Car hauling bike?

YZ125H1
8/14/2014 5:58am Edited Date/Time 4/8/2022 6:13am
Just curious does anyone on here use a car to haul their bike(s) to the track?
|
mx21
8/14/2014 6:14am
I just recently bought this Jetta TDI and it pulls my bikes no problem. Unless I'm camping over night somewhere this will bring my bikes everywhere I go. My last trip I averaged 36mph with two bikes. Money saved in gas just about pays for my entrance into the track.

Madmax31
Fantasy
128th
8/14/2014 6:14am
Saw a guy pulling a small enclosed trailer to the track with a VW Passat the other day.

A lot of people use small Civics, etc, to pull small open trailers anymore. Not everyone can afford $4 gas, when you drive a truck getting 10 MPG.

Here's my setup.

A toy hauler on a Honda Element.
crusher773
8/14/2014 6:30am
I've got a VW beetle and a PW 50 fits right in there.
YZ125H1
8/14/2014 6:31am
I only have a civic sedan and I kept searching for info online and was running into a lot of disinformation about towing with it. Yeah it says not to tow anything, but the vehicle can certainly tow a light trailer and bike with ease and not cause damage to the car. Currently using a setup like the your Honda Element on an SUV, but the model I have makes it a pain to get on and off the back with one person. I've found a really cool folding trailer only weighs 130lbs it is a little pricey at around $2k well worth it in the long run though.

The Shop

HazemG
8/14/2014 6:43am
Good thread. Was considering an Audi A7 in lieu of my 4Runner but wasn't sure if I would be able to haul my bike. Might look funny to roll up to a track in an A7 though. Might wait until I can afford a truck and A7 before I pull the trigger.
hvaughn88
8/14/2014 6:44am
Madmax31 wrote:
Saw a guy pulling a small enclosed trailer to the track with a VW Passat the other day. A lot of people use small Civics, etc...
Saw a guy pulling a small enclosed trailer to the track with a VW Passat the other day.

A lot of people use small Civics, etc, to pull small open trailers anymore. Not everyone can afford $4 gas, when you drive a truck getting 10 MPG.

Here's my setup.

What have you thought so far about the hitch mount setup? I bought one for my truck (I have a bedcover and don't always feel like taking it off) and have been a little disappointed in the overall execution of it. It rocks back and forth more than I would like and the round inserts don't seem to mesh too well with the large knobbies on motocross tires. It's not terrible and it works just ok, but I don't know that I would buy it again.
JA946
8/14/2014 6:45am
YZ125H1 wrote:
I only have a civic sedan and I kept searching for info online and was running into a lot of disinformation about towing with it. Yeah...
I only have a civic sedan and I kept searching for info online and was running into a lot of disinformation about towing with it. Yeah it says not to tow anything, but the vehicle can certainly tow a light trailer and bike with ease and not cause damage to the car. Currently using a setup like the your Honda Element on an SUV, but the model I have makes it a pain to get on and off the back with one person. I've found a really cool folding trailer only weighs 130lbs it is a little pricey at around $2k well worth it in the long run though.
You need a habor freight trailer or a single/double rail. I recommend the single rail.

Your civic will tow 1-2 bikes just fine.
YZ125H1
8/14/2014 6:59am
YZ125H1 wrote:
I only have a civic sedan and I kept searching for info online and was running into a lot of disinformation about towing with it. Yeah...
JA946 wrote:
You need a habor freight trailer or a single/double rail. I recommend the single rail.

Your civic will tow 1-2 bikes just fine.
I originally looked into this and it is a great option for people on a budget or looking to not spend a lot. Great thread on TT about the harbor freight trailers. Main reason I need a folding trailer is so I can store it in my basement/garage I currently do not have enough room for even the smaller harbor freight trailers.

