Boots

Magnus55
Edited Date/Time 12/8/2015 7:50am
Hey, I ride with the Instinct boot right now, but they are a bit to small. I'm looking at the Sidi Crossfire 2 SRS and the Alpinestars Tech 10, which one should I choose. Thanks. Smile
|
kkawboy14
12/7/2015 9:18am
Instinct one size bigger than I normally wear. I have the yellow and white, awesome boot!
Spooner
12/7/2015 9:20am
I would read the 7,000 other threads asking what boots to buy in the last month Smile
Roostermx58
12/7/2015 9:23am
They are all good boots. You are going to get a lot of opinions on what riders prefer. All boots are going to fit each individual differently. I have reviews of the most common boots on the website linked below under the "review" tab.

The Shop

12/7/2015 10:49am
I always see a lot of reccomendations for tech 10s. They have to be the worst. They are heavy, the buckles suck, the soles suck. sidi crossfire 2s and gaerne sg12 are both a better made boot. might not be what is "in" with the basic bro crowd, but ive owned them all simultaneously, and that's my opinion.
Grieby54
12/7/2015 10:52am
I think I'll just start posting this picture in every boot thread that rolls up.

I'm sure Sidis would be fantastic for offroad use, but if you're going to be doing much jumping, I'd look elsewhere.
mx_563
12/7/2015 11:06am
Grieby54 wrote:
I think I'll just start posting this picture in every boot thread that rolls up. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/12/01/113302/s1200_image.jpg[/img] I'm sure Sidis would be fantastic for offroad use, but...
I think I'll just start posting this picture in every boot thread that rolls up.

I'm sure Sidis would be fantastic for offroad use, but if you're going to be doing much jumping, I'd look elsewhere.
Oh shit! I was about to pull the trigger on these but now I'm not so sure. I smashed my big toe in a pair of tech 8s in 2014 (compound shattered it, real nasty injury). It was during an enduro. I didn't even see what I hit and I didn't even crash. I think I hit a root sticking out of an embankment along a trail.

Eleven and a half months later I'm out at Milestone and I broke three metatarsals wearing a set of tech 10s. Landed in soft dirt from a jump and my foot got wrapped around my footpeg.

I started thinking maybe Alpinestars wasn't the way to go. Thought Sidi was more robust with all the plastic. The above picture really scares me though. Dang. What to do....?
12/7/2015 11:14am
Hey look, some kid was able to bend a boot that has no foot, and no leg inside of it. This is definitely conclusive evidence and extensive research on ankle support. I'd buy my boots based on that.
c0ncEpT
12/7/2015 11:18am
I love the fact that the Sidi's bend like that. Its a huge plus that the Sidi and Gaerne have pivot. It actually gives you positive feeling with the shifter and brake levers. My biggest gripe with the A-stars is they are as stiff as a board.
mx_563
12/7/2015 12:24pm
Hey look, some kid was able to bend a boot that has no foot, and no leg inside of it. This is definitely conclusive evidence and...
Hey look, some kid was able to bend a boot that has no foot, and no leg inside of it. This is definitely conclusive evidence and extensive research on ankle support. I'd buy my boots based on that.
I don't know about you but I'm not depending on the foot/leg to provide structural integrity to the boot. I'm depending on the boot to provide the structural integrity.

Do you really think the picture would be more telling if there was a foot in the boot?
Grieby54
12/7/2015 12:25pm
Hey look, some kid was able to bend a boot that has no foot, and no leg inside of it. This is definitely conclusive evidence and...
That's exactly the point, Einstein. If the boot isn't going to stop your toes from touching your shin, it's going to be up to your bones and ligaments to do that. The boot is being bent to the point of destroying something in your ankle with one hand. I'd challenge you to get a Tech 10 to bend that far without some serious force.
Grieby54
12/7/2015 12:26pm
mx_563 wrote:
I don't know about you but I'm not depending on the foot/leg to provide structural integrity to the boot. I'm depending on the boot to provide...
I don't know about you but I'm not depending on the foot/leg to provide structural integrity to the boot. I'm depending on the boot to provide the structural integrity.

