Buying an MX bike with a salvaged title?

pCp 252
Fantasy
2541st
I'm looking at a low hour 2015 250F that is priced below fair market value. The seller is including the matching MSO but it's stamped as "salvaged". I've never ran into this before. The seller's story is that the bike was stolen from him but it was insured at the time. Police were notified and the insurance company sent a check to the seller for a "total loss". Later, the bike was recovered and the now the bike is for sale with the salvaged title.

Does this seem accurate? I don't know the seller personally and haven't been able to get a real gauge on him yet. I have no concerns with the condition of the bike, it appears to be in excellent condition and I know what to look for. Im just concerned about the paper-trail. What kind of question's should I be asking the seller to ensure I've done my due-diligence?

Im interested in riding this bike until it's reached that point of depreciation where it makes more sense to get a new one rather than sink money rebuilding the motor & suspension. Do you think the value of the bike will significantly suffer with the salvaged title once it comes time for me to sell it?

I would usually walk away from a deal when it starts to sound fishy. But IDK this time, any advice?
|
kzizok
Fantasy
2068th
11/26/2016 4:27pm Edited Date/Time 11/26/2016 4:33pm
Do you have to register it? I have never titled an off road bike but understand that may be different in different areas.

Or, what if you bought a bike from a place that didnt title off road bikes? How is that handled?
pCp 252
Fantasy
2541st
11/26/2016 4:36pm
Actually in Massachusetts, you are required by law to register any OHV (off-highway vehicle) for use on private property including privately owned MX tracks. Its kind of ridiculous but it's rarely enforced. However some tracks in the area have been visited by the EPA recently and riders were not able to ride if their bikes were unregistered. The law has been active for 6 years and the current language of the law would force Eli Tomac & Ken Roczen's bike to be registered with Massachusetts if they want to race Southwick.
kzizok
Fantasy
2068th
11/26/2016 4:44pm Edited Date/Time 11/26/2016 4:50pm
Got it. You know, the more I think about, the more I think that a salvaged off road title doesn't have the same connotations that one with a car does. Insur companies usually wont give full coverage on cars, so that almost forces potential buyers to have the cash to pay for it out right and not be able to finance it. Which isn't usually the case for a used off road bike, where most expect to buy them outright. Additionally, the reason for the total was not from damage but from theft with a pay off.

I'm a little confused about the EPA part as they are a federal entity and states differ on registration laws.
walent215
11/26/2016 5:53pm
Since you know what to look for then I would snatch it up before someone else does if it's significantly less than market value.

The Shop

crusher773
11/26/2016 6:19pm
Yes it will hurt your value on resale for sure by at least 40%. I would ask to see some of the documents for the claim a settlement letter or something showing that bike with that VIN with that cause of loss as theft. I would be wary if it was stolen it wasn't taken care of while it was in the hands of thieves.
kzizok
Fantasy
2068th
11/26/2016 6:27pm
crusher773 wrote:
Yes it will hurt your value on resale for sure by at least 40%. I would ask to see some of the documents for the claim...
Yes it will hurt your value on resale for sure by at least 40%. I would ask to see some of the documents for the claim a settlement letter or something showing that bike with that VIN with that cause of loss as theft. I would be wary if it was stolen it wasn't taken care of while it was in the hands of thieves.
What brings the value down?
SEE ARE125
11/26/2016 6:53pm
Run the VIN here. It's free and the theft should show up there if it was reported to insurance. Print out a copy and keep it for your records and when the time comes to sell it.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
11/26/2016 7:26pm Edited Date/Time 11/26/2016 7:27pm
crusher773 wrote:
Yes it will hurt your value on resale for sure by at least 40%. I would ask to see some of the documents for the claim...
It aint a used car Pinch
Pirate421
11/26/2016 7:32pm
pCp 252 wrote:
Actually in Massachusetts, you are required by law to register any OHV (off-highway vehicle) for use on private property including privately owned MX tracks. Its kind...
Actually in Massachusetts, you are required by law to register any OHV (off-highway vehicle) for use on private property including privately owned MX tracks. Its kind of ridiculous but it's rarely enforced. However some tracks in the area have been visited by the EPA recently and riders were not able to ride if their bikes were unregistered. The law has been active for 6 years and the current language of the law would force Eli Tomac & Ken Roczen's bike to be registered with Massachusetts if they want to race Southwick.
That's weird I live In ma and ride at a bunch of tracks and have never been asked about my bike being registered. Not doubting you since when I would ride as a kid we registered our bikes to ride in the mtns. But since I started riding and racing mx, registration has never come up. Have even raced Jdays and never heard the registration bit.
pCp 252
Fantasy
2541st
11/26/2016 8:42pm
kzizok wrote:
Got it. You know, the more I think about, the more I think that a salvaged off road title doesn't have the same connotations that one...
Got it. You know, the more I think about, the more I think that a salvaged off road title doesn't have the same connotations that one with a car does. Insur companies usually wont give full coverage on cars, so that almost forces potential buyers to have the cash to pay for it out right and not be able to finance it. Which isn't usually the case for a used off road bike, where most expect to buy them outright. Additionally, the reason for the total was not from damage but from theft with a pay off.

