Caution lights for Practice

teggers
I designed something a few years ago to help my safety on practice day when the tracks do not hire 5-8 flaggers for safety.The owners and promoters were not interested.

Each unit is battery powered and remotely (wireless) triggered up to 1/2 mile .It will be mounted on a 1 1/2" plastic SC40 plastic pipe.

i just checked with my business partner (a track owner) and we have the quick technology to make this product. We can make 2 versions. Prototypes can be done in 4 weeks.

V1 = Full Track Caution = 6 x yellow LED Strobes = 1 frequency .
V6 = 6 zones with independent caution for each zone. = 6 x frequencies

Each unit can be placed in the ground each day of riding - racing. Each unit will be battery powered and wirelessly triggered.At the end of each day, the units will need to be charged. (Yes, there's always liability with batteries)

The price point is around 2000usd for 6 pieces to get started.

I would like your input. I would be comfortable with riding with this safety solution.
|
PJRAUS
5/14/2017 2:52am
I have long thought this idea to be viable. A flashing light at the appropriate place triggered remotely by a single or perhaps a pair of observers in a tower that affords 100% track view...possibly not viable on very hilly tracks.
As for batteries..given today's battery and solar panel technology, surely it's possible to design a modular unit that comprises, flashing light, battery, solar panel and regulator and wireless reciever???? Surely this is not even remotely high tech?
On flatter tracks it should be a piece of cake? Have as many light stations as required , triggered remotely by 1 or 2 observers in a tower high enough to afford 100% view. They would be radio communication to staff hat would assist a fallen and immobile rider.
Why is this not happening? It seems an absolute no brainer to me considering the cost / difficulty in providing flaggers
Mr Happy
Fantasy
2561st
5/14/2017 3:26am
A few tracks in the UK have systems like this. One local to me, Route 34, is profiled so most of the track can be seen from the offices at the top. It's after an incident when it was called Tonymoto.
PJRAUS
5/14/2017 3:55am
VxeR wrote:
Sooo something like this? http://m.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/What-do-you-guys-think-abou…
This one is completely automatic tho
Well there you go...seems some have been doing exactly this for some time...
Seems to me that it's time that riders ( customers ) spoke.
Here in Aus, transponder scoring has been in place for some time, many years actually. If you don't have one , or rent one then you don't get scored...not up with things enough to know if you are not allowed to race at all if you don't have a transponder but I wouldn't put it past the fuckwits that run motocross here.
What I do know is that I pretty much quit racing because I had nobody to take to races with me to act as my personal flag marshal. The rules at that time were simple...no flagger, no racing..you can just go home and they get to keep your money..
Lately I know that they are charging a flag marshal levy that goes on top of your race entry fee..or they go with the exclusion thing..don't have a flagger ? Then fuck off!
As far as I'm concerned, race promoters ( here in Aus that means clubs ) should be required to have a warning light system and observation tower in order to achieve track licensing...
The compulsory requirement that you provide your own personal flagger came in when they combined the junior racing organisation with the senior one......long story short...once the mini bike parents started running the sport, adult competitors abandoned it and it has henceforth become a child minding exercise.
I'm not one to promote more rules and regulations....these things have gutted our sport...given that providing flaggers to appease the nanny state / liability regulations... is one of the major problems to overcome when running either a race event or just a practice day...it should be mandatory to provide a warning light system.
Those that think that that is a stupid idea should be up front and volunteer to flag instead of ride..because if we don't employ technology to replace the human component, then we are not advancing our sport and doing something positive to help its survival....you don't want lights..then flag yourself but don't expect someone else to do it unless you are prepared to pay them yourself

The Shop

5/14/2017 6:07am
A few tracks over here have them, they are good although the zoning is crap so a whole quarter of the track will light up for an incident in one corner
elche232
5/14/2017 7:59am
So i own and run a track in New Mexico - moriarty mx. I would be super interested in one of your systems.. do you have a wed site or any other info?
motosurf
5/14/2017 2:35pm
Doesn't the Brett Downey safety foundation offer this set up to tracks??
teggers
5/14/2017 9:43pm
I'm checking on our old disigns for Disneys requests for remote LED Control.
I think we have something close to production ready...

