Broadcast Changes You'd Like To See

IWreckALot
Edited Date/Time 2/24/2015 5:50pm
I'm not looking to make this a bitch fest but I like thinking of ways to improve what we have. So what would you like to see?

One thing I'd like to see is a more data driven approach to a few things. For example, I've seen quite a few of us not like the "Keys to the race" always including a good start. But the start is the most important part of the race so it's going to be there often. So rather than just saying "a good start" as a key, I wish they'd give statistics behind that Key. For example, each pass takes X amount of seconds to make, and when you have 10 people in front of you, you're giving the leader X amount of seconds and X amount of distance lead. The lap time variance is less than a second between the top 5 riders so it would take X amount of laps to catch the leader. They hit on the subject a little but not with data and they do it in a very passive manner. Clear tear offs is about as good of a reason they give for getting a good start.

Another cool segment would be to analyze how each rider's bike reacts in a given situation. Show suspension packing in the whoops or lean angles or whatever. Golf is a good example. They break down the golfer's swing into very slow motion and you can get a good idea of what is going on mechanically.

Another improvement I'd like to see is the split screen utilize more of the TV screen. It seems like about 50% of the screen is not utilized. The split screen is one of my favorite improvements lately. I also like the spider cam except how many times they say the words "spider cam".

They could get rid of the twitter pushing altogether. Is there some sort of monetary gain made by pushing twitter? Or do THAT many people watch the broadcast for a chance to get their picture on the screen. I just don't get the twitter drive during the broadcast.
|
hvaughn88
2/24/2015 11:27am
I'll second everything you just said. I'd probably add that I like some of the on track cameras Nascar utilizes. That camera they had down in the asphalt for Daytona last week looked pretty cool when the cars came flying over it. I think it helps give some perspective.
dsmith
Fantasy
1485th
2/24/2015 11:30am
im all for moto commercials but.........that Barcia "again" Toyota commercial...I cant get it outta my head..."again"
CR250Rider
2/24/2015 11:34am
Here's my recurring and unanswered bitch: SHOW THE RIDERS LINED UP AT THE GATE IN THEIR RELATIVE ORDER.ie.
Dungey is here, KR is here Reed is here, down the entire line. Once the camera is panned back we can't identify where our favorite riders are. Right now when we watch the holeshot develop we have no clue until the first turn when we get a tighter view.

rant over Smile
SEE ARE125
2/24/2015 11:38am
I'm over the twitter stuff. Same shit every weekend with that. Don't forget to use that hashtag SX on Fox. I agree with you on all points. I would like to see more rider features, including privateers and what they go through on a weekly basis. The casual fan doesn't watch "Behind the Dream," and I think it would be a perfect opportunity to show what these guys go through, from training, traveling, trying to dial in the bike, family time, etc.

@hvaughn, they used to have cameras down on the track, not sure if they're in a tough block or buried in the dirt, but they've shown come cool shots of the first and second turn with them before. Although I haven't seen them much(if at all) this season.

#SXonFox

The Shop

Motodave15
2/24/2015 12:09pm
I want a throttle/brake/rpm monitor like they have in F1 racing.. I'm always checking that thing out...also they should bring back the gap length, where they show the leader from a head on view and do the stopwatch thing (they did it a lot with mc).. I'd also like to see suspension temps and or compression when they hit obstacles.

I want them to bring the technical side out of this sport. Its way too blan when watching.
IWreckALot
2/24/2015 12:16pm
dsmith wrote:
im all for moto commercials but.........that Barcia "again" Toyota commercial...I cant get it outta my head..."again"
The Josh Grant and Justin Brayton commercials last year were pretty cheesy also. Very bad acting.
Wildeye511
2/24/2015 12:21pm
I was thinking wait until the end of the race to show the "Progressive Pass of the race" Does it always have to be the pass that got the rider into the lead? Can it not be just a great pass someone made that may or may not have helped them win the race?
IWreckALot
2/24/2015 12:24pm Edited Date/Time 2/24/2015 12:30pm
SEE ARE125 wrote:
I'm over the twitter stuff. Same shit every weekend with that. Don't forget to use that hashtag SX on Fox. I agree with you on all...
I'm over the twitter stuff. Same shit every weekend with that. Don't forget to use that hashtag SX on Fox. I agree with you on all points. I would like to see more rider features, including privateers and what they go through on a weekly basis. The casual fan doesn't watch "Behind the Dream," and I think it would be a perfect opportunity to show what these guys go through, from training, traveling, trying to dial in the bike, family time, etc.