@hvaughn88

I'm current using this model carrier does not seem to move around too much. My 125 fits almost perfect but it sits so deep in the carrier it can be very hard to get out. I never used the metal pin inserts cause I misplaced them. However with the pins inserted, it seems like it would be needed to be tied down even tighter.

hvaughn88
8/14/2014 7:04am
YZ125H1 wrote:
I originally looked into this and it is a great option for people on a budget or looking to not spend a lot. Great thread on...
I originally looked into this and it is a great option for people on a budget or looking to not spend a lot. Great thread on TT about the harbor freight trailers. Main reason I need a folding trailer is so I can store it in my basement/garage I currently do not have enough room for even the smaller harbor freight trailers.

@hvaughn88

I'm current using this model carrier does not seem to move around too much. My 125 fits almost perfect but it sits so deep in the carrier it can be very hard to get out. I never used the metal pin inserts cause I misplaced them. However with the pins inserted, it seems like it would be needed to be tied down even tighter.

I hear ya on how deep they sit. Gotta get some ummphh behind it to get it rolling, haha. Which model is that one? Mine is the harbor freight cheap-o model impulse buy.
Sully22
8/14/2014 7:08am
I saw this a couple hours ago as I was driving down a street by my house....a truck was hauling a bike on a device mounted to the trailer hitch, but why? Why not haul your bike in the back of the truck. It was a head scratcher for me....
JA946
8/14/2014 7:09am
Sully22 wrote:
I saw this a couple hours ago as I was driving down a street by my house....a truck was hauling a bike on a device mounted...
I saw this a couple hours ago as I was driving down a street by my house....a truck was hauling a bike on a device mounted to the trailer hitch, but why? Why not haul your bike in the back of the truck. It was a head scratcher for me....
Not all of us are 6' + burly men.

But I do load into the back of my truck.
GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
8/14/2014 7:10am
crusher773 wrote:
I've got a VW beetle and a PW 50 fits right in there.
But how do you see over the dash to drive?

(Sorry, I couldn't resist.)
YZ125H1
8/14/2014 7:11am Edited Date/Time 8/14/2014 7:14am
hvaughn88 wrote:
I hear ya on how deep they sit. Gotta get some ummphh behind it to get it rolling, haha. Which model is that one? Mine is...
I hear ya on how deep they sit. Gotta get some ummphh behind it to get it rolling, haha. Which model is that one? Mine is the harbor freight cheap-o model impulse buy.
It's the rage powersports MX 600X I tried to get an aluminum one, but they were on back order so I had to get the steel one. Only real mod I had to do was saw the ramp pin down cause it was too long. It would get wedged under the tire and you would need someone to lift it up the bike to get out the ramp. It is almost always a 2 man job to unload. When taking the tie downs off I dont want the bike to lean towards the SUV and break the back window. It does the job I just wish it was easier for one person to do everything especially after a long day of riding you are pretty tired.
tprice07
8/14/2014 7:17am
it's funny I have been thinking of putting a hitch on my car recently since I sold my truck for better mpgs.
smezmx
8/14/2014 7:19am
Smile

JA946
8/14/2014 7:23am
I don't believe that plane one at all.

no way..

NO WAY.
Sully22
8/14/2014 7:26am
Sully22 wrote:
I saw this a couple hours ago as I was driving down a street by my house....a truck was hauling a bike on a device mounted...
JA946 wrote:
Not all of us are 6' + burly men.

But I do load into the back of my truck.
Ahhhhh....I see. I get it, but couldn't they use a ramp, or find a place to back up to that's level, or close to level with the tailgate. I'd imagine those hitch thingys can't be that cheap, not cheaper than a ramp anyway? Not arguing with you here or not believing you, and I totally get for a car, SUV, or small van, but a truck? That's what I buy the truck for is to haul my bike and countless other items. Smile
huck
8/14/2014 7:28am
From a friend that does freestyle....

Sully22
8/14/2014 7:28am
The motorcycle hauling the sidecar with the dirt scoot on it is the best, the best i tell ya!
Madmax31
Fantasy
128th
8/14/2014 7:44am
Madmax31 wrote:
Saw a guy pulling a small enclosed trailer to the track with a VW Passat the other day. A lot of people use small Civics, etc...

