500guy
11/5/2009 2:03pm
That settles it he can't lose now

Alex
11/5/2009 2:29pm
I think Desalle riding a 'real' bike next year might be hot to handle
mxcrf34
11/5/2009 2:49pm
350 sounds like the perfect cc to me. the average person can't handle the "full" power of a 450. Unless you are a professional, just get the suspension revalved.
mccread
11/5/2009 3:03pm
Desalle, Plus Philipaerts and De dycker on the new yam and Strijbos back with Jobe in his corner, it's going to be some season!

The Shop

BobbyM
11/5/2009 4:42pm
alessi will kick his ass too!
The Rock
11/5/2009 8:44pm
mxcrf34 wrote:
350 sounds like the perfect cc to me. the average person can't handle the "full" power of a 450. Unless you are a professional, just get...
350 sounds like the perfect cc to me. the average person can't handle the "full" power of a 450. Unless you are a professional, just get the suspension revalved.
I respect your opinion but I have to call total BS on the 350s. Real men rode 500cc two strokes and only pros who don't train can't ride a 450 to their potential IMO.

All 350s will do is increase the cost of racing...........the thing that I really can't understand is why we don't take the opportunity to make the 450's quieter and reduce the power in the process....
fcr
11/5/2009 9:23pm
BobbyM wrote:
I believe you are correct. I just want to see him stay in one piece so he can prove it.
Alex
11/6/2009 3:15am
mxcrf34 wrote:
350 sounds like the perfect cc to me. the average person can't handle the "full" power of a 450. Unless you are a professional, just get...
The Rock wrote:
I respect your opinion but I have to call [b]total BS [/b]on the 350s. Real men rode 500cc two strokes and only pros who don't train...
I respect your opinion but I have to call total BS on the 350s. Real men rode 500cc two strokes and only pros who don't train can't ride a 450 to their potential IMO.

All 350s will do is increase the cost of racing...........the thing that I really can't understand is why we don't take the opportunity to make the 450's quieter and reduce the power in the process....
In fairness to KTM its not a question of how manly they can make their riders ;0) but how fast they can make them go. Judging by the fact that Cairoli was racing a 400cc Yamaha this season there seems to be a balance required between how much power is given and how hard it can be layed down by the rider. Ive a feeling 350 might be the perfect balance at this point in time, especially with the lighter mass. Either way, Id love to know how ACs laptimes compared on the two bikes he tested (350 KTM / 450 KTM). As for your point on the cost of racing, I couldnt agree more. That and noise are our two biggest obstacles and FIM/AMA need to be proactive in doing something about it right now.
Kinetic1
11/6/2009 3:20am
The Rock wrote:
I respect your opinion but I have to call [b]total BS [/b]on the 350s. Real men rode 500cc two strokes and only pros who don't train...

I am all for quiet bikes really I am. But why on earth would anyone ever want less power?
I loved my 87 500 honda (just the engine, the chassis sucked) and I really loved my 525 KTM. More is always better.
11/6/2009 5:45am
mxcrf34 wrote:
The Rock wrote:

LMAO One of "those" guys huh? Real men. Evil
SteveS
11/6/2009 6:16am
The Rock wrote:

Kinetic1 wrote:
I am all for quiet bikes really I am. But why on earth would anyone ever want less power? I loved my 87 500 honda (just...
I am all for quiet bikes really I am. But why on earth would anyone ever want less power?
I loved my 87 500 honda (just the engine, the chassis sucked) and I really loved my 525 KTM. More is always better.
In a drag race, more power is better--as long as you can get it on the ground.

On a road course (especially a dirt road), excess power can be a liability.

I used to do autocross with a Ford Fiesta. I could routinely whip Corvettes, despite their having 300+ horsepower to my 68.

With dirt bikes, more power is probably good in a desert enduro. But there will come a point where too much power (especially if it comes with weight and inertia) ends up being a detriment.
DrSweden
11/6/2009 6:23am
I agree with Rock here (about the 450 was sufficient) and I really wonder what's the point with the 350 for a racer, and why on earth will that set any new standard for racers?

For us I get it, some think the 250F are to slow while the 450 are to brutal, Voila the 350!
The Rock
11/6/2009 6:50am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 6:48pm
Kinetic1 wrote:
I am all for quiet bikes really I am. But why on earth would anyone ever want less power? I loved my 87 500 honda (just...
Great question. My response is why are they going to 350s then......do they make more or less power?

More is not always better. I have a friend who built 450 motors that "only" produced 52 to 53 hp....but still won AMA SX events.

The mistake people make is getting caught up in HP numbers...it isn't how much power you make but what kind of power/where is the power made. Steve S speaks the truth.

Dr Sweden-If 450s are too brutal why can't they just be made quieter to reduce the power?

Poker_Player-Have you ever raced a 500cc two stroke?
JOHN CHOATE
11/6/2009 6:59am
The Rock wrote:

Kinetic1 wrote:
SteveS wrote:
In a drag race, more power is better--as long as you can get it on the ground. On a road course (especially a dirt road), excess...

I used to do autocross with a Ford Fiesta. I could routinely whip Corvettes, despite their having 300+ horsepower to my 68.

With dirt bikes, more power is probably good in a desert enduro. But there will come a point where too much power (especially if it comes with weight and inertia) ends up being a detriment.
Yeah, unless the track is supreme, which isn't often around here, more power usually means more wheelspin. Have to have a sensitive throttle and clutch control.
SteveS
11/6/2009 7:35am
Bingo.