@hvaughn, they used to have cameras down on the track, not sure if they're in a tough block or buried in the dirt, but they've shown come cool shots of the first and second turn with them before. Although I haven't seen them much(if at all) this season.

#SXonFox
I could write a novel about how much I hate seeing anything twitter related during the broadcast. I really tried not to bitch in my thread but it drives me nuts. I think the 1000th person to put their motorcycle on the wall or ceiling is as cool as the 999th. . . Dianna Dahlgren looks really equally as good with the TV on mute though. I really want to know if there is some sort of monetary value given from the Twitter pushing.

I've heard more casual fans paying attention to the "Behind the Dream" and "Inside the Outdoors" programs than any other venue of grabbing new fans. They liked how real they made the riders. I think doing a smaller version of that during a broadcast would gain way more long term fans than most of the stuff they do.

And CR250Rider, I agree with your idea. They do a close up of some riders on the gate but it's not always easy seeing where they're lined up. They could do a close zoom then pan out so you can somewhat see where they are.

Also a camera located at the end of the start straight would be cool. It seems like that shot is always after the first corner so you don't get to see a lot of number plates. I think it's the holeshot line but they always replay that angle also.
2/24/2015 12:26pm Edited Date/Time 2/24/2015 12:28pm
This is where I usually mention how cool it'd be for them to show us the ghost images of various riders attacking various lines through the various sections. Show a privateer (B rider) through a corner next to Dungey's ghost to drive home the differing levels of ability and humiliate him.
bvm111
2/24/2015 12:40pm
I agree on most points

Pass of the Race on lap 9 of the main event????

More Privateer Profiles... Less twitter!

Dont shove the Mic in their face before the rider gets the helmet off!!!!

I would love to see Jim Holley as the floor reporter... that would be a great addition!
2/24/2015 12:47pm
While I love all of the suggestions in this thread, I'm already stoked with the coverage we have now.

Sure, it could be tweaked, but after a few years of second-day-coverage having every show broadcasted live has me cranked.

The show is so streamlined now. Just a handful (maybe two) segments without racing.

It could be better, but in light of the current state of motocross as a whole I'm absolutely thrilled with the coverage we have right now.
KMC440
2/24/2015 12:56pm
I'll say it again .... a true pit reporter, Holley would be great, that does 5 quick interviews between the heats and main that can be played back during "get-a-beer" time after the 250lcq.
2/24/2015 1:06pm
For a rider profile, not limited to privateers, it'd be cool to do a short segment on a guy, then revisit him in practice, then in the heat, semi, whatever, then when the main event rolls around, have a camera out with him by his truck and follow him from his truck into the stadium and to his gate...it'd be way cool to experience that through the eyes of a rider, little guy or huge star.
RY4N37
2/24/2015 1:08pm
Whilst I think all the things you mentioned are pretty good ideas. I would not change the too much about the coverage. There's really not much time between races to do much analysis, and showing more replays for analysis during the race would mean missing more of the action.

I do like the idea of showing more on screen stats though. For example, if a rider gets a bad start, just a little caption to show his average finishing position when starting outside the top 10, something like that. Although judging by some people's reaction to the new pylon, more on screen graphics might be a bad idea Grinning
IWreckALot
2/24/2015 1:15pm
RY4N37 wrote:
Whilst I think all the things you mentioned are pretty good ideas. I would not change the too much about the coverage. There's really not much...
Whilst I think all the things you mentioned are pretty good ideas. I would not change the too much about the coverage. There's really not much time between races to do much analysis, and showing more replays for analysis during the race would mean missing more of the action.

