Chad Reed....

Micahdogg
Edited Date/Time 11/24/2015 7:03pm
I'm a pretty diehard Chad Reed fan, but father time is who he is. I don't think it would be an earth-shattering statement to say that Reed will probably not see another SX Championship before he retires. I believe he is still fast enough to win races though, so it has to be a tough spot for him. Knowing you can win, having the desire to compete, and facing your own mortality.

So I got thinking, is is more important to Chad Reed to win another Championship or to have fun? I bet if he was honest with himself, he would just like to compete, be a threat for a win and enjoy himself. In that regard, if he doesn't have anything secured at this point - how awesome would it be for him to ride a new YZ250? Unlike most others in the field, he knows how to ride one and knows what they are like. Does anyone think he would be at such a disadvantage to not even make Main Events on one?

No fancy hauler, no big dollars, just getting back to the basics. Not only would people cheer like crazy to see a smoker out there, but the best part is - if he wins, maybe its the bike. if he loses, maybe its the bike. It takes a lot of pressure off him and I think he could actually focus on having fun, playing up to the fans, trying to do the impossible and get a win.

Is that really a bad scenario?
|
Moto810
11/24/2015 9:50am
I agree with what your saying. Even if he does not ride a smoker yet he clearly said he is just having fun and retiring. Go out in style and let the fans see you enjoy yourself. No shame in not wanting to get hurt anymore! We all know he has the skill.
11/24/2015 9:55am
He's always said he races to win. The 2 stroke thing, wont that ever go away?
Micahdogg
11/24/2015 10:00am
Most efficient engine in the world...why would it ever go away?
RPM68
11/24/2015 10:05am Edited Date/Time 11/24/2015 10:17am
im a 2 stroke fanatic but you guys gotta get real...LET IT GO.

If anyone is going to show up to a professional event, *and supported by a factory team* it will be on the most competitive machine.

***Edit: I agree on the publicity stunt thing, that's just brilliant way of being noticed.

The Shop

NV825
Fantasy
2730th
11/24/2015 10:10am
Imagine the stadium announcers having to explain every single weekend why Reed's bike sounds differently, and that it's a 250 engine but not allowed race the other 250 engines because it's a 2-stroke and not a 4-stroke.

Reed races to win, and handicapping himself with a less powerful engine is not something he will do. You 2-stroke guys need to accept that the rules are written to make it so a 250 2-stroke can only compete against a 450 4-stroke. The rules need to change to either allow a bigger engine for the 2-stroke or smaller engine for the 4-stroke. Until then, please stop suggesting a fantasy world where a world class rider would handicap themselves with big $$$ on the line.
mx836
11/24/2015 10:11am
RPM68 wrote:
im a 2 stroke fanatic but you guys gotta get real...LET IT GO. If anyone is going to show up to a professional event, *and supported...
im a 2 stroke fanatic but you guys gotta get real...LET IT GO.

If anyone is going to show up to a professional event, *and supported by a factory team* it will be on the most competitive machine.

***Edit: I agree on the publicity stunt thing, that's just brilliant way of being noticed.
Exactly. Please, please, please stop posting threads about so and so racing a 2 stroke at the pro level. It is a stupid idea for anybody who isn't just out there for publicity, which Reed gets plenty of.
Jt$
11/24/2015 10:14am
Let it go
Micahdogg
11/24/2015 10:16am
The spirit of the post was suggesting people could have fun racing and not be a threat for a Championship. The field is full of guys who routinely don't make mains, or who have never won. Look at Mike Alessi. Has he ever won? Is his machine the most competitive?

In reality, the 450's are so overly bloated with excess HP that several top 5 250F guys can go quicker on the same track. And as much as people want the 2 stroke thing to stop coming up - they are still here. They are a threat (look at Canada) and they aren't going away. And someone like Reed could still embarrass a lot of people on it. Steinke on a 125 getting lapped has more fans than most of the guys beating him. Reed would be a legend on a smoker again.

