Can someone in the know, please ask Payton about this 250F vs 250 crap.

DrSweden
Edited Date/Time 3/22/2013 7:18pm
Would be nice to hear his perspective in this 250F vs 250 smoker constant debate. If he put Bagget on 250 smoker, would he be more or less competetive than on his 250F (in the 250 class)? I figured we are all biased, even Payton who basically is forced to promote only Fs these days, tight bands to Kwacker, maybe he shoots himself in the foot by saying anything in favoring smokers, but would be nice to hear his view since all the rest of us seems wondering in the dark.

I figure, some of you maybe know him, and maybe at the right opportunity could just spit it out to be a sport towards the rest of us.

In my book, could be an article worth publishing for all I know...
|
partialperson
3/22/2013 9:32am
There was an article several years back where he said technology for the 2 stroke had ceased,was at the end stage, and the four stroke technology was pretty much in baby steps. Not a direct quote, but a silly summary of what I may or may not remember.
3/22/2013 9:35am
There was an article several years back where he said technology for the 2 stroke had ceased,was at the end stage, and the four stroke technology...
There was an article several years back where he said technology for the 2 stroke had ceased,was at the end stage, and the four stroke technology was pretty much in baby steps. Not a direct quote, but a silly summary of what I may or may not remember.
At and end-state for Japanese R&D departments. That's ok, Europe, NZL and Aus have picked that ball up.

The same was said in 01 for motoGP, almost verbatim.
3/22/2013 9:35am
I bet his hands are tied. I'm sure the big manufacturers can tell him one thing: "You're building 4 strokes or nothing."

The Shop

Torco1
3/22/2013 9:40am
You had to use the gif when they played and beat the Steelers....didn't you........
3/22/2013 10:11am
Torco1 wrote:
You had to use the gif when they played and beat the Steelers....didn't you........
Would you prefer a gif of Tebow beating the Steelers.. in the playoffs.... ? Grinning
Shawn142
3/22/2013 10:18am
Mitch has done many a podcast answering questions about 2-strokes. I don't know if anyone has asked him the question from that side, it's always whether or not he feels 2-strokes should be allowed in the current rules. He has said no, not without a level playing field. Right now his 2-strokes wouldn't even be legal and KTM starts with a huge advantage, so he would never agree to a rules change.

I don't know where you guys get the idea OEMs are going to fine or look down on their riders/employees/contractors for saying positive things about 2-strokes.. Mitch has said plenty favorable about them over the years. I imagine he's getting tired of being asked the questions though.
jtomasik
3/22/2013 10:20am
Torco1 wrote:
TripleFive wrote:
Would you prefer a gif of Tebow beating the Steelers.. in the playoffs.... ? Grinning
Laughing

