Canard and Morais Injury Updates

1/22/2012 7:00pm
feel sorry for them both hope they heal up fast
jeffro503
1/22/2012 7:06pm
Just saw the update for Trey's surgery after I read through the rest of the thread. Good news that his is all setup for surgery and so forth. And my god........it sounds like Ryan got it extremely bad as well......but will make a full recovery.

That picture is something that will give me nightmares.
ocscottie
1/22/2012 8:31pm
That picture is something that will give me nightmares.

Same here man, that pic is fully gnar!
drmarkr
1/22/2012 8:33pm
From Aaron's FB page;

Aaron Canard
The MRI revealed a small pressure on his spinal cord so the doctor has decided to do a minor (I know it's back surgery) surgery on Thursday. Should be a lot easier than we thought it would be. Could've been a larger pressure right?

I'll update as I know more.
Share · 46 minutes ago near Los Angeles, CA ·

The Shop

GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
1/22/2012 9:07pm
drmarkr wrote:
From Aaron's FB page; Aaron Canard The MRI revealed a small pressure on his spinal cord so the doctor has decided to do a minor (I...
From Aaron's FB page;

Aaron Canard
The MRI revealed a small pressure on his spinal cord so the doctor has decided to do a minor (I know it's back surgery) surgery on Thursday. Should be a lot easier than we thought it would be. Could've been a larger pressure right?

I'll update as I know more.
Share · 46 minutes ago near Los Angeles, CA ·
Thanks, Doc.
moto431
Fantasy
613th
1/22/2012 9:23pm
I know motocross is motocross. But you have to think honestly when is enough, enough. Morias has been hurt every year since he has turned pro (10 years i think). Canard has had some serious injuries in the last few years. I know this is in their blood and this is all they grew up doing and this is how they pay the bills. But at some point you have to really think about your life. Im almost 40 and have been racing since i was in my early 20's. Im on my second knee in 3 months, broke many bones, torn many ligaments, my body is thrashed and i do construction for a living. I honestly dont think my body will make it to retirement, i dont know if i want to. I couldnt imagine how these guys are going to feel.

My point is how are these guys going to feel when there 40. Its really sad that they are the best in the world and if they dont make enough money by the time they are 30 then they have to find something else to do with a jacked up body.

Could these guys hang their boots up and just get a job in the industry and make a good living. Mainly talking about Morias, im pretty sure he hasnt made enough to retire.
bg22
Fantasy
3024th
1/22/2012 9:50pm
That's the scariest crash I've ever seen. Hopefully Trey and Ryan make a full recovery from this.
moscrop940
1/23/2012 12:26am
moto431 wrote:
I know motocross is motocross. But you have to think honestly when is enough, enough. Morias has been hurt every year since he has turned pro...
I know motocross is motocross. But you have to think honestly when is enough, enough. Morias has been hurt every year since he has turned pro (10 years i think). Canard has had some serious injuries in the last few years. I know this is in their blood and this is all they grew up doing and this is how they pay the bills. But at some point you have to really think about your life. Im almost 40 and have been racing since i was in my early 20's. Im on my second knee in 3 months, broke many bones, torn many ligaments, my body is thrashed and i do construction for a living. I honestly dont think my body will make it to retirement, i dont know if i want to. I couldnt imagine how these guys are going to feel.

My point is how are these guys going to feel when there 40. Its really sad that they are the best in the world and if they dont make enough money by the time they are 30 then they have to find something else to do with a jacked up body.

Could these guys hang their boots up and just get a job in the industry and make a good living. Mainly talking about Morias, im pretty sure he hasnt made enough to retire.
You know man I had this talk with my girlfriend probably 20 minutes after watching the horrific crash this morning.

Im only 20 years old, but I have the body of a 50 year old. I have arthritis in both legs feet and ankles, a back that gives out at the drop of a dime, and a bum knee that requires a full replacement ( although it wont be for awhile with healthcare the way it is, they call the replacement "optional"). I too work construction with my body the way it is and cant fathom being in my 40's and working out in the field, nor do I wish too, but luckily last week I was extremely fortunate and found a full time job operating a forklift for most of the day, but even with being off my feet the majority of the shift my lower half is still screaming for mercy at the end of the day.