So we can talk about having fun..........or talk about Reed showing up on the most competitive machine and racing for another Championship in 2016. So lets get real.
NV825
Fantasy
2730th
11/24/2015 10:28am
Micahdogg wrote:
The spirit of the post was suggesting people could have fun racing and not be a threat for a Championship. The field is full of guys...
The spirit of the post was suggesting people could have fun racing and not be a threat for a Championship. The field is full of guys who routinely don't make mains, or who have never won. Look at Mike Alessi. Has he ever won? Is his machine the most competitive?

In reality, the 450's are so overly bloated with excess HP that several top 5 250F guys can go quicker on the same track. And as much as people want the 2 stroke thing to stop coming up - they are still here. They are a threat (look at Canada) and they aren't going away. And someone like Reed could still embarrass a lot of people on it. Steinke on a 125 getting lapped has more fans than most of the guys beating him. Reed would be a legend on a smoker again.

So we can talk about having fun..........or talk about Reed showing up on the most competitive machine and racing for another Championship in 2016. So lets get real.
Reed is racing to win races and win the championship. While you may think he has no chance for the c'ship, him racing a 450 gives him a better chance than a 0% chance with a 250 2-stroke.
IWreckALot
11/24/2015 10:32am
Here is my prediction. I think Chad Reed and James Stewart will come out in 2016 both on smokers. . . and will tie for first. . . every race.
11/24/2015 10:34am
Remember last year when he rode a KX in opening ceremonies? He mentioned wanting to hit a triple on it, but his team talking him out of it. The last time he rode a two stroke competitively was a long time ago. No way he would ever race one.
Olson
11/24/2015 10:46am
Great thread!

Not as great as a 2-stroke though. Wink
Micahdogg
11/24/2015 10:52am
You know Jeremy McGrath used to race to win and for championships too. I think he pretty much did this same thing. Went back to a smoker in a sea of thumpers, had fun. While the notion of Reed riding a two stroke for fun is a hard concept for some people to grasp, I think "let it go" might be more appropriate for the people who think Reed needs to be on the most competitive machine with his eye on a championship.

I would just like to see the dude have some fun.
DownSouth
11/24/2015 10:58am Edited Date/Time 11/24/2015 11:03am
Micahdogg wrote:
You know Jeremy McGrath used to race to win and for championships too. I think he pretty much did this same thing. Went back to a...
You know Jeremy McGrath used to race to win and for championships too. I think he pretty much did this same thing. Went back to a smoker in a sea of thumpers, had fun. While the notion of Reed riding a two stroke for fun is a hard concept for some people to grasp, I think "let it go" might be more appropriate for the people who think Reed needs to be on the most competitive machine with his eye on a championship.

After 4 or 5 races the fun ran out and MC went to the 450.

It was actually only 2 races before he switched

"Two more top contenders have switched power valves and fatty pipes for intake valves, exhaust valves and camshafts prior to round three of the Amp’d Mobile/AMA Supercross Series at Angel Stadium in Anaheim tonight.

Jeremy McGrath, the seven-time AMA Supercross Champion, has abandoned his factory Honda CR250 for a factory Honda CRF450R, and BooKoo Honda rider David Vuillemin has followed suit, also switching from a 250cc two-stroke to a 450cc four-srtoke."
tprice07
11/24/2015 11:51am Edited Date/Time 11/24/2015 11:54am
Micahdogg wrote:
I'm a pretty diehard Chad Reed fan, but father time is who he is. I don't think it would be an earth-shattering statement to say that...
I'm a pretty diehard Chad Reed fan, but father time is who he is. I don't think it would be an earth-shattering statement to say that Reed will probably not see another SX Championship before he retires. I believe he is still fast enough to win races though, so it has to be a tough spot for him. Knowing you can win, having the desire to compete, and facing your own mortality.

So I got thinking, is is more important to Chad Reed to win another Championship or to have fun? I bet if he was honest with himself, he would just like to compete, be a threat for a win and enjoy himself. In that regard, if he doesn't have anything secured at this point - how awesome would it be for him to ride a new YZ250? Unlike most others in the field, he knows how to ride one and knows what they are like. Does anyone think he would be at such a disadvantage to not even make Main Events on one?

