8/27/2010 1:28pm
Probably doesn't have much else to do.
P
8/27/2010 1:28pm
Tell him to holla at me.Wink

P
BobbyM
8/27/2010 1:33pm
LB has been back Doc. he reads and laughs and shakes his head and laughs again at this shit too. You should meet and talk to Larry at the track sometime, good guy and knows his shit...if I had a manager I'd want them to be like Larry, dude is WFO and full steam ahead imho.

The Shop

mooch
Fantasy
431st
8/27/2010 3:53pm Edited Date/Time 8/27/2010 3:54pm
BobbyM wrote:
LB has been back Doc. he reads and laughs and shakes his head and laughs again at this shit too. You should meet and talk to...
LB has been back Doc. he reads and laughs and shakes his head and laughs again at this shit too. You should meet and talk to Larry at the track sometime, good guy and knows his shit...if I had a manager I'd want them to be like Larry, dude is WFO and full steam ahead imho.
Guess if anyone would want to try to talk to LB he won't be at Southwyck as he said he'd be, or any other national either.

I might believe he's a good guy if his team had a PR person who knew what they were doing...that way I'd just get the good spin stuff on all things San Manuel. As it is though, I only see LB get himself into one jam after another and come out looking like a tool. Just ONE example...who else could repeatedly WHINE about DeCoster and Suzuki "crying" on a national tv broadcast ?
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
8/27/2010 4:01pm Edited Date/Time 8/27/2010 5:53pm
mooch wrote:
Guess if anyone would want to try to talk to LB he won't be at Southwyck as he said he'd be, or any other national either...
Guess if anyone would want to try to talk to LB he won't be at Southwyck as he said he'd be, or any other national either.

I might believe he's a good guy if his team had a PR person who knew what they were doing...that way I'd just get the good spin stuff on all things San Manuel. As it is though, I only see LB get himself into one jam after another and come out looking like a tool. Just ONE example...who else could repeatedly WHINE about DeCoster and Suzuki "crying" on a national tv broadcast ?
Brooks did a great job with McGrath and Reed so I would believe the problems are Stewart and not Brooks. I have no problem with Brooks standing up for his riders but Stewart need to get his act together.
8/27/2010 4:04pm
mooch wrote:
Guess if anyone would want to try to talk to LB he won't be at Southwyck as he said he'd be, or any other national either...

lostboy819 wrote:
Brooks did a great job with McGrath and Reed so I would believe the problems are Stewart and not Brooks. I have no problem with Brooks...
Brooks did a great job with McGrath and Reed so I would believe the problems are Stewart and not Brooks. I have no problem with Brooks standing up for his riders but Stewart need to get his act together.
he did good with alessi too...

good point. you might be on to something there.
mooch
Fantasy
431st
8/27/2010 4:06pm
Not sure how Stewie woulda forced LB to essentially call team Suzuki a bunch of crybabies on national TV? Classy stuff!

His world would be a lot better off if he avoided all interviews and mx forums.
mooch
Fantasy
431st
8/27/2010 4:08pm
LOL...I see he even managed to put his foot in his mouth while just trying to chat about the old days in the old school link above.
G Force
8/27/2010 4:09pm
Brooks has always worked with elite riders (save Team KTM), I am not convinced he's the manager y'all say he is.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
8/27/2010 6:02pm
He may not be the best PR guy but he has guts and guts is enough. I watched him fly down the hill at the lakewood national years ago and go deeper into the corner than anyone else and make a pass every lap and then a few laps from the end face plants in the same corner.

He gets up and finishes the race and comes riding off the track with blood and a smile on his face. With the plastic glasses and blood all over his face he looked like the motocross version of one of the Hanson Brothers from slapshot. He may not be the best PR guy but hes OK in my book and has more heart than his rider James Stewart.
racin mason
8/27/2010 6:45pm
Watch his crash at the coliseum.He's fast ,hes tough,and a moto head.He's allright in my book.
jeffro503
8/27/2010 6:57pm
I don't agree with the all "SX Only" type stuff , and not even sure if LB really has all that much say in it??