Back to the point.....I love this sport, I mean I f!*#ing love this sport, it has given me so many memories that I will carry with my throughout my life, it brought me closer with my dad, and is how I met my long time girlfriend. But at the same time every single morning I wake up in pain, and not the "ouch that's kinda tender" pain, I mean "how the f!*@ am I gonna get through this today" pain. I keep seeing my friends get hurt who still continue to race, and I often think to myself "Is this really worth it anymore?" Sure back when we were all young and full of hope we didn't give a shit how we would feel when we grew up...but now that we are grown up and have responsibilities, maybe the juice might have not been worth the squeeze after all.

Just as an example, in November of last year I left for the sheriffs academy in hopes of making a life for myself. I knew it would be a struggle physically with my legs the way they are, but I can suffer silently, so I didnt think it would be an issue. Fast forward 5 weeks and I was sitting up near the top of my class overall, and was even in the hiring process with a department. But my injuries sustained from my beloved sport caught up with my and my sergeants ordered me to see a doctor because of my limp. Needless to say the doctor didnt clear me to return to training, and the next day I was out on my ass. I can never be an officer now because I am considered a liability to any department.

Point is I am now limited in what I can do for the rest of my life because I had the "screw it, lets go for it" attitude with motocross. Im not saying I regret falling in love with this sport, but had I known then what I know now, I might have toned it back a notch or two with racing. I think everyone needs to remember there is a life after motocross, and right now Im learning all about it.

I apologize for the long run-on post, its hard to convey what Ive been thinking into words since watching that crash this morning. I hope that they both come out on the other side of this healthy and as good as new.

Moscrop
burnside
1/23/2012 12:32am
I've been staying offline, so just watched the SX as live. Firstly, I'm glad Ryan is alive and doesn't have a serious head injury. That just looked like an absolute worst case scenario crash and it gave me chills seeing him motionless immediately after the impact like that. Esp the way Fro & Ralph step toed around it in the commentary. Trey's bad luck is hard to fathom, but again, good news that he has full feeling. Sending positive thoughts to both of these guys.
1/23/2012 2:11am
moto431 wrote:
I know motocross is motocross. But you have to think honestly when is enough, enough. Morias has been hurt every year since he has turned pro...

moscrop940 wrote:
You know man I had this talk with my girlfriend probably 20 minutes after watching the horrific crash this morning. Im only 20 years old, but...
You know man I had this talk with my girlfriend probably 20 minutes after watching the horrific crash this morning.

Im only 20 years old, but I have the body of a 50 year old. I have arthritis in both legs feet and ankles, a back that gives out at the drop of a dime, and a bum knee that requires a full replacement ( although it wont be for awhile with healthcare the way it is, they call the replacement "optional"). I too work construction with my body the way it is and cant fathom being in my 40's and working out in the field, nor do I wish too, but luckily last week I was extremely fortunate and found a full time job operating a forklift for most of the day, but even with being off my feet the majority of the shift my lower half is still screaming for mercy at the end of the day.

Back to the point.....I love this sport, I mean I f!*#ing love this sport, it has given me so many memories that I will carry with my throughout my life, it brought me closer with my dad, and is how I met my long time girlfriend. But at the same time every single morning I wake up in pain, and not the "ouch that's kinda tender" pain, I mean "how the f!*@ am I gonna get through this today" pain. I keep seeing my friends get hurt who still continue to race, and I often think to myself "Is this really worth it anymore?" Sure back when we were all young and full of hope we didn't give a shit how we would feel when we grew up...but now that we are grown up and have responsibilities, maybe the juice might have not been worth the squeeze after all.

Just as an example, in November of last year I left for the sheriffs academy in hopes of making a life for myself. I knew it would be a struggle physically with my legs the way they are, but I can suffer silently, so I didnt think it would be an issue. Fast forward 5 weeks and I was sitting up near the top of my class overall, and was even in the hiring process with a department. But my injuries sustained from my beloved sport caught up with my and my sergeants ordered me to see a doctor because of my limp. Needless to say the doctor didnt clear me to return to training, and the next day I was out on my ass. I can never be an officer now because I am considered a liability to any department.

