Brooks is back...

Law 131
8/28/2010 5:32am
hammertime wrote:
what the fuck?? have you noticed that his team is the joke of mx right now,,,,and whenever he posts it just takes the team even further...
what the fuck??

have you noticed that his team is the joke of mx right now,,,,and whenever he posts it just takes the team even further into the ghetto??

san manuel is the laughing fodder of all that is pro mx right now.
I have written that I disagree with the way the team handled the MXoN issue.
Advancing the notion that someone "lied" to Stewart and the Team could be a death sentence if they weren't "who they are".

That tolerance by the real power behind MX is going to fade quickly if they don't replenish the bank with more wins. Wins are the currency of the MX realm. I get that.

There is no doubt in my mind that Brooks was pissed off and grinding his teeth as Stewart let out the "lied to" idea. If he supported the "lied to" thing, he's got to be thinking he screwed up.

My thoughts about the future of this team remain valid if one and only one thing remains.

They must not quit.

flarider
8/28/2010 5:37am
I don't know why LB even bothered.

People are going to shit on him and just be dicks in general to him and then go back to their buddies, crack a beer, flop onto the couch and tell them how he "Gave Larry Brooks a piece of his mind and called him an hippo fucker" and everyone will get a laugh and then grab another beer after pulling their pants up over their belly.

This is why industry people keep their mouth shut, read this shit and laugh at most all of you behind your backs, because you pretend to know everything when in fact you don't know jackshit.

The James Stewart thing is a perfect example. No rider ever discloses the true extent of their injuries for any number of reasons, but people on here just make shit up by pulling it out of their ass about James. James tried to race and it didn't work out, but he did try.

Fact is, a vast majority of you don't know jack shit about what is really going on, so you make it up and then go on wild rants and make crazy accusations, all baseless of course.

This is why riders and industry people (who do read it) laugh at you.

I don't blame them
FastEddy
Fantasy
890th
8/28/2010 7:25am
flarider wrote:
I don't know why LB even bothered. People are going to shit on him and just be dicks in general to him and then go back...

People are going to shit on him and just be dicks in general to him and then go back to their buddies, crack a beer, flop onto the couch and tell them how he "Gave Larry Brooks a piece of his mind and called him an hippo fucker" and everyone will get a laugh and then grab another beer after pulling their pants up over their belly.

This is why industry people keep their mouth shut, read this shit and laugh at most all of you behind your backs, because you pretend to know everything when in fact you don't know jackshit.

The James Stewart thing is a perfect example. No rider ever discloses the true extent of their injuries for any number of reasons, but people on here just make shit up by pulling it out of their ass about James. James tried to race and it didn't work out, but he did try.

Fact is, a vast majority of you don't know jack shit about what is really going on, so you make it up and then go on wild rants and make crazy accusations, all baseless of course.

I don't blame them
Great post Dave!
Couldn't agree more with every word you said!

jaeckle
8/28/2010 7:52am
Thank you Larry Brooks. I enjoy the team manager insight. Best of luck in 2011.

The Shop

FastEddy
Fantasy
890th
8/28/2010 8:23am
LB wrote:
I have been very fortunate to work with some really good riders since hanging up my boots and working from the other side of the sport...
I have been very fortunate to work with some really good riders since hanging up my boots and working from the other side of the sport as a manager. I've been able to win many Championships, those were some hard fought and great moments in my life. For people that think, just because you're the manager of good rider's Championships come easily, well let me just say you haven't done my job so how in the hell would you know. I guess I should take the comment "that your Grandma could have done that" as a complement, because if I made it look easy then I did a good job. Not one of those Championships came easy and there always another rider or two right there trying to take points away every weekend. Strategy, motivation and bike set-up are key words in a race team managers life. I live motorcycle racing every second of my life, because I love it so much. If you comment that "my job is easy", then you must be one of those guys that sit in the stands at a Supercross and tell all the people around you how you could do that and that that whoop section is easy. Because it's exactly the same.