I'm a Broncos fan, and I'd even be insulted!
X-RACER
3/22/2013 10:24am
If that rule were put into effect, we would see history repeting itself. Like back in the early 70's. The death of the 4S mx bike. They proved themselves to heavy,slow and expensive. All it would take is one factory team to make the switch and its a wrap.
Torco1
3/22/2013 10:30am
Torco1 wrote:
TripleFive wrote:
Thanks for bringing that up.
Shawn142
3/22/2013 10:32am
X-RACER wrote:
If that rule were put into effect, we would see history repeting itself. Like back in the early 70's. The death of the 4S mx bike...
If that rule were put into effect, we would see history repeting itself. Like back in the early 70's. The death of the 4S mx bike. They proved themselves to heavy,slow and expensive. All it would take is one factory team to make the switch and its a wrap.
Yes because the situation now is exactly like it was in the 70s. 4-strokes simply wouldn't be competitive. I hear the weight limit on 250Fs is 250lbs and they make 25hp. The AMA is afraid of KTM coming to the gate with a 180lbs 70hp 250SX 2-stroke that will put all the other OEMs out of business.
jtomasik
3/22/2013 10:40am Edited Date/Time 3/22/2013 10:41am
Shawn142 wrote:
Yes because the situation now is exactly like it was in the 70s. 4-strokes simply wouldn't be competitive. I hear the weight limit on 250Fs is...
Yes because the situation now is exactly like it was in the 70s. 4-strokes simply wouldn't be competitive. I hear the weight limit on 250Fs is 250lbs and they make 25hp. The AMA is afraid of KTM coming to the gate with a 180lbs 70hp 250SX 2-stroke that will put all the other OEMs out of business.
I wonder if anyone's done a marketing study on how the dirt rider demographics break out? Do the AMA rules have that much influence on the entire market? Or, do they only influence those that race? I'm curious if the biggest part of the market is being missed by not producing a relatively inexpensive, nimble, well behaved smoker. People might believe that the marketing groups of these big bike manufacturers wouldn't miss something like that, but I've seen it happen in an unrelated market. I worked for the company that recognized it, and that company's approach turned into the mainstream of that industry.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
3/22/2013 10:44am
Mitch has a great relationship with Kawasaki, which does not produce a 2-stroke MX bike. In order to thank and support his sponsor, he will always do his best to sell Kawasakis, which by default means pushing a 4-stroke.
I'm sure that if he were speaking completely honestly, he'd say a 2-stroke would be preferable in any comparison wherein the displacements were equal. In other words, a 250 2-stroke would be a much more potent race machine than a 250 4-stroke, ESPECIALLY in the hands of a talented rider like Baggett.
WhKnuckle
3/22/2013 12:17pm
I don't think it's that cut and dried, that a 2 stroke 250 would destroy a 4 stroke 250. If the smoker was THAT much faster, then it would also own the 450 class, because 250Fs are only a tick or two slower than 450s now. And I don't see many guys going to the gate on 250 smokers in the 450 class. If Bagget was 1 to 2 seconds a lap faster on the 250T, he be killing the guys on 450s.
3/22/2013 12:42pm
WhKnuckle wrote:
I don't think it's that cut and dried, that a 2 stroke 250 would destroy a 4 stroke 250. If the smoker was THAT much faster...
I don't think it's that cut and dried, that a 2 stroke 250 would destroy a 4 stroke 250. If the smoker was THAT much faster, then it would also own the 450 class, because 250Fs are only a tick or two slower than 450s now. And I don't see many guys going to the gate on 250 smokers in the 450 class. If Bagget was 1 to 2 seconds a lap faster on the 250T, he be killing the guys on 450s.
There is this part of the race called the start, that blows this theory to bits.
newmann
3/22/2013 1:03pm
" I don't know that I like the 250 four-strokes in the 125 class. It is too much of an advantage. They are double the size of our KX125's. Double! The legal four-strokes in the 250 class aren't double. The legal four strokes in the 80 class aren't double. You need to find a happy medium, and 250 ain't it. They are going to keep getting better, too. Right now, the 125's can run with them with momentum and speed in the corners, but what happens when you get behind them is that they slow down in the corners because they don't corner as well. They squirt the first ten or twenty feet, and then you have to try and run them down. That's hard. They get great starts too because of their traction. They have a big advantage here. You get little kids getting off an 80cc bike and they'll have to go to a 250. It is too big for tham, too heavy and they can't start the things. All the manufacturers are working on them, and unfortunately we'll all be racing them in a few years."

Quoted in MXA, Sept. 2001.

I especially like the "unfortunately" part. He knew what was coming and after dominating that class with his 2 strokes for the past decade had to completely rethink his way of doing business. I can completely understand why he would not want 250 2 strokes in with the 250 4 strokes now after all his investment in the 4 stroke program. It was as screwed up then as it is now. The 125 got killed off and shouldn't have. That is the one bike that still has its place in motocross both here in the U.S. and abroad. It needs to come back.

http://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/Mitch-Payton-on-250s-in-t…
WhKnuckle
3/22/2013 1:09pm
WhKnuckle wrote:
I don't think it's that cut and dried, that a 2 stroke 250 would destroy a 4 stroke 250. If the smoker was THAT much faster...
There is this part of the race called the start, that blows this theory to bits.
The fastest bike doesn't get the start. The bike that's set up best for the start coupled with a rider who hits the gate perfectly then holds the throttle on the longest gets the start.
JW381
3/22/2013 1:10pm
WhKnuckle wrote:
Plus, why are you so sure Bagget wouldn't be really competitive on a factory quality 250 2-stroke? No doubt that the 450s are ungodly fast, but RC and James and Chad were all still mixing gas in 2005 against a lot of 450s. In supercross, a top notch rider on a top notch 250 could still threaten, despite the difference in R&D. Yes, I really believe this, but I also know that no one has any reason to try and do this; no rider, no team owner, no manufacturer, no one. While Bagget could still be a force, he has no reason to not give himself the very best shot to win, which is a 450F. Now if 300cc direct injection 2-strokes with all the latest updates were an option, maybe he'd choose that. I don't know, I'm no geologist tho.
JW381
3/22/2013 1:15pm
WhKnuckle wrote:
WhKnuckle wrote:
The fastest bike doesn't get the start. The bike that's set up best for the start coupled with a rider who hits the gate perfectly then...
The fastest bike doesn't get the start. The bike that's set up best for the start coupled with a rider who hits the gate perfectly then holds the throttle on the longest gets the start.
I disagree with that. I'd say starts have a closer ratio of rider skill to bike quality than any other area of the track, save for the hoops.