Point is I am now limited in what I can do for the rest of my life because I had the "screw it, lets go for it" attitude with motocross. Im not saying I regret falling in love with this sport, but had I known then what I know now, I might have toned it back a notch or two with racing. I think everyone needs to remember there is a life after motocross, and right now Im learning all about it.

I apologize for the long run-on post, its hard to convey what Ive been thinking into words since watching that crash this morning. I hope that they both come out on the other side of this healthy and as good as new.

Moscrop
I too was in construction from about 15 years old, working for my dad, until 30 years old when the industry went to shit, was also a motocross racer all those years. The only semi-major injury I had was a torn ACL but I definitely creak a little when I move other joints than that knee. highly recommend a career in water utilities. There are a couple certificates you can get, without any college. for a couple hundred bucks and a test each. You can get a stable gov't job with nice benefits and many of the entry level positions' skills overlap with the stuff you've been doing in construction for years, I know because it's how I got in. You could get in as a field worker and move up to a deskier job before your body retires, it worked for me. Sorry to bust in here with something off the topic of these two guys getting on their feet again, but I do wish someone had told me to look at water as a career when I was much younger, so I thought I would give it a shot on a random post on a MX message board.

That was a nasty crash that was hard to watch, I hope to hell that both of them pull through. Really glad to hear that both of them seem to be doing pretty well so far considering how bad it could have been.
Hawwy
1/23/2012 4:03am
The picture and video is a full on nightmare! Sad
Sully22
1/23/2012 4:54am
wishing Trey and Ryan full recoveries....my heart sinks everytime I watch those videos. Two of the best guys....the nicest guys in the pits! take all the time you guys need....do not hurry back
flyinb501
Fantasy
392nd
1/23/2012 6:06am
So bummed out for these guys, especially Trey... I just hope Trey is getting all of these injuries out of the way now so he can have many years ahead of him injury free. Get well soon guys!
Suns_PSD
1/23/2012 7:03am
moscrop940 wrote:
You know man I had this talk with my girlfriend probably 20 minutes after watching the horrific crash this morning. Im only 20 years old, but...

Moscrop
I'm not trying to be a jerk but if you feel that way after a few injuries at 20 you were going to naturally be handicapped anyways. I have a close friend that is like that. No injuries at all but at 40 he is moving like an old hunched over man.

Some people just feel old naturally. Poor nutrition is a huge factor.

I've broken about 20 bones and had 4 surgeries related to motorcycle accidents. (all roadracing) I'm 40 but literally feel like a 25 year old. And before I broke my back last year, I looked and acted like an energetic kid. I feel perfectly fine. Sure I have aches and pains here and there. But nothing that slows me down.

Good Luck!
Rdracer598
1/23/2012 7:18am
Def a scary crash and really hope both pull thru to full recoveries! Just because Canard has full feeling doesn't mean he hasn't suffered any paralysis. Really would like to see word on movement. When i broke my neck I never lost feeling but never regained enough movement to walk again either. Really hoping this isn't the case for TC!
burn1986
Fantasy
3280th
1/23/2012 7:35am Edited Date/Time 1/23/2012 7:35am
Positive thoughts are great, but why not put feet to these thoughts and pray for their healing and recovery. They both need all the help they can get.
moscrop940
1/23/2012 7:35am
moscrop940 wrote:

Moscrop
Suns_PSD wrote:
I'm not trying to be a jerk but if you feel that way after a few injuries at 20 you were going to naturally be handicapped...
I'm not trying to be a jerk but if you feel that way after a few injuries at 20 you were going to naturally be handicapped anyways. I have a close friend that is like that. No injuries at all but at 40 he is moving like an old hunched over man.

I've broken about 20 bones and had 4 surgeries related to motorcycle accidents. (all roadracing) I'm 40 but literally feel like a 25 year old. And before I broke my back last year, I looked and acted like an energetic kid. I feel perfectly fine. Sure I have aches and pains here and there. But nothing that slows me down.

Good Luck!
You know what buddy no offense taken at all. A lot of people dont get it right off the bat either because people break their leg and walk fine, where as I hobble like a son of a bitch.

