|
ns503
5/13/2011 9:00am
"...reacted defianantly.."

Sounds painful.

Or itchy.....
SL91
5/13/2011 9:02am
I can see his point of view. It IS the UNITED STATES GP afterall. But at the same time, the racers are getting ready for their own series, which is more important for them, so I see their side, as well.
500guy
5/13/2011 9:03am
Yup he just continues the abusive relationship and wonders why only a few come participate.
5/13/2011 9:03am Edited Date/Time 5/13/2011 9:06am
I don't think the Racers think that but until they get paid to race they aren't. In years long ago the Racers used to race CMC series races and before that Florida series races but times have changed just like the bikes have. Now they have practice tracks, trainers, and practice bike mechanics,. If the factories really wanted to have them race they would write it into their contracts. And since he thinks they should race for free maybe he should make it a "FREE RACE" for the spectators?

The Shop

FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4231st
5/13/2011 9:03am
Bud went into it with his eyes wide open, he's got no complaints.
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4231st
5/13/2011 9:05am
I don't think the Racers think that but until they get paid to race they aren't. In years long ago the Racers used to race CMC...
I don't think the Racers think that but until they get paid to race they aren't. In years long ago the Racers used to race CMC series races and before that Florida series races but times have changed just like the bikes have. Now they have practice tracks, trainers, and practice bike mechanics,. If the factories really wanted to have them race they would write it into their contracts. And since he thinks they should race for free maybe he should make it a "FREE RACE" for the spectators?
They also have an SX and Outdoor season that is longer by several rounds. What were extra races then are weekend filled with points paying races now.
zookrider62!
Fantasy
719th
5/13/2011 9:05am
Imagine that, the promoter for an event that had almost no one show up is bummed.
DownSouth
5/13/2011 9:08am
Youthstream let Bud down by scheduling the race for this weekend. The race will never have top americans if they continue to schedule it in the 1 off week bewteen SX and MX.
Matt Wozney
5/13/2011 9:09am
When Budds Creek or Unadilla had a GP, wasn't it after the Amercian outdoor series finished up? I'm trying to remember.
DNietsche
5/13/2011 9:09am Edited Date/Time 5/13/2011 9:15am
You are not going to get riders to show up by trying to call them out on how patriotic they are. It's a business, get over it. Besides that didn't work out to well for the Euros at Budds Creek a few years ago did it?

As soon as the US gets smoked a few times at the MXdN then you will see more US riders feeling like they need to defend something.
Torco1
5/13/2011 9:10am
Who are the assholes here? The racers that just got done racing a full SX series and have ONE week off before they jump right back into another long and brutal series. Or the people that are bashing them and are trying to shame them by saying they are letting the American fans down? Give me a break.
seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
5/13/2011 9:11am
Torco1 wrote:
Who are the assholes here? The racers that just got done racing a full SX series and have ONE week off before they jump right back...
Who are the assholes here? The racers that just got done racing a full SX series and have ONE week off before they jump right back into another long and brutal series. Or the people that are bashing them and are trying to shame them by saying they are letting the American fans down? Give me a break.
!!!!!
DownSouth
5/13/2011 9:14am
When Budds Creek or Unadilla had a GP, wasn't it after the Amercian outdoor series finished up? I'm trying to remember.
In the 80's the USGP's were usually somewhere near the middle of the outdoor nationals. Back then there were only 12 -13 rounds of SX so there were several more off weeks in the schedule.
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4231st
5/13/2011 9:14am
Youthstream doesn't give a crap about Bud, and Bud doesn't give a crap about Youthstream. It is a relationship of convenience that came about because GH and MXSports couldn't reach agreement. YS had a chance to cram its foot in the door and lept at it.

Given Cali weather, you wouldn't want to push the race date much later, so I am not sure what alternatives they have other than running it at the end of the season in the fall.
Sherwood
5/13/2011 9:18am
Did any of them even contact you ?

No, I haven't heard from any of them. It's like, they are saying "there's no money, I'm not going to play". But that's not what sport is about; it's about a legacy, building a legacy for the future, just like those guys back in the 70s and 80s did for these guys.

So basically they should make the promoter and everyone else a ton of money but not get anything in return? A trophy on the wall ain't going to pay the bills when you get hurt.
jamma10
5/13/2011 9:18am Edited Date/Time 5/13/2011 9:20am
Youthstream doesn't give a crap about Bud, and Bud doesn't give a crap about Youthstream. It is a relationship of convenience that came about because GH...
Youthstream doesn't give a crap about Bud, and Bud doesn't give a crap about Youthstream. It is a relationship of convenience that came about because GH and MXSports couldn't reach agreement. YS had a chance to cram its foot in the door and lept at it.

Given Cali weather, you wouldn't want to push the race date much later, so I am not sure what alternatives they have other than running it at the end of the season in the fall.
Which realistically isn't an option. It would interfere with the MXdN and having both events so close together would reduce the magic of the MXdN, not to mention the Brazil GP would also have to be rearranged.

How about MXsports pushing the Nationals back a week or two to give riders a longer break and making the option of racing the GP more appealing?
Sunhouse
5/13/2011 9:21am
I don't think the Racers think that but until they get paid to race they aren't. In years long ago the Racers used to race CMC...
Race for free? Aren`t these guys paid houndreds of thousands by billion dollar industrial giants like Yamaha, Honda etc? They are racing, but definitely not for free.
Sondy132001
5/13/2011 9:21am
They also have an SX and Outdoor season that is longer by several rounds. What were extra races then are weekend filled with points paying races...
They also have an SX and Outdoor season that is longer by several rounds. What were extra races then are weekend filled with points paying races now.
Michael do you know how many helicopters flew into CMC GSN's during the 80's, a whole bunch. Our series was during the SX season, Teams would fly their riders in by helicopter or even private planes (local airports) to race the GSN, or have motorhomes and drive them all night to get up to Northern California. That was DURING the SX season.