Here's my setup.

hvaughn88 wrote:
What have you thought so far about the hitch mount setup? I bought one for my truck (I have a bedcover and don't always feel like...
What have you thought so far about the hitch mount setup? I bought one for my truck (I have a bedcover and don't always feel like taking it off) and have been a little disappointed in the overall execution of it. It rocks back and forth more than I would like and the round inserts don't seem to mesh too well with the large knobbies on motocross tires. It's not terrible and it works just ok, but I don't know that I would buy it again.
That carrier is from Harbor Freight, and it sucks. My friends all use these type of carriers, but theirs are all nicer than mine. 2 are home-made that are really nice, and one is from EBAY, forget the brand. I would never buy this from Harbor Freight again, and do plan to modify it this winter to make it more stable. Once I get it done I'll post some pics.

I may buy a small 5x7 trailer also.
hvaughn88
8/14/2014 7:50am
Madmax31 wrote:
That carrier is from Harbor Freight, and it sucks. My friends all use these type of carriers, but theirs are all nicer than mine. 2 are...
That carrier is from Harbor Freight, and it sucks. My friends all use these type of carriers, but theirs are all nicer than mine. 2 are home-made that are really nice, and one is from EBAY, forget the brand. I would never buy this from Harbor Freight again, and do plan to modify it this winter to make it more stable. Once I get it done I'll post some pics.

I may buy a small 5x7 trailer also.
Yup, mine's the same one from harbor freight. I was wondering if I was the only one that thought it was garbage.
tp4
8/14/2014 7:55am
a classic..
BobPA
8/14/2014 8:07am

Using my friends haggard harbor freight trailer there. I have a jet ski trailer converted for bikes....light and simple.

87 rx7 turbo...used to tow with my 97 2.0 jetta also
djc
8/14/2014 8:12am
I use a single rail trailer and it pulls no t problem At all. I have pulled a few bigger trailers and then it will jerk the car around a lot But still no problem really.
Tumblin
8/14/2014 8:15am
My first year of racing was handled with my Super Rat hanging off the back on bumper racks of my parent's Ford LTD Cool
Jimfunn
8/14/2014 8:29am
Come to Euro land and it's rare you see any pick-ups & if you do, they are what you guys would call small 2L diesels (Mitsubishi L200 / Nissan navara / VW amarok etc)
The price of fuel over here is crazy so most people use a trailer / bike rack or a small van (as small as possible)!
I use a transit connect Hi roof LWB, bike fits diagonally & will all my gear and spare wheels it'll do 40+ MPG at 80mph
8/14/2014 8:33am
Trailers are great until you get into a car accident.
hvaughn88
8/14/2014 8:34am
Jimfunn wrote:
Come to Euro land and it's rare you see any pick-ups & if you do, they are what you guys would call small 2L diesels (Mitsubishi...
Come to Euro land and it's rare you see any pick-ups & if you do, they are what you guys would call small 2L diesels (Mitsubishi L200 / Nissan navara / VW amarok etc)
The price of fuel over here is crazy so most people use a trailer / bike rack or a small van (as small as possible)!
I use a transit connect Hi roof LWB, bike fits diagonally & will all my gear and spare wheels it'll do 40+ MPG at 80mph
That sounds like an awesome set-up! My damn truck gets about 11 mpg at 75 mph, haha. I should really go back to my stock wheels and tires.
ehr400
8/14/2014 8:44am
I used my 2012 VW GTI to haul my trailer with 3 bikes no issues. 26mpg and cruised no problem.
endurox
8/14/2014 8:47am
Jimfunn wrote:
Come to Euro land and it's rare you see any pick-ups & if you do, they are what you guys would call small 2L diesels (Mitsubishi...
hvaughn88 wrote:
That sounds like an awesome set-up! My damn truck gets about 11 mpg at 75 mph, haha. I should really go back to my stock wheels...
That sounds like an awesome set-up! My damn truck gets about 11 mpg at 75 mph, haha. I should really go back to my stock wheels and tires.
wish they would import the transit connect with a diesel. NIssan is coming out with a small diesel in their pickup next year.

Post a reply to: Car hauling bike?

The Latest