Canvas MX gear

liamjumper
Edited Date/Time 7/18/2015 12:55pm
Just curious if anyones heard anything good about the canvasmx gear? I was thinking of just getting an all white set and tie dying the jersey and then get name and number printed on it. (although im not sure if you can tie dye polyester).
|
Ramrod
Fantasy
1751st
7/17/2015 4:37am
I don't think this gear is going to get much lift off.

MX is a niche market and canvas MX is a niche within it. This will appeal to not enough consumers to be a viable business. Just my opinion.
7/17/2015 4:58am
pretty sure leib's own it, run it. something along those lines. maybe an investor.
motomike894
7/17/2015 6:06am
I kind of like the idea and plain gear, but I mean they want you to pay 49.99 for a plain white or black polyester long sleeve shirt basically that can be bought for 10-15 bucks all over place and the pants look pretty basic in there features as well.

The Shop

Grizz
7/17/2015 6:45am
I kind of like the idea and plain gear, but I mean they want you to pay 49.99 for a plain white or black polyester long...
I kind of like the idea and plain gear, but I mean they want you to pay 49.99 for a plain white or black polyester long sleeve shirt basically that can be bought for 10-15 bucks all over place and the pants look pretty basic in there features as well.
It's ridiculously over priced.

OP, no you can't tie-dye polyester.

Rooster
7/17/2015 9:08am
Grizz wrote:
It's ridiculously over priced.

OP, no you can't tie-dye polyester.

You can dye sublimate it very easily though.
kkawboy14
7/17/2015 1:23pm
liamjumper wrote:
Just curious if anyones heard anything good about the canvasmx gear? I was thinking of just getting an all white set and tie dying the jersey...
Just curious if anyones heard anything good about the canvasmx gear? I was thinking of just getting an all white set and tie dying the jersey and then get name and number printed on it. (although im not sure if you can tie dye polyester).
Bye it and get a sponsor.....they only need to give you $300 and you will have your gear set up
liamjumper
7/17/2015 1:29pm
liamjumper wrote:
Just curious if anyones heard anything good about the canvasmx gear? I was thinking of just getting an all white set and tie dying the jersey...
kkawboy14 wrote:
Bye it and get a sponsor.....they only need to give you $300 and you will have your gear set up
Simple as that eh?
swatdoc
7/17/2015 1:58pm
The big draw will be you can design your own gear. Think of it as a blank pallet.
For me , I want to make a reproducing of the old Hondaline and JT Racing pants like Marty Smith and the other Team Honda guys wore. I contacted these guys and they will have the ability to do this very soon. I have been looking for 2 years for a company to make these for me and this is the best lead so far
peelout
7/17/2015 2:15pm Edited Date/Time 7/17/2015 2:15pm
liamjumper wrote:
my uncle is a huge Dead-Head (went to over 100 shows), i'm sure he has a shit load of tye-dye shirts laying around if you want me to ask him for ya. probably take pay in "brownies" if you catch my drift bro
hvaughn88
7/17/2015 2:19pm
liamjumper wrote:
Tie dye, huh? So is your "widespread panic" sticker gonna go on your front or side numberplate?Tongue

Just messing with ya. Sounds like it would be cool to get something unique like that
BRIT317
7/17/2015 2:42pm
Here's what you can currently do: Place sponsors/logos/names/numbers, whatever you want on the plain gear. It can be done with heat press stuff or get it sublimated like this:

In the near future you will be able to fully customize the design of the gear how ever you want as well. Maddo is wearing the fully custom Canvas Gear, jersey & pants:

& btw, its pretty good quality. Leib has been running his same gear sets for several months now and they're holding up pretty damn good.

RandyS
7/17/2015 2:52pm
I don't see any reason you couldn't tie dye a polyester jersey polyester/nylon accepts Rit dye better than cotton. There are also consumer polyester dyes readily available. I just don't know why you'd want to.
kkawboy14
7/17/2015 3:54pm
liamjumper wrote:
kkawboy14 wrote:
liamjumper wrote:
Simple as that eh?
Don't you know any small business people?
Grizz
7/17/2015 6:01pm
RandyS wrote:
I don't see any reason you couldn't tie dye a polyester jersey polyester/nylon accepts Rit dye better than cotton. There are also consumer polyester dyes readily...
I don't see any reason you couldn't tie dye a polyester jersey polyester/nylon accepts Rit dye better than cotton. There are also consumer polyester dyes readily available. I just don't know why you'd want to.
You can tie-dye poly but the colors don't hold up.
Jack mehoff
7/17/2015 7:39pm
If you happen to own a business it is wright off the IRS can't dispute , try that with any other gear company .
liamjumper
7/17/2015 8:56pm
If you happen to own a business it is wright off the IRS can't dispute , try that with any other gear company .
My dad owns a property service company so maybe I'll look into that
kkawboy14
7/17/2015 9:13pm Edited Date/Time 7/17/2015 9:21pm
liamjumper wrote:
100% write off for your dad. He should sponsor everything you do motto and use the tax deduction.

Ask your accountant but he would list it as "advertising" not "race sponsorship".