This product is not for anyone to make "millions" because that ain't gonna happen.
I would like to place a safety system in place so local tracks can continue to have practice days.

Here's what I am thinking - price wise:
Each position = $150 ( I think each track needs 6)
1 zone master control ( full track caution) = $300
...so wer're talking 2k
I can do zones as well, but they will be more expensive, obviously.
Honestly, I don't know if I can produce this product at these prices, but feedback from the community would be awesome with the price point I am throwing out.
Five years ago when I flew this idea no one wanted to cough up the money. In all fairness it was probably three times more at that point.

I would be happy to pursue this immediately to save people from being hurt from the blindsides of jumps and corners.
Mr Happy
Fantasy
2561st
5/15/2017 12:12am
If you have a design then you must know a cost. Thinks and probables will see you loose your shirt as people will love a $2K price if it actually costs $3k to make. Get some proper costings together as it will only take 30 mins to get a realistic idea of the cost. It's a nice idea, just you're rushing in to things too quickly.

It seems you're just putting some LED lights in a plastic tube. Have you considered that lights can be difficult to see in direct sunlight? Weather resistance, as a single decent quality IP65 LED light unit will cost $60, how are you going to make it so cheap and weather resistant. What about rules on broadcasting over that distance as you may need a license.
PJRAUS
5/15/2017 1:32am
Mr Happy wrote:
If you have a design then you must know a cost. Thinks and probables will see you loose your shirt as people will love a $2K...
If you have a design then you must know a cost. Thinks and probables will see you loose your shirt as people will love a $2K price if it actually costs $3k to make. Get some proper costings together as it will only take 30 mins to get a realistic idea of the cost. It's a nice idea, just you're rushing in to things too quickly.

It seems you're just putting some LED lights in a plastic tube. Have you considered that lights can be difficult to see in direct sunlight? Weather resistance, as a single decent quality IP65 LED light unit will cost $60, how are you going to make it so cheap and weather resistant. What about rules on broadcasting over that distance as you may need a license.
These seem very realistic considerations to me... However the premise of having a warning light system in place of human flaggers, controlled by human observers at a 100% view vantage point , seems a no brainer to me...it's not rocket science considering what we all take for granted technology wise these days. The more people we can eliminate from the " necessary staff " at either a practice or a race...the better! It's not like we r costing anyone their job....most flaggers are volunteers or perhaps volunteering on the part of a charitable organisation, paid by the race promoter? Please if I'm wrong...let me know as I don't profess to know everything...but if we never needed flaggers for run of the mill , sportsman level mx....isn't that a huge bonus for all involved?
Also I don't understand the whole " just for practise days " mentality? If it works for practise says, it should work for race days. In either case there would need to be people on the ground ready to go out and assist a fallen and immobile rider..
scott_nz
Fantasy
655th
5/15/2017 2:01am
we have been running warning lights, for about 15 years at some tracks here,

you need to have a siren as well as a flashing light, we tried lights first but people missed them,
Markee
Fantasy
1890th
5/15/2017 5:11am
I think its a great idea. The places I go have very few to no flaggers on ride/practice days. I bet personally have saved 2 guys and 1 girl from seeing them in a blind spot before a freight train of riders came through, anything to warn in those situations would be awesome in my opinion.

If you get your kits going I will inform my local tracks that could benefit.
tcallahan707
5/15/2017 8:44am
Wouldn't it be cheaper to attach a flag to some sort of movable arm that is triggered? It would also eliminate the "I can't see it in the sun" problem.
disbanded
Fantasy
1734th
5/15/2017 8:52am Edited Date/Time 5/15/2017 8:54am
the double
disbanded
Fantasy
1734th
5/15/2017 8:53am
That sounds exactly like my invention that I designed about a year before you did...
Moto810
5/15/2017 9:14am
teggers wrote:
I designed something a few years ago to help my safety on practice day when the tracks do not hire 5-8 flaggers for safety.The owners and...
I designed something a few years ago to help my safety on practice day when the tracks do not hire 5-8 flaggers for safety.The owners and promoters were not interested.

