Budds Creek Moments

tbanks
Edited Date/Time 6/13/2012 7:13pm
Maybe I will get flamed for this, but I'm excited for this weekend's race. I haven't been to a national or supercross in a year so I'm pumped to get back at it this week. Plus I'm rooting for my boy Nick Lane making his outdoor premiere this weekend.

What I would like to know is everyone's take on being a fan at Budds Creek. Describe your best stories at Budds (the place Mr. Beasley built).

Some moments that I will definitely never forget where James' ride from last to first, RC's 150th victory, and of course RV's ride at the MXdN. But I want to hear some other experiences of up close action. One moment I will never forget was one year I was standing up near the old starting line up to the left of Henry's Hill. That year Alessi was on the 250 KTM and he had pulled one of his good starts and was running away in moto 1. Ha! Broc Hepler was chasing him down I believe, and so was Mike Brown on a yamaha. But about 20 mins into the moto a redhead was making his way to the front. Lap after lap RV was just nailing his lines and before you know it Alessi was looking back every few corners and watching RV's front tire get closer and closer after each passing lap.

Just after I had ran up the hill towards the old start the crowd roared as RV and Alessi were just about side by side over Henry's Hill. It's funny now when I think back on it, but some fans near me where explaining throughout the whole moto how Alessi used to spank Villapoto around in the amatuers. The guys said RV would never get around Alessi and up until that point I believed them. When both riders hit the turn coming back up the hill after Henry's it looked like Alessi tried to push RV wide coming into the corner near where I was standing. Even back then I felt like I was watching a changing of the guard or an kid finally standing up to a bully.

The videos don't do the moment justice, but I'm sure RV was smiling ear to ear as he lightly parked Alessi nearly 10 feet in front of me. It happened so fast and I can still remember the sound of locked brakes as RV dove inside of Mike before pouring on the throttle. From that moment on Alessi has never had RV's number and RV has become a beast. He went on to take his first championship that year and hasn't looked back since.

Just one of the great moments at Budds.....
|
FroDiddy
6/13/2012 9:05am
I raced from 1995-2000 and have been attending the nationals at Budds since 1994.

One of my favorite moments was in 94' when Fro debuted on the 250 at the USGP and scorched the field in moto 1. Everts and Albertyn were in a heated battle for the Championship, Emig comes up from the 125 class and waxes. It was great!

Also in 1996, I believe it was the 1st National where Beasley had the track run backwards, my brother and I were at the bottom of Big Gulp watching the 125 practice session as they rounded the bowl turn that used to be there. Man, those guys were railing that turn. Our ears were ringing by the time the session had finished. Steve Lamson had the loudest 125 I've ever heard. Mike Brown really grabbed my attention. I knew he'd be a title holder some day. RR and his flawless style as he wheelied up Chevy Trucks hill effortlessly over the rollers...

Good times.
tbanks
6/13/2012 10:18am
Other good moments at Budds where watching Kevin Crine and Tom Welch make the mains. Also how about Barry Carston (sp?) pulling a holey a few years back and leading after turn 1.

Also I remember being amazed at the Pro's hitting that little double after the old finish line near the scoring tower. I used to think that little double was impossible to clear when I was riding 80's. My father and I used to stand at the double on the opening lap and try to talk to one another over the roar and rumble of the bikes. It would put a smile on our faces feeling the ground vibrate and shake under all that horsepower.
pchak
6/13/2012 10:29am
I always just enjoy standing at the bottom of Big Gulp just in awe of the guys doing that jump lap after lap.
SMITH201
6/13/2012 11:15am Edited Date/Time 6/13/2012 11:16am
Moments stuck in my mind from all my years at Budds...

Henry's crash
JLaw, Grant, Dungey battle
Reed winning title
JLaw turning a few laps on amateur SX track during National
The monsoon rainstorm for the 250 moto
Jeff Ward tossing me his goggles after the final moto of his career
Bradshaw on the WR
MC's 1-1
RC's 100 wins
RC/James battle
James' last to 1st
Carten's holeshot
RV's domination at MXDN

Also when the races were on Sundays. I used to race Amateur day on Friday. One year Alessi, Walker and McFarlane raced with us. I remember how friggin fast they went past me in practice! Smile