No fancy hauler, no big dollars, just getting back to the basics. Not only would people cheer like crazy to see a smoker out there, but the best part is - if he wins, maybe its the bike. if he loses, maybe its the bike. It takes a lot of pressure off him and I think he could actually focus on having fun, playing up to the fans, trying to do the impossible and get a win.

Is that really a bad scenario?
With as many wins as Chad Reed has, I can't imagine he is aiming for just wins. That might have been the case a few years ago when things were looking down, but he has nothing to prove in the speed department. In fact, when he was winning championships it wasn't his wins alone that got him the title. He used to be the Dungey. Every title He had the right balance of speed and consistency. We have seen how mental this sport is and Chad seems to have is share of ups and downs with injury and misfortune. Thad said, if he rediscovers himself and goes back to the same formula and motivation that got him to where he is today, I think he can still win a championship.

Something most of us will never understand is that ability to step, or jump, out of our own comfort zone and push through until we are on top. Many people make excuses, lose motivation, and tap out before reaching their true potential. Chad Reed is a person who has come back many times and shown success. This isn't the first time he has found himself in limbo.

I believe Chad Reed wants to win a title and do it in a way that no one doubts who was the best rider that season. I think he wants it bad enough that he will run like you said... "No fancy hauler, no big dollars, just getting back to basics" He has the box van, he has the bike(s) and parts. I think something will come together, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the guy show up in a box van with a mechanic. Eventually someone would get hurt, he would fill in.

That all said, RCH will take him on before having to go down that road. The hope he had with Yamaha was to have a career after retiring. I can see him fitting in with RCH for years to come after retirement. Whether that is a tester/coach or even a team manager. Based on the interview with Kenny's dad, they may need some structure.

Rich Piano
11/24/2015 11:58am
NV825 wrote:
Imagine the stadium announcers having to explain every single weekend why Reed's bike sounds differently, and that it's a 250 engine but not allowed race the...
Imagine the stadium announcers having to explain every single weekend why Reed's bike sounds differently, and that it's a 250 engine but not allowed race the other 250 engines because it's a 2-stroke and not a 4-stroke.

Reed races to win, and handicapping himself with a less powerful engine is not something he will do. You 2-stroke guys need to accept that the rules are written to make it so a 250 2-stroke can only compete against a 450 4-stroke. The rules need to change to either allow a bigger engine for the 2-stroke or smaller engine for the 4-stroke. Until then, please stop suggesting a fantasy world where a world class rider would handicap themselves with big $$$ on the line.
You're missing the point of the business.

If Dale Earnhardt came back in a car from the showroom with air conditioning, nobody would see anything else.

Thats why wrecking the car is the best 5 minutes of advertising dollars. A car in 10th is unseen.
Hit the wall and ALL cameras are on it.

Don't get out and your sponsors marketing team is jumping for joy.
You just got them 10 minutes or more of advertising that would have cost 100 million.

Rich Piano
11/24/2015 12:04pm
Micahdogg wrote:
You know Jeremy McGrath used to race to win and for championships too. I think he pretty much did this same thing. Went back to a...

DownSouth wrote:
After 4 or 5 races the fun ran out and MC went to the 450. [url=http://www.cyclenews.com/2006/01/article/mcgrath-vuillemin-switch-to-four-strokes-for-anaheim-ii/]It was actually only 2 races before he switched[/url] [b]"Two more...
After 4 or 5 races the fun ran out and MC went to the 450.

It was actually only 2 races before he switched

"Two more top contenders have switched power valves and fatty pipes for intake valves, exhaust valves and camshafts prior to round three of the Amp’d Mobile/AMA Supercross Series at Angel Stadium in Anaheim tonight.

Jeremy McGrath, the seven-time AMA Supercross Champion, has abandoned his factory Honda CR250 for a factory Honda CRF450R, and BooKoo Honda rider David Vuillemin has followed suit, also switching from a 250cc two-stroke to a 450cc four-srtoke."
But people still talk about MC holeshotting.....and pulling a 1st lap Nac and leading....on that 2 stroke.

Nobody expected him to win.

Racing is a business and about promotion.
Winning is great....but some never sold shit to anyone in comparison when winning.
And nobody remembers who got 2nd either.

Post a reply to: Chad Reed....

The Latest