Calling all 2017 Husky fc 450 owners

deez387
Picking up today and to be completely honest, never been on one...but it was a great deal on what I've read to be a great bike. Just looking for any concerns , quirks, characteristics, etc? How good are these bikes out of the box? Will be having suspension done and more than likely a full fmf.
|
Motofinne
3/11/2017 6:10am Edited Date/Time 3/11/2017 6:18am
Yeah get at least a slip on since the stock muffler is the restricted EU version.

I would also get a new seat cover or an Acerbis X(the new version of it) seat. If you like a seat with an insane amount of grip(so much grip that you need to tighten the pants more than normal) get the Acerbis X seat, the best seat i have ever had. None of the stock covers these days last long and they provide very little grip.
mxb2
3/11/2017 6:20am
deez387 wrote:
Picking up today and to be completely honest, never been on one...but it was a great deal on what I've read to be a great bike...
Picking up today and to be completely honest, never been on one...but it was a great deal on what I've read to be a great bike. Just looking for any concerns , quirks, characteristics, etc? How good are these bikes out of the box? Will be having suspension done and more than likely a full fmf.
Slip on, screenless air filter cage, rear spring for your weight, set sag, rip it. Maybe different bars .
Bruce372
3/11/2017 7:05am
Watch out for oil leak at the slave cylinder.

Watch out for fluid leaking from the front brake master cylinder
TeamGreen
3/11/2017 7:09am
Motofinne wrote:
Yeah get at least a slip on since the stock muffler is the restricted EU version. I would also get a new seat cover or an...
Yeah get at least a slip on since the stock muffler is the restricted EU version.

I would also get a new seat cover or an Acerbis X(the new version of it) seat. If you like a seat with an insane amount of grip(so much grip that you need to tighten the pants more than normal) get the Acerbis X seat, the best seat i have ever had. None of the stock covers these days last long and they provide very little grip.
Good points:

1. The stock silencer (on some of the bikes) IS really quiet...nice and quiet...if you ever go trail riding it's "stealthy".
2. I run a Guts seat with their Gripper seat cover with 4 ribs across the back to prevent sliding off. Also, I run their Phantom seat foam, it's the lightest I've found and it lasts.
3. These bikes are "slim"'and there's not much to hold onto with your legs. This week I rode an FC350 with the FX tank...it was much easier to trip with my legs (thanks to Blaine "El Jeffe" Schuttler for that suggestion!).
4. If a rider as any "off-roading" in mind, get the FX. Same bike, already has the slightly bigger tank, kickstand (easily removed) and 18" rear which is what I run for MX tracks that're super choppy (usually 2nd Moto).
5. Play around with the Map and TC Sytems: they work!

The Shop

allna6
3/11/2017 7:12am Edited Date/Time 3/11/2017 7:13am
Exhaust wakes it up considerably(it doesn't need it though
deez387
3/11/2017 8:14am
Appreciate the feedback, all good info!
reded
3/11/2017 8:22am
Put one of these on before you roll it out of the dealership or your frame will turn a pitiful shade of brown.
mxb2
3/11/2017 8:26am
reded wrote:
Put one of these on before you roll it out of the dealership or your frame will turn a pitiful shade of brown. [img]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41eNtHVuwiL.jpg[/img]
Put one of these on before you roll it out of the dealership or your frame will turn a pitiful shade of brown.
Wipe it down each ride, it won't change colors. Not a fan of those, heard some bad vapor lock horror stories. Imo.
Mike 13
Fantasy
314th
4/7/2017 3:13am
I also just picked my first Husky, what tools would you recommend is a must coming over from a Kawasaki?
slothy
4/7/2017 4:36am
allna6 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/03/11/180831/s1200_IMG_3468.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/03/11/180832/s1200_IMG_3470.jpg[/img]

did you take a torch to the welds? non of my ti pipes ever looked that cool - usally just purple on the header pipe and mid pipe turns gold.
pete24
4/7/2017 5:56am
Mike 13 wrote:
I also just picked my first Husky, what tools would you recommend is a must coming over from a Kawasaki?
go back to the kawi asap
alexk417
4/7/2017 6:13am Edited Date/Time 4/7/2017 6:17am
Mike 13 wrote:
A good set of Torx and you should be good. I think most are 20, 25, 40 and 45. Could be missing a size though.

Don't lose bushing 25007060000 when you remove the seat bolt. I just screw mine back into the seat with bushing when I put the seat aside.

Also, I would just mess around with the suspension in stock form, it's pretty good right out of the box.
Sixeightone
4/7/2017 6:32am Edited Date/Time 4/7/2017 6:33am
So, I have a 2017 FC450. The list of things I have done.