Do you really think the picture would be more telling if there was a foot in the boot?
Bingo.
tempura
12/7/2015 2:38pm
I've had the sidi's and they have the worst ankle support of the bunch, fact..
They are great if you like a very flexible boot. But in all honesty a very flexible boot isn't going to provide the protection some of us want or need.
You mention the tech 10's being heavy, have you weighed them? I think you'll find them to Have a very competitive weight for the amount of protection they offer and with the bootie.
brimx153
12/7/2015 4:11pm
boots are designed to have feet in them . bending them like with no foot in them , proves nothing . you can do the same with most boots . imo . A Stars are crap, they might be a good comfortable boot ,has good protection . but unless you are loaded they are usless . they fall apart. the soles are crap .if u have decents pegs on your bike .they we wear out within 6 months . thats alot of money for only 6 months use. sidi and garene are every bit as good and last 5 times longer
mb
12/7/2015 4:20pm
Generally the nicer the boot the more flex/comfort it provides. Often this leads to less ankle protection. My tech 3's are nice and stiff, and have held up to a full year of riding just fine. No boot will protect you from everything, but some are definitely more protective than others.
Spooner
12/7/2015 4:21pm
brimx153 wrote:
boots are designed to have feet in them . bending them like with no foot in them , proves nothing . you can do the same...
boots are designed to have feet in them . bending them like with no foot in them , proves nothing . you can do the same with most boots . imo . A Stars are crap, they might be a good comfortable boot ,has good protection . but unless you are loaded they are usless . they fall apart. the soles are crap .if u have decents pegs on your bike .they we wear out within 6 months . thats alot of money for only 6 months use. sidi and garene are every bit as good and last 5 times longer
Have you actually used the current tech 10? I've found they hold up quite well.
JB 19
12/7/2015 4:22pm
Tore my Achilles this post summer in Fox Instincts. When I started riding again I have been wearing them only for trail riding and my old stiff Tech 7's for moto. I actually like stiff boots for moto. Bought into the hype on the hinged boots and after all these years of wearing stiff boots within a month of wearing a cushy hinged boot I end up with a bizzar injury.
brimx153
12/7/2015 4:24pm
Grieby54 wrote:
That's exactly the point, Einstein. If the boot isn't going to stop your toes from touching your shin, it's going to be up to your bones...
That's exactly the point, Einstein. If the boot isn't going to stop your toes from touching your shin, it's going to be up to your bones and ligaments to do that. The boot is being bent to the point of destroying something in your ankle with one hand. I'd challenge you to get a Tech 10 to bend that far without some serious force.
no its not . when you bend a boot like that . places in the boot flex ,that would not be able to flex ,ie the whole calf area which will push out the hinges to stop this sort of bending . it will put no stress on the calf muscle at all . what you are doing in that picture is stupid . has no baring on how the boot will bend . (roll a piece of paper into a cylinder, try bend it in the middle . its hard to do . no squash the same piece of paper , it easy as hell to bend now )
stackman17
12/7/2015 4:32pm Edited Date/Time 12/7/2015 4:42pm
I had broken my right ankle and tib/fib in Tech 7s in the past. This past year, I bought the Side crossfire. About third ride out, I flat landed a jump and broken my ankle and heel. Bad luck or boot? I don't know.
brimx153
12/7/2015 4:32pm
brimx153 wrote:
boots are designed to have feet in them . bending them like with no foot in them , proves nothing . you can do the same...
Spooner wrote:
Have you actually used the current tech 10? I've found they hold up quite well.
unfortunately i have .A big waste of money . not saying there a bad boot . they do a good job at protection,and are comfy .but i feel sidi and garene are every bit as good and last alot longer , i got 3 years out of sidi s ,2 year s out of sg10s . 6 months out of tech 10 s. and i know a hell of alot of people who were the same as me , if you got good wear out of your tech 10s i still would beat you you d get alot longer out of the other too brand s jmo
tempura
12/7/2015 4:47pm
brimx153 wrote:
unfortunately i have .A big waste of money . not saying there a bad boot . they do a good job at protection,and are comfy .but...
unfortunately i have .A big waste of money . not saying there a bad boot . they do a good job at protection,and are comfy .but i feel sidi and garene are every bit as good and last alot longer , i got 3 years out of sidi s ,2 year s out of sg10s . 6 months out of tech 10 s. and i know a hell of alot of people who were the same as me , if you got good wear out of your tech 10s i still would beat you you d get alot longer out of the other too brand s jmo
I'll agree about the tech 10's not lasting as long, but they are in no way junk. I've had mine for over a year and the soles show Some foot peg wear, but it's hardly more than any other boot. The buckles are great. I have some wear on the inside black rubber grip. It's starting to tear. Apart from that they have been great. I'll accept that wear for the protection and comfort they offer.
I found the sidi's less comfortable and much less protection.
The SG's hold up really well.
It's true the older alpinestars held up better than the newer offerings, I still have an old pair of tech 8's and they are bullet proof.
86honda
12/7/2015 4:56pm
I always see a lot of reccomendations for tech 10s. They have to be the worst. They are heavy, the buckles suck, the soles suck. sidi...
I always see a lot of reccomendations for tech 10s. They have to be the worst. They are heavy, the buckles suck, the soles suck. sidi crossfire 2s and gaerne sg12 are both a better made boot. might not be what is "in" with the basic bro crowd, but ive owned them all simultaneously, and that's my opinion.
dude you are on point. the tech Alpine boots blow donkey for many reasons. the Garne boots are like butta!
Rich Piano
12/7/2015 5:27pm Edited Date/Time 12/7/2015 5:30pm
I'm waiting for JT or Max to send me a pair of new Fly Sectors to compare to my SG10's and 12's.

