Breath testing at the track?

Reggsie
Edited Date/Time 10/12/2015 10:19am
So my local track (Queensland Moto Park) has a zero blood alcohol policy. Only problem is, it's not very easy to enforce. I'd never seen anyone tested in the four years or so I've been going there until a month or so ago, when a copper came for an hour or so and randomly checked a few people, including me (The pic is of me, QMP posted it on their facebook page). I didn't have a problem with it, but the picture got a lot of negative comments and people complaining.

What about you guys? Do you reckon testing people before they go out on the track is overkill, or do you think it's a good policy to do at least occasionally?

|
wsc96
Fantasy
451st
10/10/2015 3:44am
Overkill. Maybe spectators but riders at an MX track seems stupid.
cwtoyota
10/10/2015 4:41am
Is the track on public property? Here in the US, I suppose the local law enforcement might have jurisdiction on a public track (we have a few tracks in my state on public land).

I think that's a big pain in the ass. I would tell them no thanks and if they asked me to leave I'd ask for a refund of the practice or race entry fees.

Drinking and riding MX is absolutely stupid, but it doesn't need to go so far as to have law enforcement at the tracks on a practice day. What's next, urine tests and blood tests for drug use?
Reggsie
10/10/2015 5:17am
cwtoyota wrote:
Is the track on public property? Here in the US, I suppose the local law enforcement might have jurisdiction on a public track (we have a...
Is the track on public property? Here in the US, I suppose the local law enforcement might have jurisdiction on a public track (we have a few tracks in my state on public land).

I think that's a big pain in the ass. I would tell them no thanks and if they asked me to leave I'd ask for a refund of the practice or race entry fees.

Drinking and riding MX is absolutely stupid, but it doesn't need to go so far as to have law enforcement at the tracks on a practice day. What's next, urine tests and blood tests for drug use?
The track is on private land, but its run by Motorcycling Australia... which means loads more red tape. The police were invited there, but they didn't have jurisdiction, so if they caught anyone they wouldn't be fined or anything, they'd just be asked not to ride till they were zero.

I agree it would be crazy to have police there all the time, but once in four years doesn't seem so bad to me. It just sends the message to riders that the rule can be enforced. Also it wasn't a practice day, they don't race there, they're just open five days a week for rec riding.
kkawboy14
10/10/2015 5:22am
The people I have seen drink/drugs ride are some guys doin freestyle

The Shop

CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
10/10/2015 5:24am
If your not drinking then why not? Maybe it will stop that drunk guy from getting on the track and taking you out. Not needed everyday but randomly, sure.

Agree that is sends the message,...
500guy
10/10/2015 6:23am
Ridiculous

is this really a big problem?
Crush
10/10/2015 6:29am
Seems or at least you'd think that it'd be self policing... who the fuck would want to ride when they feel anything less than great! I don't even like it if i've not had a good nights sleep–BUT–you can't account for everyone, especially not drongos, that's morans for you Americans.

Overkill maybe, but i'd guess you'd only have to do it every once in a while to send a message.
hillbilly
10/10/2015 6:34am
It used to be,in the 80s i knew sever guys that had beers and raced.

One in my class,on a 500cr clapped out ,would get the holeshot a lot just from being stupid. At rolling hills in NC he got out front and I had my plan to get by on the 1st lap at the finish line,it was uphill blind with a choppy main line.

I gain on him up the hill,hit the jump ,he lands and swaps into my line,I land on his seat/fender and endo,the 3rd place rider ignores the flag and lands on me breaking my shoulder,shoulder blade,collarbone and upper arm,lucky he missed my head.

Mini Elsinore
10/10/2015 6:48am Edited Date/Time 10/10/2015 6:52am
Body cavity searches will be next....
But, hey, according to CarlinoJoe---it's all good if you don't have anything secreted in your bunghole.... AND, having your bunghole examined by Officer Fife just MAY prevent Goober Brown from secreting contraband in his bunghole. Bungholes MUST be checked for everyone's protection----think of the safety to women and children! Now, bend over, mate. Huh
Trav138
10/10/2015 6:54am Edited Date/Time 10/10/2015 6:57am
Body cavity searches will be next.... But, hey, according to CarlinoJoe---it's all good if you don't have anything secreted in your bunghole.... AND, having your bunghole...
Body cavity searches will be next....
But, hey, according to CarlinoJoe---it's all good if you don't have anything secreted in your bunghole.... AND, having your bunghole examined by Officer Fife just MAY prevent Goober Brown from secreting contraband in his bunghole. Bungholes MUST be checked for everyone's protection----think of the safety to women and children! Now, bend over, mate. Huh
haha
thats funny..... and pretty sure that would also "send a message" lol
DC323
10/10/2015 7:13am
I've been going to motocross tracks for nearly twenty years and besides the occasional spectator, I've never seen alcohol cause problems at a track. I'm sure it happens every now and then but not enough to warrant law enforcement be present at a motocross track.

