Bud Feldcamp breaks silence about the nationals

motokid40
Edited Date/Time 9/28/2012 10:03am
|
Regis
Fantasy
340th
9/25/2012 2:25pm Edited Date/Time 9/25/2012 2:44pm
So, didn't he just confirm what was already assumed? That Glen helen wasn't offered a long term deal initialy and he didn't want to dump money into the event if he wasn't given the same contract as others?

The Shop

Regis
Fantasy
340th
9/25/2012 2:31pm Edited Date/Time 9/25/2012 2:37pm
Holigan wrote:
15 pages
Minimum,

Que the The Rock in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1..............
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
9/25/2012 2:31pm Edited Date/Time 9/25/2012 3:39pm
By reading Feldkamps point of view he makes it sound like DC stabbed the NPG in the back and stole it from the other promoters, Not saying it is bad business because business is cut throat but I would like to read both sides of it. And I do believe Glen Helen should be one of the National tracks.But it does sound like Feldkamp had a sense of entitlement in his demands.
KlootZak
9/25/2012 2:36pm
So it's DC fault we get a GPish track instead of the most evocative track ever?
rocrac
9/25/2012 2:45pm
Someone pass the popcorn.
DownSouth
9/25/2012 2:46pm
If all the other tracks in the NPG got undercut by a dirty deal why has no one other than Feldkamp talked about it? It seems there would have been other track owners raising hell if it went down like that.
englishman
9/25/2012 2:48pm
So I guess the GP's and the nationals aren't that different after all....
Xeno
9/25/2012 2:50pm
Talk about it now before the fights break out.
DC
9/25/2012 2:56pm Edited Date/Time 9/25/2012 2:58pm
He didn't confirm it all, Regis, and a lot of that is not even close to what really happened...

After they bought AMA Pro Racing, DMG chose to work with MX Sports directly rather than the NPG, not because of any bid or stab in the back but because they wanted one company to run the business of the nationals and turn the series around, which meant getting all of the sponsors, organizing a competitive television package, organizing the races and all of the other things that come with running a major motorsports series. The NPG was not set up to do any of that; MX Sports Pro Racing was. The work that we've done for the series since speaks to those important needs, in my opinion.

Mr. Feldkamp called me one day in the spring of 2010 with a list of demands -- five to be exact -- that he made to MX Sports before I opened my mouth. He said they were all "non-negotiable" and I guess they were, including using his own sponsor and merchandise coordinator rather the John Ayers, who is a vital asset to this entire series. Then he demanded a five-year-deal or he was done with the series. (Only three tracks had five-year deals -- Hangtown, RedBud, Unadilla -- because they had done all of the improvements requested in their previous contract.)

When Bud did not get the things he wanted, including the five-year deal, he canceled his race at the end of March 2010 (the extension would have gone through 2011) and left the series in a very tough spot, with a giant hole to fill in two months. We made it through that unfortunate crisis and have continued at other venues for three years now. No one has said anything even close to this and all of the tracks seem very happy with the work we've done to turn this thing around.

Now it appears Mr. Feldkamp wants to have a national again, and I believe that's a testament to what MX Sports has done with this series in the three years since Glen Helen gave up on us. He walked, we went to work.

Mr. Feldkamp and I discussed some of this in January, but what he told me he wanted was a combined GP and National that paid points for both. I told him that was an ambitious idea but I didn't think that was possible, given the conflict of sponsors, rulebooks, and what the OEMs and teams participating in the Lucas Oi AMA Pro Motocross Championships expect. Then he gave me some Ron Paul candy bars and walked me out.

DC
MX Sports
Xeno
9/25/2012 3:00pm
"...a combined GP and National that paid points for both."

That's the holy grail of motocross!
TeamGreen
9/25/2012 3:01pm Edited Date/Time 9/25/2012 3:20pm
Note: I'd posted this prior to seeing Davey's post...

Knowing DMG a bit more than the casual MX fan, I get the feeling they're not the kind of organization that would sell to another organization that owns a bunch of "venues"...They're THE "Racing Venue" Entity in the U.S. & they've had more than their fair share of deals w/ orginizations like NPG. Most all of which have NOT gone well.

Also, I get the feeling that the DMG/MX Sports deal was orchestrated with some specific "inputs" from the leadership at DMG. Very "Finite" inputs, too.