Then there are people that bag on me because of things I have said, on TV and/or in person. But again, you have no idea why I said what I said. Let me just tell you this, there are many things that go on behind seine that the race fan don't know about, you never hear about and you never will. So when you hear someone say something that you might not agree with, you think why did that guy say that, what a jerk or something might not make since to you while you're watching the television broadcast in you're living room, most likely there were things that went on that you weren't privilege to hear about or know about. But I will say this, I'm not going to let anybody say things about me or my team that isn't true or if they're trying to verbally attack us behind closed doors in the political part of the sport. Actually, protecting my team is part of my job too, when it comes down to reading the fine print.

I'm in no way trying to hurt the sport, it's actually the opposite. I do everything in my power to help the sport and improve it if and when I can. Just because you don't agree with my team doing Supercross only, all I can say is that it's your opinion and everyone has one, just like another part of your anatomy that dumps sewage out of your body. So when someone vocal about their opinion of a rider doing Supercross only their most likely selfish because they don't get to see their favorite rider racing outdoors, living in the past and thinking team's have done SX and MX for years so every team has to race both series or your just looking for something to complain about.

Now to speak about Josh Hill. Yes, Josh is still on Team San Manuel and yes, Josh did do a great job for the team this year. He's actually a really good kid, fun to be around, happy all the time and a dam good rider. His contract runs out next month or so, but at this time he is still on the team. Most people don't know this, but Josh was hurt much worst then has been publicized. At this point, Josh won't be riding a motorcycle anytime soon. He was trying to do something that he thought was going to very cool and that was doing a backflip on a 75 foot jump and let me tell you, I saw the video of the crash and it was bad. Anyway, the best thing to do if your reading this is to say a prayer for him. Pray that he gets back on his feet again and that he'll be able to ride a motorcycle again after this is all over with. I'm not in a position to discuss what's going with his injuries, but trust me I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy and his injury has hit really close to home with me. Just pray for him.

To finish this up, lostboy819 must have been at the Colorado National in 1987. That was a fun race and those were great times. I was sending it into that down hill turn (the next turn after where the 1st turn is today on that same track) and I was passing a guy a lap there. Just that one lap where I hit that braking bump and it sent me over the bars. My open face helmet didn't offer too much protection and it broke my nose. Dang it! But I did get up and pass my way back up toward the front, good enough for 2nd overall that day and that made all the pain worth it, to me.
I would have to say the Colorado track is much better these days. Do you remember how hard packed and dusty it use to be? Now that's the way some tracks were back then and we were just happy to be racing. I would have to guess riders won't even line up at the start gate if the track conditions were like that these days. But then, we were just happy to be racing.

I hope I was able to answer a few of your questions and shed some light on some comments. But as usual, some people will be cool and others are going to bash me and call me names. I guess that's the way it is. Oh and by the way, LB is short for Larry Brooks, not some shady internet name. I'm sure you'll be able to figure out who I am.
Larry, I think what you are doing with the SX only team is pretty cool.
You give the riders a chance to still be in the game with good salaries/contracts and yet they
still are able to get some time off to enjoy their lives, family's,friends and other things in life.
You only live once and there is alot more to life then just working 24/7 365 days a year. Smile

What are yours and James plans for the off season?
Are you guys planning on hitting up any of the Euro events like Bercy maybe the Italian SX ?

Anyway,best of luck to you guys!
8/28/2010 8:33am
Larry,

I do think you're a great team manager , Championships don't come easy and take a complete team effort.

I've never posted anything negative about you or your team and I'm only posting this so you can get my view.

I appreciate a team manager posting on here giving us a little insight into what you are thinking, but there was one post that rubbed me the wrong way.

A few years ago after Reed ran an outdoor national and wasn't in the top 3, you basically came on here and had numbers on how little exposure your team got on TV. You weren't in the Championship hunt and you weren't in the top three for the race but you almost seemed mad and that doing a national was a waste.

It made it seem that like you were are all about exposure, and as a team manager that is probably what you should be about and I think that you were just trying to share your point of view, but as a fan that spends thousands of mine own dollars a year on riding and going to races it just made you sound selfish.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?
I wouldn't expect anyone to make a bad business decision but if you love Motocross as you say then wouldn't you want to help build it up? Great racing adds excitement, excitement adds fans and exposure for your sponsors.

