Brett Cue

Darryl916
Edited Date/Time 5/8/2014 7:22pm
Where did he come from? Dude appears to have some serious skills on a bike. What's the back story? Does he have a history/success in Moto at the local level? Ever make a professional run at racing or anything? Dude just shows up throwing nasty whips and representing Motosport from what seems to me to be out of the blue. I figure someone here would know where he really came from....

https://youtu.be/zC-q1IV6KHc
|
akillerwombat
5/7/2014 10:30am
I believe a read somewhere that he was a strong armature racer but got hurt, I could be wrong though.
hvaughn88
5/7/2014 10:31am Edited Date/Time 5/7/2014 10:31am
I don't really know a backstory about him, just that he's been putting out bad ass videos for a while now and I love every single one of them. Brett seems like a very cool dude. That video of him riding with Coop was one of the coolest ones I've seen.
5/7/2014 10:33am
He is part of that whole Bogle/Canard/Albertson/Reynard crew from Oklahoma. he lives in Oregon and works at Motosport now.
huck
5/7/2014 10:38am
He's been a local pro for a long time..and a cool guy for longer than that. I don't think he ever had the speed to make a run at anything "national", but has always had sweet whips.

The Shop

Rooster
5/7/2014 11:25am
One of those guys that's always been scraping away at the edges of the pro series.

He's fast, just not quite fast enough. He sure seems to be finding a way to get his name out there though. Good for him.
mgifracing
Fantasy
346th
5/7/2014 12:09pm
Brett's dad used to paint helmets for guy Cooper and it went from there to the Oklahoma gang.
5/7/2014 12:14pm Edited Date/Time 5/7/2014 12:15pm
I believe a read somewhere that he was a strong armature racer but got hurt, I could be wrong though.
I seem to remember back from the days of ronronmx that he also fell through a roof or something while decorating and got badly injured? Apologies if I'm getting wildly mixed up. Awesome whips!
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
5/7/2014 12:30pm
I have seen him around the Portland tracks this spring. Kids a beast!
pummel
Fantasy
432nd
5/7/2014 12:32pm
He's been showing up at some local practice tracks around here and has been really fun to watch.
dennisjonon
5/7/2014 1:11pm
he's been around the midwest scene forever... I'm not sure if he ever did try pro stuff, but i feel like he has the speed to, you just most importantly gotta be head strong and he looks like he has the confidence by the size of his whips!
bq_365
5/7/2014 1:19pm
Thanks for the kind words, guys!

I didn't start riding until I was 10 and racing until I was 16. I always had a full time job and racing was something my family and I did together to stay close. I never had intentions of riding professionally, but just wanted to have fun with it.

In late 2009, I broke my back and separated my pelvis while riding. In 2010 I decided I wanted to try a couple outdoors, but had only been on the bike a couple weeks and definitely wasn't ready. After Lakewood, I was working and went through a basement roof straight on my head. I didn't get to ride for a year or so after that and had some other rough times along the way.

I got back on the bike again but had no real desire to race again. That's when I first met Dayton Daft and Josh Gray, who paints helmets at Shades of Gray. Dayton had just gotten started making videos so we made a couple together. Then him and Josh bugged me for a few months to try to get in to best whip at X Games, so that's what I did. Dayton was in school in Colorado, Josh was working full time in Missouri and I worked full time in Oklahoma to pay for everything to make our "Road to X Games" video series possible. We had some of the coolest experiences you could imagine in that year and I feel like it definitely showed in the videos. Without those two, I wouldn't be where I am.

As you know, I didn't get into X last year. Just a week afterwards, Jarrod from MotoSport.com called Dayton. He had seen our videos and wanted to start an in-house content department and asked Dayton to manage the video side. He was up there for a month or so and talked Jarrod into hiring me to do the how to's, tech tips and riding for the videos.

Now I feel like I have the greatest job in the world! I get to work with some of the best people at the best company around! It has allowed me opportunities to do things I would never be able to on my own. I am headed to Australia to race the Manjimup 15000 in a couple weeks. I've always wanted to go over there, but never thought I would have the chance. I also plan on trying to qualify for Washougal if all goes well, but may end up spending my whole qualifying practice throwing whips over the road jump!

No matter what, I'm going to stick with what got me this far.... Having fun on my dirtbike!
mgifracing
Fantasy
346th
5/7/2014 1:24pm
Thanks Brett, Good read. Ronnie is your dad I'm thinking.
5/7/2014 1:37pm
The video with Brett ,Jerry robin and guy cooper is the coolest video I've seen in a long time. I never thought some one could throw nasty whips like that on a cr480. Hahaa Laughing
bq_365
5/7/2014 1:40pm
Yep, Ronnie is my dad. He actually got another bike awhile back! He is probably one of the only 62 year olds you'll ever see throw a whip. I guess the apple doesn't fall far from the tree!
spd721
5/7/2014 1:43pm
BQ has been around for a while. I remember when he posted on Ronronmx as far back as 2005.
mgifracing
Fantasy
346th
5/7/2014 1:43pm
bq_365 wrote:
Yep, Ronnie is my dad. He actually got another bike awhile back! He is probably one of the only 62 year olds you'll ever see throw...
Yep, Ronnie is my dad. He actually got another bike awhile back! He is probably one of the only 62 year olds you'll ever see throw a whip. I guess the apple doesn't fall far from the tree!
Your dad is good people and I always enjoyed riding with him and Chuck Cooper.
5/7/2014 2:36pm
bq_365 wrote:
Thanks for the kind words, guys! I didn't start riding until I was 10 and racing until I was 16. I always had a full time...
Thanks for the kind words, guys!