But for what it;'s worth......LB has been in the game a long time and knows what the hell he's doing.

I think alot of the stupid shit that comes out of the Stewart camp....is from Stewart....Not Larry.

And like someone mentioned above......he did just fine with MC and Reed when they were in his stable.

I think some people think "in their own minds".....that it makes them look cool to start an argument with an industry type person. Like.........."LOOK AT ME........look how cool I am!!

I aint pointing that remark at anyone in this thread.....just saying it's happened before in different threads.
Matthes
8/27/2010 8:29pm
G Force wrote:
Brooks has always worked with elite riders (save Team KTM), I am not convinced he's the manager y'all say he is.
Look at the guys that have followed him from team to team. Some of the best guys out there. I was on his team as well and the guy is one way, you're either on his team and he'll go to the wall for you or he wants to beat you.

He's very competitive and sometimes that gets the best of him but he's one of the best managers in the sport in my opinion. And ive been a few teams in my time.

You're as wrong about this as you are about your crappy flyers. Tongue
jaeckle
8/27/2010 9:28pm
It would be cool if Brooks posted his take on the Josh Hill situation. Is he still on the team?

Wish the best for Josh. He put in some great rides last year. Not my place to judge anyone elses decisions. Hope he heals up and can come back. SX or MX. The sport is better with Josh on the line.
Sandberm
8/27/2010 9:41pm
It'd be pretty funny if LB dropped in the Race Shop section and started giving bike setup tips for those that own YZF450's.

"Try going stiffer" sincerely Lar.
Spinner
8/27/2010 10:57pm
BobbyM wrote:
LB has been back Doc. he reads and laughs and shakes his head and laughs again at this shit too. You should meet and talk to...
Hmmmm, explains all his different usernames then, huh?
DanDunes818
8/28/2010 12:03am
You guys act like LB turned Reedy and MC into Champions.. Come on guys.. My grandma could of won titles with those two riders. When LB stops doing everything in his power to take the best riders away from the starting line of the outdoor nationals I may change my tune but until that happens he's a virus IMO.
DanDunes818
8/28/2010 12:05am
BobbyM wrote:
Spinner wrote:
Hmmmm, explains all his different usernames then, huh?
Only two that I know of. I think LB looped out allot when he raced.,.Hmmm ??
RMZ819
8/28/2010 2:53am Edited Date/Time 8/28/2010 2:55am
G Force wrote:
The guy is a 100% tool!!! IMHO.
RMZ819
8/28/2010 3:18am
Sandberm wrote:
It'd be pretty funny if LB dropped in the Race Shop section and started giving bike setup tips for those that own YZF450's. "Try going stiffer"...
It'd be pretty funny if LB dropped in the Race Shop section and started giving bike setup tips for those that own YZF450's.

"Try going stiffer" sincerely Lar.
Larry Brooks made the fastest rider on the planet into the fastest practice rider in the planet. Then the new fastest rider on the planet (Dungey) made the old fastest rider Quit.

I am not sure Brooks wants to sell that setup!!!! Shit like that needs to be kept in house.
hammertime
8/28/2010 3:19am
brooks biggest mistake was dropping that powerhouse 87 cr125 for that piece of shit 88k pro circuit kx 125...and he knows it. that was a wasted season. people forget, back then, if you picked the wrong 125....you had no chance. i was a canadian nobody....but i'll never forget that at washougal national in 88...on my full pc 1honda 125...i smoked by larry and ronnie tichenor on his pile rm 125 at once on hp hill at washougal at the same time like they were painted on the fence. the yr before, larry on his cr125 was at the top of the nats.

george holland had the easiest championship in 88 of all time. kehoe was twice as fast as him and cooper....but those hondas were like 250's compared to poor erics piece of shit factory suzuki. parity didn't exist then in bikes!! kehoe got fucked...so did donny schmidt.
LB
8/28/2010 3:25am
I have been very fortunate to work with some really good riders since hanging up my boots and working from the other side of the sport as a manager. I've been able to win many Championships, those were some hard fought and great moments in my life. For people that think, just because you're the manager of good rider's Championships come easily, well let me just say you haven't done my job so how in the hell would you know. I guess I should take the comment "that your Grandma could have done that" as a complement, because if I made it look easy then I did a good job. Not one of those Championships came easy and there always another rider or two right there trying to take points away every weekend. Strategy, motivation and bike set-up are key words in a race team managers life. I live motorcycle racing every second of my life, because I love it so much. If you comment that "my job is easy", then you must be one of those guys that sit in the stands at a Supercross and tell all the people around you how you could do that and that that whoop section is easy. Because it's exactly the same.