IMO If L&M raced all the nationals then the sport would grow and the fact that they don't makes me not like your team.

I am interested in your views on this.
txmxer
8/28/2010 8:35am
flarider wrote:
I don't know why LB even bothered. People are going to shit on him and just be dicks in general to him and then go back...

I don't blame them
I like to EFF with that engine ice dude. Me and my buds are always laughing about that...

Wink

Although I don't like SX only as a fan, it's their business. I also have read/heard things Larry has said that I didn't agree with and I was pretty vocal after the Reed deal and some of his MXA articles.

All that said, I posted a question on here about the new Stewart contract--was it SX only? Larry DID PM me with an answer. I didn't post it on here because I didn't want to be part of the rumor mill. Whether I like or agree with his public actions or words, I gained a bit of respect for him for what he said in the short message. He didn't have to do that, but did.

He also didn't have to write that long post in this thread. Agree or disagree, I think he gave a pretty straight forward response and deserves credit for that.
DanDunes818
8/28/2010 8:37am
You guys act like LB turned Reedy and MC into Champions.. Come on guys.. My grandma could of won titles with those two riders. When LB...
You guys act like LB turned Reedy and MC into Champions.. Come on guys.. My grandma could of won titles with those two riders. When LB stops doing everything in his power to take the best riders away from the starting line of the outdoor nationals I may change my tune but until that happens he's a virus IMO.
RMZ819 wrote:
You are 100% correct Dan. Brooks has swung off the balls of the fastest riders to date. He has done nothing IMO. MC and Reed won...
You are 100% correct Dan. Brooks has swung off the balls of the fastest riders to date. He has done nothing IMO. MC and Reed won there titles pre Brooks. Stewart was the man pre Brooks.

When Brooks takes a young up and coming rider and makes him a Champ then he should be considered a great team manager but until then he is just a douchbag who is nothing but bad for this sport.

Hell has officially frozen over and I may have to kill myself. I posted a while back if RMZ819 ever agree on anything I will just throw myself off a large bridge. I'm either going to have to re-think my stance on LB (that won't happen) or find a large bridge to hurl myself off. Hmmm. I guess large is relative. Maybe I can find a nice 40 ft bridge w/30 ft of water to land in.

Wink
RMZ819
8/28/2010 9:03am
You guys act like LB turned Reedy and MC into Champions.. Come on guys.. My grandma could of won titles with those two riders. When LB...
You guys act like LB turned Reedy and MC into Champions.. Come on guys.. My grandma could of won titles with those two riders. When LB stops doing everything in his power to take the best riders away from the starting line of the outdoor nationals I may change my tune but until that happens he's a virus IMO.
RMZ819 wrote:
You are 100% correct Dan. Brooks has swung off the balls of the fastest riders to date. He has done nothing IMO. MC and Reed won...
You are 100% correct Dan. Brooks has swung off the balls of the fastest riders to date. He has done nothing IMO. MC and Reed won there titles pre Brooks. Stewart was the man pre Brooks.

When Brooks takes a young up and coming rider and makes him a Champ then he should be considered a great team manager but until then he is just a douchbag who is nothing but bad for this sport.

Hell has officially frozen over and I may have to kill myself. I posted a while back if RMZ819 ever agree on anything I will just...
Hell has officially frozen over and I may have to kill myself. I posted a while back if RMZ819 ever agree on anything I will just throw myself off a large bridge. I'm either going to have to re-think my stance on LB (that won't happen) or find a large bridge to hurl myself off. Hmmm. I guess large is relative. Maybe I can find a nice 40 ft bridge w/30 ft of water to land in.

Wink
LOL DizzyWoohoo I will try not to make a habbit of this Dan.
jeffro503
8/28/2010 9:13am Edited Date/Time 8/28/2010 9:14am
flarider wrote:

I don't blame them
Jesus Christ Dave..........There is no way possible i could have said that any better myself. I agree 100% !

One other thing that people tend to forget on the "SX only" thing........Stewart knew exactly what kind of contract he was signing........he just resigned it!

