Can I race this 07 CRF230f

barberzjb
10/9/2016 6:51pm
Bought it from a guy who "raced it". Its sweet and looks like a race bike but not sure if I believe the guy.
Bike Specs
2007 Honda CRF230F
Bored to a 250
BBR exhaust system
Cam breather
Red, Renthal 62 tooth rear sprocket
16 tooth front sprocket
428 Krause chain
Suspension is stock I believe (showa brand)
18 inch rear tire
21 inch front tire
Gold Pro Taper Conture handle bars
Red brake and clutch levers
The bike rips and rides very well, I am only worried about jumping. I ride this bike everyday on trails and want to get started on the track. Will I be alright to race on the weekends? Also if I upgrade the forks and rear shock will this bike be competitive?

|
loftyair
10/9/2016 6:58pm
Of course you can race it, competitive?, no. It will also break a lot. Don't make it better, just get a real motocross bike.
barberzjb
10/9/2016 7:01pm
loftyair wrote:
Of course you can race it, competitive?, no. It will also break a lot. Don't make it better, just get a real motocross bike.
What is going to "break a lot"
motokawi818
10/9/2016 7:20pm
You'll be fine. Start racing it and once you outgrow it with speed and skill you can afford a better one.
731chopper
Fantasy
390th
10/9/2016 7:20pm
That bike will never be competitive on a motocross track against a motocross bike. However, it is perfectly fine to learn on. Jumping will be the worst part but you can certainly learn to jump on it. When I got into the sport nearly 20 years ago my first bike was an xr80. My dad (who raced in the 70s) was just getting back into the sport and had a xr250.

After teaching me how to ride and doing trails for about a year we ventured to motocross tracks and I learned how to ride a track on my xr80 before graduating to a kx80. I remember watching my old man tear up the B practice on his XR passing a lot of people on real race bikes (which were really cool to me at the time being so young and new to it). I was amazed. The old man had skills! He later bought a YZ400.

The point is, I'm speaking from experience. Some people look down at people who show up to a track on anything less than the latest and greatest. And to be honest I was probably one of those people when I was a prick 17 year old kid. But I embrace and encourage any person looking to ride motocross now. Whether the bike is 3 days or 30 years old, whether it's got A-kit suspension or a headlight and a fanny pack, the more people at the track the better.

The Shop

motokawi818
10/9/2016 7:21pm
Just to add I started racing on an xr100.
nate324
10/9/2016 7:23pm
You can race it but I wouldn't recommend it. You would be at a disadvantage. It is made for trail riding specifically. Don't waste money on upgrading the suspention. I'd recommend selling it and using the money that you would spend on the suspension to buy a race bike. Just my opinion
mwssquad827
10/9/2016 7:45pm Edited Date/Time 10/9/2016 7:46pm
loftyair wrote:
barberzjb wrote:
What is going to "break a lot"
The forks/frame will flex and or break!! That bike isn't made to race! Jumping it will be dangerous!! If you are going to race get a 250f, if you are going to have fun with your buddies in the hills/desert rock the 230
motokawi818
10/9/2016 7:48pm
Based on my assumption of your skill level never racing. You won't notice a thing on suspension until you become faster. Just set the clickers and everything to something in the middle a ride it. If you race and enjoy it start saving for a motocross specific bike.
motokawi818
10/9/2016 7:50pm
The forks/frame will flex and or break!! That bike isn't made to race! Jumping it will be dangerous!! If you are going to race get a...
The forks/frame will flex and or break!! That bike isn't made to race! Jumping it will be dangerous!! If you are going to race get a 250f, if you are going to have fun with your buddies in the hills/desert rock the 230
No beginner can jump and break this bike. It's not like he's going out and possible casing supercross triples. He'll be fine on the average local motocross track table tops and small doubles.
barberzjb
10/9/2016 7:55pm
Thanks everyone for the replies!!! First post on the forum and will defiantly be asking more in the future. As of now I will be going to the track this weekend, if I like it I will start saving for a race bike.
kiwifan
10/9/2016 8:02pm
Chuck some twin pipes on and you are good to go Smile
xr70
10/9/2016 8:03pm
i f u have death wish than race it , if not than sell it and buy a motocross bike!
TeamGreen
10/9/2016 8:06pm
barberzjb wrote:
Thanks everyone for the replies!!! First post on the forum and will defiantly be asking more in the future. As of now I will be going...
Thanks everyone for the replies!!! First post on the forum and will defiantly be asking more in the future. As of now I will be going to the track this weekend, if I like it I will start saving for a race bike.
Just ride it at a track and -carefully- see what it can do.
early
Fantasy
2139th
10/9/2016 8:10pm
Try to ride it at a practice day at a track and see how you like it. Dont do anything to crazy. Survive your first day at the track and more questions will be answered for you than anyone can type on this forum.
731chopper
Fantasy
390th
10/9/2016 8:11pm
The forks/frame will flex and or break!! That bike isn't made to race! Jumping it will be dangerous!! If you are going to race get a...
Lol that is quite the imagination you've got! The truth is that the wheels (assuming they're stock) will take the most abuse from jumping and bottoming the suspension.