Anyway buddy I havent always felt this way, I put both of my tibia and fibula through the tops of my feet, shattering all of the bones in my feet and ankles. I have no cartlidge in between several the bones in my feet anymore which causes them to swell up like a balloon after only a few hours on them. I have to favor one leg depending on which leg is hurting worse, which causes me to lean/hobble to one side, which causes my back to start kick'n because I walk like a tard most of the time. Everyone who walks with a limp for awhile starts to develop back pain, and I walk like it everyday

That and a torn ACL,MCL,PCL,Miniscus,Growth plate, and A shattered knee cap that ALL healed up broken because my doctor never caught any of it because I wasnt complaining about my knees when I broke my legs.

Just explaining that I use to feel great, but not so much anymore. Good for your young feeling body though man.'

Moscrop
Rdracer598
1/23/2012 7:49am
Rdracer598 wrote:
Def a scary crash and really hope both pull thru to full recoveries! Just because Canard has full feeling doesn't mean he hasn't suffered any paralysis...
Def a scary crash and really hope both pull thru to full recoveries! Just because Canard has full feeling doesn't mean he hasn't suffered any paralysis. Really would like to see word on movement. When i broke my neck I never lost feeling but never regained enough movement to walk again either. Really hoping this isn't the case for TC!
Somehow i missed the 1st post from aaron. Glad TC has movement! Speedy recovery to both!
GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
1/23/2012 8:17am
Here's the latest Morais update from the Rockstar Energy Suzuki team.

LOS ANGELES, CA (January 23, 2012) – Star Valli Yamaha rider Ryan Morais was involved in a crash during the first lap of the main event at the Los Angeles round of the AMA/FIM Supercross Championship series Saturday night. The Rockstar Energy rider was transported to a local hospital and is being treated for a broken jaw, several fractured vertebrae and some broken ribs. There is no sign of spinal cord damage at this time and Morais is continuing to be evaluated. A full recovery is anticipated.
NathanKershaw
1/23/2012 9:24am
moscrop940 wrote:

Moscrop
Suns_PSD wrote:
I'm not trying to be a jerk but if you feel that way after a few injuries at 20 you were going to naturally be handicapped...

Good Luck!
moscrop940 wrote:
You know what buddy no offense taken at all. A lot of people dont get it right off the bat either because people break their leg...
You know what buddy no offense taken at all. A lot of people dont get it right off the bat either because people break their leg and walk fine, where as I hobble like a son of a bitch.

Anyway buddy I havent always felt this way, I put both of my tibia and fibula through the tops of my feet, shattering all of the bones in my feet and ankles. I have no cartlidge in between several the bones in my feet anymore which causes them to swell up like a balloon after only a few hours on them. I have to favor one leg depending on which leg is hurting worse, which causes me to lean/hobble to one side, which causes my back to start kick'n because I walk like a tard most of the time. Everyone who walks with a limp for awhile starts to develop back pain, and I walk like it everyday

That and a torn ACL,MCL,PCL,Miniscus,Growth plate, and A shattered knee cap that ALL healed up broken because my doctor never caught any of it because I wasnt complaining about my knees when I broke my legs.

Just explaining that I use to feel great, but not so much anymore. Good for your young feeling body though man.'

Moscrop
I am definitely at the less injured end of the equation and hope Ryan and Trey make a full recovery.

For most of us carrying our motocross injuries through into out normal work lives is hard, but I have found I can support and minimize the impact my motocross baggage has on my daily life, through stretching, training and nutrition.

I didn't fully tear my knees but they got a very good stretching and loosening, then standard collar bone, shoulder and finger injuries. My knees took about 6 months to be kind of right. I then went to various specialists for problems that started to crop up years later and found one interesting thing among many others which stuck with me. When the body is recovering it favors the injury, so with a knee, your back, hips and legs all go out of alignment and stay out of alignment once you are recovered (which you don't notice), then over the coming years the real damage is done because of the alignment issue.

So, I got taught how to be straight again, by chiropractors and physios. Then i started Pilates and yoga, I like bikram personally, everything stays straight because all the various muscles, ligaments and tendons aren't trying to pull my body in all different directions.

Once you have got yourself loose and straight then build muscle around the areas that need support. I do a lot of cycling, my legs now support my knees and obviously you can apply it to other parts of the body in the same way. Stretching is now more important because the muscles are now stronger and still want to pull you in all directions.

