Boring track

3/9/2014 7:22pm Edited Date/Time 3/10/2014 9:58pm
3 racers and my wife watched the race last night, everyone watching thought that was the most boring track they had ever seen on TV. (of course, I watched the season opening GP race, which was worse).

Nothing to do with the shortening of the track to make 1 minute lap times, just plain boring.

Anyone else feel that way?
|
Renner153
Fantasy
3544th
3/9/2014 7:30pm
I agree. And a few people I was sitting with also agreed. And they weren't just anybody's either. I just don't think Carmichael has the creativity to build a good track IMO. It's time for a change. Let either Pastrana or Stewart design a track. Or let Jason baker from dream traxx build a track next year. I bet it would be way better.
hartebreak
Fantasy
246th
3/9/2014 8:04pm
I've always thought it would be cool if they ran the track down a ways and have a 5th gear tapped straight with a flat track style sweeper kind of like Vegas only faster, or perhaps a 100 yard long 50 foot wide beach sand section. With all that room it is a shame they don't have 2 or 3 option lanes with completely different obstacle's on each side. With no stadium confines, there is so much room for them to make the track, I feel they leave a lot on the table.
bd
3/9/2014 8:08pm
Let Gary Bailey make the tracks. Lets REMEMBER, Daytona is a unique race within the series. Its not supposed to be like A1, PHX, Dallas, ATL etc.
Crush
3/9/2014 8:09pm
hartebreak wrote:
I've always thought it would be cool if they ran the track down a ways and have a 5th gear tapped straight with a flat track...
I've always thought it would be cool if they ran the track down a ways and have a 5th gear tapped straight with a flat track style sweeper kind of like Vegas only faster, or perhaps a 100 yard long 50 foot wide beach sand section. With all that room it is a shame they don't have 2 or 3 option lanes with completely different obstacle's on each side. With no stadium confines, there is so much room for them to make the track, I feel they leave a lot on the table.
Isn't it only on that little stretch of grass?

The Shop

hartebreak
Fantasy
246th
3/9/2014 8:19pm
hartebreak wrote:
I've always thought it would be cool if they ran the track down a ways and have a 5th gear tapped straight with a flat track...
Crush wrote:
Isn't it only on that little stretch of grass?
yea but they have plenty of grass not touched and I'm sure they could put dirt on pit row if needed as well.
twizzler
3/9/2014 8:31pm
Agree, boring track. I was bored watching the race. I've been watching Daytona SX since the mid 80's. I honestly thought last nights track and race was the most boring ever. The track in 05' when they shortened it up to mimic stadium lap times was bad also. But this years just didn't do it for me at all. Maybe it was good for the racers, but as a fan it was a snoozer and didn't seem technical at all with exception of a few ruts on jump faces. I bet RC has his hands tied with the track design.
yzjs7
3/9/2014 9:58pm
The track has seemed very similar the last few years.
JeepnMike
3/9/2014 10:09pm
It seemed like there was definitely some one line sections with 180* turns which basically means absolutely zero chance of passing. I wouldn't call the track boring really, the riders made sections and jumps out of obstacles that were meant to slow them down, but there was definitely more one-line sections with parades. The jumps definitely seemed a bit more flat, maybe that is where the boring thoughts are coming from.
jstein639
3/9/2014 10:22pm
Renner153 wrote:
I agree. And a few people I was sitting with also agreed. And they weren't just anybody's either. I just don't think Carmichael has the creativity...
I agree. And a few people I was sitting with also agreed. And they weren't just anybody's either. I just don't think Carmichael has the creativity to build a good track IMO. It's time for a change. Let either Pastrana or Stewart design a track. Or let Jason baker from dream traxx build a track next year. I bet it would be way better.
I remember when Pastrana designed the sx (St. Louis?) it was awesome and had multiple lines. He made a rythm section and no one could jump the triple in it if I remember right. If I remember correctly he had a unique finish line as opposed to the cookie cutter 70' finish double.
bvm111
3/9/2014 11:26pm
Man I thought I was the only one, happy I'm not going crazy and sad for Daytona SX at the same time.

I am not saying anything negative about the goat or his ability to design a track... Whistling
shanes
3/10/2014 12:41am
Renner153 wrote:
I agree. And a few people I was sitting with also agreed. And they weren't just anybody's either. I just don't think Carmichael has the creativity...
let Jason baker from dream traxx build a track next year

this give him open book to do what he wants , it would be something to see
FIREfish148
3/10/2014 1:52am
The racing itself was just kind of lackluster I thought. Don't know how much of it was do to the track?