But no matter what the bike quality still plays a big role. I know we get our heads wrapped around the notion that the fastest guys will win no matter what, and that's true, but only to an extent. Look at MC switching to Suzuki, or James on the Yamahas, or even Dungey's marginal success since going Orange (I believe it's marginal, compared to his results on the Suzuki, but I don't have actual numbers to support that, so feel free to prove me wrong).
indy_maico
3/22/2013 1:53pm
I wonder why you can't run a new YZ250 or YZ125 at an AMA National or SX? The latest model year approved is 2010. (not that much has changed since then, but kind of weird)

DrSweden
3/22/2013 1:56pm Edited Date/Time 3/22/2013 2:08pm
Falcon wrote:
Mitch has a great relationship with Kawasaki, which does not produce a 2-stroke MX bike. In order to thank and support his sponsor, he will always...
Mitch has a great relationship with Kawasaki, which does not produce a 2-stroke MX bike. In order to thank and support his sponsor, he will always do his best to sell Kawasakis, which by default means pushing a 4-stroke.
I'm sure that if he were speaking completely honestly, he'd say a 2-stroke would be preferable in any comparison wherein the displacements were equal. In other words, a 250 2-stroke would be a much more potent race machine than a 250 4-stroke, ESPECIALLY in the hands of a talented rider like Baggett.
I was actually thinking him maybe saying they would be better isn't working against his deal, strings to Kawasaki? Maybe even supporting their production and ties to the existing rule that doesn't allow them in? Picturing him saying, they are shit, his 250F would blow any tuned SX250 into pieces, who the hell would have a good argument for banning them in the 250F class after that?

Seems Payton has been pretty sober previously, I picture him as a person that has enough leverage, courage to be sincere in a rather heated, important topic, add his amazing knowledge.

I hope someone would find the time to ask him...
3/22/2013 2:49pm Edited Date/Time 3/22/2013 2:58pm
Why work twice as hard to go the same speed? Fair of not, It doesnt sound like a good business decision for a professional rider.
jtomasik
3/22/2013 2:53pm
newmann wrote:
" I don't know that I like the 250 four-strokes in the 125 class. It is too much of an advantage. They are double the size...
" I don't know that I like the 250 four-strokes in the 125 class. It is too much of an advantage. They are double the size of our KX125's. Double! The legal four-strokes in the 250 class aren't double. The legal four strokes in the 80 class aren't double. You need to find a happy medium, and 250 ain't it. They are going to keep getting better, too. Right now, the 125's can run with them with momentum and speed in the corners, but what happens when you get behind them is that they slow down in the corners because they don't corner as well. They squirt the first ten or twenty feet, and then you have to try and run them down. That's hard. They get great starts too because of their traction. They have a big advantage here. You get little kids getting off an 80cc bike and they'll have to go to a 250. It is too big for tham, too heavy and they can't start the things. All the manufacturers are working on them, and unfortunately we'll all be racing them in a few years."

I especially like the "unfortunately" part. He knew what was coming and after dominating that class with his 2 strokes for the past decade had to completely rethink his way of doing business. I can completely understand why he would not want 250 2 strokes in with the 250 4 strokes now after all his investment in the 4 stroke program. It was as screwed up then as it is now. The 125 got killed off and shouldn't have. That is the one bike that still has its place in motocross both here in the U.S. and abroad. It needs to come back.

This thread is complete.
JW381
3/22/2013 3:13pm
newmann wrote:
" I don't know that I like the 250 four-strokes in the 125 class. It is too much of an advantage. They are double the size...

jtomasik wrote:
This thread is complete.
I'm gonna play devil's advocate here. Keep in mind I'm a loyal 2-stroke owner.