Nutrition, my wife got me into this one, this is huge for me with my supplementation and vitamins, but you can't take any old ones, there formation is very important. If anyone want to now more about that, I'll go into it but it's complex.

The way I look at its, there are things you can do, it's 24hr, time consuming and on going. You only get one body and I really want to get the most out of mine which takes a lot of support and care.

All of this is expensive but it depends on how important it is to you. I'm personally willing to go without a lot of the beer I used to drink at weekends because I'm pain free most of the time, nearly 40 and feel physically able to ride now more than I have in a longtime.

Oh yeah, WATER! Drink as much as you can! It makes everything work better. It's so overlooked, our bodies use fluids for a lot of things, give it more......

Hope this helps.
mxdancer
1/23/2012 10:39am
moto431 wrote:

moscrop940 wrote:

Moscrop
You guys are saying just exactly what I have been trying to get across on this board for weeks. Amen...

The injurys sustained in this sport (and all extreme sports) are life changing and life altering. I support my grandkid to the max, but I would NOT be disappointed if he hung it all up tomorrow. Actually, I would encourage his decision to do just that. He was injured this weekend as well. Luckily only a dislocated shoulder. His future looks bright right now. I would hate to see a life threatening injury change all that.
GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
1/23/2012 11:18am
mxdancer wrote:
You guys are saying just exactly what I have been trying to get across on this board for weeks. Amen... The injurys sustained in this sport...
You guys are saying just exactly what I have been trying to get across on this board for weeks. Amen...

The injurys sustained in this sport (and all extreme sports) are life changing and life altering. I support my grandkid to the max, but I would NOT be disappointed if he hung it all up tomorrow. Actually, I would encourage his decision to do just that. He was injured this weekend as well. Luckily only a dislocated shoulder. His future looks bright right now. I would hate to see a life threatening injury change all that.
Yep, I watched the Asterisk Mobile Medical crew pop it in trackside. I appreciate that they're there every weekend.
RobGR
1/23/2012 11:28am
Trey is a great guy and I hope for a speedy recovery for both of him & Ryan.
MX45
1/23/2012 11:31am
I just watched the race this morning. Lots of emotions going on now.
I'm so glad there's no signs of cord damage. I'm hoping for the best possible recovery for both Trey and Ryan.
Recovering from one serious injury is tough enough. Multiple serious injuries is exponentially hard. Mentally and physically.
My thoughts go out to the riders and families as they recover.

This is not the thread to discuss it, but I would love to see riders wear more protection. It's not about getting up and getting back in the race after a crash, it's about minimizing serious injury, especially in multiples, so they can race another day!

I would like to see changes to the tracks. Again, not the place to discuss it, but every once in a while I just want to yell "I TOLD YOU SO!" Toughblocks have crashed too many people and ruined to many good races. If they were just half the height, you might avoid snagging a footpeg (Trey) and you could definately ride over them to safely enter, or exit the track. And guess what, the fans and cameras would still see the sponsors logos.
1/23/2012 11:45am
As a father that still races at 38 and two son's that race at ages 16 & 12. I always have very mixed emotions when I see a crash as terrible as this one. It's one thing to get hurt yourself, but nothing is worse than seeing your children injured.

I pray for Ryan and Trey to have a quick recovery and pray for their family and friends as well.

Hope they both come back strong!!!!!

God Bless!
burn1986
Fantasy
3280th
1/23/2012 12:02pm
Why is he agitated? Get well soon Ryan and Trey.
drmarkr
1/23/2012 12:45pm
burn1986 wrote:
Why is he agitated? Get well soon Ryan and Trey.
Stop by and I'll wire your mouth shut.....hell if you're the LEAST bit OCD, you're be agitated within 5-10 minutes.....
SL91
1/23/2012 12:48pm
burn1986 wrote:
Positive thoughts are great, but why not put feet to these thoughts and pray for their healing and recovery. They both need all the help they...
Positive thoughts are great, but why not put feet to these thoughts and pray for their healing and recovery. They both need all the help they can get.
Sympathetic thoughts and praying are pretty much the same thing.

Post a reply to: Canard and Morais Injury Updates

The Latest