I have 2 companies, 1 sponsors 1 side and the other sponsors the other side!
Starcrossed
7/17/2015 9:54pm Edited Date/Time 7/17/2015 10:58pm
liamjumper wrote:
kkawboy14 wrote:
100% write off for your dad. He should sponsor everything you do motto and use the tax deduction. Ask your accountant but he would list it...
100% write off for your dad. He should sponsor everything you do motto and use the tax deduction.

Ask your accountant but he would list it as "advertising" not "race sponsorship".

In order for an expense to be deductible it must meet the standard of "an ordinary and necessary business expense." I have some experience with IRS audits and one of the first things they look at is "Advertising." The scenario outlined falls under the category of using a business as a "corporate pocketbook." If a business has 10k worth of advertising expenses and 8k of it is for the owner's son to race mx at the local track, it is not going to fly. Not saying it doesn't happen, but you could be leaving yourself exposed to an audit adjustment with the consequential increase in tax, penalties, and interest. Ask your CPA, not the bookkeeper.
imoto34
Fantasy
3174th
7/17/2015 10:54pm
I kind of like the idea and plain gear, but I mean they want you to pay 49.99 for a plain white or black polyester long...
Agree. Are you the guy that was at atlanta supercross a hand full of years back?
tek14
7/17/2015 11:43pm
How good is material? I been running similar shirts but problem with them has been material that doesnt breath at all. All MX gear now is really technical or fully wented, how is this compared to those?
liamjumper
7/18/2015 12:36am
liamjumper wrote:
kkawboy14 wrote:
100% write off for your dad. He should sponsor everything you do motto and use the tax deduction. Ask your accountant but he would list it...

In order for an expense to be deductible it must meet the standard of "an ordinary and necessary business expense." I have some experience with IRS...
In order for an expense to be deductible it must meet the standard of "an ordinary and necessary business expense." I have some experience with IRS audits and one of the first things they look at is "Advertising." The scenario outlined falls under the category of using a business as a "corporate pocketbook." If a business has 10k worth of advertising expenses and 8k of it is for the owner's son to race mx at the local track, it is not going to fly. Not saying it doesn't happen, but you could be leaving yourself exposed to an audit adjustment with the consequential increase in tax, penalties, and interest. Ask your CPA, not the bookkeeper.
Well it wouldn't have to be everything I do moto, but what about, for say, decals and gear if I got his company logo and name put onto them?
Starcrossed
7/18/2015 1:34am Edited Date/Time 7/18/2015 2:03am
liamjumper wrote:
Well it wouldn't have to be everything I do moto, but what about, for say, decals and gear if I got his company logo and name...
Well it wouldn't have to be everything I do moto, but what about, for say, decals and gear if I got his company logo and name put onto them?
It would depend on a number of factors and is beyond the scope of discussing at any length in this forum, but if it is not generally considered to be "an ordinary AND necessary expense" of the business in question, then technically it would not be deductible for federal income tax purposes. Does the business advertise thru similar media? I think it would be fairly obvious to an examiner what the nature of the expense is. Another thing that is working against you is the relationship of father and son. If the business has significant exposure in other areas, it's not worth raising a red flag. Most things never come into question, but different businesses have different likelihoods of being examined. It could depend on the size of the business, ownership, capital structure, results of prior audits, nature of the transactions (cash businesses like vending and laundrymats get scrutinized more than businesses that don't handle much cash). Best to speak with a CPA, but until then you're probably safest with smaller, infrequent amounts, categorized as supplies or office expense. Stay away from using advertising, repairs & maint., auto, and meals & ent. accounts when "hiding" these purchases. Just my somewhat educated opinion.

Edit: Just noticed you're not from the U.S. Not sure exactly how things work in Canada, but I imagine it's not much different.
Electro21
Fantasy
75th
7/18/2015 1:36am
BRIT317 wrote:
Here's what you can currently do: Place sponsors/logos/names/numbers, whatever you want on the plain gear. It can be done with heat press stuff or get it...
Here's what you can currently do: Place sponsors/logos/names/numbers, whatever you want on the plain gear. It can be done with heat press stuff or get it sublimated like this:

In the near future you will be able to fully customize the design of the gear how ever you want as well. Maddo is wearing the fully custom Canvas Gear, jersey & pants:

& btw, its pretty good quality. Leib has been running his same gear sets for several months now and they're holding up pretty damn good.

That looks good and has a lot of potential for sponsors.
Electro21
Fantasy
75th
7/18/2015 1:39am
Missed the price, but it does look good.
motomike894
7/18/2015 4:37am
imoto34 wrote:
Agree. Are you the guy that was at atlanta supercross a hand full of years back?
It was Indy was going to do more it got hurt pretty bad shortly after, it had been years since I had done one got talked into it and rode bike 4 times before Indy indoors yeah wasn't too great idea lol
Mini Elsinore
7/18/2015 7:00am Edited Date/Time 7/18/2015 7:01am
I believe this to be the future for most sponsors. Does MON$TER need Thor or whomever, or would their own brand make more sense? I predict it is coming. The exposure received from privateers who get only product or 2ND tier guys who are on a gear-only contract has essentially been a freebie for the gear companies. Leib may just be in front of the curve. I wish him well and hope his company thrives. Naysayers must work for existing gear companies....... Whistling
kkawboy14
7/18/2015 7:27am
In America using it as an advertising tool is perfectly legal even if it is family or oneself, per my CPA

Post a reply to: Canvas MX gear

The Latest