Boots?!

Tom711
Edited Date/Time 11/16/2019 4:28pm
I'm in need of some new boots, not sure what's gone on but mine (tcx pro) have recently become quite uncomfortable.
I've been looking at the tech 7's, has anyone any experience with them or recommend something else at a similar price?
|
mehow2g
4/7/2015 8:24am
Garne sg10's, do your self a favour and pay the extra they last longer than any Alpinestar and feel good for the first time you wear them.
logan_140
4/7/2015 8:25am
I'm in the market for new boots also. Im thinking some sidis I wear tech 10s now
mehow2g
4/7/2015 8:26am Edited Date/Time 4/7/2015 8:27am
logan_140 wrote:
I'm in the market for new boots also. Im thinking some sidis I wear tech 10s now
Sidi's are also a good choice.

But seriously I can only vouch for SG10's as I own a pair I've done 20 hours on them nothing has broken nor barely scratched and the sole literally has no footpeg wear.
Tom711
4/7/2015 8:27am
A friend of mine had a paire of gaerne boots and they fell apart after not very long so not really wanting to go with them.
I have been looking at the sidid crossfire 2 srs though, loo pretty cool.

The Shop

mehow2g
4/7/2015 8:31am Edited Date/Time 4/7/2015 8:34am
Tom711 wrote:
A friend of mine had a paire of gaerne boots and they fell apart after not very long so not really wanting to go with them...
A friend of mine had a paire of gaerne boots and they fell apart after not very long so not really wanting to go with them.
I have been looking at the sidid crossfire 2 srs though, loo pretty cool.
That's almost hard to believe, if you witnessed that happen that's fair enough to me these almost feel indestructible... I have 2 other buddies who got boots at the same time as me one has SIDI Crossfires they are like new the other has Fox Instincts which are falling apart.

One of them got a free pair of Tech 10's with his bike which were brand new he sold them as they were really uncomfortable they didn't have a pivot maybe they were a last gen Tech 10.
Grieby54
4/7/2015 8:31am
I have well over 50 hours on my Tech 10's and I feel confident that they could go another 50 without issue. They look nearly brand new.
YZ125H1
4/7/2015 8:36am Edited Date/Time 4/7/2015 8:37am
logan_140 wrote:
I've had Sidi Crossfire TA's for a few years now and love them almost no break in required. Only issue is they come in half sizes only (at least when i bought them), run a little narrow, and feel slightly heavy. Would like to try some Garnes next. I went with the TA over the SRS because the SRS boot I did not like the screws in the sole was worried they would vibrate out. The TA is much cheaper than the SRS and I prefer the traditional style sole. The buckle system on the sidis is very well made and everything on the boot is replaceable.
tomm55x
4/7/2015 8:41am
Iv ran A stars tech 8 lights for 5 years and they are still good and comfortable.
Tom711
4/7/2015 8:42am
My friends were the sg12, the stitching came apart. They were replaced without question by the way.
I've actually just remembered he's sold his bike, might be able to get my hands on his boots for a good price :-)
Dtat720
4/7/2015 8:45am
Look at the AXO A2. Pivot ankle like the others, aluminum clasps you can replace.. Fit like a glove and were practically broken in first time i put them on. Under $500 as well. Aside from Sidi, i wont buy another brand again.
sumdood
Fantasy
1267th
4/7/2015 8:46am
I went from tech 8's to tech 7's. They're comfortable but I couldn't shift for anything, the tech 7's are a lot narrower in the toe area and finding the shifter was a challenge. I wound up switching to a hammerhead shifter and bending it to where I could find it without thinking about it but it took some getting used to. Can't comment on the durability cause I've only ridden a handful of times with them. (I wear a size 9) The buckle easy and are comfortable, but the narrowness took some getting used to in the shifting dept.
IWreckALot
4/7/2015 8:47am
mehow2g wrote:
Garne sg10's, do your self a favour and pay the extra they last longer than any Alpinestar and feel good for the first time you wear...
Garne sg10's, do your self a favour and pay the extra they last longer than any Alpinestar and feel good for the first time you wear them.
I bought the Gaerne Reacts (cause I was dumb and decided to get the cheaper Gaerne's). The boots are super stiff and I've ridden in them for several months now. I have to bend my knee awkwardly to hit the shifter. I'm going to try to raise the shifter this weekend to see if that helps any.