Brooks helps put that contract together yes........But James is the one who signs on the dotted line........Not Larry!

SURE.....i'm bummed and even a little pissed off James isn't doing the out doors.....BUT , it's his fucking life......HE IS the one making the decision to not race out doors!

Why some of you slam on LB like it's 100% his fault.....I don't understand.
Outsider
8/28/2010 9:26am
flarider wrote:

I don't blame them
This post is full of stereotypes and generalizations on both sides of the issue, IMO.

People make up their minds based on the information that is put out there, whatever the source. I read LB's post, as well as his posts going back to MT, and as a result, don't find him to be a completely reliable source of information. There has always been an obvious percentage of b.s. in his "explanations", again IMO.

I too, am tired of people beating down James, and tried to be very positive about his return to racing. I don't know if it's his injury or what that caused him to decide against the remaining nationals, it's his(their) decision, so be it.

I feel that saying something like, "hey, my wrist isn't there yet" or whatever, would garner more respect and sympathy, than yet another PR (BS) statement.

You said Industry people laugh at us... nice, biting the hand that feeds you is never a good idea. Sure, there are some real ignorant folks out there (here), but, why slam "the vast majority of us" ?

How about a little respect going both ways huh? The one thing that's really bothered me about this sport is the superiority complex some people get because they stand on a different side of a chain link fence at the race track.

]end rant
petegrath
8/28/2010 9:29am
I will say I'm a bit confused.

Big fan of James' and Larry as well. But didn't James tell DC that he planned on racing the Nats and Supercross for the next five years?

Damn I can't keep up. Has something changed again?
flarider
8/28/2010 9:35am
Outsider wrote:
This post is full of stereotypes and generalizations on both sides of the issue, IMO. People make up their minds based on the information that is...
This post is full of stereotypes and generalizations on both sides of the issue, IMO.

People make up their minds based on the information that is put out there, whatever the source. I read LB's post, as well as his posts going back to MT, and as a result, don't find him to be a completely reliable source of information. There has always been an obvious percentage of b.s. in his "explanations", again IMO.

I too, am tired of people beating down James, and tried to be very positive about his return to racing. I don't know if it's his injury or what that caused him to decide against the remaining nationals, it's his(their) decision, so be it.

I feel that saying something like, "hey, my wrist isn't there yet" or whatever, would garner more respect and sympathy, than yet another PR (BS) statement.

You said Industry people laugh at us... nice, biting the hand that feeds you is never a good idea. Sure, there are some real ignorant folks out there (here), but, why slam "the vast majority of us" ?

How about a little respect going both ways huh? The one thing that's really bothered me about this sport is the superiority complex some people get because they stand on a different side of a chain link fence at the race track.

]end rant
Because every time industry folks do post here, they get trashed.

For some unexplainable reason, far too many people seem to get their rocks off on shitting on anyone in the industry who posts.
Only a few put up with it and eventually are left alone, like JT$ and DV12

People do get told the truth, but they don't like that version of the truth so they make up their own "truth" and go about shitting on people with it.

People need to learn to say "in my opinion' or "maybe" or "it could be possible" rather than making shit up and passing it off as fact.

That is why people on forums are laughed at
Overdrive
8/28/2010 9:35am Edited Date/Time 8/28/2010 9:38am
petegrath wrote:
I will say I'm a bit confused. Big fan of James' and Larry as well. But didn't James tell DC that he planned on racing the...
I will say I'm a bit confused.

Big fan of James' and Larry as well. But didn't James tell DC that he planned on racing the Nats and Supercross for the next five years?

Damn I can't keep up. Has something changed again?
Good point. Larry why does James go out and say things like this? I don't agree with SX only but atleast if you going to be SX only stop leading us on. Next year everyone will be looking to see James race the outdoors because he said he would.