Each unit is battery powered and remotely (wireless) triggered up to 1/2 mile .It will be mounted on a 1 1/2" plastic SC40 plastic pipe.

i just checked with my business partner (a track owner) and we have the quick technology to make this product. We can make 2 versions. Prototypes can be done in 4 weeks.

V1 = Full Track Caution = 6 x yellow LED Strobes = 1 frequency .
V6 = 6 zones with independent caution for each zone. = 6 x frequencies

Each unit can be placed in the ground each day of riding - racing. Each unit will be battery powered and wirelessly triggered.At the end of each day, the units will need to be charged. (Yes, there's always liability with batteries)

The price point is around 2000usd for 6 pieces to get started.

I would like your input. I would be comfortable with riding with this safety solution.
If you can save one life or prevent one bad injury it is well worth it! Good work!

After looking at those links it would seem the best solution would be to have an auto setting and a manual setting for large events? Either way anything helps and I hope tracks use it.
teggers
5/15/2017 9:54pm Edited Date/Time 5/16/2017 1:04am
scott_nz wrote:
we have been running warning lights, for about 15 years at some tracks here, you need to have a siren as well as a flashing light...
we have been running warning lights, for about 15 years at some tracks here,

you need to have a siren as well as a flashing light, we tried lights first but people missed them,
Moto810
That what I am thinking

If nothing more happens in this post is maybe someone will run with this idea.

I can make it happen, but it will cost money.
teggers
5/15/2017 9:55pm Edited Date/Time 5/16/2017 2:07am
disbanded wrote:
That sounds exactly like my invention that I designed about a year before you did...
Let's help some people from getting hurt.

Throw you design online here and let some people start developing.
teggers
5/15/2017 10:02pm Edited Date/Time 5/16/2017 1:26am
Wouldn't it be cheaper to attach a flag to some sort of movable arm that is triggered? It would also eliminate the "I can't see it...
Wouldn't it be cheaper to attach a flag to some sort of movable arm that is triggered? It would also eliminate the "I can't see it in the sun" problem.
Try and run that day to day. seriously, think this out.

I can make the LEDs brighter than the reflections and direct from the Sun.
teggers
5/15/2017 10:05pm Edited Date/Time 5/16/2017 2:20am
Mr Happy wrote:
If you have a design then you must know a cost. Thinks and probables will see you loose your shirt as people will love a $2K...

Thanks for your input.

All of you concerns are noteworthy, but simple.

From this post.....I only hope to save someone from getting hurt. Actually, I hope someone with way more time on their hands can take this forward. I will help with the design at no cost. I just checked and there are some fantastic Yellow flash units available at low cost 5usd. They are IP67 and cheap. Also easily seen in sunlight.

It's just a matter of the batteries and the wireless transmitters. Easy stuff - oh - easy enough to install a siren too!
.... like I said.....no money to be made here.

Maybe Mr. Happy can move this forward?

PJRAUS
5/16/2017 2:15am
teggers wrote:
Thanks for your input. All of you concerns are noteworthy, but simple. From this post.....I only hope to save someone from getting hurt. Actually, I hope...
Thanks for your input.

From this post.....I only hope to save someone from getting hurt. Actually, I hope someone with way more time on their hands can take this forward. I will help with the design at no cost. I just checked and there are some fantastic Yellow flash units available at low cost 5usd. They are IP67 and cheap. Also easily seen in sunlight.

It's just a matter of the batteries and the wireless transmitters. Easy stuff - oh - easy enough to install a siren too!