I do like the idea of showing more on screen stats though. For example, if a rider gets a bad start, just a little caption to show his average finishing position when starting outside the top 10, something like that. Although judging by some people's reaction to the new pylon, more on screen graphics might be a bad idea Grinning
I somewhat agree with your first point. I don't want many changes to the in race coverage. Any time they cut away from the battles, it creates some friction. But I don't agree that there's not really enough time between moto to do analysis. They fill quite a bit of time with the Twitter shit, and they usually have quite a bit of other fluff with Ralph and Emig discussing stuff that could be easily converted to more content. Also, the seemingly meaningless polls they put out there.

TripleFive, I agree. I think what we have now is great, but I think continuing to progress the broadcast will keep gaining more fans. That's why I wanted this thread to be about ways to enhance the broadcast rather than just bitching about this and that.
Atmos
2/24/2015 1:21pm
1. Maybe stay with one channel for the whole season.
2. Get rid of Dianna's Twitter/social media stuff.
3. Find someone who knows how to mix audio.
4. The sidebar on the left side of the screen has to go.

Those 4 things stand out in my mind. But, we are light years ahead of where we were just 10 years ago, except for David Bailey. I'd like to see him back in the booth.
Rdubs19
2/24/2015 1:52pm
I like the ghost rider as a fun thing to show particularly as a time killer in snoozer races, and even better is the idea of breaking things down like golf. And some rider profiles/behind the scenes stuff would be great for the down time. And I am in the opposition of most about the rider interviews, I want it ASAP, soon as they come off the track, the podium interviews are stale, boring and worst of all predictable. Look at the NFL and NBA, the second the clock hits zero there are cameras all over the coach/MVP/whoever. The urgency of that draws the viewers in even more and makes it all feel more important. Pretty sure the riders can handle it and it would make for a little drama, or at least a more open and sincere interview.
JeepnMike
2/24/2015 1:54pm
Atmos wrote:
1. Maybe stay with one channel for the whole season. 2. Get rid of Dianna's Twitter/social media stuff. 3. Find someone who knows how to mix...
1. Maybe stay with one channel for the whole season.
2. Get rid of Dianna's Twitter/social media stuff.
3. Find someone who knows how to mix audio.
4. The sidebar on the left side of the screen has to go.

Those 4 things stand out in my mind. But, we are light years ahead of where we were just 10 years ago, except for David Bailey. I'd like to see him back in the booth.
X2, especially having all races on one channel.. Preferrably, a channel all cable providers actually carry!

The social media stuff is cheesy, I admit. I do think some of the content can be fun and not all just pictures of babies in helmets and rednecks bringing their bikes in the house. It does offer the chance for example RC to post a photo of the party he is having watching the race, other sports celebrities comments, etc.
Zaugg
2/24/2015 1:56pm
Would be cool to see lap times in addition to sec. ahead on the leader board. Would also be cool to see who logged the fastest lap of the race like they do in F1.

moto282
2/24/2015 1:56pm Edited Date/Time 2/24/2015 1:58pm
Bring back the entire rider list on the sidebar. It's worse now only showing the top 5. I liked seeing passes when they happened without having to watching online timing.

The twitter thing is played out... or do something different with it such as submitting questions for the on track reporter to ask a rider, FRO/Ricky, or something other than dirt bikes in living rooms.

Pay whatever Troy Adamitis needs to do stories on riders and the sport and include those in the broadcast instead of corny interviews about what it's like to fly through the air on a dirt bike.

Stay with a battle - if you need to show the leader crossing the finish, do a split screen. Don't show a long slo-mo scene w/out a split screen.
gt80rider
2/24/2015 2:04pm
Lets go nex-gen interactive please...