My question is, are the SG10's stiff? My previous boots were the Fox Comp 5. They were super comfortable out of the box and had some good flexibility. They probably weren't as protected, but I could shift easy in them.
mehow2g
4/7/2015 8:53am Edited Date/Time 4/7/2015 8:56am
mehow2g wrote:
Garne sg10's, do your self a favour and pay the extra they last longer than any Alpinestar and feel good for the first time you wear...
IWreckALot wrote:
I bought the Gaerne Reacts (cause I was dumb and decided to get the cheaper Gaerne's). The boots are super stiff and I've ridden in them...
I bought the Gaerne Reacts (cause I was dumb and decided to get the cheaper Gaerne's). The boots are super stiff and I've ridden in them for several months now. I have to bend my knee awkwardly to hit the shifter. I'm going to try to raise the shifter this weekend to see if that helps any.

My question is, are the SG10's stiff? My previous boots were the Fox Comp 5. They were super comfortable out of the box and had some good flexibility. They probably weren't as protected, but I could shift easy in them.
Stiff in what area? the shin guard or the foot area? I honestly haven't noticed any problems, my buying experience was like this I tried Tech 10's too narrow for my feet tried the SG10's I instantly knew they are the ones after a few steps around.

I defiantly am a fanboy of the brand it was the best purchase I've made next time if they boots fail on me it will be SG12's.
Steadman
4/7/2015 8:56am
I DO NOT recommend the new Alpinestars Tech 7. It's a fantastic boot but the sole insert is horrible. Chunks and wears out fast. I've owned over a dozen different pairs of Alpinestars over the years and have enjoyed them but they have shit the bed with the new sole insert. Customer service wasn't that great either.
Tom711
4/7/2015 9:03am
My feet are anything but narrow so that rules out the Astars. I'll pester my pal see if he'll sell me his sg12's for a good price, if not I'll have a try of the sg10's, I'm sure my local shop stocks gaerne. Cheers for all the advice guys.
Agent717
4/7/2015 9:09am
logan_140 wrote:
YZ125H1 wrote:
I've had Sidi Crossfire TA's for a few years now and love them almost no break in required. Only issue is they come in half sizes...
I've had Sidi Crossfire TA's for a few years now and love them almost no break in required. Only issue is they come in half sizes only (at least when i bought them), run a little narrow, and feel slightly heavy. Would like to try some Garnes next. I went with the TA over the SRS because the SRS boot I did not like the screws in the sole was worried they would vibrate out. The TA is much cheaper than the SRS and I prefer the traditional style sole. The buckle system on the sidis is very well made and everything on the boot is replaceable.
Previously rode in SG10s. I've got about 50 hours in my Crossfire SRS.

Crossfire SRS
+ Super light, no hassle buckles, great mobility, can actually feel the controls, easy to keep looking new
- Very narrow, don't feel quite the level of protection of the SG10s

SG10
+ Very secure feeling, price makes them a fantastic value, basically no break in (because they stay stiff)
- Heavy, large/stiff toe box feels clumsy, formed weird bend in the leather that rubbed on my ankle, buckles are a bitch, white turned to yellow pretty quick
4/7/2015 9:10am
I got a pair of Sidi's from someone that is much, much, much faster than me. Even with this uber fast guy using them multiple times then me using them at a couple of National Enduros, local races and riding sweep a few places, they're still in excellent shape. They could stand to have the sole replaced, but other than that they've held up excellent!
Trav138
4/7/2015 9:11am Edited Date/Time 4/7/2015 9:13am
Tom711 wrote:
My friends were the sg12, the stitching came apart. They were replaced without question by the way. I've actually just remembered he's sold his bike, might...
My friends were the sg12, the stitching came apart. They were replaced without question by the way.
I've actually just remembered he's sold his bike, might be able to get my hands on his boots for a good price :-)
C'mon bro just break down and buy a pair of boots you can do it. Do you really want your buddies sweaty stinky boots lol?
I never had the desire to buy used boots, buy many other things used, just not boots
mx836
4/7/2015 9:15am
mehow2g wrote:
That's almost hard to believe, if you witnessed that happen that's fair enough to me these almost feel indestructible... I have 2 other buddies who got...
That's almost hard to believe, if you witnessed that happen that's fair enough to me these almost feel indestructible... I have 2 other buddies who got boots at the same time as me one has SIDI Crossfires they are like new the other has Fox Instincts which are falling apart.