Dave do you sponsor the team, or do they use your product......Just kidding......Take a joke. Smile
BobbyM
8/28/2010 9:35am
BobbyM wrote:
LB has been back Doc. he reads and laughs and shakes his head and laughs again at this shit too. You should meet and talk to...
LB has been back Doc. he reads and laughs and shakes his head and laughs again at this shit too. You should meet and talk to Larry at the track sometime, good guy and knows his shit...if I had a manager I'd want them to be like Larry, dude is WFO and full steam ahead imho.
Spinner wrote:
Hmmmm, explains all his different usernames then, huh?
what the hell does that have to do with what i posted? then again some guys can be dicks with only one user name...they try to "spin it" anyway they can...hehehehe

and if you weren't a nobody rather than a somebody in the sport you might have more than one too...think about it spin it
jeffro503
8/28/2010 9:38am
He ( James) did say that......BUT....he just signed that new 2 year deal with L&M.....which is SX only. Soooo.......it kind of shoots James theory to shit.
flarider
8/28/2010 9:38am
Overdrive wrote:
Good point. Larry why does James go out and say things like this? I don't agree with SX only but atleast if you going to be...
Good point. Larry why does James go out and say things like this? I don't agree with SX only but atleast if you going to be SX only stop leading us on. Next year everyone will be looking to see James race the outdoors because he said he would.

Dave do you sponsor the team, or do they use your product......Just kidding......Take a joke. Smile
No I do not and not that I am aware of

DAYKIN17
8/28/2010 9:47am
hammertime wrote:
brooks biggest mistake was dropping that powerhouse 87 cr125 for that piece of shit 88k pro circuit kx 125...and he knows it. that was a wasted...
brooks biggest mistake was dropping that powerhouse 87 cr125 for that piece of shit 88k pro circuit kx 125...and he knows it. that was a wasted season. people forget, back then, if you picked the wrong 125....you had no chance. i was a canadian nobody....but i'll never forget that at washougal national in 88...on my full pc 1honda 125...i smoked by larry and ronnie tichenor on his pile rm 125 at once on hp hill at washougal at the same time like they were painted on the fence. the yr before, larry on his cr125 was at the top of the nats.

george holland had the easiest championship in 88 of all time. kehoe was twice as fast as him and cooper....but those hondas were like 250's compared to poor erics piece of shit factory suzuki. parity didn't exist then in bikes!! kehoe got fucked...so did donny schmidt.
Oh be quiet and quit boasting about yourself as usual
pilotdude
8/28/2010 9:53am Edited Date/Time 8/28/2010 10:09am
"Supercross only" contracts are toxic to the survival of outdoor motocross, which is, of course, where everything starts.

Outdoor motocross is the source of everything. Kids do not ride in stadiums when they start, they ride outdoors. Without the foundation of outdoor motocross, THERE IS NO SUPERCROSS.

All people argue from their position. A pimp argues from the position that he's just running his prostitution business to fullfil a demand. Drug dealers argue the same. Larry Brooks' position is making money by signing top riders to "supercross only" contracts for his "team." That has been his position for a long, long time, which is why he argues from that position.

Like pimps and drug dealers, Larry Brooks is unconcerned with the effect his "business model" has on others. The fact that if all the top riders were "supercross only" the sport would dry up and die means nothing to him. He is concerned with increasing his profits, and will use whatever riders he can to acomplish that--just as a pimp uses whatever whores he can. And the prettier the whore, the bigger the profits for the pimp.

This is just the situation as I see it. Brooks has his position and his defenders, and that's fine.
BobbyM
8/28/2010 9:57am
pilotdude wrote:
"Supercross only" contracts are toxic to the survival of outdoor motocross, which is, of course, where everything starts. Outdoor motocross is the source of everything. Kids...
"Supercross only" contracts are toxic to the survival of outdoor motocross, which is, of course, where everything starts.

Outdoor motocross is the source of everything. Kids do not ride in stadiums when they start, they ride outdoors. Without the foundation of outdoor motocross, THERE IS NO SUPERCROSS.

All people argue from their position. A pimp argues from the position that he's just running his prostitution business to fullfil a demand. Drug dealers argue the same. Larry Brooks' position is making money by signing top riders to "supercross only" contracts for his "team." That has been his position for a long, long time, which is why he argues from that position.