Good comeback and fair enough if you have the knowledge . Totally respect that!
I just hope that what you have going on , works, takes hold and becomes the new requirement .
Honestly, I quit racing because I never had anyone to take to the races with me to do my " required " flagging.
Rule was simple..no flagger , no ride...
This rule was brought in by mini bike parents when their own version of this sport was amalgamated with the adult version...the mini bike parents took over..
At mini bike races, all the competitors are children , most have two parents....mini bike race promoters ( clubs ) never had to find flaggers....they had all these parents standing around, so a roster system was organised.
When this junior show took over the whole sport...senior riders were expected to provide their own flag Marshall .
But seeing as how the program at every race had blown out from 9 senior classes ( or less ) to 37 or even more, most seniors just quit mx and took up some other motorcycle based sport where you actually get some track time...
I however ended up with three different size bikes and would race 4 classes on the day in an attempt t rack up at least 30 minutes of actual track time on a race day...Can't race 4 classes and flag at the same time ,so my choice was , pay a shit load of money to run a couple of 3 lap races and spend the rest of my time flagging for nappy wearing toddlers who cannot even complete a lap of the track without falling over and crying for mummy, or quit racing.
It really wasn't real motocross racing anymore ,so I quit...me and hundreds, possibly thousands like me.
I support the idea of warning light systems in place of human flaggers one million percent!
PJRAUS
5/16/2017 2:27am
teggers wrote:
Thanks for your input. All of you concerns are noteworthy, but simple. From this post.....I only hope to save someone from getting hurt. Actually, I hope...
Thanks for your input.

Interesting...while I was typing you edited yor reply to Mr Happy...up to you..fair enough..I support your original response to his post even though I'm ignorant of the facts....since you are developing a warning light system, I assume you do know the facts.
Hope it works.....if I had my own race track , I would have a warning light system...anyone hat attempted to challenge me on my decicision to have one, or challenges my RIGHT to have one, would soon regret the challenge...
Warning light systems are the only way foward.
Nanny state requirements ,along with the impossibility of getting reliable human beings, is killing our sport.
As if noise issues, land use issues, pollution issues, green Nazi issues , economic issues and liability issues weren't already enough..
teggers
5/16/2017 2:30am Edited Date/Time 5/16/2017 2:49am
There's no way i will take the liability without making a shitton of money for legal side of it.

The system will work 100% of the time if a human runs it correctly........but they will always sue the track or the manufacturer (me) if they can't pay their doctor bills. (RC16)

I'm a bit tarnished of the pieces of shit out there.

I definitely edited my post...there is no need to step to a level that does not move this issue forward. I am not looking for an argument.

I would be happy to help out any track with this system. No Profit.
Keep in mind, not one unit has been built or tested for the MX track. It all works in theory. We have many many units that work on the Main Street Parade. It's a simple repurpose.
PJRAUS
5/16/2017 2:38am
teggers wrote:
There's no way i will take the liability without making a shitton of money for legal side of it. The system will work 100% of the...
There's no way i will take the liability without making a shitton of money for legal side of it.

The system will work 100% of the time if a human runs it correctly........but they will always sue the track or the manufacturer (me) if they can't pay their doctor bills. (RC16)

I'm a bit tarnished of the pieces of shit out there.

I definitely edited my post...there is no need to step to a level that does not move this issue forward. I am not looking for an argument.

I would be happy to help out any track with this system. No Profit.
Keep in mind, not one unit has been built or tested for the MX track. It all works in theory. We have many many units that work on the Main Street Parade. It's a simple repurpose.
The fact that they can sue just makes me wanna cry.
You want to race motocross ? YOU suffer any consequences , YOU not someone else singled out to Cary the blame for the risk that YOU took WILLINGY!
I hate lawyers , I don't think our sport really has much longer to live..
tcallahan707
5/16/2017 6:02am
Wouldn't it be cheaper to attach a flag to some sort of movable arm that is triggered? It would also eliminate the "I can't see it...
teggers wrote:

How is the day to day operation any different than someone triggering a light?
early
Fantasy
2212th
5/16/2017 7:20am
teggers wrote:

How is the day to day operation any different than someone triggering a light?
If you had something like this (straight tube not looking like a guy) in hi-vis yellow that was triggered at the same time as the warning light it could be a simple solution to adding a physical flag. Of course may need to run off 120VAC and rain/wind could be a problem.

Husky360
5/17/2017 12:59am
Triggered? They don't inflate quickly enough.

Post a reply to: Caution lights for Practice

The Latest