I'm a little confused about the EPA part as they are a federal entity and states differ on registration laws.
Not EPA, should have said Massachusett's Environmental Police.
pCp 252
Fantasy
2541st
11/26/2016 8:46pm
Pirate421 wrote:
That's weird I live In ma and ride at a bunch of tracks and have never been asked about my bike being registered. Not doubting you...
That's weird I live In ma and ride at a bunch of tracks and have never been asked about my bike being registered. Not doubting you since when I would ride as a kid we registered our bikes to ride in the mtns. But since I started riding and racing mx, registration has never come up. Have even raced Jdays and never heard the registration bit.
The Mass OHV registration rules are apart of Sean's Laws which also restrict youth riders to limited CC's. I had never heard about it until recently when a local track was visited by the Environmental Police and demanded registration to ride.
Cancerman
11/26/2016 10:34pm
A salvage title can happen when a bike is blown up, and the repair bill is more than the customer will pay. If the bike is left there, the shop executes a mechanic's lien, and waits for a title. Sometimes the title will come to them as salvaged, at least in Florida. I bought a bike cheap this way once. As long as you know the devalue from the start, you just pass it along later to the new owner. Hard to make money though. Not the same as a car or truck. A much bigger deal.
kzizok
Fantasy
2068th
11/26/2016 11:18pm
Couldn't a mechanics lien work well in this situation? And then, after appropriate claim time (whatever that may be), couldn't the title just be signed over to the lien holder?
DanDunes818
11/27/2016 12:05am
crusher773 wrote:
I couldn't see this hurting the value one cent, but that's just me. It's funny 'cause I just learned about Salvaged and Rebuilt titles within the hour. The wife and I are looking for a used car and it's come up a lot today. Mainly because we're in Oregon and Salvaged titles I guess are a thing here.

For cars after learning about them, I would stay away, but for a dirt bike I wouldn't hesitate if the price was right.
Starcrossed
11/27/2016 4:29am
Sounds about right for MA. If you looked the bike over and feel comfortable about it's condition, and aren't looking to resell it immediately, go for it. There is probably a minor stigma that attaches to a salvage title, but it sounds like the bike is discounted appropriately.
11/27/2016 5:39am
pCp 252 wrote:
I'm looking at a low hour 2015 250F that is priced below fair market value. The seller is including the matching MSO but it's stamped as...
I'm looking at a low hour 2015 250F that is priced below fair market value. The seller is including the matching MSO but it's stamped as "salvaged". I've never ran into this before. The seller's story is that the bike was stolen from him but it was insured at the time. Police were notified and the insurance company sent a check to the seller for a "total loss". Later, the bike was recovered and the now the bike is for sale with the salvaged title.

Does this seem accurate? I don't know the seller personally and haven't been able to get a real gauge on him yet. I have no concerns with the condition of the bike, it appears to be in excellent condition and I know what to look for. Im just concerned about the paper-trail. What kind of question's should I be asking the seller to ensure I've done my due-diligence?

Im interested in riding this bike until it's reached that point of depreciation where it makes more sense to get a new one rather than sink money rebuilding the motor & suspension. Do you think the value of the bike will significantly suffer with the salvaged title once it comes time for me to sell it?

I would usually walk away from a deal when it starts to sound fishy. But IDK this time, any advice?
No!
MX558
11/27/2016 6:05am
I'd snatch it up . I've bought and sold many bikes without a title and never had a problem. Even selling one without a title only drops the value about 5% at most around here .
Stonedmason
11/27/2016 6:52am
I live in Louisiana and have never had a title for a bike only bill of sales. Maybe it's different from other places.
Kenny Lingus
11/27/2016 7:20am
Thieves don't tend to take good care of things. You have no idea what they did to it. Personally, I would avoid it like the plague.
Cygnus
11/27/2016 7:31am
Again it's not a used car. We used to be able to take a Colorado salvage title to New Mexico and when it was plated there the new title wouldn't show as salvage. If you are saving a lot of $$$ over the regular used prices go for it. Colorado doesn't title dirt bikes so no worries here when a bike is stolen and recovered.
zookrider62!
Fantasy
583rd
11/27/2016 11:59am
It will effect the value when you sell it, mainly because of the stigma behind the salvage title. On average a salvage title should knock down the retail value by 20 to 50%.
If it is a good deal and you arent worried about the re-sell value, go for it.
I would double check to see if the salvage reason is because it was stolen, as it could have been salvaged for any number of reasons.
crusher773
11/27/2016 4:42pm
crusher773 wrote:
kzizok wrote:
What brings the value down?
Just the fact it's a salvage title which means it has a not good background. Look at it this way if 2 identical bikes are side by side for the same price and 1 has a salvage title and the other doesn't you would take the clean title one every time.
vetmxr
11/27/2016 6:07pm
I'd be afraid of opening up a can of worms with the "salvage title" moniker. Instead of trying to answer questions about a salvage title for a dirt bike, I'd just tell everyone that it comes with no title.......Titles aren't a problem around here on non licensed things....

Post a reply to: Buying an MX bike with a salvaged title?

The Latest