Then there are people that bag on me because of things I have said, on TV and/or in person. But again, you have no idea why I said what I said. Let me just tell you this, there are many things that go on behind seine that the race fan don't know about, you never hear about and you never will. So when you hear someone say something that you might not agree with, you think why did that guy say that, what a jerk or something might not make since to you while you're watching the television broadcast in you're living room, most likely there were things that went on that you weren't privilege to hear about or know about. But I will say this, I'm not going to let anybody say things about me or my team that isn't true or if they're trying to verbally attack us behind closed doors in the political part of the sport. Actually, protecting my team is part of my job too, when it comes down to reading the fine print.

I'm in no way trying to hurt the sport, it's actually the opposite. I do everything in my power to help the sport and improve it if and when I can. Just because you don't agree with my team doing Supercross only, all I can say is that it's your opinion and everyone has one, just like another part of your anatomy that dumps sewage out of your body. So when someone vocal about their opinion of a rider doing Supercross only their most likely selfish because they don't get to see their favorite rider racing outdoors, living in the past and thinking team's have done SX and MX for years so every team has to race both series or your just looking for something to complain about.

Now to speak about Josh Hill. Yes, Josh is still on Team San Manuel and yes, Josh did do a great job for the team this year. He's actually a really good kid, fun to be around, happy all the time and a dam good rider. His contract runs out next month or so, but at this time he is still on the team. Most people don't know this, but Josh was hurt much worst then has been publicized. At this point, Josh won't be riding a motorcycle anytime soon. He was trying to do something that he thought was going to very cool and that was doing a backflip on a 75 foot jump and let me tell you, I saw the video of the crash and it was bad. Anyway, the best thing to do if your reading this is to say a prayer for him. Pray that he gets back on his feet again and that he'll be able to ride a motorcycle again after this is all over with. I'm not in a position to discuss what's going with his injuries, but trust me I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy and his injury has hit really close to home with me. Just pray for him.

To finish this up, lostboy819 must have been at the Colorado National in 1987. That was a fun race and those were great times. I was sending it into that down hill turn (the next turn after where the 1st turn is today on that same track) and I was passing a guy a lap there. Just that one lap where I hit that braking bump and it sent me over the bars. My open face helmet didn't offer too much protection and it broke my nose. Dang it! But I did get up and pass my way back up toward the front, good enough for 2nd overall that day and that made all the pain worth it, to me.
I would have to say the Colorado track is much better these days. Do you remember how hard packed and dusty it use to be? Now that's the way some tracks were back then and we were just happy to be racing. I would have to guess riders won't even line up at the start gate if the track conditions were like that these days. But then, we were just happy to be racing.

I hope I was able to answer a few of your questions and shed some light on some comments. But as usual, some people will be cool and others are going to bash me and call me names. I guess that's the way it is. Oh and by the way, LB is short for Larry Brooks, not some shady internet name. I'm sure you'll be able to figure out who I am.
RMZ819
8/28/2010 3:29am
You guys act like LB turned Reedy and MC into Champions.. Come on guys.. My grandma could of won titles with those two riders. When LB...
You guys act like LB turned Reedy and MC into Champions.. Come on guys.. My grandma could of won titles with those two riders. When LB stops doing everything in his power to take the best riders away from the starting line of the outdoor nationals I may change my tune but until that happens he's a virus IMO.
You are 100% correct Dan. Brooks has swung off the balls of the fastest riders to date. He has done nothing IMO. MC and Reed won there titles pre Brooks. Stewart was the man pre Brooks.

