maybe go to maybe 225cc four-strokes and maybe 325cc four-strokes

Even if Roczen. Bracia, Dungey, Stewart, Canard were all on 200cc 35 hp bikes, the racing would be still good. Maybe not as fast or the tracks would be different but the racing would still be good.

Some of the best races ever were in the 70s with Hannah and Glover racing 30-35hp 125cc bikes

My rant is over - NEXT

You are correct,it is the tracks not the bikes.

There should be guidelines set by the AMA like in sx ghat would limit huge gaps to say 2 per track,or a length limit.

We ask a lot of our young riders now days.
Crush
hvaughn88 wrote:
What if the pro level got rid of production based rules and went back to works bikes? That way the bikes being produced can be more...
What if the pro level got rid of production based rules and went back to works bikes? That way the bikes being produced can be more focused on the weekend warrior and not the pro racer? Might suck for privateers but it's not like the factory bikes are necessarily following all the rules anyways, haha
Manufacturers wouldn't give a shit, there is a cost issue for them to worry about. They'd just keep going with what they've got.
ATKpilot99
6/6/2014 5:47am
Do 4 strokes cause more engine braking induced endos ?
Crush
6/6/2014 6:01am
Maybe at first in the change over period but you'd assume people have adjusted for that now wouldn't you?

More likely just outright speed.

A 250eff is basically as quick around a track as a 250 two stroke was and is considered the little bike. It's also easier to go fast on. Jimmy random can buy a bike and learn on it and then nail it, get perfect traction, and get himself in trouble. No one would have ever recommended to start on a 250 two banger back in the day.
JBlain619
6/6/2014 6:11am Edited Date/Time 6/6/2014 6:16am
JB 19 wrote:
I definitely think the bikes have become capable of so much that they provide a false sense of skill. Fuel injection made things worse and I...
^^^ Absolutely correct. The skill that it takes to ride a 2 stroke big bike fast is lost on todays generation. They have all become throttle jockeys.
Digger29
6/6/2014 6:15am
smrscott wrote:
It would be interesting to see if there is any data to back up this notion up? The bottom line is motorcross is dangerous, but as...

My rant is over - NEXT

Your rant was right on point and I completely agree 100% with everything you said. Great job and definitely food for thought. I've been racing MX at every level and the highest level for a time in the late 80s and early 90s so I feel that I've seen it all and you're not 100% correct you're 1000% correct. We have a 110' triple this season on the front straight at Central Village and I've seen many novices jumping it on 450s with zero skill. I can smoke everyone of them on this track but I see more and more novices with next to nothing for skill jumping this jump every wk.
JBlain619
6/6/2014 6:19am
Socket946 wrote:
Wow. I am faster on my 2 stroke than my 4.
Are we talking 250 2t to 250f??? If so, you should be. Another question. Did you go straight from mini's to a 250F or did you ride 125's?
Crush
6/6/2014 6:20am
Socket946 wrote:
Wow. I am faster on my 2 stroke than my 4.
You're either:

A) The only one on the planet

Cool Lieing

C) Haven't timed yourself

D) Don't know how to ride a four stroke

or E) All of the above, a two stroke taliban member and in massive denial.

I still like two strokes more as well dude! Woohoo
newmann
6/6/2014 6:24am
In response to the post above regarding carb bog, how many instances of FI cut out have we witnessed lately? Getting more common than carb bog.

Local tracks with gaps that seem more tailored to the 10% rather than 90% of who show up to ride. Simple fix, fill in the gaps so people can roll the jumps at a higher rate of speed and not be in so much danger of being landed on by the guy clearing the triple.

500's went away because they were too powerful and yet here we are today with 15 year old beginners on 60 hp bikes because it's the "in" thing.

Watts knows what's up, it's not like he is new to this. He's not the only one as I have also heard it from former pro racers myself. And besides, it's painfully obvious that the injury and more notably, the death rate has increased. Obits in MX used to be an occasional read, now it's a weekly occurrence.

People at the top of this sport should be addressing these issues but they won't touch what little bit of a cash cow they have left.
6/6/2014 6:25am
I find it ludicrous and unfounded to blame 4 strokes for any increase in injuries or deaths in or sport. I, for one have never felt safer or under more control while riding since switching to a four stroke in the year 2000. It may be related to my riding style but can assure you that I crash about 90% less now. It is a fact that the chassis of a four stroke is less affected by power input than that of a two stroke. Just imagine if 500 two strokes made a return and what the injury situation would be like. I can think of many other things to blame than engine configuration for any increase in injuries or decrease in safety of motocross. One shot from a handgun and you're just as dead as 25 from an AR 15. A pencil never spelled a word wrong without a hand guiding it.
bents
Fantasy
710th
6/6/2014 6:26am
Modern 4 strokes are too good-motocross for dummies and they do allow lesser skilled/inexperienced riders to do attempt much more than they should and too many younger kids are getting on 250f's too soon.
Paul B
6/6/2014 6:30am
A lot of good points...as I mentioned in another thread though, if they designed tracks to be less dangerous, you'd have better racing. As digger points out, he can smoke people doing 110 foot doubles, take the double out, make it a plateau or rhythm section and you still see great racing, the fastest guy still wins and you have fewer people leaving on a stretcher.

You see all the carnage even at the pro level. No kidding your going to see it at the amateur level. How many times have you watched a novice clear an obstacle he has no business doing, and even though he does it (somehow pulls it off) you have to turn your head every lap because it's so sketchy you think your going to see him wad up and snap his femur? I hate getting nervous watching OTHERS race.
rcm406
6/6/2014 6:33am
JB 19 wrote:
JBlain619 wrote:
^^^ Absolutely correct. The skill that it takes to ride a 2 stroke big bike fast is lost on todays generation. They have all become throttle...
^^^ Absolutely correct. The skill that it takes to ride a 2 stroke big bike fast is lost on todays generation. They have all become throttle jockeys.
Kinda off topic, IMO that's what sets apart James, RC, and Reed from other champions of the sport. They were able to dominate on 2stokes and 4strokes.
Crush
6/6/2014 6:37am
I find it ludicrous and unfounded to blame 4 strokes for any increase in injuries or deaths in or sport. I, for one have never felt...
I find it ludicrous and unfounded to blame 4 strokes for any increase in injuries or deaths in or sport. I, for one have never felt safer or under more control while riding since switching to a four stroke in the year 2000. It may be related to my riding style but can assure you that I crash about 90% less now. It is a fact that the chassis of a four stroke is less affected by power input than that of a two stroke. Just imagine if 500 two strokes made a return and what the injury situation would be like. I can think of many other things to blame than engine configuration for any increase in injuries or decrease in safety of motocross. One shot from a handgun and you're just as dead as 25 from an AR 15. A pencil never spelled a word wrong without a hand guiding it.
I have no idea bout gun comparisons...

BUT.

Out of control spinning and going nowhere on a 125 and hooking up on a 250f, are completely different SPEED wise... Not sure many have died getting jiggy in a corner. Hucking big jumps and outride speed, have DEFINITELY become easier on 4 strokes–more the point i'd imagine.

And this is not even talking about 250 two stroke v 450 comparisons for speed...

You're also making comparisons on Your personal riding style and comfort, and I agree. I feel my 350 is so easy to ride... But I also hammered myself last time I rode it because I felt comfortable... Regardless, that comfort doesn't relate to a lot of joes at the track or the incredible speed that is attainable for pro-am kids on 250 effs... an age group where there really has seemed to be an increase in fatalities.

Post a reply to: Chad Watts On Two Strokes

The Latest