But this was at a time (late 90's early 2000's) when Supercross and Motocross were trying to go mainstream. Like main mainstream. I think with that commitment, any grass-rootedness becomes irrelevant to the larger cause. NASCAR and F1 don't really care about affordability of local racing, or ease of maintenance, or model diversity. Their main goal is to provide the best racing business model, and help their sponsors sell products. Notice I did not specifically say "sell cars" because I don't feel that's the entire focus of either form of racing. So in the AMA, having a viable "support class" became less of a priority. The 250 class is still a feeder system to the 450 premiere class, but once you're on a solid team in the 250s, you've essentially made it already. The real feeder system now is the amateur events like LLs, where 250 two strokes are legal in the 250 class.

Where we get screwed is the "production rule", I think. If AMA pro dirtbike racing was run on true works bikes, run what you brung style, then the manufacturers could afford to have more variation in their model lineups, instead of striving to sell the bikes the pros are riding in a production package. There's a ton of Chevy car and truck models, but only a handful of Chevy sprint racers.

Hopefully what I'm saying somewhat makes sense.
cpj36
3/22/2013 3:42pm
WhKnuckle wrote:
If it were that simple, James & all the other guys on 125's & 250f's that turned laps as fast or faster than the bikes, should also be destroying everyone when they too got on big bikes.

Also, as bad as the 250 2stk might have been in the 450 class, nobody ever used the 250f instead.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
3/22/2013 4:00pm
WhKnuckle wrote:
cpj36 wrote:
If it were that simple, James & all the other guys on 125's & 250f's that turned laps as fast or faster than the bikes, should...
If it were that simple, James & all the other guys on 125's & 250f's that turned laps as fast or faster than the bikes, should also be destroying everyone when they too got on big bikes.

Also, as bad as the 250 2stk might have been in the 450 class, nobody ever used the 250f instead.
This. Different tracks will produce different results from different bikes, certainly. (And let's not forget the laptimes JLaw turned on his 250F vs. 250T comparo - wasn't it something like 6 seconds faster on the two stroke?)

WhKnuckle, I maintain that 250Fs are not "only" a tick or two slower than 450s now. On almost any track, pro riders are several seconds per lap faster on average on the bigger bike. Don't get fooled by the occasional SX lap times wherein several world-class riders turn faster 250F laptimes than the ones posted by the 10th place 450s; the 450 is still a much faster machine. Likewise with a 250T. Harder to ride, sure, but in the hands of a capable rider (pro,) still faster.
cpj36
3/22/2013 4:22pm
For all the 2 stk bashing they run pretty well despite the sizable torque disadvantage that requires a talent advantage to compensate for. Nobody wants to even ride a 4 stk that's displaced anywhere near its 2 stk counterpart.

Closest thing to parity we may have is 150cc 4 stk in 125 schoolboy but nobody wants to do that, all about that 85 class tho.
3/22/2013 6:28pm
cpj36 wrote:
For all the 2 stk bashing they run pretty well despite the sizable torque disadvantage that requires a talent advantage to compensate for. Nobody wants to...
For all the 2 stk bashing they run pretty well despite the sizable torque disadvantage that requires a talent advantage to compensate for. Nobody wants to even ride a 4 stk that's displaced anywhere near its 2 stk counterpart.

Closest thing to parity we may have is 150cc 4 stk in 125 schoolboy but nobody wants to do that, all about that 85 class tho.
ha! all the mini dads are raging so hard right now
TeamGreen
3/22/2013 6:40pm
Mitch builds Kawasaki 2 Strokes: he's got 2 AC92 replicas for sell in his showroom.

Want to see Mitch get excited? Go talk to him about building a 250 2T for Mammoth.
cpj36
3/22/2013 7:06pm
twosmoke30 wrote:
ha! all the mini dads are raging so hard right now
Yup, bitch moan & whine to run the 150 in 85 then bitch moan & whine until they get schoolboy class that's 250 vs 150. I haven't cared enough to look in a few years but last time I bothered to check dyno ratings a 250 2stk made about as much torque as a 250f made horsepower. On occasion I try one for a couple laps & it feels like that hasn't changed much. Maybe it's just me but I've never once felt like a 250f was anything close to a 250 2stk. As fast in some sections maybe but we're talking about guys capable of keeping the 2stk @ peak output whr it rivals 450 output, not the rest of us.

Post a reply to: Can someone in the know, please ask Payton about this 250F vs 250 crap.

The Latest