Bringing dirtbike across boarder

chase383
11/1/2010 6:54am
iamdustin wrote:
I was just wondering if anyone has bought a dirt bike in the states and brought it back to Canada or if anyone knows what the...
I was just wondering if anyone has bought a dirt bike in the states and brought it back to Canada or if anyone knows what the fees would be to bring it across. I am looking into getting a crf150r and they are about 2500-3500 in Canada and in the USA they are about 1000 less. Im just wondering if it would be worth it to spend the time to drive down, pay for gas and pay the boarder fees.
Thanks
I've done it numerous times.. I buy all my race bikes in the States because the prices are usually a lot better.
The only thing you have to pay is the appropriate tax (which you would pay in Canada anyways).
You don't have to pay the RIV fees since the bike you are buying is a closed course competiton vehicle, Make sure you make that clear when you go into to pay.
It really depends on how far you have to go to get the bike and how good of an exchange rate you can get on your CDN dollar.
motomental1
11/1/2010 6:55am
i shipped a 96 cr500 frame and suspension to canada with the title. the guy i sent it to said just mark the claim form as salvage motorcycle parts . duty was alot less. maybe take it apart box it up and do the samething. just an thought

bents
Fantasy
694th
11/1/2010 7:02am
I've brought back a few and it is absolutely worth it. Super easy to do. Google "RIV" and it will bring you to the "Registrar Import Vehicles" website that will walk you through the process. If it is a "closed course competition" motorcycle, then you can save 200 dollars by not having to pay the RIV fee, but you have to have the sticker on the back fender of the bike stating that it is for closed course competition-you know the one. I made my own once, word for word, in both french and english, and put it on the back fender and it saved me 200 bucks.

If you buy one, make sure you get the original title. You have to forward the title and the bill of sale to the border crossing that you are going to use 72 hours before you cross. Just fax it there. Then when you get to the border, go into the US customs office to get the title stamped, then go through the cdn border telling them what you are doing. You will bring the paperwork into the cdn border, fill out a form, pay GST (on the converted amount of your purchase), and you are on your way. In fact, you won't even have to fill out the paperwork if you have that sticker on the back of the bike.

It sounds more complicated than it is. Depending on how far you have to go to pick up the bike and what kind of extra cost you have to incur, you will definitely save money. I prefer to buy bikes in the US that come from colder climates as they won't have the same number of hours on them. Do your homework of course. But a bit of patience and a bit of paperwork can save you a bundle of cash, especially with the strength of our dollar right now.
chadwik74
11/1/2010 7:14am
bents wrote:
I've brought back a few and it is absolutely worth it. Super easy to do. Google "RIV" and it will bring you to the "Registrar Import...
I've brought back a few and it is absolutely worth it. Super easy to do. Google "RIV" and it will bring you to the "Registrar Import Vehicles" website that will walk you through the process. If it is a "closed course competition" motorcycle, then you can save 200 dollars by not having to pay the RIV fee, but you have to have the sticker on the back fender of the bike stating that it is for closed course competition-you know the one. I made my own once, word for word, in both french and english, and put it on the back fender and it saved me 200 bucks.

If you buy one, make sure you get the original title. You have to forward the title and the bill of sale to the border crossing that you are going to use 72 hours before you cross. Just fax it there. Then when you get to the border, go into the US customs office to get the title stamped, then go through the cdn border telling them what you are doing. You will bring the paperwork into the cdn border, fill out a form, pay GST (on the converted amount of your purchase), and you are on your way. In fact, you won't even have to fill out the paperwork if you have that sticker on the back of the bike.

It sounds more complicated than it is. Depending on how far you have to go to pick up the bike and what kind of extra cost you have to incur, you will definitely save money. I prefer to buy bikes in the US that come from colder climates as they won't have the same number of hours on them. Do your homework of course. But a bit of patience and a bit of paperwork can save you a bundle of cash, especially with the strength of our dollar right now.
Thats some good advide.

The Shop

gotwings
11/1/2010 9:53am
You have someone renting a room from you that you rode across???
mxb2
11/1/2010 10:56am
iamdustin wrote:
I was just wondering if anyone has bought a dirt bike in the states and brought it back to Canada or if anyone knows what the...
I was just wondering if anyone has bought a dirt bike in the states and brought it back to Canada or if anyone knows what the fees would be to bring it across. I am looking into getting a crf150r and they are about 2500-3500 in Canada and in the USA they are about 1000 less. Im just wondering if it would be worth it to spend the time to drive down, pay for gas and pay the boarder fees.
Thanks
Don t ask Dean Wilson! LOL
jndmx
11/1/2010 11:17am
Just fire that sucker up and jump over the border.
OSJ
11/1/2010 1:10pm
not sure if it applys for you, but a bike bought in the us insnt eligible for cdn contingency money.

have ya thought about just picking up a nice used 125 2 stroke here in canada.

Post a reply to: Bringing dirtbike across boarder

The Latest