S
jamma10
5/13/2011 9:22am
Sherwood wrote:
Did any of them even contact you ? No, I haven't heard from any of them. It's like, they are saying "there's no money, I'm not...
Did any of them even contact you ?

No, I haven't heard from any of them. It's like, they are saying "there's no money, I'm not going to play". But that's not what sport is about; it's about a legacy, building a legacy for the future, just like those guys back in the 70s and 80s did for these guys.

So basically they should make the promoter and everyone else a ton of money but not get anything in return? A trophy on the wall ain't going to pay the bills when you get hurt.
The few million they already have sitting in the bank or invested in property might though. They could get injured practicing at Pala, during qualifying at Hangtown, Motocross is a dangerous sport full stop.
APLMAN99
5/13/2011 9:30am
Trying to invoke some sort of patriotic guilt just so you can make some money is about the lowest of the low.

However, reading the article I think the interviewer probably took a few liberties with the quotes. I could be wrong, but there are a few things that sound much more "English" in Feldkamp's responses than "American". Paraphrasing perhaps?
Mstock
5/13/2011 9:35am
If a F1 World Championship round was held in the US would everyone expect the Nascar guys to participate for free just because it was in the US?
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4231st
5/13/2011 9:36am
The one in Budds in 99 was after the season ended.

USGP's ran in the US pretty regularly until 94 in the 250 class, until 92 in the 500 class, and I think until 87 in the 125 class. Back then, the different classes ran separate series at different venues. The same was true in the US for the most part early on. The all classes on the same day at the same venue every round came later in the gps than in the nationals.

If you look back at the series in the 80's, there were 10 to maybe 14 SX races a year and usually 10 nationals, and those for a period were split between 250 and 500 class. There were a lot of weekends off. Now there are 12 nationals and 17 SX races consistently.

I don't remember a lot of off season tune up races after the late 80's, in fact after Bailey's accident. There used to be that pre SX race at Perris or somewhere before the World SX thing started running in December after the JamSport fiasco and the FIM coming in, and with the outdoors the tune up at GH, but it wasn't like all the big names were there.

The off season races in Japan and Europe usually pay huge start money
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4231st
5/13/2011 9:38am
They also have an SX and Outdoor season that is longer by several rounds. What were extra races then are weekend filled with points paying races...
Michael do you know how many helicopters flew into CMC GSN's during the 80's, a whole bunch. Our series was during the SX season, Teams would...
Michael do you know how many helicopters flew into CMC GSN's during the 80's, a whole bunch. Our series was during the SX season, Teams would fly their riders in by helicopter or even private planes (local airports) to race the GSN, or have motorhomes and drive them all night to get up to Northern California. That was DURING the SX season.

S
Sondra, read my post above. That was a different era, there were fewer rounds and the outdoors and sx races were intermingled.

Other than Easter, are there even any weekends off with 17 SX races starting in January now?
jamma10
5/13/2011 9:43am
APLMAN99 wrote:
Trying to invoke some sort of patriotic guilt just so you can make some money is about the lowest of the low. However, reading the article...
Trying to invoke some sort of patriotic guilt just so you can make some money is about the lowest of the low.

However, reading the article I think the interviewer probably took a few liberties with the quotes. I could be wrong, but there are a few things that sound much more "English" in Feldkamp's responses than "American". Paraphrasing perhaps?
That particular journalist is very biased.
jamma10
5/13/2011 9:46am Edited Date/Time 5/13/2011 9:54am
Mstock wrote:
If a F1 World Championship round was held in the US would everyone expect the Nascar guys to participate for free just because it was in...
If a F1 World Championship round was held in the US would everyone expect the Nascar guys to participate for free just because it was in the US?
They shelved the F1 in America for similar reasons. No one could be bothered to show up. Actually thats not fair, alot of fans did show up initially. Nascar drivers can hardly jump into an F1 car though, Indycar drivers maybe.
Barrett57
5/13/2011 9:50am
Mstock wrote:
If a F1 World Championship round was held in the US would everyone expect the Nascar guys to participate for free just because it was in...
even if they got a free invite they wouldnt show, F1 has things called "corners" Wink
Madmax31
Fantasy
91st
5/13/2011 9:52am
Bottom line...American riders are spoiled pu$$ies with no pride. None of them are in it for the love of the sport appartently.
APLMAN99
5/13/2011 9:53am
Mstock wrote:
jamma10 wrote:
They shelved the F1 in America for similar reasons. No one could be bothered to show up. Actually thats not fair, alot of fans did show...
They shelved the F1 in America for similar reasons. No one could be bothered to show up. Actually thats not fair, alot of fans did show up initially. Nascar drivers can hardly jump into an F1 car though, Indycar drivers maybe.
The inaugural Indy F1 race set a record for F1 attendance.......

The tire fiasco made people a bit dubious about the whole thing more than anything else.
jamma10
5/13/2011 9:55am
yeah I just went back and editied my post. It was hugely popular to begin with.
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4231st
5/13/2011 9:56am
Madmax31 wrote:
Bottom line...American riders are spoiled pu$$ies with no pride. None of them are in it for the love of the sport appartently.
What a crock of shit. YS is in it for money. Feldcamp is in it for money. The riders, at great risk to themselves and their current contractual obligations, are supposed to create the only value of the show without compensation?

Post a reply to: Bud Feldcamp says "They're letting down America"

The Latest