Usually I'm amped after watching Daytona, this year I was just kind of like... Meehh.
downard254
3/10/2014 3:00am
bd wrote:
Let Gary Bailey make the tracks. Lets REMEMBER, Daytona is a unique race within the series. Its not supposed to be like A1, PHX, Dallas, ATL...
Let Gary Bailey make the tracks. Lets REMEMBER, Daytona is a unique race within the series. Its not supposed to be like A1, PHX, Dallas, ATL etc.
I was actually thinking of starting a post about the the Daytona track used to be when Gary Bailey used to design it. No offense to RC, some of his tracks in previous years were fine, but I think the required shortening played a role in this too. There was nothing very technical to set apart the really talented from the rest.

And this is all just my very humble opinion.
TerryK
3/10/2014 3:07am
hartebreak wrote:
They have all the room in the world there, but making a track that fits into the confines of a live TV broadcast is why the track is the size it is.
EZZA 95B
Fantasy
1062nd
3/10/2014 3:11am Edited Date/Time 3/10/2014 3:27am
If the races went a little differently, would we be saying the same about the track? I think we've become a tad spoiled...

Just had to post this!
Video Credit to TBlaze.Cool ... And Har @ Ralph!
EZZA 95B
Fantasy
1062nd
3/10/2014 3:12am Edited Date/Time 3/10/2014 3:13am
TerryK wrote:
They have all the room in the world there, but making a track that fits into the confines of a live TV broadcast is why the...
They have all the room in the world there, but making a track that fits into the confines of a live TV broadcast is why the track is the size it is.
Yo TK! Workin on 'Denny-sty' right now.Wink
downard254
3/10/2014 3:50am
Wow, see the ninth place finisher there. He was one of our up and coming D-11 riders in the late 80s, but a buddy of mine sent me a news clipping a number of years ago of Mr. Eickle being arrested for bank robbery. They called him the Bono Bandit because at the time he looked like Bono from U2. Weird how some peoples lives turn out.
EZZA 95B
Fantasy
1062nd
3/10/2014 3:59am
downard254 wrote:
Wow, see the ninth place finisher there. He was one of our up and coming D-11 riders in the late 80s, but a buddy of mine...
Wow, see the ninth place finisher there. He was one of our up and coming D-11 riders in the late 80s, but a buddy of mine sent me a news clipping a number of years ago of Mr. Eickle being arrested for bank robbery. They called him the Bono Bandit because at the time he looked like Bono from U2. Weird how some peoples lives turn out.
HaHaHa, I know the story and have seen the pictures... Sorry, I shouldn't laugh but, he did look like Bono for sure!Laughing
yzweldon
3/10/2014 4:23am
Supercross as a whole has become a snorefest. Bring on the Real Deal and the Outdoors Proton
yzweldon
3/10/2014 4:24am
Pronto. Stupid smart phone
motoBRD
3/10/2014 5:16am
Watching some of the older Daytonas, it seemed like there was a special flow to the track different than an indoor sx. It wasn't just straight lines with 180s. That is a big difference I notice. It needs something new. Every year for a while now you have the long straight in front of the stands with sidebyside video. And the other long straight on the pit lane side that cuts in front of the start. So many long straights with not a lot of flow. Just my observation.
MtnBoy
3/10/2014 7:11am
I hate to admit, but it was kinda boring....like yzjs7 said, seems like pretty much the same track for the last couple years.

The one thing that might hold them back from doing anything too crazy is an underground sprinkler system, seems like I read one time the track can't go certain places because of the sprinklers, I could be wrong though.
steven329
3/10/2014 7:18am
I think it would be awesome if the rider who won at each track the previous year designed the track for the next year.
moto314
3/10/2014 7:33am
As far as Daytona tracks go it was short and mild, but as far as the tracks so far this year, I thought it was one of the best.
SEE ARE125
3/10/2014 8:06am
In GuyB's interview with RC, RC said they were limited on where they could and couldn't go due to drainage. I imagine he's talking about drainage for runoff from the banking on the front stretch of the track, so as the water doesn't flood pit road.
jasonv43
3/10/2014 8:08am
Blame RV and Baggett.
dsmith
Fantasy
1294th
3/10/2014 8:18am
someone that raced in the early-mid 80's should design all the tracks!!!
DreamTraxx
3/10/2014 8:21am
Thanks for the props to have us build it. But, you have to give credit where credit is due. RC, Bates, and Barnett probably have several restraints put on them as far as what they can do. Barnett and Bates are great track builders, but you can only create what the 'bosses' allow, and can only do so much with the dirt that they have to work with. Don't get me wrong - I would love to build Daytona, and if I was given free reign, I can guarantee we would build something spectacular. But, free reign probably does not come easily!

Post a reply to: Boring track

The Latest