I watch the race on my tv. In addition, i have a tablet/laptop/smartphone up and running. The tablet should have acess to dedicated cameras and helmet feeds so i can follow a single rider or section of the track if i want to. Leave the live timing off the tv and put on the net feed. The tv feed is the overview of the race, while the net options can allow you to be specific on a single rider or battle or section (thats how we all watch it in the stadium anyways). Allow me to open up multiple helmet feeds on my tablet so i can watch rider X (and rider Y, and rider Z) work their way through the pack.
2/24/2015 2:13pm
Mot sure if the proper term is camera angle, but lets say camera perspective.

Previously the best (by far) camera perspective has been the shot from the vehicle at Daytona. The one where they almost match the riders speed down the straight. That's a hell of a shot!

Last weekend there was one camera and I only saw the "money shot" once... but it was in the inside of a right hand turn. The same camera filmed Reed coming in, going around the berm, then come out a rut on the other side. It was the only shot all night that really showed me the speed, and difficulty the riders are going through.

I did catch a few shots from the same camera, so there must be more to the magic than just camera placement.
Hut
2/24/2015 2:23pm
Some good ideas in here. I do agree that the SX coverage is better than ever.
Hut
2/24/2015 2:30pm
151 wrote:
Mot sure if the proper term is camera angle, but lets say camera perspective. Previously the best (by far) camera perspective has been the shot from...
Mot sure if the proper term is camera angle, but lets say camera perspective.

Previously the best (by far) camera perspective has been the shot from the vehicle at Daytona. The one where they almost match the riders speed down the straight. That's a hell of a shot!

Last weekend there was one camera and I only saw the "money shot" once... but it was in the inside of a right hand turn. The same camera filmed Reed coming in, going around the berm, then come out a rut on the other side. It was the only shot all night that really showed me the speed, and difficulty the riders are going through.

I did catch a few shots from the same camera, so there must be more to the magic than just camera placement.
That shot at Daytona is great! During the mud-fest in 2008 was badass, shows great dedication by the camera crew to get that. Cool
ChrisB10
2/24/2015 2:41pm
1. Go back to original score pylon they had the first 5 races.
2. Stop with the side angle camera view on the holeshot, you can't see sh*t.
3. Stop with the spilt screen showing two riders battle and the leader.
4. Enough of the twitter your dirt bike photos.
5. 3 people in the booth is too much. I actually like just Ralph and Emig.

Overall though they do an excellent job. Spider cam kicks ass!
DownSouth
2/24/2015 2:43pm Edited Date/Time 2/24/2015 2:46pm
They need an intern in the booth with an electric cattle prod to zap Fro and Ralph whenever they say "whoop pad." With any luck after a week or two they could be cured.
YZ324
2/24/2015 2:47pm
TripleFive wrote:
While I love all of the suggestions in this thread, I'm already stoked with the coverage we have now. Sure, it could be tweaked, but after...
While I love all of the suggestions in this thread, I'm already stoked with the coverage we have now.

Sure, it could be tweaked, but after a few years of second-day-coverage having every show broadcasted live has me cranked.

The show is so streamlined now. Just a handful (maybe two) segments without racing.

It could be better, but in light of the current state of motocross as a whole I'm absolutely thrilled with the coverage we have right now.
DITO!!
Hut
2/24/2015 2:49pm
DownSouth wrote:
They need an intern in the booth with an electric cattle prod to zap Fro and Ralph whenever they say "whoop pad." With any luck after...
They need an intern in the booth with an electric cattle prod to zap Fro and Ralph whenever they say "whoop pad." With any luck after a week or two they could be cured.
"Stablemate" ZZzzzaaap!
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4231st
2/24/2015 2:51pm
I'd just like an explanation why the split screen can be used any time other than when there's a great battle for second while the leader is alone getting the checkers. I get that the leader needs to be shown winning the race, but more often than not that's a done deal and the action that still matters is getting cut away from.
Mr. Info
2/24/2015 2:57pm
Kevin Windham and David Bailey as the TV Announcers. I also think to better inform the people who are watching who know nothing about the bikes do a story on each brand during the race breaks on what makes them different. Oh wait I think the only people watching already know that. Just change things up a little. Have Ralph talk about where the next Nascar race is.

Post a reply to: Broadcast Changes You'd Like To See

The Latest