The Shop

Switch
6/13/2012 11:35am
Seeing RC and Everts take a slow lap together at the '07 MXdN, then they stopped on top of the tunnel jump right in front of us. I remember thinking that was the end of an era.. and it was. That was an awesome day of racing.
ocscottie
6/13/2012 2:17pm
Switch wrote:
Seeing RC and Everts take a slow lap together at the '07 MXdN, then they stopped on top of the tunnel jump right in front of...
Seeing RC and Everts take a slow lap together at the '07 MXdN, then they stopped on top of the tunnel jump right in front of us. I remember thinking that was the end of an era.. and it was. That was an awesome day of racing.
That was an epic moment.

mxb2
6/13/2012 2:21pm
Switch wrote:
Seeing RC and Everts take a slow lap together at the '07 MXdN, then they stopped on top of the tunnel jump right in front of...
ocscottie wrote:
That was an epic moment. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2012/06/13/gm20_887245.JPG[/img]
That was an epic moment.

x2, i was there
Switch
6/13/2012 2:30pm
Switch wrote:
ocscottie wrote:
That was an epic moment. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2012/06/13/gm20_887245.JPG[/img]
That was an epic moment.

Thanks for the picture, Scottie. Awesome moment of moto history for those that saw it.
tbanks
6/13/2012 2:33pm Edited Date/Time 6/13/2012 2:34pm
X3 I was there as well....

Another awesome moment I caught at the des Nations happened after RC was coming through the pack in moto 1. He scrubbed the first of the back to back tables at the bottom and dove inside Cairoli. Then while he aired it out over the second table he turned around and gestured to Cairoli come and get me. (Or at least it looked that way Grinning ) I thought it was awesome....and the crowd went crazy at that moment chanting USA! USA! USA!
peelout
6/13/2012 2:36pm Edited Date/Time 6/13/2012 2:41pm
only been there once for the 2007 MXdN and it was epic beyond words.

the Ricky and Everts moment was awesome. i shook Evert's hand about 30 minutes after and have a picture with him somewhere.

one of the awesome moments for me was being in the tent and one of the Kawi (mfr?) guys lifting his shirt for Leticia Cline and her doing the same afterwards. great rack on that one.

also, we ran into Team Norway (or Finland, can't remember we were tossed) in DC and bought them a couple rounds of drinks, our Russian waitress was the finest girl i've seen in a long time.

but the best was that I got to go with my old man, if if weren't for him i never would have been in this sport. and i got to share the excitement of watching RV kick the entire worlds ass. bad.
Switch
6/13/2012 2:47pm
peelout wrote:
only been there once for the 2007 MXdN and it was epic beyond words. the Ricky and Everts moment was awesome. i shook Evert's hand about...
only been there once for the 2007 MXdN and it was epic beyond words.

the Ricky and Everts moment was awesome. i shook Evert's hand about 30 minutes after and have a picture with him somewhere.

one of the awesome moments for me was being in the tent and one of the Kawi (mfr?) guys lifting his shirt for Leticia Cline and her doing the same afterwards. great rack on that one.

also, we ran into Team Norway (or Finland, can't remember we were tossed) in DC and bought them a couple rounds of drinks, our Russian waitress was the finest girl i've seen in a long time.

but the best was that I got to go with my old man, if if weren't for him i never would have been in this sport. and i got to share the excitement of watching RV kick the entire worlds ass. bad.
Your last paragraph sums up that weekend for me. And it was the first time I took my wife (girlfriend at the time) to a race not knowing how it would go. Obviously didn't go too bad.
PRM31
6/13/2012 4:42pm
I'll be there! Only "epic" moment I've had there was the monsoon a couple of years ago!
Bigballer27
6/13/2012 6:28pm Edited Date/Time 6/13/2012 6:30pm
yea Md! the only track we have but it's a great one! have fun this weekend and be safe! Wish i could make it but headed to AC, NJ. Have Phun!!!!
larryloopout
6/13/2012 6:47pm Edited Date/Time 6/13/2012 6:48pm

Barry's holeshot. He still goes good
tbanks
6/13/2012 7:13pm
[img]http://cloud.impulsestudios.ca/racer-x-content/00000002452.jpg[/img] Barry's holeshot. He still goes good

Barry's holeshot. He still goes good
Yes he does...Dowdy too...

Here's hoping this week brings more awesome moments like these

Post a reply to: Budds Creek Moments

The Latest