I'm a police officer myself and if I got this order from command I don't know how I'd take it. Just more nanny state b.s. I better stop now before I get on a rant lol
mx836
10/10/2015 7:54am
Completely unnecessary and ridiculous. I assume the track is the ones who asked the officer to be there. If not, I would have many choice words for said officer after I refused to take a test.
JB 19
10/10/2015 8:28am
Looks like a fun place to be. I can only imagine all the other fun rules they have that make a person want to spend money there.
ML512
Fantasy
54th
10/10/2015 8:45am
I'm completely surprised how much opposition there is towards this. Yes it's an inconvenience, but it's not a big deal unless you're the one not passing the test (then again, most of the people in my father's riding group wouldn't pass on a typical riding day...)

I 100% don't see a problem with it. I worked at one of the most popular tracks here in Southern California for about a year and I was always surprised how many of your typical vet riders drink between motos on the weekends or on after work late afternoon rides. Then the younger crowd smoking between motos...

I don't want to be out on a track with a rider that is mentally impaired in any form, most of them are sketchy enough as it is...
Old-Man
10/10/2015 8:46am
Roger Decoster said he used to have a beer or two to help him calm down and relax, bet it happens a lot more than people think
Hut
10/10/2015 8:48am
Ridiculous!
SlowMoFo
10/10/2015 8:51am
Is passing slower riders allowed on that track?
10/10/2015 8:57am
If your not drinking then why not? Maybe it will stop that drunk guy from getting on the track and taking you out. Not needed everyday...
If your not drinking then why not? Maybe it will stop that drunk guy from getting on the track and taking you out. Not needed everyday but randomly, sure.

Agree that is sends the message,...
If they truly can't fine them it's fine. I don't know what kind of rights people have in other countries but there's no probable cause to breathalize on private property, on a closed course.

Can't say that I've ever seen people in the states on a practice day slamming down beers and riding. Maybe have a few after their done.

Do people get slammered and ride over the pond on the reg?
tmauto769
Fantasy
1001st
10/10/2015 9:01am
ML512 wrote:
I'm completely surprised how much opposition there is towards this. Yes it's an inconvenience, but it's not a big deal unless you're the one not passing...
I'm completely surprised how much opposition there is towards this. Yes it's an inconvenience, but it's not a big deal unless you're the one not passing the test (then again, most of the people in my father's riding group wouldn't pass on a typical riding day...)

I 100% don't see a problem with it. I worked at one of the most popular tracks here in Southern California for about a year and I was always surprised how many of your typical vet riders drink between motos on the weekends or on after work late afternoon rides. Then the younger crowd smoking between motos...

I don't want to be out on a track with a rider that is mentally impaired in any form, most of them are sketchy enough as it is...
Agreed, I am all for it. I don't want to be out there with them. There were two local riders here a few years ago that would get shit faced and go race. One grew up had a kid and is normal, the other, well he is a pillbilly, with no teeth, and riding mx is the last thing on his mind now a days.
mx836
10/10/2015 9:18am
ML512 wrote:
I'm completely surprised how much opposition there is towards this. Yes it's an inconvenience, but it's not a big deal unless you're the one not passing...