I didn't start riding until I was 10 and racing until I was 16. I always had a full time job and racing was something my family and I did together to stay close. I never had intentions of riding professionally, but just wanted to have fun with it.

In late 2009, I broke my back and separated my pelvis while riding. In 2010 I decided I wanted to try a couple outdoors, but had only been on the bike a couple weeks and definitely wasn't ready. After Lakewood, I was working and went through a basement roof straight on my head. I didn't get to ride for a year or so after that and had some other rough times along the way.

I got back on the bike again but had no real desire to race again. That's when I first met Dayton Daft and Josh Gray, who paints helmets at Shades of Gray. Dayton had just gotten started making videos so we made a couple together. Then him and Josh bugged me for a few months to try to get in to best whip at X Games, so that's what I did. Dayton was in school in Colorado, Josh was working full time in Missouri and I worked full time in Oklahoma to pay for everything to make our "Road to X Games" video series possible. We had some of the coolest experiences you could imagine in that year and I feel like it definitely showed in the videos. Without those two, I wouldn't be where I am.

As you know, I didn't get into X last year. Just a week afterwards, Jarrod from MotoSport.com called Dayton. He had seen our videos and wanted to start an in-house content department and asked Dayton to manage the video side. He was up there for a month or so and talked Jarrod into hiring me to do the how to's, tech tips and riding for the videos.

Now I feel like I have the greatest job in the world! I get to work with some of the best people at the best company around! It has allowed me opportunities to do things I would never be able to on my own. I am headed to Australia to race the Manjimup 15000 in a couple weeks. I've always wanted to go over there, but never thought I would have the chance. I also plan on trying to qualify for Washougal if all goes well, but may end up spending my whole qualifying practice throwing whips over the road jump!

No matter what, I'm going to stick with what got me this far.... Having fun on my dirtbike!
Definitely the one of the nicest people ive met. Met Brett at the ATL round this year.
Wolfman
5/7/2014 2:46pm
bq_365 wrote:
Yep, Ronnie is my dad. He actually got another bike awhile back! He is probably one of the only 62 year olds you'll ever see throw...
Wrong Ronnie, I'm thinkin!
Seamorbutts
5/7/2014 2:51pm Edited Date/Time 5/7/2014 2:52pm
Props for all the success Brett.
lamy962
5/7/2014 3:33pm
I'm just loving the look on the guys face in that first pic! BlinkBlinkHuh
Huevos
5/7/2014 3:54pm Edited Date/Time 5/7/2014 3:54pm
The first time I heard of Brett Cue was on ronronmx when he posted pictures from a photo shoot of him riding a David Bailey Replica CRF450 and some sick red, white and blue No Fear gear. So sick. I've noticed he always presents himself as a very positive and friendly guy, and humble with his talent.

I'll be at Washougal this year, so I'd be stoked to see Brett out there.
KMC440
5/7/2014 4:35pm
The year was 1966 Birds Eye foods was looking for a name for it's new desert topping. After countless hours coming up with truly shit names they spoke with a Chickasaw tribal elder who spoke of seeing many great things in a discovery dream. Of course they thought he was bat shit crazy talking about phones with televisions on them and the like. One thing did however catch the attention of a Reginald Vanden Bough and that was the vision of a person that could control a motorcycle in thin air as if it had wings to guide it. The wise man said "365BQ" to the impressionable Reginald who now had become Reggie to the old geezer. Well Reggie couldn't name their new topping "365BQ" I mean that again was a shit name like all the others. So the wise man began describing the names associated with the moves. It was then that Reggie heard the words he was waiting for.

Cool Whip.

And that is how Brett unknowingly named one of life's simple treasures.

Thanks Brett.

... p.s. two days later Reggie was struck by a cement mixer his entombed body is a statue now at the Wewoka, OK Elks club.
Darryl916
5/7/2014 5:50pm
Damn, never thought he'd show up and answer for himself. Couldn't have asked for better. Such coolness.
burn1986
Fantasy
3303rd
5/7/2014 6:27pm
Brett, I think you would be good in the booth or behind a mic on the field. It would be a nice mix for next SX season.
bq_365
5/7/2014 7:19pm
If they asked me to, I would definitely do it!!
daemon616
5/7/2014 7:51pm
BQ365 fan for life! Truly inspiring guy showing a true passion for life and moto. Also always been super nice to me on the twitterverse.
bigborefan
5/7/2014 8:00pm
Brett, your dad painted a helmet for me many, many, moons ago. If I recall the old man was not afraid to air it out.

Post a reply to: Brett Cue

The Latest