Like pimps and drug dealers, Larry Brooks is unconcerned with the effect his "business model" has on others. The fact that if all the top riders were "supercross only" the sport would dry up and die means nothing to him. He is concerned with increasing his profits, and will use whatever riders he can to acomplish that--just as a pimp uses whatever whores he can. And the prettier the whore, the bigger the profits for the pimp.

This is just the situation as I see it. Brooks has his position and his defenders, and that's fine.
oh fucking brother
Grendel
8/28/2010 10:01am Edited Date/Time 8/28/2010 10:02am
flarider wrote:

I don't blame them
Brilliance.

Honestly, how would Brooks even begin with this issue anyhow? The moment he even responded to one person, the colossal pile-on would come out of the woodwork clamoring for their angry acknowledgment. He'd have to retire just to keep up.
jmar
8/28/2010 10:16am
BobbyM wrote:
LB has been back Doc. he reads and laughs and shakes his head and laughs again at this shit too. You should meet and talk to...
LB has been back Doc. he reads and laughs and shakes his head and laughs again at this shit too. You should meet and talk to Larry at the track sometime, good guy and knows his shit...if I had a manager I'd want them to be like Larry, dude is WFO and full steam ahead imho.
Bobby is spot on here.
jmar
8/28/2010 10:20am
flarider wrote:

I don't blame them
HOF right here.

The part about pulling their pants over their belly is priceless.
Outsider
8/28/2010 10:26am
Oh brother.... "case in point" ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
gsxrcr28
Fantasy
2452nd
8/28/2010 10:38am
flarider wrote:

I don't blame them
Excellent post Dave!
jmar
8/28/2010 11:04am
Outsider wrote:
This post is full of stereotypes and generalizations on both sides of the issue, IMO. People make up their minds based on the information that is...

]end rant
flarider wrote:
Because every time industry folks do post here, they get trashed. For some unexplainable reason, far too many people seem to get their rocks off on...
Because every time industry folks do post here, they get trashed.

For some unexplainable reason, far too many people seem to get their rocks off on shitting on anyone in the industry who posts.
Only a few put up with it and eventually are left alone, like JT$ and DV12

People do get told the truth, but they don't like that version of the truth so they make up their own "truth" and go about shitting on people with it.

People need to learn to say "in my opinion' or "maybe" or "it could be possible" rather than making shit up and passing it off as fact.

That is why people on forums are laughed at

Honestly Outsider,

People like you and I are a very small part of who pays for these large race budgets today.
yosmithy
8/28/2010 11:34am
Am I gonna have to get my "I Heart Larry Brooks" T-shirt out again???
FastEddy
Fantasy
890th
8/28/2010 11:56am
Grendel wrote:
Brilliance. Honestly, how would Brooks even begin with this issue anyhow? The moment he even responded to one person, the colossal pile-on would come out of...
Brilliance.

Honestly, how would Brooks even begin with this issue anyhow? The moment he even responded to one person, the colossal pile-on would come out of the woodwork clamoring for their angry acknowledgment. He'd have to retire just to keep up.
You need to start seriously riding the Brooks haters with some hardcore Grendelism board-stalking. Smile
gsxrcr28
Fantasy
2452nd
8/28/2010 12:11pm
flarider wrote:

I don't blame them
Outsider wrote:

]end rant

Sup Outsider,

I posted this same response in another thread that is in the dumgeon.

Maybe James wrist is still too jacked up to race two motos, and it might be for a long time. And the reason he will not admit is because, well that would be stupid for many reasons.
1. You don't ever want your future competition to know you have ANY weakness
2. The same idiots who criticize him all year will say it is just an excuse
3. Future sponsors may be unwilling to pay his desired salary if they think it is something that could possibly slow him down. That is just to name a few.

Maybe its true his fitness is not ready to ride safely.
It could be a lot of things.
Like Dave said we do not always know what all the facts are. And mostly it will be the same clueless people taking shots at him no matter what anyway.
Grendel
8/28/2010 8:47pm
Liking Tony Alessi and voting Obama has already brought my "pointless feud" count up into the double digits.

I will say that I've definitely warmed to LB and that his non-fans shouldn't gauge his character on his MXA contributions from a few years ago.

Post a reply to: Brooks is back...

The Latest