tmauto769 wrote:
Agreed, I am all for it. I don't want to be out there with them. There were two local riders here a few years ago that...
Agreed, I am all for it. I don't want to be out there with them. There were two local riders here a few years ago that would get shit faced and go race. One grew up had a kid and is normal, the other, well he is a pillbilly, with no teeth, and riding mx is the last thing on his mind now a days.
If there is a problem you are aware of then by all means, tell someone so something can be done about. I would never drink and ride. IMO, it's about rights. We shouldn't be so willing to give them up.
ML512
Fantasy
54th
10/10/2015 9:22am
ML512 wrote:

tmauto769 wrote:
Agreed, I am all for it. I don't want to be out there with them. There were two local riders here a few years ago that...
mx836 wrote:
If there is a problem you are aware of then by all means, tell someone so something can be done about. I would never drink and...
If there is a problem you are aware of then by all means, tell someone so something can be done about. I would never drink and ride. IMO, it's about rights. We shouldn't be so willing to give them up.
It's the track owner's property, in my opinion the owner has the "right" to do whatever he has to to keep the riders safe. If the rider's don't like it, they go elsewhere. That's what we used to tell the parents and riders that got out of hand at the track. If you can't behave, go elsewhere.
mx836
10/10/2015 9:32am
ML512 wrote:
It's the track owner's property, in my opinion the owner has the "right" to do whatever he has to to keep the riders safe. If the...
It's the track owner's property, in my opinion the owner has the "right" to do whatever he has to to keep the riders safe. If the rider's don't like it, they go elsewhere. That's what we used to tell the parents and riders that got out of hand at the track. If you can't behave, go elsewhere.
We can have differing opinions. I'd go elsewhere and behave just the same. Like others have said, what's next?
ML512
Fantasy
54th
10/10/2015 10:03am
mx836 wrote:
We can have differing opinions. I'd go elsewhere and behave just the same. Like others have said, what's next?
By telling people to behave, I meant the ones we had to kick out for getting hammered and fighting or trying to beat their children and being verbally abusive to our customers that could actually behave themselves. Smile
h&m_cycle
10/10/2015 10:24am Edited Date/Time 10/10/2015 10:34am
I remember having a couple of beers before each moto back in 1985 at a night race in Smithton, PA.
It was a supercross style track in the infield of a 1/2 dirt track stock car track... Motordrome speedway...

Dave Coombs Sr. was the promoter... It was a 2 moto format with poor lighting...
It was the 125A class, I got a few dollars for I think 5th overall... The money won was less then the entry fee...
I believe Jeff Glass won... The only reason I'm bringing this up is because Davey CoombsWoohoo was in the race...
I believe he got 2nd...Kissing

No ill effects... No armpump that night...Laughing It was a 1985 KX 125 that I bought new for $1700 cash because
It won the MXA shootout... I never did like that bike... f^ck jody... Whistling
No one was hurt in recreating this story... and it's way too stupid to make up...

What's the deal with the Aussie's anyway? a bunch of drunks? Wasn't that country a prison for England?

mx836
10/10/2015 10:31am
mx836 wrote:
ML512 wrote:
By telling people to behave, I meant the ones we had to kick out for getting hammered and fighting or trying to beat their children and...
By telling people to behave, I meant the ones we had to kick out for getting hammered and fighting or trying to beat their children and being verbally abusive to our customers that could actually behave themselves. Smile
Haha yeah, don't see that kind of stuff by me. I can see it being a problem in some places though. I suppose something has to be done, but I wouldn't be happy about it. Laughing
Cygnus
10/10/2015 11:13am Edited Date/Time 10/10/2015 11:13am
lmao! My customers get pissed when I bring out my DB meter I can only imagine nobody would ever come back if I did this.
Mini Elsinore
10/10/2015 12:05pm
mx836 wrote:
ML512 wrote:
By telling people to behave, I meant the ones we had to kick out for getting hammered and fighting or trying to beat their children and...
I grew up in the south. Folks kinda policed their own. If someone was out of line---it got handled. Most laws aren'the required and it's amazing how they creep over time. God, we are all pussies.
10/10/2015 12:24pm
I don't think it's an issue with people riding on the track. If anything, i would check the people leaving. It's not uncommon for me to drink a couple tall cans and hang out after motos if friends are there.
JMR1976
10/10/2015 1:39pm
I always enjoy a few drinks before my moto helps loosen me up. Gives me some balls!
Wandell
10/10/2015 2:18pm
I would think the track owners/promoters didn't just one day pull this out of their butts. I would imagine there was an issue, incident or complaints that caused this. Also, as a LEO, if one of our track owners called and requested one of our officers come out to randomly test riders, I would tell them that would fall under a personal/private security issue and they would have to hire an off duty officer to do this. Riding through the pits and making sure no one is acting like a fool or breaking the law is one thing, but to administer random breath test to racers isn't a police issue. Just saying, their had to have been a serious concern for them to go that far.

Post a reply to: Breath testing at the track?

The Latest