When Brooks takes a young up and coming rider and makes him a Champ then he should be considered a great team manager but until then he is just a douchbag who is nothing but bad for this sport.

motogrady
8/28/2010 3:46am
You guys act like LB turned Reedy and MC into Champions.. Come on guys.. My grandma could of won titles with those two riders. When LB...
RMZ819 wrote:
You are 100% correct Dan. Brooks has swung off the balls of the fastest riders to date. He has done nothing IMO. MC and Reed won...
You are 100% correct Dan. Brooks has swung off the balls of the fastest riders to date. He has done nothing IMO. MC and Reed won there titles pre Brooks. Stewart was the man pre Brooks.

When Brooks takes a young up and coming rider and makes him a Champ then he should be considered a great team manager but until then he is just a douchbag who is nothing but bad for this sport.

This ain't Loretta Lynn's.

Maybe he don't want to deal with the freakin' whining kids. And their parent's that
live their lives thru their sons eyes.

No, if he can give a rider that has paid his dues a ton of coin at the end of his career and still win, not a bad dude imo.

If you can't think straight without Stewart on the track it might be time to get a life of one's own.
hammertime
8/28/2010 4:27am
well....he comes on here and represents!!

no other majorteam manager does...so just enjoy it.

that being said...he could reflect on those 88 kx's that were soooo fucking slow. just for fun..lol. my dad paid cash fotr a 88 cr 125 as i was getting free kawai;s up here in canada. my ol man was no mini dad...but he just bought the thing...sent it to pc....and when it got back, i was kiling everybody. like i said earlier...there was no parity, that yr, holand and coop were on 450's compared to 250's...kehoe should have had goerges title that yr...no question.

people in the know to this day wii admit that the 88 cr 125 was the best bike of all time...let alone factory to coop and george. eric and donny...and tiechnor were just screwed.
Law 131
8/28/2010 4:34am
Larry,

Thanks for taking the time to post an answer.

In my view, on-track motocross wars pale in comparison to the dedication, tenacity and vision it takes to run a stable full of young stallions. You are correct, critics abound but few can stand the heat long enough to secure a major championship for the team.

You seem to be well on your way to becoming one of the ex-racers that becomes one of those wise ambassadors of the sport. A real heavy weight like Keith or Roger.

What is the relationship between San Manuel, Yamaha and your team? How are the duties and responsibilities separated and why? I suspect that Yamaha would want to separate out liability or tax issues.
hammertime
8/28/2010 4:48am
Law 131 wrote:
Larry, Thanks for taking the time to post an answer. In my view, on-track motocross wars pale in comparison to the dedication, tenacity and vision it...
Larry,

In my view, on-track motocross wars pale in comparison to the dedication, tenacity and vision it takes to run a stable full of young stallions. You are correct, critics abound but few can stand the heat long enough to secure a major championship for the team.

You seem to be well on your way to becoming one of the ex-racers that becomes one of those wise ambassadors of the sport. A real heavy weight like Keith or Roger.

What is the relationship between San Manuel, Yamaha and your team? How are the duties and responsibilities separated and why? I suspect that Yamaha would want to separate out liability or tax issues.
what the fuck??

have you noticed that his team is the joke of mx right now,,,,and whenever he posts it just takes the team even further into the ghetto??

san manuel is the laughing fodder of all that is pro mx right now.
8/28/2010 4:57am
At least Brooks gets on here and speaks his mind - no one has to agree with him. But he presents another perspective.

One point he makes that a lot of people here may not consider is that the teams and riders no longer feel compelled to do both SX and Outdoors. That's hard for a lot of people to still accept, even though MacGrath was doing it long before Bubs started doing it.

Things change.
8/28/2010 5:02am
Law 131 wrote:
Larry, Thanks for taking the time to post an answer. In my view, on-track motocross wars pale in comparison to the dedication, tenacity and vision it...
Larry,

Are you fucking kidding?

Brook's hired one guy that cares more about his gay MTV show and sitting in his Lambo than moto and refuses to race outdoors, and another great talent that went and fuckered his moto career away by doing a 75 back flip!

How is that wise and successful?

Post a reply to: Brooks is back...

The Latest