Bringing son to track

j.rush337
Edited Date/Time 7/24/2015 7:43pm
OK guys I have a question for ya. My son just turned 5 and I got him a crf 50 for his birthday, and I was wondering how do y'all approach the track.If I go Ill want to ride too, but how do I go about getting practice time in with him being there too, he cant ride on the adult track with me, so how do you guys do it. Im not trying to build a racer I just want him to be involved in a hobby with me so when he does get older we can rip together.
|
DoctorJD
7/24/2015 8:32am
Unless you take someone else with you, don't plan on riding. I have a friend who has a son close to the same age as mine. We took turns watching the boys while the other rode. If I ever went without my friend, I just left my bike at home and let the day be dedicated to my son riding.
SEE ARE125
7/24/2015 8:40am Edited Date/Time 7/24/2015 8:40am
First off, don't rush it. Get him comfortable on the bike before you take him to the track where other kids/bikes are going to be buzzing all around him. Easy for a kid to lose focus of what they're doing and start watching others. When I first started riding with my kid, I would follow him, but he was always looking back to see what I was doing and not paying attention to what was in front of him. We practiced in an open field at first, and once he got comfortable, then I would purposely pull up beside him and rev my engine, then slow up and cut behind him to the other side and do the same, stand on my seat, do a wheelie, anything to try and distract him. Once I saw that I couldn't shake his focus anymore, then I allowed him to ride with other bikes. He needs to be aware of what other riders are doing, but not get distracted by them if that makes sense. Follow him on your bike if allowed, or go stand on the track and keep an eye on him. If you are wanting some track time yourself, I would suggest taking your wife/friend/etc to watch him while you're on the track.
TbonesPop
Fantasy
321st
7/24/2015 8:48am
We, (our son and I) take turns riding - or we used to when he was little on the PW50. Once he got used to the bikes, he got a little bigger, I trusted him more, and he became capable of starting the bike on his own (a very proud day as a dad!), then I let him go out there by himself. But when he was really young, we just took turns riding. I'd ride for 15-20 minutes, and while I was riding I would make him watch me and also hydrate up (and eat snacks). then I would do the same with him when he was riding. I would keep a close eye on him while I hydrated up and rested. Just take turns. Once he can start the bike on his own, you can let him go by himself if there are other people around - he'll be fine. It's a good learning experience for him to deal with adversity if he has a minor crash or stalls.
endurox
7/24/2015 8:51am
Trail riding is a great way to learn, no pressure and you can both ride.

The Shop

Bruce372
7/24/2015 9:27am
I found teaching my kids to ride was a lot easier than teaching him the smarts of being at public riding spots and being safe and aware of all the dangers of other people in all the various vehicles around.
shuggs
7/24/2015 9:55am
With me & grandson it has been constantly stranger - danger, we take turns about and unless he has got a wee buddy to play/ hand out with he is in van with doors locked.

Recently he has got another kid to hang around with and I and his dad take turns going on bikes
Zesiger 112
Fantasy
2058th
7/24/2015 10:10am
Ride on the track tell him to watch. Then when you come in to rest take longer breaks than usual and put him on his to cruise around an open area of the pits. If possible find some small bumps for him to ride over.
bluepumpkin
7/24/2015 10:22am
DoctorJD wrote:
Unless you take someone else with you, don't plan on riding. I have a friend who has a son close to the same age as mine...
Unless you take someone else with you, don't plan on riding. I have a friend who has a son close to the same age as mine. We took turns watching the boys while the other rode. If I ever went without my friend, I just left my bike at home and let the day be dedicated to my son riding.
This.
moore433
7/24/2015 10:29am
One of the biggest things I taught mine was that if they crashed, get off the track unless they were really hurt. Unless they just couldn't, get off the track.......
And to hold your line on the track. Faster people will find their way around...
7/24/2015 10:35am Edited Date/Time 7/24/2015 10:36am
Got a field ? Cut a turn track in the field. Let him ride tank after tank after tabk after tank of fuel througg that thing. Take him to a couple pro nationals and he will say: dad I want to race.

I just told my fiancé the other day when we have a kid I don't think I could ride Id just have to dedicate it all to the kid. I'd be stressed out enough to make sure his stuff is prepped let alone worry about mine.
CrGuy2T
Fantasy
3719th
7/24/2015 10:58am
If he just started riding at 5 I would give it a year or so before I actually took him to an open practice. hopefully you can find a track that has sessions but it's very hard to find anywhere that does practice sessions for 50's. We fought this battle as you are about to. I found the best day to take mine when he was that age is at the very end of the day just before closing time. I followed my kid around on an xr 80 for almost a year. He started riding with out trainers at 4 we hit the track about the age of 5. The biggest problem is people cannot see him and some of the middle age teenagers don't care to watch out for them. I've seen kids go down in the back sides of jumps and big bikes hit the 50 causing carnage. I personally just laid a track out in our back yard and in vacant fields and that what we rode. He will gain a lot of experience just in a big open field laid out for turning. I just took a push mower and made the turn tracks two mowers wide and told him stay in the lines. For what it's worth that's my experience. We raced for two years with decent success. Took a year off and about to get some 65's now.
j.rush337
7/24/2015 11:03am
I have a small track laid out in my yard, with some small burms and a hill that i could eventually make into a mini tabletop. I just dont understand how these kids go from chugging along on 50's to ripping on 65's where is the turning point where you let them loose, on a track with adults after just riding a field, where does he get the experience to hit a track with any speed.
imoto34
Fantasy
3179th
7/24/2015 11:06am
Ride on the track tell him to watch. Then when you come in to rest take longer breaks than usual and put him on his to...
Ride on the track tell him to watch. Then when you come in to rest take longer breaks than usual and put him on his to cruise around an open area of the pits. If possible find some small bumps for him to ride over.
x2. I once worked with a kid that would tip over everytime he got passed. even on the straights but would go just fine on the track by him self
CrGuy2T
Fantasy
3719th
7/24/2015 11:14am
j.rush337 wrote:
I have a small track laid out in my yard, with some small burms and a hill that i could eventually make into a mini tabletop...
I have a small track laid out in my yard, with some small burms and a hill that i could eventually make into a mini tabletop. I just dont understand how these kids go from chugging along on 50's to ripping on 65's where is the turning point where you let them loose, on a track with adults after just riding a field, where does he get the experience to hit a track with any speed.
Gradual when there only a few big bikes I would let mine go. You will know the turning point it will go just from a pw to the cobra or Ktm. It literally happens over night. One day they are putting the next minute the pw or crf 50 will be begging for mercy.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
7/24/2015 11:25am
When I was that age I would watch my dad do his motos and when he finished we'd relax for a few minutes and then it was my turn. We would do that all day long every Saturday for years.
Camp332
7/24/2015 12:35pm
DoctorJD wrote:
Unless you take someone else with you, don't plan on riding. I have a friend who has a son close to the same age as mine...
This.
I'll third this plan. I'll have my brother in law, or good friend hang with my son while I ride. Not a chance I'll leave him alone in my truck while I ride. No way.
7/24/2015 2:44pm
Taught my wife how to ride first got her a drz125l . Then when it was time to teach my boys how to ride we would just take turns being helicopter parents following them around. But when she didn't go it was just them riding only.
The Rock
7/24/2015 5:34pm
Great thread. This kind of stuff is why I love this sport.
GIwasB4
7/24/2015 7:43pm
endurox wrote:
Trail riding is a great way to learn, no pressure and you can both ride.
^ this.
Burn tank full's of gas and treasure the moment.

Post a reply to: Bringing son to track

The Latest