I'm not trying to sound "cryptic"...I'm just reflecting on DMGs core intentions and a little bit of the observations I made regarding some folks that were very involved in this...in the beginning.
Regis
Fantasy
340th
9/25/2012 3:07pm Edited Date/Time 9/25/2012 3:18pm
DC wrote:
He didn't confirm it all, Regis, and a lot of that is not even close to what really happened... After they bought AMA Pro Racing, DMG...
He didn't confirm it all, Regis, and a lot of that is not even close to what really happened...

After they bought AMA Pro Racing, DMG chose to work with MX Sports directly rather than the NPG, not because of any bid or stab in the back but because they wanted one company to run the business of the nationals and turn the series around, which meant getting all of the sponsors, organizing a competitive television package, organizing the races and all of the other things that come with running a major motorsports series. The NPG was not set up to do any of that; MX Sports Pro Racing was. The work that we've done for the series since speaks to those important needs, in my opinion.

Mr. Feldkamp called me one day in the spring of 2010 with a list of demands -- five to be exact -- that he made to MX Sports before I opened my mouth. He said they were all "non-negotiable" and I guess they were, including using his own sponsor and merchandise coordinator rather the John Ayers, who is a vital asset to this entire series. Then he demanded a five-year-deal or he was done with the series. (Only three tracks had five-year deals -- Hangtown, RedBud, Unadilla -- because they had done all of the improvements requested in their previous contract.)

When Bud did not get the things he wanted, including the five-year deal, he canceled his race at the end of March 2010 (the extension would have gone through 2011) and left the series in a very tough spot, with a giant hole to fill in two months. We made it through that unfortunate crisis and have continued at other venues for three years now. No one has said anything even close to this and all of the tracks seem very happy with the work we've done to turn this thing around.

Now it appears Mr. Feldkamp wants to have a national again, and I believe that's a testament to what MX Sports has done with this series in the three years since Glen Helen gave up on us. He walked, we went to work.

Mr. Feldkamp and I discussed some of this in January, but what he told me he wanted was a combined GP and National that paid points for both. I told him that was an ambitious idea but I didn't think that was possible, given the conflict of sponsors, rulebooks, and what the OEMs and teams participating in the Lucas Oi AMA Pro Motocross Championships expect. Then he gave me some Ron Paul candy bars and walked me out.

DC
MX Sports
I fixed my statement up above, probably as you were typing this response.

I was only trying to diffuse the know it alls I am sure we will here from here DC.

I rolled my eyes while reading this thread knowing we will hear from the usual suspects on the conspiracy theory train. Those that are armed with a keyboard and an audience.

As a past rider (25th - 40th) , all I know is.... That I have never felt the sport was in better hands than it is now. I am sure we will here from some key board warriors but, whatever. Thank you for what you do, put up with and have made happen. Much respect.

Regis.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
9/25/2012 3:09pm
DownSouth wrote:
If all the other tracks in the NPG got undercut by a dirty deal why has no one other than Feldkamp talked about it? It seems...
If all the other tracks in the NPG got undercut by a dirty deal why has no one other than Feldkamp talked about it? It seems there would have been other track owners raising hell if it went down like that.
The other tracks are all running nationals under MX sports and I they all may be happy with how it has all played out.
JOHN CHOATE
9/25/2012 3:09pm
DC wrote:
He didn't confirm it all, Regis, and a lot of that is not even close to what really happened... After they bought AMA Pro Racing, DMG...

DC
MX Sports
It's nice to see you respond to this, DC. I, for one, appreciate hearing your side.
jasonv43
9/25/2012 3:16pm
If we lose the MXON this weekend in the sand who do we blame? The teams, riders, or fans???

"The USGP wasn’t a success and Glen Helen moved on. I should note that if the race had been supported by the teams, riders and fans, we’d be holding the Motocross des Nations at Glen Helen this weekend."
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
9/25/2012 3:18pm Edited Date/Time 9/25/2012 3:24pm
That would be about the only way I envision of getting all the top U.S. riders on the track at the same time as all the top Europeans.

Do I think it's likely to ever happen? Nope. Imagine the non-qualifiers on each side. I don't think anyone would be happy about it.

I do think Guiseppe would be all over it, though. I went to a race on Holland a few years ago, and the Youthstream gang proposed a race that (as I remember it) would have featured top U.S. riders and top GP riders, along with some amateurs on five different tracks over a number of days.