I have a klx 140 as a play bike that I've absolutely abused the crap out of. No broken frame. No death. In fact the only bike I've broken a frame on was a kx85 when I was a kid after casing a big double.
motokawi818
10/9/2016 8:14pm
xr70 wrote:
i f u have death wish than race it , if not than sell it and buy a motocross bike!
Are you high or 14?
mwssquad827
10/9/2016 8:28pm
731chopper wrote:
Lol that is quite the imagination you've got! The truth is that the wheels (assuming they're stock) will take the most abuse from jumping and bottoming...
Lol that is quite the imagination you've got! The truth is that the wheels (assuming they're stock) will take the most abuse from jumping and bottoming the suspension.

I have a klx 140 as a play bike that I've absolutely abused the crap out of. No broken frame. No death. In fact the only bike I've broken a frame on was a kx85 when I was a kid after casing a big double.
I'm not saying it's going to break in one firery wreck dick!! I'm saying after a couple races or seasons at the track those forks and frame will be garbage!! Those forks/frame have no business jumping!! That's why all the young kids don't race Xr, ttr, klx, drz etc And all of us have abused a xr in our younger days.

Ps my imagination thinks your a dick!!
SEE ARE125
10/9/2016 9:08pm
early wrote:
Try to ride it at a practice day at a track and see how you like it. Dont do anything to crazy. Survive your first day...
Try to ride it at a practice day at a track and see how you like it. Dont do anything to crazy. Survive your first day at the track and more questions will be answered for you than anyone can type on this forum.
This. Don't be a Brandon. Go on practice days and get your feet wet when things are a little more laid back. Just take it easy, and watch and learn from the other riders.
Fourth_Floor
10/9/2016 9:14pm
Ride it and learn the basics on it. If you're a novice rider on a motocross track you would have more of a chance getting hurt on a motocross bike than you would your 230. When you get to the point that your skills are exceeding the capabilities of the bike then get a 250f.
10/9/2016 9:15pm
barberzjb wrote:
Thanks everyone for the replies!!! First post on the forum and will defiantly be asking more in the future. As of now I will be going...
Not sure why you need to be defiant. Being a noob is bad enough.

Imo just ride the bike until your skill supasses what the bike can safely do. You'll know when you've hit that point, and it shouldn't take long. Then you can either back it off to save the bike or buy an mx'er. Don't mod the 230 for moto imo. Stfu. Smile
barberzjb
10/9/2016 9:32pm
barberzjb wrote:
Not sure why you need to be defiant. Being a noob is bad enough. Imo just ride the bike until your skill supasses what the bike...
Not sure why you need to be defiant. Being a noob is bad enough.

Imo just ride the bike until your skill supasses what the bike can safely do. You'll know when you've hit that point, and it shouldn't take long. Then you can either back it off to save the bike or buy an mx'er. Don't mod the 230 for moto imo. Stfu. Smile
Yeah I'm just gonna ride it at the track a few times this year and then I'll see what I want to do over the summer about getting a race bike. Btw I bought the bike with all those mods.
nytsmaC
10/9/2016 10:58pm
With good upgraded suspension that bike will be competitive and a hell of a lot of fun at the beginner class level. Put a set of 47mm showas and a works perf. Shock on it and go have fun, but be prepared to be way outgunned on it once you move up to novice and are racing against more experienced riders on much lighter, better handling and more powerful bikes.
HenryA
10/10/2016 3:36am
16-62? That's odd Huh
defeatist45
10/10/2016 5:29am
An 18" front? And 21" rear? Nice stance I'm sure lol. In all seriousness, I started on an XR200 and broke the frame in SEVERAL places. Also broke BOTH hubs and I never rode a track with it. That bike was not meant to jump. Tough bike, but not meant for that. I'm sure this frames are probably similar. Just get a 125.
Frodad78
10/10/2016 5:30am
Some places have Mad dog classes for air cooled fourstrokes like that.
BobPA
10/10/2016 5:37am
nytsmaC wrote:
With good upgraded suspension that bike will be competitive and a hell of a lot of fun at the beginner class level. Put a set of...
With good upgraded suspension that bike will be competitive and a hell of a lot of fun at the beginner class level. Put a set of 47mm showas and a works perf. Shock on it and go have fun, but be prepared to be way outgunned on it once you move up to novice and are racing against more experienced riders on much lighter, better handling and more powerful bikes.
Kids in beginner classes have clapped 250f's....still a hell of a lot more bike then the 230
usp4u
10/10/2016 5:49am
HenryA wrote:
16-62? That's odd Huh
MXA gone wild
VRR7
10/10/2016 5:50am
three9zero
10/10/2016 6:03am Edited Date/Time 10/10/2016 6:08am
I bought one for my wife who is a novice level cross country mtn biker and blue/green run skier. She was out-riding the suspension within 2 weeks. And it was slow too. Also Made in Brazil not Japan. And it weighs 250lbs+. Total pile of shit once you are fast enough to stand up on the pegs and hit bumps with the power on. Also no suspension adjustment. And brakes we useless.We sold it 2 weeks after owning it and bought her a kx 125 2 stroke. Instantly faster and chassis literally night and day better. You have bought a "ladies who only trail ride bike". Also we started her on a ttr 125 a month before we bought the 230 and really the ttr was better I rode both of them and would rather ride the ttr as the suspension on both sucked but at least the ttr was like 70lbs lighter.
GregDVT
10/10/2016 6:46am
VRR7 wrote:
Possibly the biggest waste of money ever

Post a reply to: Can I race this 07 CRF230f

The Latest