One of them got a free pair of Tech 10's with his bike which were brand new he sold them as they were really uncomfortable they didn't have a pivot maybe they were a last gen Tech 10.
My boots and bike were brand new at the same time so I knew how much ride time I had on my Gaerne's. By the time I got to 20 hrs, the left foot peg (stock) had worn completely through the sole. And I mean completely through.
Tom711
4/7/2015 9:18am
Trav138 wrote:
C'mon bro just break down and buy a pair of boots you can do it. Do you really want your buddies sweaty stinky boots lol? I...
C'mon bro just break down and buy a pair of boots you can do it. Do you really want your buddies sweaty stinky boots lol?
I never had the desire to buy used boots, buy many other things used, just not boots
Haha, I think he's only wore them once before selling his bike. I definitely wouldn't be buying a well used pair of boots.
jpatz319
Fantasy
1295th
4/7/2015 9:38am
Look at the Fox Instincts. They feel a sneaker and require no break in.
Tom711
4/7/2015 9:42am
I've heard a lot of people complain about the instincts not holding up, especially the buckles/straps.
jpatz319
Fantasy
1295th
4/7/2015 9:53am
Tom711 wrote:
I've heard a lot of people complain about the instincts not holding up, especially the buckles/straps.
They are holding up better than my Tech 10's. I had to hammer my buckles shut on them plus Im a fan of the small toe box.
mnomis484
4/7/2015 9:56am
I put 130 hours on my sg10`s, then gave them to a beginner friend who put another 20 hours on them (and more to come).
I just bought new ones because they started getting soft but other than that they were still in very good shape.

I now have the new sg11 boot, which i like a lot too. No wear yet after 30 hours.
4/7/2015 10:04am
Tom711 wrote:
I'm in need of some new boots, not sure what's gone on but mine (tcx pro) have recently become quite uncomfortable. I've been looking at the...
I'm in need of some new boots, not sure what's gone on but mine (tcx pro) have recently become quite uncomfortable.
I've been looking at the tech 7's, has anyone any experience with them or recommend something else at a similar price?
I have just got rid of my Tech 7's and to be brutally honest they were near the worst boots I have ever owned.

In terms of comfort the boots weren't bad, their downfall lay with the clips, even after wearing the boots for a year the clips were still very hard to clip in but worst of all near impossible to clip out.

I often found myself out of breath before I even got on the bike and after a good hard ride there is nothing worse than struggling to get your boots off.

My recommendation would be the Tech 8's if you're willing to pay a bit extra. I've recently just got a pair and they're great, comfortable but best of all easy to put on and take off.

nytsmaC
4/7/2015 10:14am
Gaerne SG12's. I have somewhere in the range of 150-200 hours on mine and they have been flawless. Original soles and they'll go another 50-100 hours easily. Most comfortable boots ever.
IWreckALot
4/7/2015 10:24am
mehow2g wrote:
IWreckALot wrote:
I bought the Gaerne Reacts (cause I was dumb and decided to get the cheaper Gaerne's). The boots are super stiff and I've ridden in them...

mehow2g wrote:
Stiff in what area? the shin guard or the foot area? I honestly haven't noticed any problems, my buying experience was like this I tried Tech...
Stiff in what area? the shin guard or the foot area? I honestly haven't noticed any problems, my buying experience was like this I tried Tech 10's too narrow for my feet tried the SG10's I instantly knew they are the ones after a few steps around.

I defiantly am a fanboy of the brand it was the best purchase I've made next time if they boots fail on me it will be SG12's.
Stiff in the foot/sole area. I can't bend my toe under the shifter like I could with the Comp 5's. I used to be able to shift with the side of my foot but the Gaerne Reacts don't allow for that for some reason. I have a feeling the stiffer sole provides better protection so maybe I should just find a way to deal with it?
Spooner
4/7/2015 10:26am
I recently started wearing the Tech 7's and love them so far. I think some of you guys don't know they came out with an all new version about 18 months ago. The buckles are killer, the toe box is way slimmer to get under the shifter, and a lot more comfortable. I had tech 10's before and I liked them but I mostly ride woods and the extra weight and support of the 10's made them harder to shift and wore my weak ass legs out over a 2 hour hare scramble. Can't say a ton about durability yet, soles look great other than the inside toe where it hits the peg when kick starting has a couple small pieces chunked out. The area under the arch looks perfect and I run aftermarket pegs. For $350 they are hard to beat IMHO.

Post a reply to: Boots?!

The Latest