I've been a Gaerne Faithful since 1981(I've had a few others here and there, and alot were great, some OK.)
I've been running Fly stuff forever too, gear, bars, all kinds of stuff, but not
Fly Sectors yet, and I hear they are awesome.................

loftyair
12/7/2015 5:45pm
Just my opinion, astar sucks! They simply don't last. Now, it depends on how often you ride and how hard you are on the boot. Fit and comfort play a big part of course. Astar simply do not last, and are friggin huge! Sidi best, then gaerne, and hi point! If you don't ride a lot, don't care about how big and heavy, and they fit like a glove, then astar for you!
12/7/2015 11:16pm Edited Date/Time 12/7/2015 11:18pm
No boot is going to prevent damage due to hyper-dorsiflexion when you case a huge gap at 35+ mph and land with the balls of your feet on the pegs. I cased hard a few years back, and fractured my right wrist without even crashing. I knew I was going to case, pinned it, got over the front, and moved both my feet forward on the pegs. Hit, bounced, and rode it out. After I bounced out of it...I knew before I landed again that I had just broken my wrist. Ankles/legs were fine...though I did BREAK a stock yamaha YZ250f Ti footpeg. I was wearing Sidis.

If I had not moved my feet forward...I would have probably broken both ankles...no matter what boot I was wearing. And I could have been wearing other brands of boots...and I would not have still been fine because I moved my feet forward.

Anyone who thinks a boot is going to protect from massive HDF does not have a feel for the magnitude of the forces involved (ie..the broken footpeg). If you want to protect from HDF...use steel ankle saver footpegs. That is about the only think that really has the strength to resist these magnitudes of forces.
HenryA
12/8/2015 3:30am
SG-12! SG-12! SG-12! SG-12!
Renner153
Fantasy
3583rd
12/8/2015 5:31am
Buy yourself some TCX and then thank me later Wink
Grieby54
12/8/2015 6:06am
Just saying [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/12/07/114404/s1200_tech10.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/12/07/114405/s1200_tcx.jpg[/img]
Just saying

The Alpinestars boot is still not bending at the ankle like the Sidi. The Sidi boot pictured above is not distorted in any way. The calf area isn't folding or crumpling in - it's simply bending at the hinge at the ankle.

Post a reply to: Boots

The Latest