-Take the slave cylinder off buy a new gasket, replace gasket and use some Hondabond to prevent it from leaking.
-Pull linkage, swing arm, and steering stem apart and grease the piss out of them!
-Pull the seat off and use di-electric grease on all the connectors, heard some stories about water related issues.
-Set your sag
-I found that in the manual the sport suspension settings worked the best out of the box.
-Derestrict the stock muffler or get a slip on.
-Get an air filter cage from a 2017 husky/ktm 2 stroke without the cage inside it.
-I noticed only one part of the air filter getting dirty, so I drilled some holes in the top of my number plate.
-Move the map switch off the bars to get some room
-I just ordered a top triple clamp for a 2015 so I can go back to the normal bar mounts. This new style twists and bends.
-I was not a fan of the stock bend bars, went with Renthal 971 bend
-Went with a works connection silver skid plate that I cut on the water pump side so it doesn't look goofy
-I think lock on grips are meant for mountain bikes not dirt bikes, So I ordered the ktm throttle tube for normal grips.
-It definitely needs a seatcover.
-Enduro Engineering makes a sweet brake tip that provides a little more traction.
-I might upgrade to the new battery tray and the 5s li-ion battery to get it to turn over quicker. Not a fan of the stock battery.

Other than just personal comforts of setting up the bike, it really doesn't need a ton of adjustment. I have just under 10 hours on the bike and I feel right at home and very confident that the bike isn't going to send me across the track. The best part about the bike is the Traction Control. It's like nothing I've ever experienced! It works VERY WELL!!

CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
4/7/2017 7:34am
I rode a'that bike stock in the soft map with traction control on and it was really good. Stock suspension and everything. I was very impressed. For reference I'm riding a 2016 KTM 250sxf full modded engine with WP kit suspension.
Bruce372
4/7/2017 11:08am
So, I have a 2017 FC450. The list of things I have done. -Take the slave cylinder off buy a new gasket, replace gasket and use...
So, I have a 2017 FC450. The list of things I have done.

-Take the slave cylinder off buy a new gasket, replace gasket and use some Hondabond to prevent it from leaking.
-Pull linkage, swing arm, and steering stem apart and grease the piss out of them!
-Pull the seat off and use di-electric grease on all the connectors, heard some stories about water related issues.
-Set your sag
-I found that in the manual the sport suspension settings worked the best out of the box.
-Derestrict the stock muffler or get a slip on.
-Get an air filter cage from a 2017 husky/ktm 2 stroke without the cage inside it.
-I noticed only one part of the air filter getting dirty, so I drilled some holes in the top of my number plate.
-Move the map switch off the bars to get some room
-I just ordered a top triple clamp for a 2015 so I can go back to the normal bar mounts. This new style twists and bends.
-I was not a fan of the stock bend bars, went with Renthal 971 bend
-Went with a works connection silver skid plate that I cut on the water pump side so it doesn't look goofy
-I think lock on grips are meant for mountain bikes not dirt bikes, So I ordered the ktm throttle tube for normal grips.
-It definitely needs a seatcover.
-Enduro Engineering makes a sweet brake tip that provides a little more traction.
-I might upgrade to the new battery tray and the 5s li-ion battery to get it to turn over quicker. Not a fan of the stock battery.

Other than just personal comforts of setting up the bike, it really doesn't need a ton of adjustment. I have just under 10 hours on the bike and I feel right at home and very confident that the bike isn't going to send me across the track. The best part about the bike is the Traction Control. It's like nothing I've ever experienced! It works VERY WELL!!

Yeah, I had the same issue. The sealing surface on the slave is recessed and doesn't seal well. Mine was fixed using a 32mm o ring into the recess and then using the gasket.

Really amazing bike, but silly little things can take the fun out of the new purchase!
captmoto
4/7/2017 12:57pm
Motofinne wrote:
Yeah get at least a slip on since the stock muffler is the restricted EU version. I would also get a new seat cover or an...

13mm sockets in 1/2" and 3/8th" drive for your linkage and motor mounts. I had some thrown in a spare tool box, bought a few more for my track box. I only use a couple torx on mine and that is for the right side frame guard which I think is 25 and a 45 for the bars and motor mount in front of the throttle body. I haven't had to do any major maintenance yet though.

The KTM frame guards cover way more frame and bolt on directly. I have 5.5 hours on mine and the frame is already scratched up.

One of these. https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-022-0198LI-Phosphate-Batteries/dp…
Myke
Fantasy
2883rd
4/7/2017 2:46pm
allna6 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/03/11/180831/s1200_IMG_3468.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/03/11/180832/s1200_IMG_3470.jpg[/img]

Ribbed seat cover with the hump. No sliding off the back of that thing.

Post a reply to: Calling all 2017 Husky fc 450 owners

The Latest