If you don't have to be constantly reducing the throttle, and working to not spin out, but instead can keep it hammered, then you can devote more of your attention to moving the bike around and over the obstacles.
englishman
11/6/2009 7:47am
BobbyM wrote:
Bobby I will respectfully bet you $50.00 that Cairoli will beat Alessi more time than Alessi will beat Cairoli.
BobbyM
11/6/2009 7:51am
BobbyM wrote:
englishman wrote:
Bobby I will respectfully bet you $50.00 that Cairoli will beat Alessi more time than Alessi will beat Cairoli.
euros or.....
englishman
11/6/2009 7:52am Edited Date/Time 11/6/2009 7:54am
BobbyM wrote:
englishman wrote:
BobbyM wrote:
euros or.....
$$'s . We'll shake on it at Anaheim then you can give me the $50.00 at Glen Helen when Mike gets back from Europe :-)
Camp332
11/6/2009 7:57am
I love a 450. You need to use your brain to ride it, and exercise throttle control. Yet, in certain situations when you need some extra umph, the 450 has it. Main thing is riding within your limits, and being relaxed on the bike. Not a freakin spazz case!

With that said, I would love to ride a 350!
FastEddy
Fantasy
944th
11/6/2009 9:42am
BobbyM wrote:
Yep!!!
The Hole Shot Master is going to kick everyone's ass over seas!
Especially going the MX only route (no sx).
He will be on his A+ game.

Kinetic1
11/6/2009 9:47am
SteveS wrote:
In a drag race, more power is better--as long as you can get it on the ground. On a road course (especially a dirt road), excess...

First of all I can tell you beyond a shadow of a doubt that on a roadcourse (speaking as someone who has turned thousands of laps on roadcourses) I was always faster with 1000cc fire breathing monsters than 600cc screamers. When you throw dirt into the mix it does change things a bit. By lowering the available traction you must use good throttle control. For someone who is hamfisted this is a problem but for those of us who know how to use that twistgrip thingy majig properly it's not an issue. I for one will take all of the power I can get. Even if it slows me down occaisionaly it's still more fun. Even if it is more work and tires me out faster.

And I'm with Bobby on this one. Alessi will have Carolli's number this coming year.
englishman
11/6/2009 9:50am Edited Date/Time 11/6/2009 9:51am
BobbyM wrote:
FastEddy wrote:
Yep!!! The Hole Shot Master is going to kick everyone's ass over seas! Especially going the MX only route (no sx). He will be on his...
Yep!!!

Are you as sure as BobbyM is ??
adamdf
11/6/2009 10:17am
mxcrf34 wrote:
The Rock wrote:

Dude, real men rode 500s, fair enough, but those same guys would be much faster on a more efficient 250F or 450 or 350. You could be in the shape of your life, but if you can't put all that power to the ground effectively (efficiently) then what good is it?
Oh and I ride and love an 09 kx450, having said that, I think the idea of a 350 sounds amazing.
BobbyM
11/6/2009 10:17am
BobbyM wrote:
FastEddy wrote:
Yep!!! The Hole Shot Master is going to kick everyone's ass over seas! Especially going the MX only route (no sx). He will be on his...
Yep!!!

englishman wrote:
we raped you guys 200+ years ago...you back for more?
BobbyM
11/6/2009 10:19am
englishman wrote:
BobbyM wrote:
euros or.....
englishman wrote:
$$'s . We'll shake on it at Anaheim then you can give me the $50.00 at Glen Helen when Mike gets back from Europe :-)
what is the forex for euros vs dolla?
Alex
11/6/2009 10:43am
FastEddy wrote:
Yep!!!

englishman wrote:
BobbyM wrote:
we raped you guys 200+ years ago...you back for more?
We? as in you and your buddies down the pub?
mccread
11/6/2009 10:44am
BobbyM wrote:
FastEddy wrote:
Yep!!!

He is going riding with Cairoli and Everts and racing the GPs to get faster... so when he comes to the US, he will be better prepared for the Us nationals after riding with the best riders in the world and racing the toughest outdoor series in the world.
SteveS
11/6/2009 12:48pm
Kinetic1 wrote:
First of all I can tell you beyond a shadow of a doubt that on a roadcourse (speaking as someone who has turned thousands of laps...
First of all I can tell you beyond a shadow of a doubt that on a roadcourse (speaking as someone who has turned thousands of laps on roadcourses) I was always faster with 1000cc fire breathing monsters than 600cc screamers. When you throw dirt into the mix it does change things a bit. By lowering the available traction you must use good throttle control. For someone who is hamfisted this is a problem but for those of us who know how to use that twistgrip thingy majig properly it's not an issue. I for one will take all of the power I can get. Even if it slows me down occaisionaly it's still more fun. Even if it is more work and tires me out faster.

And I'm with Bobby on this one. Alessi will have Carolli's number this coming year.
Get the dirt in there.

Why don't they run V12 rally cars?
FastEddy
Fantasy
944th
11/6/2009 2:43pm
BobbyM wrote:
FastEddy wrote:
Yep!!!

englishman wrote:
Dude,Mike isn't going over there to finish second. Wink
Serious...
His comfort zone speed looks to be in-between Stewart and Reed's speed (watching him the past 2 years).
Reed was on the heels of AC at the MXoN.
Alessi had Reed covered no problem outdoors.
In fact Mike is 2 notches up from Reedy as far as raw MX speed goes. Wink

Post a reply to: Cairoli on new 350 (spyshot)

The Latest