It was thinking big, but at the same time, my impression of it was, "There's no chance at all of this happening."
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
9/25/2012 3:18pm Edited Date/Time 9/25/2012 3:21pm
DC wrote:

DC
MX Sports
I have met and talked with John Ayers several times when getting the Lakewood national track ready and he is a up front guy and has a great deal going on with the Shirts etc. I know one thing the riders want to do is sell their own shirts at the races but it always get shot down, is there a way to do both so the riders and the NPG could profit with shirt sales?

As far as Glen Helen goes you guys all need to sit down and if necessary both side should swallow some pride and work out a deal for Glen Helen to have a national. I know business is business but MX loses when Glen Helen is not hosting a national.

When the sale came up maybe DC was working with the NPG and they liked MX sports getting the deal, I dont know but it has worked out pretty good except for the GH national.
Switch
9/25/2012 3:19pm
And how many other tracks have lost their national since MX Sports took over? How many have spoken to the media negatively about MX Sports running the show? Sour grapes by a guy that tried to play hard ball and lost.

I would have liked to have seen the USPG work out, but thats the way it goes. There isn't enough interest in the GP series in this country to keep it alive. If there was a round that included both series, I would say you could have a real money maker, but as DC said, that probably will never happen until both series are run by the same rules.

I still get a good laugh from the chest pounding "bring back Glen Helen if you want real motocross" vitards. The rest of the country got over it, it might be time for you to.
jasonv43
9/25/2012 3:20pm
DC wrote:

DC
MX Sports
Regis wrote:
I fixed my statement up above, probably as you were typing this response. I was only trying to diffuse the know it alls I am sure...
I fixed my statement up above, probably as you were typing this response.

I was only trying to diffuse the know it alls I am sure we will here from here DC.

I rolled my eyes while reading this thread knowing we will hear from the usual suspects on the conspiracy theory train. Those that are armed with a keyboard and an audience.

As a past rider (25th - 40th) , all I know is.... That I have never felt the sport was in better hands than it is now. I am sure we will here from some key board warriors but, whatever. Thank you for what you do, put up with and have made happen. Much respect.

Regis.
Same goes for me too. Thanks for everything you do and continue to do. The series is in a better place with you at the helm.
Mr. Info
9/25/2012 3:23pm
Hey DC man up and call him a liar like you did me. He stated the same things I said. If you think the truth is only in your words then you have something to learn from the people you think stand behind you. He said everything I said and more and I was a liar step up to the plate and call him that. This just lets people see MX Sports and YouthSteam are trying to captian the same ship. Which one will be the last to leave when it sinks?
Mr. Ted
Fantasy
1623rd
9/25/2012 3:25pm
Will we see DC chiming in?
Law 131
9/25/2012 3:31pm
I've got no dog in this fight.

I do have questions.

What was the structure of the NPG? LLC, Partnership or Corporation?
What Coombs family member(s), according to Feldcamp, acted as the representative at the DMG offering?

What Coombs family member represented MX Sports at the DMG offering? What is the structure of the MX Sports group?
mccread
9/25/2012 3:37pm
MXA are doing a great job this week....
moto282
9/25/2012 3:37pm
It's a bummer it couldn't be worked out. Just a shame... I get why it's not, but just a shame.

Does Elsinore have a long term deal? Or only two years like Pala? When could Glen Helen get back on the schedule if everything was worked out? 2014?
TeamGreen
9/25/2012 3:41pm
Law 131 wrote:
I've got no dog in this fight. I do have questions. What was the structure of the NPG? LLC, Partnership or Corporation? What Coombs family member(s)...
I've got no dog in this fight.

I do have questions.

What was the structure of the NPG? LLC, Partnership or Corporation?
What Coombs family member(s), according to Feldcamp, acted as the representative at the DMG offering?

What Coombs family member represented MX Sports at the DMG offering? What is the structure of the MX Sports group?
I was once told by a coupl'a other "members" of NPG that it was pretty much "just a club"...

Furthermore, can someone tell us how many of the Track Owners/Which Owners truly participated & made legitimate contributions to the "Group" & the series...?

About T-shirts: I've never been told we couldn't sell'em. INFACT: Anyone can as a Vendor.

Post a reply to: Bud Feldcamp breaks silence about the nationals

The Latest